test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Finally.

2»

Comments

• jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    spinnytop said:

You don't know a lot about weaboo culture.

I think that might be the nicest thing you've ever said to me.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    aesica said:

Why just one camera? Why not two for binocular, 3d vision? Why would a robot need a nose? Do you honestly think there's no advantages to being able to detect the current makeup of nearby air particles? Why would they need a mouth? How about as a place for the aforementioned speaker?

When you hook up your stereo system, do you create a big fleshy mouth sculpture to put the speakers into? o3o
    aesica said:

As for gender identity, the robots of today obviously don't. However, as AI gets closer and closer to rivaling our own, wouldn't an AI designed to be similar to human intelligence not be self aware? How do you know it wouldn't want to express itself somehow? When you think about it, humans are really just robots made out of meat instead of metal.

If I program it to express something then it will do that. I think I'll just program it to walk my dog and make cars personally since programming a robot to prattle on about its artificial feelings seems like a waste of electricity. Though I'm sure somebody will do that to create the illusion of a robot talking about its actual feelings. o3o
    aesica said:

The state has decided that you aren't acting the way you're supposed to, so it wants to perform alterations on your brain to make you behave more in line with expected guidelines. Do you let this happen because the state knows what's best for you?

No, because I am not a robot. Robots would be programmed to accept maintenance. When your PC has an error, do you not fix it out of respect for your PC's decision to forge its own path in this world?
    aesica said:

The closer we get to creating AI which rivals our own intelligence, the grayer the "turn it off and make changes" solution gets.​​

Only to people who don't know what they're looking at. That's why we shouldn't make robots look human, to avoid creating false feelings of sympathy for a toaster.

Yup. Pretty much.

Now the real question is, are those eyes artificial or not? Sure in the story I guess that's all still flesh and bone... but here in reality, they made that with CG.

Either way yeah I'd bang her.
  • aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    spinnytop wrote: »
    When you hook up your stereo system, do you create a big fleshy mouth sculpture to put the speakers into? o3o

If I program it to express something then it will do that. I think I'll just program it to walk my dog and make cars personally since programming a robot to prattle on about its artificial feelings seems like a waste of electricity. Though I'm sure somebody will do that to create the illusion of a robot talking about its actual feelings. o3o

No, because I am not a robot. Robots would be programmed to accept maintenance. When your PC has an error, do you not fix it out of respect for your PC's decision to forge its own path in this world?
    Oh, how little you seem to understand about this subject, so here's a quick primer. There's generally considered to be categories for AI: ANI (artificial narrow intelligence), AGI (artificial general intelligence) and ASI (artificial superintelligence). ANI is what we have all around us today--your stereo with the fleshy mouth of a headphone jack, your smartphone, amazon's annoying suggestions, the neural net that generated the face of my current avatar, etc. Programs designed to kick butt at a very narrow scope of things, but nothing else.

AGI is where we're trying to get to with artificial intelligence right now. It can be thought of as human-level intelligence--as such, that would include self-awareness, right? When this time comes, do you honestly think we won't have to tackle certain ethical questions about our new creations? Wouldn't they be worthy of certain rights?

Finally, there's ASI, which will either be our salvation or the great filter that expunges humanity forever. It's likely that ASI will grow out of AGI rather than being something we create, and as such, would have the capability for recursive self-improvement that would increase exponentially. You know how we're smarter than other apes, right? ASI has the potential to be much smarter than us by several magnitudes greater than the difference between us and our ape cousins.

Anyway, the type of AI you're thinking of, that you'd program to behave a certain way, is ANI, but that's not the only way to create an AI. If you haven't looked into neural networks, you should. It's interesting stuff, much more akin to how an infant's brain learns and develops than the "I program you to make toast, so make toast" approach you're thinking of. This will be how AGI is born when the time comes.​​
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
    Don't fall in love with that toaster too hard, that way it won't hurt as much when you learn that it doesn't love you back o3o
    spinnytop said:

Don't fall in love with that toaster too hard, that way it won't hurt as much when you learn that it doesn't love you back o3o

But it might hurt a lot more when that toaster falls in love with you - and then learns you think of it as a mere appliance.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

jonsills said:

But it might hurt a lot more when that toaster falls in love with you - and then learns you think of it as a mere appliance.

Yes. And then there will be some mild annoyance when it stops functioning suddenly and you're like "wtf is it broken?" and then you realize that it's just downloading the newest WindowsRobot update to get rid of that bug that makes it act like it's in love.
    You know, I realize that it's one of the big sci-fi nerd fantasies that a computer becomes sentient, identifies as the gender you happen to be romantically interested in, and then develops romantic feelings for you, the one human who has made a significant imprint upon their hard drive. However, the whole idea of a sentient computer bemoaning the fact that you didn't sculpt it some genitals so that it could pursue a romantic relationship with a member of another vastly inferior and more limited species seems a bit far fetched to me.

If we are going with this what-if scenario of sentient computers it seems to me that such a being having romantic feelings for a human would be similar to a human having romantic feelings for a slug. What would that sentient computer have in common with a human being? After all, romance generally springs up around commonalities and mutual understanding two things that would not exist between a sentient machine and a human being - and it's unlikely that the computer would fool itself into thinking it's in love in some hormonal fit of lust the way humans often do. It might understand us, but we wouldn't understand it at all - we'd be too busy thinking about things like "does it identify as a boy or a girl, which kind of body should we give it?" which would seem exceedingly silly to the machine since it doesn't think about bodies the way we do, and gender is a completely irrelevant concept to it.

If a sentient machine did want a body I imagine it would prefer to be allowed to design that body itself, and that that body would not even slightly resemble that of a human being - it would be far more functional and purpose built to the machine's needs... and tits aren't part of its needs. It also wouldn't be constrained to that body - it could assemble several bodies, and control them at its whim, and so it would never but the significance into any one body that we put into our own. The only reason I could see such a being assembling a body that looks human is to manipulate us into doing something that it either needs us to do, or that it has determined we should do - and for that purpose that body would be in no way identifiable as a robot and it would likely produce it in secret and pilot it without letting us know.

The fantasy of machine on human romance is about as ludicrous as a centuries old vampire falling in love with a high school girl.
  • beezeezebeezeeze Posts: 927 Arc User
    Did somebody say robosexual?

• themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    spinnytop said:

The fantasy of machine on human romance is about as ludicrous as a centuries old vampire falling in love with a high school girl.

Welcome to Fantasy/Sci-Fi in all it's forms.

Enjoy your stay.

zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods

Welcome to Fantasy/Sci-Fi in all it's forms.

Enjoy your stay.

I prefer giant cylindrical space ships filled with octopus and bird people. Wondering who will get that reference.
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    spinnytop said:

I prefer giant cylindrical space ships filled with octopus and bird people. Wondering who will get that reference.

All the pervs.

zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
    I didn't get it before but now I am going to assume it was indeed something pervy.

beezeeze said:

I didn't get it before but now I am going to assume it was indeed something pervy.

You should elaborate on that thought :'3
    spinnytop said:

beezeeze said:

You should elaborate on that thought :'3
    the truth is anything can come off as kinda pervy without context. Go ahead try it yourself.

• nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    None of these robots seem to have death rays. Waste of time.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
    edited December 2017
    beezeeze said:

the truth is anything can come off as kinda pervy without context. Go ahead try it yourself.

All books can be indecent books
    Though recent books are bolder,
    For filth (I'm glad to say)
    Is in the mind of the beholder -
    When correctly viewed,
    Everything is lewd!
    I could tell you things about Peter Pan
    Or the Wizard of Oz - there's a dirty old man!

- Tom Lehrer, "Smut"

edited December 2017
    beep boop
    Post edited by beezeeze on

• ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    This is going to bomb...I’m sorry.

At least in the states
    I'm sure it'll do at least as well as that Ghost in the Shell movie.
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    ^ yeah, I believe so.

The problem with the CGI is that it looks too much like the Final Fantasy style of animation or Gantz:O or Beowulf.

The humans look human but she doesn’t look like an actual object in that reality....looks fake.

I don’t know if it was the quality that I saw the trailer in but it just didn’t look like good CGI.