test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Give the option to the players.

I don't know about the rest of you players, but i hate when i get told that
my progress on my character is out of my hands and behind a wall of timers
set by developers, especially in a game that thrives on alt-characters en masse.

If a player wants to farm a certain dungeon for that special currency to upgrade their
character, it should be left to the player exactly how much they want to farm
to reach their goal faster.

If the system had been based on actual item-drops it would have been a totally different deal
and fully understandable that a timelock was in place to stop players from reaching "endgame items"
on a single day in every slot of their gear. But in this case, we have a system based on requiring
a large amount of currency that is rare & hard to get.. and this is required for each peice.

So already we have this massive requirement for each piece of gear, and by any standards
this should be enough.. but shoving your fist in players faces telling them that their efforts
in gearing up is also heavily restricted behind timelocks is just ridiculous.

Not all players has might have to kill the Cosmics and TA on a daily basis, some players maybe only
has certain days they can go "all out" and farm for these currencys - so we should pay attention to that.
Getting into a TA-raid is very hard for solo players that perhaps can't sit behind the PC for extended
periods of time, which stops them from attending dungeons.

So giving players the options to effectivly farm Cosmic events without any timelock would only be fair
to the playerbase as well as giving the options back to the players how fast we want to upgrade our gear.
It's already hard enough to get Heroic and Mercenary gear without spending 600-1000 gold on AH.

Anyway, enough rambling - give the option to the players.

Comments

• ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    Lol 600 for Merc? No...you don’t ever pay that.
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    What do you want to remove the time lock on, specifically?

Gold and Silver Recognition drops from Cosmics?

Timers for Cosmics?

Both?

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User

^ This.

Please don't ever pay more than 300G for Heroics.

--

GCR and SCR are designed mostly to be locked behind endgame content. This does not seem to be negotiable as many suggestions from players have tried to get the currency to be shared or work in a specific way which allows it to be more friendly account wide but to no avail.

At best, you could farm the Q Zone's "solo" missions on a melee character / build and drag yourself through the gear grind that way...
  • stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    Heroics can be 200g+ per piece. So, 600g minimum sounds about right for the set rate. I usually sell around a piece a month in the 150g range and nearly always have the lowest price if there is any competition at all. I don't know where you get 300g for the set.

I don't really know what to say about the OP. End Game content to me is largely disappointing. If people want to try and chain farm Cosmics, I don't care. The over reliance on dailies kinda sucks. With the terrible drop rates of valuable items just means there really isn't anything for me to do anymore on my level 40 toons. Theory crafting builds is my end game and it doesn't require me to log in.​​
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    The point of daily limits on specific content is to get people to go out and do different things, rather than endlessly repeating the same content. If you have enough time to hit your cosmic cap, you have enough time for TA, and if "can't sit behind the PC for extended periods of time" means "AFK-farms Cosmics", I lack sympathy.
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    I think the point he's trying to make is for people who can't log in every day and spend a few hours farming cosmics and such, but say, one day out of the week they can afford to be on all day. For a person like this, being able to do more than three cosmics per day would make up for not being able to log in the rest of the week.

The problem is that before the gear and rewards systems were overhauled, it was easy to get everything you needed for a character in like a week of casual play. This caused most people to plow through the content and then complain that the game is too easy, anything worth getting can be attained in a week, and that there's never anything to do so they just log off for months. Extending the "grind" might be a false way of expanding content, but it does keep players logged in and playing and working toward stuff.
    biffsig.jpg
  • soulforgersoulforger Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    edited March 2018

Seriously, if you are paying that type of money for a merc gear...you are being used. If you need merc gear, I have some that I can give you for free if you actually need it. I have several I will not ever use. Don't know if they will be the one(s) you want though.

The few times I have sold single pieces of merc gear on the AH, I sold them for at most 20G, and that was for the peices that were deemed "good" back than for merc gear.

Hell, I am not sure why someone would try to sell merc gear for so much. Most people that could use that gear either already have better gear because they do not have many toons or they would buy cheap gear as a place holder while they grind away on cosmics.

Myself would never pay so much for merc gear. I'm a altoholic and a costume manic. I'd rather buy a new costume piece for that price than merc gear. And even than, most times, the costume piece wouldn't normally be worth it.

I will never see why someone would post merc gear for so much, nor would I ever agree to any reason they give. It is just sheer madness and greed is all.

Hell, most merc gear on the AH right now is cheaper than 100g.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    merc is kinda weak anyways.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • pwestolemynamepwestolemyname Posts: 978 Arc User
    LOL You guys are focusing on the wrong part of the OP, merc prices aren't relevant. I do agree that farm limits are stupid. And, I do understand where he's coming from. A lot of people work (hopefully) during the week. They might only have Saturday to play. They could run a bunch of TA and Cosmics in a full 10-12 hours of playing, but they don't get the rewards for doing so. Meanwhile, someone who plays a couple hours every day is putting in the same amount of gametime, but is able to get way more rewards.

The question I have is why do the devs reward playing for small amounts of time many days per week, as opposed to large time blocks a few days a week? It makes no sense why they would prefer that.
    - - - - -
    SIGNATURE:
    Used to be coach on the forums. Still @coach in game.

LOL You guys are focusing on the wrong part of the OP, merc prices aren't relevant. I do agree that farm limits are stupid. And, I do understand where he's coming from. A lot of people work (hopefully) during the week. They might only have Saturday to play. They could run a bunch of TA and Cosmics in a full 10-12 hours of playing, but they don't get the rewards for doing so. Meanwhile, someone who plays a couple hours every day is putting in the same amount of gametime, but is able to get way more rewards.

The question I have is why do the devs reward playing for small amounts of time many days per week, as opposed to large time blocks a few days a week? It makes no sense why they would prefer that.

Well, naw, limits...will always exist, they exist in the vast majority of games out there. There is a reason for that. So, it is pointless to even argue against it.
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
    I completely understand. Clever devs could find away to let those who can only play one day a week, but binge that day, get the same reward as people who log in just for an hour or two each day. No sense penalizing people who want to invest the same amount of the time in a game but are restricted to particular days.

JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
    The point of daily limits on specific content is to get people to go out and do different things, rather than endlessly repeating the same content.

What different things? There really isn't anything to do for GCR that isn't a daily or has a cooldown. The "end game" in CO is minuscule. Besides, we wouldn't have event spam if dailies were what brought everyone to the game. Dailies are that thing games to do artificially extend the life of content and slow down the no-lifers so devs don't have to make so much stuff.

Since dailies clearly aren't effective in keeping most people in the game between events, I say go ahead and remove the Cosmic timer. Or the devs can add a LOT more "end game" content so that people like the OP have plenty of things to do on their day off.​​
  • diggotdiggot Posts: 309 Arc User
    If this game is based on creating alts instead of getting that "endgame supergear" like Sulfuros hammer in wow or similar - then the gear we have to acquire for our numerous characters shouldn't take 6-12 months farming for each, due to rng or "bad luck".

I can't be online at all times.. so i haven't been able to run a single Lemurian Rampage in 3 days.. the time i've been online has been focused on killing the Cosmics, which takes usually anywhere from 2-4 hours, for a measly 30SCR and 21GCR... and i need 400/200 for ONE PIECE of Justice.

So the days when i either got time OR the energy to sit down for a real grind, i should be able to
    EFFECTIVLY grind as much currency as i want, without the game telling me *sorry you've reached your quota*.

I have xx level 40 characters and i dont even have a SINGLE PIECE of Justice, simply because Rampage-rng apparently didn't want to drop anything.. And i've had to spend all my SCR on Heroic gear, otherwise all my L40's would be prancing around in blue or Merc gear.
    sterga said:

What different things? There really isn't anything to do for GCR that isn't a daily or has a cooldown.

That's true, but there's more than just the three basic Cosmics.

edited March 2018
    diggot said:

If this game is based on creating alts instead of getting that "endgame supergear" like Sulfuros hammer in wow or similar - then the gear we have to acquire for our numerous characters shouldn't take 6-12 months farming for each, due to rng or "bad luck".

I can't be online at all times.. so i haven't been able to run a single Lemurian Rampage in 3 days.. the time i've been online has been focused on killing the Cosmics, which takes usually anywhere from 2-4 hours, for a measly 30SCR and 21GCR... and i need 400/200 for ONE PIECE of Justice.

So the days when i either got time OR the energy to sit down for a real grind, i should be able to
    EFFECTIVLY grind as much currency as i want, without the game telling me *sorry you've reached your quota*.

I have xx level 40 characters and i dont even have a SINGLE PIECE of Justice, simply because Rampage-rng apparently didn't want to drop anything.. And i've had to spend all my SCR on Heroic gear, otherwise all my L40's would be prancing around in blue or Merc gear.

It doesn't take 6-12 months per piece or toon. Not sure how you came to that conclusion, a frankly, I don't want to know. But, making exaggerations like that is rather asinine. It takes me only about a week for a single piece of gear for one toon (if I felt like it). Or, are you also talking about things like R9 mods? R7 mods is all you really need, R9 doesn't add much more. Or are you talking about maybe playing once or twice per week for maybe less than an hour? In which case, that might be true, taking 6-12 months...but, there is nothing the devs can do for you without breaking the speed players gear up. In the vast majority of games out there (mmos mostly), it takes time to get fully geared, some games even longer for a single toon. If they remove limits, that would mean that the hardcore players would be able to fully gear their toons within days or maybe even hours. And that would break the flow of the game.

After all, as pointed out, there is no real such thing as end game in this game. Grinding cosmics to get the best gear to use it on....what? The cosmics? That's it? Lairs? Lairs and cosmics? As far as I can remember...that is about it as far as end game is concerned. But, that is an issue that most MMOs face. Even WoW had that issue before, the latest expansions for WoW have actually managed to give more to do than just raids though. So, instead of asking the devs to get rid of time restraints and other gates, ask them to add more content. I'd rather have more content than running cosmics more often.

And by more content, I do not mean more cosmics and lairs. Though, it would be fun to see all the other lairs converted to high end lairs. But, we need more end game content.
  • aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    The point of daily limits on specific content is to get people to go out and do different things, rather than endlessly repeating the same content.
    In most cases, daily limits are meant to slow down progress and, during the initial release of new content/rewards, level the playing field so Captain Neckbeard can't get all the new stuff in a few days while everyone else lags behind. The problem is that this content has been out for a long time now, so someone just starting out has a lot of grinding to do if they ever have any hopes of catching up. The only reason I can think of for keeping a daily gate on GCR content at this point is to keep it on life support by ensuring that lots of people will still need to do it many days into the future.

Such is the problem with trying to keep large-group content relevant in a small-town game.​​
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
    diggot said:

The only 'endgame gear' that is RNG based is Justice tokens and a DUC. If you just ignore Justice and go for Distinguished, a full set of primaries is 750 gcr/1,500 scr. You can get 24 gcr/day (average) from 3 cosmics and the cosmic daily. You can 26 from 3 TAs and the daily. In the process, you also get 66 gcr, so you need another 34 scr, which can be done in a lot of ways. There are many sources of SCR. That's 15 days. Even if you only play one day a week, it's under 4 months.
  • pwestolemynamepwestolemyname Posts: 978 Arc User
    aesica said:

In most cases, daily limits are meant to slow down progress and, during the initial release of new content/rewards, level the playing field so Captain Neckbeard can't get all the new stuff in a few days while everyone else lags behind. The problem is that this content has been out for a long time now, so someone just starting out has a lot of grinding to do if they ever have any hopes of catching up. The only reason I can think of for keeping a daily gate on GCR content at this point is to keep it on life support by ensuring that lots of people will still need to do it many days into the future.

Such is the problem with trying to keep large-group content relevant in a small-town game.​​

Can someone PLEASE explain to me why it is SOOOO bad for Captain Neckbeard (paging Lezard, new character name) to get all the new goodies in just a few days? I mean, if it takes an average of 27 hours of grinding to get the UberNew device, why should CN not get it after grinding 27 hours? Who cares if those hours are consecutive or spread out over 6-12 months? It's the exact same number of game hours either way.

Aside from that, what REALLY happens when people hit the cap on whatever their grind-flavor-of-the-moment is, is that they go play a different game for the rest of day. Or they idle in MC while watching YouTube (or YouSomething). As has been pointed out, end-game content is minuscule. You ran your 3 daily Cosmics, run a TA and run an Eido and you're done. I mean, sure, you could run TA and Eido 2 more times each, but come on, seriously? Even if you did, if run properly, you're talking about maybe 4-5 hours, and possibly less. That's not even a decent evening's play for a lot of people, and certainly not a good Saturday of binging.

I guess my complaint is less about the limits and more about the lack of end-game content. What would be nice, and easy to fix, would be if the comic series' dropped anything decent. Fix it so people who run it at level 40 on Elite can get some end-game coinage. Really, there is all that content out there just never getting used. All that work for nothing. Just tweak the rewards and suddenly you would see so much more use of already done content.

- - - - -
    SIGNATURE:
    Used to be coach on the forums. Still @coach in game.
    "Can someone PLEASE explain to me why it is SOOOO bad for Captain Neckbeard (paging Lezard, new character name) to get all the new goodies in just a few days?"

No idea outside of health concerns, but that's something The Captain needs to deal with. Gameplay wise, *shrugs*. People grind the **** out of events and you hear about some getting unlocks in the first few days. No one screams about how unfair it is or really seems to give a toss.​​

Can someone PLEASE explain to me why it is SOOOO bad for Captain Neckbeard (paging Lezard, new character name) to get all the new goodies in just a few days? I mean, if it takes an average of 27 hours of grinding to get the UberNew device, why should CN not get it after grinding 27 hours? Who cares if those hours are consecutive or spread out over 6-12 months? It's the exact same number of game hours either way.

Am I really the only one that remembers people complaining that there's nothing to do in the game because everything they want can be attained in a matter of a few days?

When Heroic gear was the tops, it took a week to get it. People bitched about having the best gear and then having nothing else to do. When events were easier to grind out, people would grab up all the rewards in a week then **** about how everything is too easy to get and the events suck because they're "3 hours worth of content". "Logged in a day in March, got everything I needed for the reward, call me in August when they do another one so I can wreck it in a couple hours then **** some more about how the devs don't give us enough stuff to do."

Now, trust me, I hated when I first heard about all the changes to how gear is attained. I don't get to use my powerhouse character to destroy everything and hand down gear and rewards to my alts? It's gonna take me a month to get fully geared instead of a week? Screw that!

But just a little while into it, I was having fun playing my alts, instead of playing my main to gear my alts. Sure, there's some things I wish you could buy for future characters, like bobblehead aura, but overall I think it's fine. This system keeps people logged in and keeps events populated (not always, but enough, usually). It's better than before. And I have fun playing my fledgling heroes and having them earn their own gear.

My initial reactions to the change of cost and grind time for gear I think was very knee-jerk. I have more fun nowadays and I think the "cosmic group" has grown and has remained steady because of the changes. I think it's all good.
    biffsig.jpg
    aesica said:

Well, the solution is easy, create small group content instead of large group.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User

aesica said:

You may queue for TA whenever you are ready. :D
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • kamokamikamokami Posts: 1,633 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    I'm pretty sure that during cosmic week, when the cooldowns go from 4 hours to just 2 hours, a lot of people talk about they are tired of cosmics...which the devs would not want to be a permanent state of affairs. 4 hours seems like a good amount. It gets people to go do other things and not burn themselves out.

If you want the option to run something non-stop you still can with anything that grants just SCR:
    - Mega Destroid OM
    - Rampages
    - Qzone OMs
    - Qzone Missions

For GCR, you could even run Eidolon pretty much non-stop if you had the kind of people online that could coordinate an unlocking + give you a good shot at success with the final boss.
    - Unlocking: 4 tanks, 2 healers, 4-10 dps
    - Final OM: 1 tank, 3 healers, 10 dps that can deal 55k dmg in 10 seconds to guarantee 2/3 greens going down every time

I also doubt that there are many people hitting the daily cap of 3 TAs per toon....this awards GCR as well.
    Post edited by kamokami on
  • magpieuk2014magpieuk2014 Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    I have more fun nowadays and I think the "cosmic group" has grown and has remained steady because of the changes. I think it's all good.

It's really good that the Cosmics are a success and that people want to play them. But the rest of the "end game" is a disused mess. Put bluntly; small team content is unpopular and PUG/random queue content like Rampages will only ever be popular when reduced to farm status. The Q Zone is deserted.

While the endgame starts at level 40, and with the massive variations in build strength at that level, it will never be possible to create a series of encounters which will encourage the majority of the playerbase to keep playing, and developing, and improving. They'll just get smashed, roll another toon and start over.

I would love to see a new plan based around the end game starting at level 35 - with Rampages becoming the method of levelling to 40, teaching people how to build and gear for powerful bosses, and giving them the means to improve their characters' builds and equipment. It would have plentiful rewards so that people could improve their builds (and their understanding of the game) and get ready for Level 40, rather than this brickwall we currently have.

With regards to the OP I actually don't have a problem with Cosmic timers and the like - it seems sensible to prevent obsessives playing the game to death, winning everything and then complaning that they've got nothing else to do....
    edited March 2018

aesica said:

You may queue for TA whenever you are ready. :D
    I would, but, tis the only small group content in the game. One of the reasons I do not play much of anything beyond changing costumes is because I have done way to many alerts. Now, if there were at least ten lairs...than I can go at it. I also cannot do rampages due to the fact that I do not like how they are set up. Cosmics I did lots of, but, got bored of them when I realized that they were basically gimick fests of one shot kill moves. In short, everything is basically boring to me.

What they really need to do, is sit down and change things up with bosses, make them unpredicatable. As it is, all the bosses are boring. I find wow bosses to be funner...and they are not much better in being unpredicatable or less one shotty. Plus, the fact is, you got to build certain ways to be useful and not die often. Just, no thanks, I want to build my characters the way I want to build them, so I can have fun with them. And while the recent move set revamps have done some good...they have also done some harm. And there are plenty of powers that are still basically worthless to bring to cosmic fights (looking at basically every summon in the game).

So, when they make all powers viable, and bosses less one shot gimicks, and more fun to fight, than I might rejoin. Of course, one of the problem with making them more fun and less one shot, would be that you would lose the danger aspect, which some people like. So, yeah, that is basically my complaints.

Another thing I do not like, is the score meters. Never liked stuff like that. Especially gating rewards behind scores. Many times did I not score high enough simply because for some reason my block was not blocking, thus I died way to often to be of any real use (my main is a healer, kinda hard to heal when I got to run back just in time to die again). But, that part is all on me.

Personally, I like games that give you challenge, but, do not outright kill you for not having the right build, in short, those games reward smart thinking. The cosmics...do not reward smart thinking. I have played some games, that , even if you were super well geared and what not, you could still very easily die if you make a mistake, but, that was less through cheap shots, and more along the ways of you making a mistake.

But, there are other things I could complain about balance wise, but, I won't.
    Am I really the only one that remembers people complaining that there's nothing to do in the game because everything they want can be attained in a matter of a few days?

It's the same complaint: Lack of content. CO basically gets almost no new content. It's largely revamps and event recycling. Taking longer to get things doesn't solve the problem of there not being many things to get or much content to play to get those things. Most new costumes / highly desired items are in a lockbox, cash shop, or an event. Two of those things don't require playing the game.

People farming Cosmics obsessively during Cosmic week does not mean they would do that if the 2 hour cooldown was an all the time thing. Going crazy to farm events happens every single time there is an event. This isn't exclusive to cosmics and neither is that complaint of being tired of the current event.

The Warzone never had many people in it... It basically bombed from day one. Not having any unique drops for that zone didn't help. Why bother with the Warzone when you can get more SCR and GCR from the already existing Cosmics? MI and Canada are also far more pleasant looking zones.

There really isn't any small group content. TA launched with a bunch of bugs that took weeks for the devs to fix. Plus, it is significantly more difficult than the rest of the game and not PUG friendly since there is no role que. Lack of role que and forcing roles is the same problem with Fire & Ice. Idiotic RNG bonus round for F&I. Just suddenly having role based content only at end game is also a problem. Really, there is no smooth ramp up to the difficulty / requirement spike. Mistakes are heavily penalized with team wipes or being totally unable to accomplish anything due to stupid reasons. (not having required roles. not having strong enough toons for roles)

Cosmics go better because even though it's forced role based, the number of non-dps toons needed is tiny. If you don't know what you're doing, it matters a lot less due to there being so many people. Having a gimpy toon matters a lot less due to volume of people. Like most other "new" content, knowing how to do anything only matters for tanks and support. There isn't much reason to make those other roles because they're probably already filled or useless everywhere else in the game. Especially true for silver players and their limited slots. If you buy every character, making a toon you're only going to play once in a blue moon is dumb.

It's the difference between content accessible to new people and content that craps on new people. Negative first time experience can ruin content forever.​​
    sterga said:

People farming Cosmics obsessively during Cosmic week does not mean they would do that if the 2 hour cooldown was an all the time thing. Going crazy to farm events happens every single time there is an event. This isn't exclusive to cosmics and neither is that complaint of being tired of the current event.

No, of course people will always find something to complain about. But when an event can be farmed out in a matter of hours instead of weeks, people complain and then log out. Delayed rewards keep players logged in and running the events/content. Without those people, you're running skeleton crews that have too high a chance of failing and so people give up and the events die.
    biffsig.jpg

Now, if there were at least ten lairs...than I can go at it.

There are. They just don't award GCR.

I also cannot do rampages due to the fact that I do not like how they are set up. Cosmics I did lots of, but, got bored of them when I realized that they were basically gimick fests of one shot kill moves. In short, everything is basically boring to me.

That sounds more like "stuff is too hard!" than "boring".

What they really need to do, is sit down and change things up with bosses, make them unpredicatable. As it is, all the bosses are boring. I find wow bosses to be funner...and they are not much better in being unpredicatable or less one shotty. Plus, the fact is, you got to build certain ways to be useful and not die often. Just, no thanks, I want to build my characters the way I want to build them, so I can have fun with them.

You don't want them unpredictable. You want it to not matter whether you can predict them. Unpredictable is Qwyjibo throwing fireballs that can one-shot most non-tanks at random targets with minimal tells, and it's not exactly a popular feature of that fight.

Personally, I like games that give you challenge, but, do not outright kill you for not having the right build, in short, those games reward smart thinking. The cosmics...do not reward smart thinking. I have played some games, that , even if you were super well geared and what not, you could still very easily die if you make a mistake, but, that was less through cheap shots, and more along the ways of you making a mistake.

If you die at a cosmic, other than the previously mentioned fireballs, someone made a mistake (not always you).
    If you die at a cosmic, other than the previously mentioned fireballs, someone made a mistake (not always you).

True, but that's because Cosmics are content where the team wins by planning, building and executing appropriately. What Soulforger wants (and what I want too) is endgame content where you get the chance to react and adapt to a change in team lineup or enemy behaviours. CO's problem is that it keeps trying to mix the two approaches up within the same content, which is completely wrong; plan-based players loathe significant unpredictability, reactive players hate having to spend time watching YouTube tutorials and rebuilding their characters to match the current success meta; they want to work with what they already have.

Overall I'd rather have more Cosmics in zones like the Desert, Lemuria and Vibora than lower the timer, have Rampages turned into a series of static Supervillian confrontations, a kind of Super Grab! Alert and things like Sky Command pensioned off into UNITY, where you run it as part of a series of dailies for costumes, power replacers, and quirky stuff you can't get anywhere else.
    edited March 2018

Now, if there were at least ten lairs...than I can go at it.

There are. They just don't award GCR.

I also cannot do rampages due to the fact that I do not like how they are set up. Cosmics I did lots of, but, got bored of them when I realized that they were basically gimick fests of one shot kill moves. In short, everything is basically boring to me.

That sounds more like "stuff is too hard!" than "boring".

What they really need to do, is sit down and change things up with bosses, make them unpredicatable. As it is, all the bosses are boring. I find wow bosses to be funner...and they are not much better in being unpredicatable or less one shotty. Plus, the fact is, you got to build certain ways to be useful and not die often. Just, no thanks, I want to build my characters the way I want to build them, so I can have fun with them.

You don't want them unpredictable. You want it to not matter whether you can predict them. Unpredictable is Qwyjibo throwing fireballs that can one-shot most non-tanks at random targets with minimal tells, and it's not exactly a popular feature of that fight.

When I am talking about lairs, I meant ones that reward GCR. Also, my complaint about cosmics isn't that they are to hard, but they are boring. I actually find one shot gimmicks to be boring. Not hard. So, stop trying to put words in my mouth.

"You don't want them unpredictable. You want it to not matter whether you can predict them. Unpredictable is Qwyjibo throwing fireballs that can one-shot most non-tanks at random targets with minimal tells, and it's not exactly a popular feature of that fight."

Not even close to what I meant. If the monkey is going to throw random fireballs, they should not one-shot people, instead do enough damage to be dangerous, but not out right kill people. This is why I am telling you to not put words in my mouth, cause it is obvious you are not even trying to think or understand what I am saying.

"If you die at a cosmic, other than the previously mentioned fireballs, someone made a mistake (not always you)."

This is true, which is one of the reasons I hate one shot gimmiks, one person screwing up can ruin the fun. They can do things very differently that would actually make things fun. But, in my opinion, they would have to work the entire system from the ground up to make it better.

Though, I wouldn't go so far as to say a person screwed up if the DC'd during the fight...that does happen and does cause wipes.

True, but that's because Cosmics are content where the team wins by planning, building and executing appropriately. What Soulforger wants (and what I want too) is endgame content where you get the chance to react and adapt to a change in team lineup or enemy behaviours. CO's problem is that it keeps trying to mix the two approaches up within the same content, which is completely wrong; plan-based players loathe significant unpredictability, reactive players hate having to spend time watching YouTube tutorials and rebuilding their characters to match the current success meta; they want to work with what they already have.

Overall I'd rather have more Cosmics in zones like the Desert, Lemuria and Vibora than lower the timer, have Rampages turned into a series of static Supervillian confrontations, a kind of Super Grab! Alert and things like Sky Command pensioned off into UNITY, where you run it as part of a series of dailies for costumes, power replacers, and quirky stuff you can't get anywhere else.

Basically what magpieuk2014 said.
    edited March 2018

Not even close to what I meant. If the monkey is going to throw random fireballs, they should not one-shot people, instead do enough damage to be dangerous, but not out right kill people.

The way healing works in CO, 'enough damage to be dangerous' means 'outright kills people'. We have oneshot (or near-oneshot, like spine bursts that do 20% damage per second for 6 seconds) mechanics because there's literally nothing else that's dangerous.

Not even close to what I meant. If the monkey is going to throw random fireballs, they should not one-shot people, instead do enough damage to be dangerous, but not out right kill people.

The way healing works in CO, 'enough damage to be dangerous' means 'outright kills people'. We have oneshot (or near-oneshot, like spine bursts that do 20% damage per second for 6 seconds) mechanics because there's literally nothing else that's dangerous.
    Again, you miss my point. Basically, I am saying the mechanics need to change, all across the board, for, that means "true balance." Will never happen though.

Again, you miss my point. Basically, I am saying the mechanics need to change, all across the board, for, that means "true balance." Will never happen though.

Basically, the way to balance things without one-shots is vast nerfs (for example, delete all forms would be a step). Is that what you want?
    If damage is one-shotting people, healers are worthless because they have zero opportunity to do the healing part. You don't have to be a healer to slot in a rez power.
    Basically, the way to balance things without one-shots is vast nerfs (for example, delete all forms would be a step). Is that what you want?

How does deleting all forms help with boss one-shot mechanics? Most forms are DPS. Boss damage is balanced against player healing.​​
    edited March 2018
    sterga said:

If damage is one-shotting people, healers are worthless because they have zero opportunity to do the healing part. You don't have to be a healer to slot in a rez power.

Avoidable one-shots put the onus on the dps to avoid it. Almost all cosmic attacks are one of tankable (shouldn't hit anyone not prepared), effectively blockable, avoidable through proper positioning and movement, or preventable.
    sterga said:

How does deleting all forms help with boss one-shot mechanics?

Only really need to delete Compassion, but no good reason not to keep things even.

C'mon now, exaggerating the consequences of change to that extent is just silly. There certainly are ways to make bosses dangerous or difficult without nerfing player ability or requiring extensive planning - let them apply all the mechanics that players apply on them, stacking damage debuffs and the like, for one, or have significant healing abilities (like Ao-Q'epthoth used to).

edited March 2018

You...really just see nothing but extremes do you? Can't see what can be done, just the extremes from what I can tell by reading what you are typing. -_-

There can be plenty of things done. Because, that is what balance is. Taking in consideration the power levels of the players and bosses, and balance them in a way that things can be enjoyable. As was pointed out, the bosses are more or less made around healing. While healing should be important, it isn't the only aspect of the game. I for one, while can agree that the "Trinity", as some players call it (tank, dps, support), has a place in games, and helps to make teams, for a game like this one, the lines should be blurred more due to the free form aspect. But, that alone would require major changes to jsut about all aspects of the game. Just as with any form of balancing, you need to change things, sometimes, drastically. But, in no shape or form do we need to remove forms, slotted passives, or anything really. They just need to be retooled, along with the bosses. But, as I said, that will most likely never happen. The cost alone would be more than I think PWE (or even the Cryptic higher ups) would be willing to spend. Plus, they would have to research and brainstorm all the balances. Just look at how long it takes for one power set to get a revamp.

But, you really need to stop looking at extremes.

You...really just see nothing but extremes do you? Can't see what can be done, just the extremes from what I can tell by reading what you are typing.

The reality is, a healer can get anyone to full health in about 2s. Thus, anything that takes longer than that to kill, unless there's a secondary effect that prevents healers from acting or it affects too many targets to heal, might as well not exist. If you want bosses doing less damage, you have to cut healing dramatically.

Taking in consideration the power levels of the players and bosses, and balance them in a way that things can be enjoyable.

There's too much variance in what people consider enjoyable. Plenty of people have no issues with the current power level of bosses.
    In the source material (i.e. comics) the likes of Superman, Hulk and Thor can and have been one-shoted. I've no problem with that as a game mechanic. I just respawn and continue the fight with one less star. Definitely annoying when there is also a lock out and no rezzer, but that's not that frequent in my expereince. Only truly annoying mechanic for me is chain knocks by mobs, since that is not something one finds in the source material.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    I would rather see a high damaging attack that doesn't one-shot most toons. It still stresses the players without crapping on people for making a mistake or having lag. And it actually gives healers something to do because they can actually heal people instead of being a res bot. Which can be done by an off-tank or beefy dps anyway.

Considering CO is supposed to be an action mmo and being dead is the opposite of action, having one-shot mechanics seems like a bad idea. It would at least be more interesting to stress the player instead of just booting them out of the fight temporarily.

Claiming all forms would need to be deleted to counter act boss damage and then simply saying it would only really need to be compassion seems to show a plan that wasn't thought out very well.​​
    There's too much variance in what people consider enjoyable. Plenty of people have no issues with the current power level of bosses.

Gosh, that demanding public. :) There are loads of things which can be done to make a Boss challenging without insta-wiping players in the normal course of play. Insta-wiping people who aren't paying attention to the mechanics of the alert.... fine. We already have two well-balanced Rampage bosses who do just that, some more would be nice.

• nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    I'll sell you a merc set for 500 :D
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
    edited March 2018

There are loads of things which can be done to make a Boss challenging without insta-wiping players in the normal course of play.

There are no bosses that insta-wipe players in the normal course of play. Wipes occur when people screw up.
    edited March 2018

You...really just see nothing but extremes do you? Can't see what can be done, just the extremes from what I can tell by reading what you are typing.

The reality is, a healer can get anyone to full health in about 2s. Thus, anything that takes longer than that to kill, unless there's a secondary effect that prevents healers from acting or it affects too many targets to heal, might as well not exist. If you want bosses doing less damage, you have to cut healing dramatically.

Taking in consideration the power levels of the players and bosses, and balance them in a way that things can be enjoyable.

And that is called "balance". Grats, you figured a portion of it out it means to balance things. Vast majority of mmos that have healing, do not have healing such as this game, were a healer can just heal a person in such a short amount of time. I personally find it absurd that it is even possible. Even wow nerfed healing for the current expansion. But, again, tackling this issue would at the same time requires a huge effort on tackling the entire system. And as I explained, that just won't happen.
    Post edited by soulforger on
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    I mean, if you want them to viably be able to stop using such high damage attacks in encounters, just start a petition to remove the Block mechanic. That is after all the main mechanic that allows people to survive those attacks.
  • diggotdiggot Posts: 309 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    /Back on Topic.

Excusing a steep curve of attaining gear due to lack of content progress isn't valid.

Removing the Cosmics AND their loot, then re-releasing them years later
    with no loot.. There needs to be an increasing difficulty in attaining gear for
    each level of item you're trying to get. Merc > Heroic > Justice > Legion.. etc etc.

But with Hotspots nerfed a few years ago, it stopped players from reliably being
    able to even get Merc gear fast for their alts.
    spinnytop said:

I mean, if you want them to viably be able to stop using such high damage attacks in encounters, just start a petition to remove the Block mechanic. That is after all the main mechanic that allows people to survive those attacks.

True, that is also part of the problem.
    That is after all the main mechanic that allows people to survive those attacks.

That would be silly. Silly arguments of the kind that people always make whenever this subject comes up, as if it really wouldn't be possible to make some content for a mid-difficulty endgame without player nerfs or trinity roles. It's doubly silly because very few people play the endgame content for the difficulty challenge - most do it because they want something and the game is trying hard not to give it to them.

it stopped players from reliably being able to even get Merc gear fast for their alts

I normally level my characters up with a fair amount of story content as this increases the amount of resources I have available when I hit 40. Normally I have over 150g and that's enough for a set of blue gear (assuming I need it, as the late levelling content often has better stuff). But it would be nice to be able to have some better content from 35+ to test out end gamebuilds, provide G for gear and retconning / re-working, all the stuff you usually need to do by 40...
    The nice thing about merc gear is that a set costs only 105000 Q, and since Q is transferable between characters, it doesn't take long to farm that amount. Certainly much less time than it takes to get a complete set of OV secondaries. By the time I finish leveling a character I usually have at least that amount.
    JwLmWoa.png

That would be silly. Silly arguments of the kind that people always make whenever this subject comes up, as if it really wouldn't be possible to make some content for a mid-difficulty endgame without player nerfs or trinity roles.

Mid-difficulty endgame is things like NemCon and Andrith. Fundamentally, endgame is about increasing tiers of difficulty, and the final tier is necessarily hard.