test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Same Old Questions

I'm sure the question has been asked many times, but how is the population going? Steam Charts never really goes above 200, but a lot of people don't go through steam. Also, I have a feeling this game has been put on the back burner. While searching the Arc site, Champions Online isn't even listed under "Games". Do they update this game at all or are they just keeping it up to prevent community backlash like City of Heroes did? Fair questions. Any answers?

Comments

• Options
    themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    retromnav said:

I'm sure the question has been asked many times, but how is the population going? Steam Charts never really goes above 200, but a lot of people don't go through steam.

We are not a huge number, but you will never get the full picture regarding population because of what you stated above and because a correct study has never been done, over time
    retromnav said:

Also, I have a feeling this game has been put on the back burner.

While it doesn't have the budget of the big games in the Arc stable, CO has been getting more attention from the devs recently than it has in a long time
    retromnav said:

While searching the Arc site, Champions Online isn't even listed under "Games".

Sure it is, I just checked
    retromnav said:

Do they update this game at all or are they just keeping it up to prevent community backlash like City of Heroes did?

Yes, they do update it and no, I don't think what happened to CoH has anything to do with our longevity. You see, Cryptic own the IP and they don't have to answer to many folks as long as the game is paying for itself.
    retromnav said:

Fair questions. Any answers?

Most were fair, the last one had a bit of a far-fetched implication though.

The only real way you can judge how CO is doing is by playing, as any answers are bound to contain subjective opinions
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • Options
    soulforgersoulforger Posts: 1,649 Arc User

retromnav said:

I'm sure the question has been asked many times, but how is the population going? Steam Charts never really goes above 200, but a lot of people don't go through steam.

We are not a huge number, but you will never get the full picture regarding population because of what you stated above and because a correct study has never been done, over time
    retromnav said:

Also, I have a feeling this game has been put on the back burner.

While it doesn't have the budget of the big games in the Arc stable, CO has been getting more attention from the devs recently than it has in a long time
    retromnav said:

While searching the Arc site, Champions Online isn't even listed under "Games".

Sure it is, I just checked
    retromnav said:

Do they update this game at all or are they just keeping it up to prevent community backlash like City of Heroes did?

Yes, they do update it and no, I don't think what happened to CoH has anything to do with our longevity. You see, Cryptic own the IP and they don't have to answer to many folks as long as the game is paying for itself.
    retromnav said:

Fair questions. Any answers?

Most were fair, the last one had a bit of a far-fetched implication though.

The only real way you can judge how CO is doing is by playing, as any answers are bound to contain subjective opinions
    Good answers, very good answers.
  • Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    retromnav said:

Any game where shutting it down will provoke a big enough community backlash to care about is also big enough to make an effort to keep up. CO remains up because it makes enough money to be worth the trouble (Cryptic also seems to use it as a training ground for their higher profile games).
  • Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    The game is small, but has a good community still. There are regular updates, focusing on events and power framework revamps.

Come on in, come on back.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    Also when newbies want to learn end-game stuff we have a bloodthirsty dino, flaming poo flinging ape and Kiga's dogs to feed them to show them how to fight.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters