test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Yakuza Themed Dex DPS Haymaker

Heya, Is it viable to make a Dex DPS whose primary attack is Haymaker? I'm also thinking of getting Burst Shot for a quick debuff and maybe Night Warrior for the Charge Speed buff.

Comments

• Options
    carrionbaggagecarrionbaggage Posts: 721 Community Moderator
    edited December 2017
    Here's one possible skeleton for a setup that uses Str primary for the spec tree, but stacks Dex with gear:

(Unnamed Build) - Freeform
    v2.3.2-27

Super Stats
    Level 6: Strength (Primary)
    Level 10: Dexterity (Secondary)
    Level 15: Recovery (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 1: The Penitent (Str: 10, Dex: 10, Rec: 8, End: 10)
    Level 6: Amazing Stamina (Rec: 5, End: 5)
    Level 9: Relentless (Str: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 12: Impresario (Dex: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 15: Bodybuilder (Str: 5, End: 5)
    Level 18: Martial Focus (Str: 5, Dex: 5)
    Level 21: Accurate (Dex: 5, End: 5)

Powers
    Level 1: Vicious Strikes
    Level 1: Night Warrior (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 6: Form of the Tiger
    Level 8: Retaliation (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Thermal Reverberation
    Level 14: Resurgence (Rank 2)
    Level 17: Incendiary Grenade (Chemical Burn, Scorched Ground)
    Level 20: Haymaker (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 23: Sword Cyclone (Rank 2, Butcher\'s Blades)
    Level 26: Lock N Load (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 29: Magician's Dust
    Level 32:
    Level 35:
    Level 38:
    Adv. Points: 26/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6: Athletics (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35:

Specializations
    Strength: Swole (2/3)
    Strength: Physical Peak (3/3)
    Strength: Brutality (2/2)
    Strength: Overpower (3/3)
    Warden: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Warden: Ruthless (2/2)
    Warden: Elusive (2/2)
    Warden: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: The Rush of Battle (2/3)
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3)
    Mastery: Strength Mastery (1/1)

Incendiary Grenade is intended to have the Scorched Ground advantage, though it's not selectable in the HeroCreator. Lock N Load and Magician's Dust can be replaced by a different active offense or threat wipe, or removed entirely if you prefer. With a Yakuza concept, I'm assuming that a grenade and some swords/clubs would still be within theme.

Attack rotation is pretty simple. Cycle the Incendiary Grenade to keep Thermal Reverberation rolling (and the crushing debuff for Haymaker). Haymaker for single-target, Sword Cyclone for AoE; charge both when possible, to keep triggering Form of the Tiger. Sword Cyclone makes a great charge attack for a DPS character, but can be replaced by another charged melee AoE if you dislike the weapons/look.

Last 3 powers could be whatever you want. You could add more self-healing, other crushing debuffs, an ultimate, thematic powers, etc. Could add your Burst Shot there, if you like.

If you're using Justice Gear, you could consider swapping Swole for Aggression and The Rush of Battle for Modified Gear.
  • Options
    flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    Yea, I may go for Scything Blade for the AoE, mostly cause Butcher's Blades is very expensive to use heavily (unless maybe also using a Rush-granting move). I also would prob get End if using TReverb. Otherwise, the build template looks pretty good.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • Options
    carrionbaggagecarrionbaggage Posts: 721 Community Moderator
    edited December 2017
    Scything Blade is a nice alternative, for sure. Butcher's Blades offers the highest-damage alpha strike, but Scything Blade is more sustainable for spamming. If the concept incorporates some stylish martial arts, Dragon Kick can also be an interesting utility choice (limited cone angle, but offers a stun and the Rush buff).

Running the build a bit on the Test Server, both Rec and End sufficed as the third superstat, provided Dexterity was stacked high. End provides a slightly larger return from Thermal Reverb (moreso if you're actually gearing it), while the higher equilibrium from Rec offered some passive energy generation. I opted for Rec in the sample build because of the energy cost of Butcher's Blades. With a high equilbrium, you can walk into a fight with a full-charge Butcher's Blades. The energy return from Form of the Tiger (with high Dex) gives enough for a second full-charge. If Butcher's Blades isn't your preference, I'd probably recommend End as well.

QUICK EDIT: Were you looking for a leveling build? The above template is designed as a late-level retcon setup.
  • Options
    avalon#6604 avalon Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    Sorry for the late reply! ><

And thanks for the template!

I've edited it with the suggestions and added some thematic powers. I went with Scything Blades for a more thug-like approach.

Yakuza - Freeform
    v2.3.2-28

Super Stats
    Level 6: Strength (Primary)
    Level 10: Dexterity (Secondary)
    Level 15: Recovery (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 1: The Penitent (Str: 10, Dex: 10, Rec: 8, End: 10)
    Level 6: Amazing Stamina (Rec: 5, End: 5)
    Level 9: Relentless (Str: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 12: Impresario (Dex: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 15: Bodybuilder (Str: 5, End: 5)
    Level 18: Martial Focus (Str: 5, Dex: 5)
    Level 21: Accurate (Dex: 5, End: 5)

Powers
    Level 1: Steady Shot
    Level 1: Pistol Whip (They Never Go Easy)
    Level 6: Burst Shot
    Level 8: Night Warrior (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Form of the Tiger
    Level 14: Retaliation (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 17: Thermal Reverberation
    Level 20: Haymaker (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 23: Incendiary Grenade (Chemical Burn)
    Level 26: Scything Blade (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 29: Smoke Grenade (Escape Artist)
    Level 32: Lock N Load (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35: Resurgence (Rank 2, Evanescent Emergence)
    Level 38: Unleashed Rage (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Adv. Points: 36/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6: Athletics (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35:

Specializations
    Strength: Physical Peak (3/3)
    Strength: Aggression (2/2)
    Strength: Brutality (2/2)
    Strength: Overpower (3/3)
    Warden: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Warden: Ruthless (2/2)
    Warden: Elusive (2/2)
    Warden: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3)
    Vindicator: Modified Gear (2/2)
    Mastery: Strength Mastery (1/1)

Now my question is, which is better for Scything Blades? R3 or R2+Swallowtail Cut?

EDIT: Since I have leftover Advantage Points, I took Smoke Grenade instead of Magician's Dust.
  • Options
    flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    UR prob isn't a good ult here, since you're not using an Enrage form. I'd also prob switch Rec SS to End SS (but you can still talent/gear for a bit of Rec for better equilibrium).

Trash tends to die pretty quickly either way for Scything Blade's adv to matter that much, imo, while for bosses the special adv means you can quickly tap Scything for the first bleed stack after a doing a Rupture- though that doesn't really apply here anyways. Last I checked, FotS (and the Wild Thing EU) had issues procing w/ Scything Blade if bleed was already on the targets- which Swallowtail can fix. But you're using FotTiger here, so that also doesn't apply. I may take R2 + Heavy Blade in this case, actually- just for the extra CC on trash, and since its not really a bleed build anyways.

Also, don't forget that you can get Scorched Ground on the grenade.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!