test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Skullcrusher... why?

vonqballvonqball Posts: 923 Arc User
So, HW got a re-balancing not too long ago... so there must be a point to this power... right?

The AoE is really small. The damage is lackluster and split between types. It does fire damage, but doesn't apply CF. What does it even doooooo?

It looks cool... you actually use two hands.. and you don't spin around like a dizzy dimwit.

Please sell me on this power's reasons for being in the state it is.

Comments

• lezard21lezard21 Posts: 1,510 Arc User
    The HW revamp wasn't recent. It was 3 or so years ago. Not revamped by current dev team.
  • bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    Split type damage isn't as big of a deal as you might think since the Melee DPS passives just boost all melee damage regardless of type, while tank passives don't care about type at all (and if you want to get technical it's an issue that both Cleave and Brimstone have as well, and those both see plenty of use). No-Quarter will debuff the damage types utilized by Skullcrusher. Arc of Ruin with this advantage, combined with its disorient application, makes it probably the best pairing with this attack when you take both ranks and the Put Them Down advantage.

e: I should also mention, the split damage type also means it can gain some extra damage benefit by using Engulfing Flames abilities such as Firesnake.

It's a narrow AoE which can get a grand total of 5 AP spent on it, so it fits into a very similar niche as Skewer does. And actually at a glance it appears that Skullcrusher does in fact do more damage than it, both in terms of the equal damage it does to everyone hit as well as the damage in total (taking the 1 point advantages out of the equation, on a test character with whatever stats a full-charge Skewer at Rank 1 does 1004 damage. Skullcrusher in the same situation does 526x2 damage, or 1052. Both charges have roughly the same length). Both Skewer and Skullcrusher have their issues as AoEs, as generally most players enjoy using Cleave, Brimstone, and Arc of Ruin itself a lot more, and even when those do lower damage they both perform completely fine against big enemy mobs. Skewer just remains marginally more popular since it used to be broken for Enrage stacking and that its advantages are really easy to use, and raise its damage potential a bit above that of Skullcrusher.

So in short, Skullcrusher synergizes better with the core components of HW a lot better than Skewer does. I'd argue that Skewer is in a worse position than Skullcrusher is honestly (unless you're doing a weird bleed build and even then its bleed effect isn't guaranteed). However that's not saying much in a set that's already loaded with wide-area AoEs that are very easy to use, require less setup, use less energy, and still work extremely well on minions despite the even lower damage.
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

• flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    SC is a stylish alternative to Annihilate- esp if you don't like the latter's KB properties but still want something that can proc Enrage. It lags quite a bit behind Annihilate on knock-immune targets for dps, but its not really that weak when optimized either. I def wouldn't be using it as a normal AoE, though if you can snag an extra target then that's a bonus. SC also allows for movement, while Annihilate still roots you. It also guarantees a Disorient on full charge, so it works w/ its special adv automatically.

It won't fit into a min-maxed HW build, but its decent enough for any other type of HW build.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • vonqballvonqball Posts: 923 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    I agree that skewer also seems pretty bad. Only 50% chance to apply bleed, on a full-charge, is just too unreliable a mechanic.
    lezard21 said:

The HW revamp wasn't recent. It was 3 or so years ago. Not revamped by current dev team.

Guess that is a good reason. I thought they messed with it again since then, for some reason.

• bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    lezard21 said:

Actually closer to 2 years ago, and that was the current Dev team under Kaiserin. (The update included the Rockstar AT. Also featured Kais' rock-lizard OC in some promo shots.)

How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

• chaosdrgnz43chaosdrgnz43 Posts: 1,674 Arc User
    #MakeSkullcrusherGreat
    mfZ37eB.png
    Feel free to visit my websites!^^:
    DeviantART|FurAffinity|
    Twitter
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    I want this power to be good, not Below Mediocre, such a cool animated power
    but as it currently stands Its a bad power in both AoE and Single Target aspect

I tried it in both HW Tank and DPS and even now while revisiting the power and testing it with 3 Debuffs (Demolish, No Quarter and Engulfing Flames) the damage is just inferior to Annihilator and Skewer​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,429 Arc User
    Tap spamming it is a must for any Harley Quinn clone.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!