test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

FC.31.20180108.3 - Lots of Odds and Ends

kaiserin#0958 kaiserin Posts: 3,089 Cryptic Developer
edited January 2018 in PTS - The Archive
Nightmare Event
  • Added Creepy Mask, Creepy Horns and Layered Hair costumes to the store.
  • Added Greenray vehicle to the store.
  • Added Maniacal Laughter and Dark Illusion Rank 3 mods to the store.

Lockbox
  • Added Booster Mod Box to the Debugger store.
  • The Booster Mod Box contains one of the following mods: Respite 3, Energetic 3, Regeneration 3, Vitality 3, Hardy 3, Tireless 3.
  • Added Backflip emote to the Debugger store.

Modifications
  • Fixed a bug where the Regeneration mod was not stacking mods of the same rank properly. If you have multiples equipped, this mod now adds those together and heals in one chunk.

Left Eye of the Ruby Dragon
  • The current Left Eye of the Ruby Dragon mod has been retired and will no longer drop from the Hipan alert.
  • The quality of Left Eye of the Ruby Dragon has been changed to white (to make the cost to unslot trivial).
  • No longer provides any effects.
  • Players can take this item to Fixer in the Recognition area to trade it in for a Rank 9 version of one of the new Martial Arts damage mods.
  • The tooltip on this item has also been updated to direct players with this mod to Fixer.
  • This item can no longer be discarded as we don't want players accidentally discarding it before exchanging the item.
  • This change is being made as we want the powerset specific damage mods to only benefit one powerset instead of an entire category.

New Modifications:
  • Nighthawk's Talons: Utility slot. Provides a damage bonus to Martial Arts Claws abilities. This will be available during the Nighthawk event.
  • Left Eye of the Ruby Dragon: Utility slot. Provides a damage bonus to Martial Arts Unarmed abilities. This will be available from the Red Snake Green Dragon alert.
  • Jack Fool's Blade: Utility slot. Provides a damage bonus to Martial Arts Single Blade abilities. This will be available directly from Jack Fool in his alert and Adventure Pack.
  • Dragon's Fangs: Utility slot. Provides a damage bonus to Martial Arts Dual Blade abilities. This will be available as a global drop from Red Banner enemies.
  • Vitality: Defense slot. Gives you energy over time when struck by an attack.
  • Hardy: Utility slot. Restores health when you defeat a foe (same as Respite).
  • Tireless: Utility slot. Restores energy when you defeat a foe (same as Energetic).
  • Maniacal Laughter: Offense slot. Increases the threat you generate when using Dimensional typed attacks.
  • Dark Illusion: Offense slot. Reduces the threat you generate when using Dimensional typed attacks.

Misc
  • Added Ripper action figure as a rare drop from Ripper in alerts.
  • Made the feather portion of the Feather Mask an attachment to the costume.
  • Jack Fool's Neck costume can now drop from him in the Demonflame Adventure Pack in addition to his alerts.
  • Adjusted Jack Fool's power hue to red.
  • Gave Jack Fool a more fitting blade.
  • Jack Fool's Chained Kunai power will now remove travel powers on players to prevent them from flying out of range from him/indefinitely running out of his range, bypassing his abilities. He will only use this power if you are outside of his melee range.
  • Updated the tooltips on the Irradiates costumes to state that they only unlock costumes on male characters.

Powers
  • Fixed a bug where Ego Blade Annihilation didn't always consume Ego Leech stacks when fully charged.
  • Fixed a bug where Radiance was not properly tagged as an energy builder.
  • Updated the tooltip on Ninja Vanish travel power.

Cosmic
  • Reduced the number of boosts Kigatilik's hounds grant.
  • Kigatilik's Hounds will now be a lot more manueverable in combat. We are seeing how this works out and this may not go live, so please give it a try.

Inventory
We are testing out some inventory changes! These may or may not go live, but we would like it if players could try out these changes!
  • Updated the personal bank slot store to the current store look.
  • Slots you cannot buy or have already purchased are now hidden from view.
  • Increased the cap of personal bank slots to 320 (from 160).
  • After you have purchased the first 160, single bank slots are available for purchase for 10g + 2,500 quesitonite.
​​
Post edited by kaiserin#0958 on

Comments

• aiqaaiqa Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    Bug:
    Mods are missing from the fixer
    Tireless mod is a defense mod
    Backflip is missing from the debugger
  • draogndraogn Posts: 1,269 Arc User
    Any chance this might be a step towards fixing whatever is preventing right clicking from our banks into our inventory when the main bag is full?

Also 10g and 2500Q is overpriced for a single bank slot.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    kaizerin wrote: »
    Reduced the number of boosts Kigatilik's hounds grant.

HALLELUJAH! no more vanishing doges!
    After you have purchased the first 160, single bank slots are available for purchase for 10g + 2,500 quesitonite.

um...i hope this is a typo and you meant ROWS of slots, not literally ONE slot - there is no way in HELL i am spending 1600 globals and 400,000 questionite for 160 extra slots​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
  • lezard21lezard21 Posts: 1,510 Arc User
    =^._.^= In support of the Nightmare Kitty AF =^._.^=

Suggestion:

Electric Energy Aura could have it's animation cycle sped up a bit. Currently it looks a bit choppy, like a Plasma globe (unless that's the intention).

Powerful Energy Aura is currently too 2D. Could use a bit more layers.
  • chaosdrgnz43chaosdrgnz43 Posts: 1,674 Arc User
    Hah, they actually went through with exchanging Left Eye idea. I can already feel the bitterness some players will have.
    kaizerin said:

Added Ripper action figure as a rare drop from Ripper in alerts.

I wonder if this is Creepy-related...
    mfZ37eB.png
    Feel free to visit my websites!^^:
    DeviantART|FurAffinity|
    Twitter
  • a lot more players would've been even MORE bitter if the old ruby dragons had just been directly converted into the new version and people not using unarmed suddenly got stuck with a useless mod...at least this way you can exchange it for the MA powerset you ARE using - though, anyone who was using a mix of MA powersets in their builds are still frakked​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
  • qawsadaqawsada Posts: 739 Arc User

Okay, now with that out of the way, we tested Kiga's dog in the PTS. I would assume that the pathing of the dog was smoother/not stuck as this update was intended? Also

Bug: Fixer does not have mods to exchange the Left Eye

• bringmeaslabbringmeaslab Posts: 187 Arc User
    The total number of new purchasable bank slots appears to be 140 atm, instead of 160.
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    kaizerin said:

After you have purchased the first 160, single bank slots are available for purchase for 10g + 2,500 quesitonite.

​​
    Can you also add an entry for 40 slots for 400g and 100,000Q?
  • stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    "This change is being made as we want the powerset specific damage mods to only benefit one powerset instead of an entire category."

Why? CO has always been about customization and this seems like a step back to push for pigeonholing people into specific sets. Also getting sick of the over specialization of mods and the over abundance of mods. 50 different mods that are all basic damage boosts does not make them interesting. The only result ends up being people needing to sacrifice theme for power. I don't see the point in any of this.​​
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • blockwaveblockwave Posts: 329 Arc User
    I wish the revamp of MA was done before changing the Left Eye, Unarmed, Double Sword, Single Sword and Claws need a good revamp like TK melee, make it something interesting, please.

• did it occur to you that maybe the reason they're making the ruby dragon changes is precisely BECAUSE an MA revamp is coming soon?​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
  • aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    though, anyone who was using a mix of MA powersets in their builds are still frakked
    Exactly why this ongoing drift toward single-set specialization (on multiple fronts) is lame.

I don't have the left eye so this doesn't affect me, but breaking it up into 4 new, more specialized versions seems like it just adds unnecessary bloat. I mean, with the inevitable MA revamp, I feel pretty safe in saying that each framework will be tailored in a way that will "encourage" players to stick to a primary framework as it is. The extra mod bloat to further shove players in this direction seems silly.

- - -

Speaking of mod bloat, in general, what's with the strange slot designations given to these various mods, as well as the similar "newer" mods that have been rolling out lately? Energy regain mods in defensive slots? Damage bonuses in utility slots? Threat increase/decrease in offensive slots? It seems like these slot names are losing their meaning.

Now on a more positive note, I do like that hair.​​
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • johnystelar1johnystelar1 Posts: 67 Arc User
    aesica said:

Speaking of mod bloat, in general, what's with the strange slot designations given to these various mods, as well as the similar "newer" mods that have been rolling out lately? Energy regain mods in defensive slots? Damage bonuses in utility slots? Threat increase/decrease in offensive slots? It seems like these slot names are losing their meaning.

I'm guessing it's so you can equip damage cores and also use a gambler for crit chance, or an impact prism for offense, I like it.
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    Added Creepy Mask, Creepy Horns and Layered Hair costumes to the store.
    This is like what? the 4th-5th variation of the same puffy long hair? :/
    Hard to be excited for the same hairstyle over and over again
    Left Eye of the Ruby Dragon
    • The current Left Eye of the Ruby Dragon mod has been retired and will no longer drop from the Hipan alert.
    • The quality of Left Eye of the Ruby Dragon has been changed to white (to make the cost to unslot trivial).
    • No longer provides any effects.
    • Players can take this item to Fixer in the Recognition area to trade it in for a Rank 9 version of one of the new Martial Arts damage mods.
    • The tooltip on this item has also been updated to direct players with this mod to Fixer.
    • This item can no longer be discarded as we don't want players accidentally discarding it before exchanging the item.
    • This change is being made as we want the powerset specific damage mods to only benefit one powerset instead of an entire category.
    This is a dissapointing change, but I cannot say that I wasn't expecting it

Left Eye of the Ruby Dragon was unique and gave perfect synergy to all MA powerframes
    Players can take this item to Fixer in the Recognition area to trade it in for a Rank 9 version of one of the new Martial Arts damage mods.
    at least you gave us some mercy, gonna grab the Single Blade and Dual Blade mods​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,431 Arc User
    Mod bloat is to drive the sale of bank slots and safe guard catalysts. What I'd like to be able to buy is more Super Group slots/pages.

I wonder if we will see an overhaul of the nigh-useless defense mods that were the first ones introduced. I.e. Flame Retardant, Electricity Deflection, Cold Tolerance, etc. Maybe they could give those some general boost to all defenses, their special defenses and some extra HP?
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
    It's kind of shame the CO is sort of losing it's "Be the hero you want to be" with these powerset specific mods. True, you can still create what you want, but it's not gonna be that efficient.
    mfZ37eB.png
    DeviantART|FurAffinity|
    Twitter
  • nique554nique554 Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    So, if I'm understanding this right(correct me if I'm not), instead of 1 mod to boost the damage for all MA sets, there's a new mod for each individual set? o.O
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    WOnder when mods like DUC will be removed
  • jonesing4jonesing4 Posts: 800 Arc User
    sterga said:

"This change is being made as we want the powerset specific damage mods to only benefit one powerset instead of an entire category."

Why? CO has always been about customization and this seems like a step back to push for pigeonholing people into specific sets. Also getting sick of the over specialization of mods and the over abundance of mods. 50 different mods that are all basic damage boosts does not make them interesting. The only result ends up being people needing to sacrifice theme for power. I don't see the point in any of this.​​

Hard not to agree.
  • pwestolemynamepwestolemyname Posts: 978 Arc User
    kaizerin said:

Nightmare Event

Maniacal Laughter: Offense slot. Increases the threat you generate when using Dimensional typed attacks.
    Dark Illusion: Offense slot. Reduces the threat you generate when using Dimensional typed attacks.
    ​​
    So, considering that Ice (the previous set to get threat mods) and Dimensional are probably the LEAST used sets for Tanking, would it be possible for the next set-specific threat mod to come out be something people actually use? Just offhand, Might might be good.
    - - - - -
    SIGNATURE:
    Used to be coach on the forums. Still @coach in game.
  • bringmeaslabbringmeaslab Posts: 187 Arc User

I wonder if we will see an overhaul of the nigh-useless defense mods that were the first ones introduced. I.e. Flame Retardant, Electricity Deflection, Cold Tolerance, etc. Maybe they could give those some general boost to all defenses, their special defenses and some extra HP?

Some tanks use these to make alternate def gear for different bosses.
    But, for most people, who don't have various alternate set ups for a single character, they are pretty pointless.

Some tanks use these to make alternate def gear for different bosses.
    Does the threat from Maniacal Laughter exceed what Confront mods provide?
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited January 2018

It's kind of shame the CO is sort of losing it's "Be the hero you want to be" with these powerset specific mods. True, you can still create what you want, but it's not gonna be that efficient.

It's not losing it at all. A slight drop in damage on some of your powers doesn't mean you're not playing the hero you want to be. Some people are being really melodramatic about nothing on this issue. Not you, I mean others. It's not like having a damage mod means you have to pick all your powers from that framework, and it will never mean that - anybody being influenced in that way is doing it to themselves.
  • andondarkmoreandondarkmore Posts: 671 Arc User
    For those with powers in multiple Power Sets (or sub-power sets) Instead of the Mod boosting all your powers have the MOD boost your Alpha strike and-or Heavy hitter/finisher. Some powers my loose DPS but but you can still have theme to your builds.

With these sub-set specific break downs with MA can we get those Elemental/MA unlocks (Fire Single blades or Poison Claws) costume unlocks?
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    Kinda miffed about the Mod change to the Left Eye, however, I assume that each set will soon contain a suitable heavy hitter and some more unique powers to be a little more self sufficient within each set, to make this change easier to swallow.

Also, I have to say, I am very much liking the additions of different hairstyles in CO of late! :+1:
  • shadowolf505shadowolf505 Posts: 697 Arc User
    As I said once, you would just take the mod that works with your MAIN ATTACK, to give it the most damage. The other attacks would either just debuff for the main attack to do more or just for theme reasons.
    || Main Tank || DPSer || Healer || CCer || Altoholic || @shadowolf505 in game ||
    > @spinnytop said:
    >
    > It's not losing it at all. A slight drop in damage on some of your powers doesn't mean you're not playing the hero you want to be. Some people are being really melodramatic about nothing on this issue. Not you, I mean others. It's not like having a damage mod means you have to pick all your powers from that framework, and it will never mean that - anybody being influenced in that way is doing it to themselves.

But what are the benefits? Honest question (and open to anyone). From a player’s perspective, what is the positive side of this recent trend?
    jonesing4 wrote: »
    But what are the benefits? Honest question (and open to anyone). From a player’s perspective, what is the positive side of this recent trend?
    There isn't one. Not unless the following count as positive:
    • Extra inventory bloat (assuming you don't just set most of these mods on fire like I do)
    • Extra respec costs to unsocket the mod if changing framework/damagetype/whatever the mod is linked to
    • "Gee, I'm a single blade user, look at all the choices I have for damage mods--dual blade mod, single blade mod, unarmed mod, or claws mod! Which ever one shall I choose?" - this known as a Hobson's choice, which effectively is the choice between something (a damage bonus you can use) or nothing at all (choosing any of the others which results in no bonus)
    ​​
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
    Suggestion for nightmare invasion: we don't have a bone club heavy weapon. That's a natural drop for a nightmare colossus (using its leg as a club).

Suggestion for nightmare invasion: we don't have a bone club heavy weapon. That's a natural drop for a nightmare colossus (using its leg as a club).

Why stop at the leg? Include Bone Limbs HW unlocks. Let's hit stuff with severed/dislocated limbs!
    mfZ37eB.png
    DeviantART|FurAffinity|
    Twitter
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    Bone gun
    edited January 2018
    jonesing4 said:

More stuff to play around with when customizing our characters. More stuff to get from running content. That first one goes for the power changes too. These changes give very tangible benefits that play to the game's strengths of character customization, and also solve the problem of "there's nothing to do because there's nothing to get".

Specifically on why the martial arts mod had to be split, it's to keep it in line with other damage mods. Damage mods are intended to buff one framework, that's the utility they provide. The game already has plenty of mods that increase all of your damage so wouldn't it have been boring for them to just make another one? Considering the sheer amount of damage bonus you get from the rest of your mods, it's amazing that anyone would be so influenced by the bit this one gives.
  • theultimaxtheultimax Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited January 2018

Could we please get the effect from Coruscating Might as an aura? It's so freaking cool.
  • theultimaxtheultimax Posts: 57 Arc User
    Could we please get the visual effect for Coruscating Might as an aura? It looks and sounds so freaking cool.
    spinnytop wrote: »
    More stuff to play around with when customizing our characters.
    Not really. Whether you have one snowflake damage mod for every framework or one [Generic Damage Bonus Mod] to rule them all, the choice is still the same: Do I want utility in this slot or do I want "muh minmax?" If your main source of damage is single blade and you want to squeeze as much derps as possible out of your character, of course you're going to choose the single blade mod. None of the others are even a realistic option. The whole notion of "many framework bonuses to choose from!" is essentially a Hobson's choice. "Do I want a damage bonus" vs "do I want no damage bonus?"
    More stuff to get from running content.
    With the pricing of everything in the GCR shop, the constant events with new item additions each time, and the existence of alts, I feel pretty safe in saying that there's plenty of stuff to get. Worst of all, not all of these "content grinds" are being created equal. What if your chosen framework is dual blades? Does "grinding random red banner enemies ad nauseum" really count as running content?
    Specifically on why the martial arts mod had to be split, it's to keep it in line with other damage mods. Damage mods are intended to buff one framework, that's the utility they provide.
    Except that's not utility. That's damage, and it would've made more sense as an offensive mod slot option. Utility is things like cooldown reduction, cost reduction, random energy recovery, even that silly minimap bonus, and things like that.

Rather than splitting the MA mod, why not go the other way and make an energy projector mod, a technology mod, etc? Or base them on damage type groups, with a physical mod, a paranormal mod, an elemental mod, etc? Those are so much more flexible and would do a better job at playing toward this game's supposed strength in customization. All the highly specialized mods do is further pigeonhole players into essentially playing freeform ATs.
    The game already has plenty of mods that increase all of your damage so wouldn't it have been boring for them to just make another one?
    Not really, since "socketing your gear" is probably the least exciting thing in this, or really any game which has similar systems.
    Considering the sheer amount of damage bonus you get from the rest of your mods, it's amazing that anyone would be so influenced by the bit this one gives.
    If by influenced, you mean concerned, then why is it "amazing" to you?​​
  • aiqaaiqa Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    There are lots of ways MA mods and +damage mods in general could have been handled. Imo, nerfing established gear should only ever be done if that gear is severely detrimental to the game. People have farmed countless hours for these mods, or payed thousands of globals, that is not something that should be taken away (in a sense) so casually.

And the whole of MA is has a single look and feel, far more than any other set since sorcery was merged. So it could have easily been considered as one set for damage mod purposes.
    aesica said:

Not really.

Considering it increases the number of choices involved in the process I feel comfortable in responding with "yes really".
    aesica said:

Does "grinding random red banner enemies ad nauseum" really count as running content?

It explicitly does.
    aesica said:

Except that's not utility. That's damage, and it would've made more sense as an offensive mod slot option. Utility is things like cooldown reduction, cost reduction, random energy recovery, even that silly minimap bonus, and things like that.

We already have a +offense damage layer mod for our offense slots, so if that's what you wanted to ahead and use that. Considering that making the +damage mod an offense slot mod would constitute a nerf to players I don't think you've thought this through all the way. Yes, here we are... you promoting a nerf and me saying we shouldn't nerf ( primarily because I like the specificity of the damage bonus involved, I believe it balances it quite well ).

As for why we have a mod that gives damage in our utility slots I think the simple explanation is that there aren't very many good options for those slots and they wanted to give us another good option.
    aesica said:

The whole notion of "many framework bonuses to choose from!" is essentially a Hobson's choice. "Do I want a damage bonus" vs "do I want no damage bonus?"

Are you saying it would be a more meaningful choice if they gave you a "Increase All Damage" mod? How does that make it a more meaningful choice? Sounds about as meaningful as the choice to slot a DUC or not. At least with framework specific mods you might decide to slot multiple of them.
    aesica said:

Not really, since "socketing your gear" is probably the least exciting thing in this, or really any game which has similar systems.

Sure, the physical act of clicking and dragging an image onto another image isn't exciting, but some of us enjoy figuring out exactly how we're going to mod our gear to get the effect we want and having more choices makes that more enjoyable. Maybe you don't, but different people like different things and the fact I regularly see people merging thousands of mods means there's a clear interest in this system.
    aesica said:

If by influenced, you mean concerned, then why is it "amazing" to you?​​

I don't mean concerned at all. I mean influenced, and that's why I typed that word instead of another one.
  • andondarkmoreandondarkmore Posts: 671 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    Cannot find Back flip Emote.
    Do not see Dragon eye with Fixer.
    Mysterious Trinket will not open or list what Might be in it.
    Creepy mask needs a back piece like a helmet -- Opinion - Many hair styles and Helms look a bit off to me (hovering mask)

Post edited by andondarkmore on
    Considering it increases the number of choices involved in the process I feel comfortable in responding with "yes really".
    Except it doesn't increase the number of choices. "I want extra damage in this slot instead of utility" is a choice. Once that choice is made, "my main attack uses single blades so I need to use the single blade mod" is an execution of that choice, nothing more. There is no "should I choose the single blade mod or the dual blade mod" decision-making going on since only one of the many framework-specific mods is going to actually benefit you character.
    Does "grinding random red banner enemies ad nauseum" really count as running content?

It explicitly does.
    You don't set the bar very high then, do you?
    Considering that making the +damage mod an offense slot mod would constitute a nerf to players I don't think you've thought this through all the way.
    Cheapening the value of utility slots by crowding in "moar derps per second" could also be seen as a nerf to utility and it only serves to widen the rift between roles even more. If the devs want to change them into alternate damage slots, that's fine, but they should really stop calling them utility slots if we're supposed to be using them for damage instead of utility.
    As for why we have a mod that gives damage in our utility slots I think the simple explanation is that there aren't very many good options for those slots and they wanted to give us another good option.
    Wouldn't it make more sense to improve those underperforming options, as well as add new options that are actually utility-based? +Energy effects, threat reduction, and threat generation would make a lot of sense in these slots, but that stuff is going into...offense and defense slots instead? What?
    Are you saying it would be a more meaningful choice if they gave you a "Increase All Damage" mod? How does that make it a more meaningful choice? Sounds about as meaningful as the choice to slot a DUC or not. At least with framework specific mods you might decide to slot multiple of them.
    Not more meaningful, but rather, equally meaningful but with less mod bloat, less respec toxicity, and no extra punishment inflicted upon cross-framework builds for not staying "pure."
    I don't mean concerned at all. I mean influenced, and that's why I typed that word instead of another one.
    Well concern is the primary motivator behind my posts in this thread. Sorry if you're misunderstanding things.​​
  • monaahirumonaahiru Posts: 3,073 Arc User
    I don't care Left Eye of the Ruby Dragon changes but can we get respec token for the huge change?
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    aesica said:

Speaking of mod bloat, in general, what's with the strange slot designations given to these various mods, as well as the similar "newer" mods that have been rolling out lately? Energy regain mods in defensive slots? Damage bonuses in utility slots? Threat increase/decrease in offensive slots? It seems like these slot names are losing their meaning.​​

Umm... are you talking about ancient relics from before On-Alert? Because some of those really ARE that old.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    monaahiru said:

I don't care Left Eye of the Ruby Dragon changes but can we get respec token for the huge change?

Probably, when MA revamp comes. They always do it when they revamp a powerset.
    mfZ37eB.png
    DeviantART|FurAffinity|
    Twitter
    So last night, I was doing hi pan to get my weeklies done and finally got a left eye. Wondering if I should enjoy it while it lasts or just bank it and forget about it.
    monaahiru wrote: »
    It's my understanding that they'll make the mod ultra-cheap to unsocket, so you should be able to easily remove it and either trade it in for one of the 4 cracker jack versions or slot something else entirely.​​
    aesica said:

So last night, I was doing hi pan to get my weeklies done and finally got a left eye. Wondering if I should enjoy it while it lasts or just bank it and forget about it.

It's not like a rank 9 version of the new mods is bad. It's just not as good as the current thing.
    aesica said:

You should give it to me ;)
    JwLmWoa.png
    spinnytop said:

More stuff to play around with when customizing our characters. More stuff to get from running content. That first one goes for the power changes too. These changes give very tangible benefits that play to the game's strengths of character customization, and also solve the problem of "there's nothing to do because there's nothing to get".

I guess we're looking at it from different sides, re: customization. Given the choice between having a specific mod to slot into my gear, or not being punished (however mildly) for mixing powersets, I want option B every time. It seems like a lot of recent changes are pushing people into only one 'choice' for their builds--these powers to activate this mechanic, this power to capitalize in that mechanic, and these stats to not make energy management a tedious chore to work around. Do not mix powersets, do not use different superstat set-ups, do not use more than one mechanic. It feels like optimization at the cost of customization.

(Yes, I know, this game is easy enough that you could take one attack power from every set, a passive for every role, and whatever SS's you want and you'd still be golden. That's a comfort of sorts, but it is nice to be able to build odd characters who are still powerful.)

As far as having more stuff to get from running content, I have never had that issue. Lots of stuff to grind at, with dozens of different currency types. My bank slots on my mod mule are already clogged enough, and I'm not really keen to re-gear all of my 100+ alts with optimized mods. I guess it's nice that there's an option, but I can't see many people rejoicing over the fact that they can now chase a new type of mod that does the same thing as the old mod (actually about 1/4 of the same thing as the old mod).
    spinnytop said:

Specifically on why the martial arts mod had to be split, it's to keep it in line with other damage mods. Damage mods are intended to buff one framework, that's the utility they provide. The game already has plenty of mods that increase all of your damage so wouldn't it have been boring for them to just make another one? Considering the sheer amount of damage bonus you get from the rest of your mods, it's amazing that anyone would be so influenced by the bit this one gives.

You're right on both major points here: MA mod was an outlier, and the damage boost to any of these is borderline negligible. That's why it's ultimately not that big of a deal to me. I just keep coming back to the 'why' question. Why are other damage mods split? Why did MA need to be brought 'in line' with other sets, when MA powers have more innate synergy than other frameworks (as aiqa, I think, notes above)? etc.

Oh well, nothing is going to change at this point. Sounds like this is the first step in an eventual MA revamp? So hopefully they won't screw over all of us who have mixed those powers together in builds.
    spinnytop said:

I guess we're looking at it from different sides, re: customization. Given the choice between having a specific mod to slot into my gear, or not being punished (however mildly) for mixing powersets, I want option B every time. It seems like a lot of recent changes are pushing people into only one 'choice' for their builds--these powers to activate this mechanic, this power to capitalize in that mechanic, and these stats to not make energy management a tedious chore to work around. Do not mix powersets, do not use different superstat set-ups, do not use more than one mechanic. It feels like optimization at the cost of customization.

(Yes, I know, this game is easy enough that you could take one attack power from every set, a passive for every role, and whatever SS's you want and you'd still be golden. That's a comfort of sorts, but it is nice to be able to build odd characters who are still powerful.)

As far as having more stuff to get from running content, I have never had that issue. Lots of stuff to grind at, with dozens of different currency types. My bank slots on my mod mule are already clogged enough, and I'm not really keen to re-gear all of my 100+ alts with optimized mods. I guess it's nice that there's an option, but I can't see many people rejoicing over the fact that they can now chase a new type of mod that does the same thing as the old mod (actually about 1/4 of the same thing as the old mod).
    spinnytop said:

You're right on both major points here: MA mod was an outlier, and the damage boost to any of these is borderline negligible. That's why it's ultimately not that big of a deal to me. I just keep coming back to the 'why' question. Why are other damage mods split? Why did MA need to be brought 'in line' with other sets, when MA powers have more innate synergy than other frameworks (as aiqa, I think, notes above)? etc.

Oh well, nothing is going to change at this point. Sounds like this is the first step in an eventual MA revamp? So hopefully that will be cool, and they won't screw over all of us who have mixed those powers together in builds.

This discussion has been closed.