test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Shazbot!

flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
edited March 2018 in Off Topic
So, this is Shazam.

Hopefully they do the earflaps same thing what happened to Supes stachs..
Hey, atleast it isn't green and animated!
:#

CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
And playing by myself since Aug 2009
Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!

Comments

• biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    How on earth is he not wearing super cool black leather?
    biffsig.jpg
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User

:+1:

zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    Not gonna lie...it looks like it was a struggle to get him into that suit...and not in a good way (I mean he just doesn't look comfortable).

Whilst really bright colours work for cartoons and anime...I would have thought live action would have been toned down slightly...oh well.
  • beezeezebeezeeze Posts: 927 Arc User
    Is this a movie? Wow. Well at least they got the costume right. I prefer the name Captain Marvel for this character though.

• beezeezebeezeeze Posts: 927 Arc User
    There can be more than one... multiple universes and all....

• flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited March 2018

Black Adam had dibs on that...
    And, i like that costume. It's not overly armor look-a-like. It's TIGHTS. No weird wires and plates. Like Flash's...
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User

So, this is Shazam.

Hopefully they do the earflaps same thing what happened to Supes stachs..
    Hey, atleast it isn't green and animated!
    :#

DC finally figured out not all their super hero movies have to be dark grim like Batman. Shazam looks spot on. Shazam is a dorky kid that loves being a super hero and his movie should be day glow and dumb as f*&^%.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    Yeah, that's an important point, Nepht. Captain Marvel/Shazam may well be an earthbound god, with powers beyond those of mortal men - but Billy Batson is a kid, and a pretty naive kid at that. And the appearance of the hero form is based on the imaginings (possibly the subconscious imaginings) of the boy. (In the '86 reboot, Dudley noted that Marvel's appearance was remarkably like an idealized version of Billy's father.)

After a certain revelation in issue 1 of Marvel's Infinity Countdown Prime, I don't really see why DC/WB didn't just go ahead with "Captain Marvel" as the character's name (a spread showing that each Captain Marvel across the multiverse has their own fragment of an Infinity Stone - and in a partial frame at the end, you can see the distinctive costume of Freddy Freeman's Captain Marvel Jr). Their option, I suppose - perhaps they feared confusing people who don't know comics, or who, like my roommate, keep confusing who's with which publisher (he keeps asking when I'm going to fight Iron Man or Captain America in Injustice 2).
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    My understanding is that it's a legal issue. Whoever owned the trademark right to the name, "Captain Marvel," allowed them to lapse, and Marvel Comics bought it in the 1960s (when comics characters weren't valued like blue chip stocks as they are today). That's when Marvel launched their own alien "Marv-vell" who used the Captain Marvel name. DC is not legally allowed to use that name on book banners, movie marques, or other advertising for the character; although they continued to in the internal text for their books, and the dialogue for their animated features. I guess they decided that was too crippling to their marketing, so in comics continuity they officially changed his name to Shazam! (Although I don't know how he tells anyone that's his name; doesn't saying it change him back to mortal?)

But the Billy Batson Captain Marvel is one of the oldest comic superheroes, and had been Captain Marvel for seven decades. I'll never be comfortable calling him anything else.
    Can we also get a smattering of applause for how pumped Zachary Levi has gotten? That's as impressive a superhero bod as I've seen from any actor. IMHO the juxtaposition of his boyish face atop that physique will really work for this character.
    nepht said:

DC finally figured out not all their super hero movies have to be dark grim like Batman. Shazam looks spot on. Shazam is a dorky kid that loves being a super hero and his movie should be day glow and dumb as f*&^%.

This is the comic hero whose nickname for generations was, "the Big Red Cheese." ;)
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User

And, i like that costume. It's not overly armor look-a-like. It's TIGHTS. No weird wires and plates. Like Flash's...
    Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, I think the costume is amazing. I absolutely HATED (movie) Flash's costume. The armor and those wires was just dumb out loud. I'm just surprised that DC had the balls to go tights, especially considering... everything they've done in the last 30 years or so.
    biffsig.jpg
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited March 2018

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, I think the costume is amazing. I absolutely HATED (movie) Flash's costume. The armor and those wires was just dumb out loud. I'm just surprised that DC had the balls to go tights, especially considering... everything they've done in the last 30 years or so.
    They are going with what works for them. The Wonder Woman movie even though the trailers made it look like the normal DC dark grim when you actually watched it it was full of comic book cheese and zap pow. Its the best DCU film to date. Shazam looks to be even more 4 color zap pow and I might even be able to take my grandson to see this movie. Something I could not really do with any DC or Marvel movie of late.

A few wholesome superhero movies now and then is good thing. It doesn't have to be all about neck snapping then sudden guilt.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User

Aw, you beat me to it. If they do a Black Mary story maybe she'll go there too.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters