test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I'm a crazy person

deadman20deadman20 Posts: 1,529 Arc User
But you all knew that. Anyway, I come to you today with something rather radical and shouldn't be at all considered a real suggestion. This is more to throw the idea out there and discuss it openly rather than asking for new features. Keep in mind that NONE of this is in regard to any sort of relative power/strength anything provides. It's more of a theoretical mechanical revamp.

This crazy idea came to mind, but what if we did away with Specializations and then revamped Passives and Forms altogether? The details I were thinking of involved Passives being more or less considered Specializations, not Powers. Forms, well, their bonuses are more or less an extra passive boost, so why not make Forms be worthy of an actual power choice instead of another layer of power? Perhaps it's better I show an example of this idea.

Say, we are more or less given 5 Passive points across the entirety of the game, again acting similarly to how Specializations do now. Each Power set would have 3 Passive types, Offense, Defense, and Utility. We are allowed to invest our 5 points any which way we choose up to a max of 3 points in one Passive type. Say we're an Electricity user for example, with theoretical in-set passives being a major boost to Electricity damage and a Minor boost to All Energy as an Offensive passive, a moderate amount of Electricity Resistance and minor self-healing from utilizing Negative Ions as the in-set Defensive passive, and Reduced Cost and Increased Strength on in-set CC abilities as Electricity's Utility passive. We could invest solely into these in-set passives in any which way we desire up to a max of 3.

Oh, and if we wanted to grab Electricity's toggled form, it could be something more along the lines of retaliating against attackers with an arc of electricity instead of having the form be a simple stacking boost to damage.

Now, what if we decided that we wanted to perhaps use a different style of play involving different defenses. We still stick with our main Electricity damage investment with 3 points invested in that. That leaves us 2 points to find our ideal defense or utility options. Maybe we want to invest into the Force Defensive passive, Personal Force Field, which provides a persistent shield that regenerates itself over time. Say it's our character projecting a static absorption field that dampens incoming attacks. Maybe we decide one point is fine here, and use the other on our Electricity defensive passive and mix the two together.

With all 5 points invested, 3 in Offense, 2 in Defense, we've created a passive combination that reflects our new Static-themed character. We lose out on Utility, but that's on us.

Now, what if we wanted to make a new healer? Passives would be more or less reverted to Specs, what happens to our Auras? Well, what if we made THOSE our toggled forms instead? Those are still taken as regular powers, and we can improve them just like the old passives. The benefit here is that it is possible to carry multiple Forms and swap between them as desired. Handy for an Auramancer. PLUS, the new passive components would allow supports to carry varying degrees of Utility to provide. Or allow them to invest more defensively or offensively as needed. Of course, we get a few Passives under Utility that would boost Aura-toggles.

It's not really an easy thing to describe what exactly this idea is, but the more I think about it the more plausible the idea starts to be for a later project. If any of you make sense of it, let me know your thoughts on it. Remember that none of this is a real suggestion, just a thought I figured was interesting and wanted to share. Maybe later on I could provide an example list of the new passives and forms under these mechanics if interested.

Hope you all got a laugh out of this at least if you're not here to actually discuss it.​​
Steam Guide to Modifications and Equipment (Champions Online) - DZPlayer's Builds (Last updated: 3/26/2018)
And I will always be @DZPlayer122.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!

Comments

• spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    deadman20 said:

But you all knew that. Anyway, I come to you today with something rather radical and shouldn't be at all considered a real suggestion. This is more to throw the idea out there and discuss it openly rather than asking for new features. Keep in mind that NONE of this is in regard to any sort of relative power/strength anything provides. It's more of a theoretical mechanical revamp.

This crazy idea came to mind, but what if we did away with Specializations

I'm out \o3o/