test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Let's talk politics.

Mayor Biselle has got to be just about the worst mayor ever. His city has criminals literally just standing around on the streets harassing people and being all ciminal and he hasn't ever increased the police presence to deal with them. Now sure I don't expect the police to deal with the likes of DEMON or the Gadroon, but when it comes to just plain ol' gangs in purple suits or biker gear or dressed as clowns a heightened police presence could deal with that. If need be he can work with Until in a joint operation to clean up our city streets rather than letting super powered beings deal with it for him. Sure that might make it really easy to balance the budget, but heroes could be doing more important things with their super powers than blasting some goon in a purple hat 3 city blocks just so they'll stop harassing restaurant owners.

In summary I believe that it is Mayor Biselle's fault that for years now we supers have had to repeatedly be sent over to West Side to clean up the mess he is unwilling to deal with! I am calling for action, and I call on all other heroes to join me in these demands! If our demands are not met, then maybe the next time Viper tries to assassinate Mr. Biselle, we won't come. Maybe the next time someone makes six clones of him, we'll "accidentally" rescue a clone instead of the real Biselle - that big muscular one looks like he'd be tough on crime instead of giving us excuses ( mainly because he can barely speak ). Oh what's that? An alert?? City hall! I'll stay home and read the newest issue of "Spectre Highschool" instead!

A concerned Super,
Kagami the Supermagicalfantastical Best Magical Girl

Comments

• have you SEEN just how many members of each gang are on the streets? there's literally hundreds of them, and most of the city's police force are busy trying to contain the prison breakouts or keep spontaneously-combusting citizens from burning down half the city​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
  • bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    Biselle claims to have the interests of the children of Millennium City in mind, but has he even looked at the situation? There's full-grown dancing gangsters attending their high-schools, and children aren't even allowed outside, not even when supervised! What is even happening to the youth of this city?
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

• jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    In defense of the police, have you seen the traffic situation in Millennium City? There's no way for police to provide a timely response to anywhere in the city, least of all Westside (which seems to have been almost deliberately severed from the rest of the city, as if we needed some sort of preserve to remember what Old Detroit used to be like). With antigravity technology being monopolized by supers, the regular police are stuck in traffic along with the very citizens they want to protect.

No, where I hold Biselle responsible is the horrific traffic! He and his administration can't even hire a competent traffic director, despite the fact that SOCRATES could probably handle the entire city with a single subroutine that wouldn't even factor into her other operations. And there's absolutely no planning for future growth for the city, save by building towers ever taller, until eventually even the flying heroes won't be able to save anyone on the upper floors!

And what in the name of sanity is that burning building in Westside made of? Why was anyone permitted to use construction materials capable of burning continuously for eight years?!? And why isn't the company that built it being held responsible, instead of tying up MCFD resources?
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    bluhman said:

Biselle claims to have the interests of the children of Millennium City in mind, but has he even looked at the situation? There's full-grown dancing gangsters attending their high-schools, and children aren't even allowed outside, not even when supervised! What is even happening to the youth of this city?

Have you ever seen any children in Millennium City? I've seen some teens over at the high school but no children. I find that very curious.
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    (I think the lack of children has to do with ESRB ratings)

Another thing about Biselle: are we sure he hasn't been replaced by an imposter? I mean, we have a citywide celebration of Foxbat...
  • it isn't THAT foxbat, though - it's the superhero one​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited November 2017

it isn't THAT foxbat, though - it's the superhero one​​

What does that mean??? D:
    spinnytop said:

it isn't THAT foxbat, though - it's the superhero one​​

What does that mean??? D:
    It means shadowfang240 is a foxbat sockpuppet. Or has been replaced by a foxbattlebot.
  • kjodellkjodell Posts: 83 Arc User
    As for the fire in westside I think it has been burning for longer than 8 years, I suspect it the very fire that gave Firefight his powers, which is why he haunts it every october. but what don't understand is why it haven't sealed it off like they would with a tire fire, if they did maybe then civilians would stop going into a burning building and getting trapped under chunks of concrete
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    One thing of concern is that BIselle is connected to PSI. His daughter is one of the most powerful agents that organization has ever seen, strong enough to challenge even Medusa and Psimon!
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    Who?

(I think the lack of children has to do with ESRB ratings)

Why would that affect things? You can't even target civilians. Are children somehow x rated?
    bulgarex said:

Why would that affect things? You can't even target civilians. Are children somehow x rated?

Apparently children in danger is an issue (this is hazy memories from about six years ago, though; it's something Tumerboy mentioned).
    edited November 2017

Apparently children in danger is an issue (this is hazy memories from about six years ago, though; it's something Tumerboy mentioned).

So something like a Harry Potter video game would have an adult rating because there are kids in danger all the time?

Edit: I'm not saying you're wrong BTW, just I don't understand the reasoning is all.
    Post edited by guyhumual on
  • eviltwintwoeviltwintwo Posts: 351 Arc User
    You'd think that after a prison break that has been going on for approaching a decade, a decent mayor would call in some outside help. What? The entire military can't be at the other prison in the desert, right? And would the military really air strike a prison to begin with? I think it might be an evil plan or something....
  • monaahirumonaahiru Posts: 3,073 Arc User
    So we are getting new mayor?

I'm afraid to say but if MC became so peaceful, Heroes will be out of work. o3o
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited November 2017
    He's a clone.

He's Foxbat in disguise.

Pie.

Cake.

All is lie.

Soylent Green is people!

Do we even care?
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited November 2017
    bulgarex said:

Who?

Answer:

((Mark is referring to Breanna Biselle, who in game is captured by Medusa and the mission is to save her from Psimon who is cracking into her head but she's fighting him. There's no real evidence to state that she was a mentalist of any kind, but just had a strong will of sorts (or heroes got there fast enough). Obviously can't have a lone child completely surrendering to the whims of Psimon instantly, so she is seen to be resisting his control to avoid PSI getting their hooks into her))
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User

bulgarex said:

Who?

Answer:

((Mark is referring to Breanna Biselle, who in game is captured by Medusa and the mission is to save her from Psimon who is cracking into her head but she's fighting him. There's no real evidence to state that she was a mentalist of any kind, but just had a strong will of sorts (or heroes got there fast enough). Obviously can't have a lone child completely surrendering to the whims of Psimon instantly, so she is seen to be resisting his control to avoid PSI getting their hooks into her))
    Well,
    her ex-boyfriend, who you interview while getting the clues to her location, suspects she's a telepath - she seemed to know the moment he joined VIPER, and dumped him almost immediately, without his saying anything about it.

"Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Thanks, folks. The phrasing of the original statement led me to suspect I'd missed something more. <3
    edited November 2017
    I'm a little hesitant to bring this up because it could provoke some heat here (and if it does I'd understand a community mod deleting the post), but this is sort-of a politics thread. :p Assuming the current public mood and government administration in the real United States carries over to the Champions Universe version -- and that's not necessarily the case -- I would expect a push by some political factions for a more aggressive and restrictive superhuman registration policy than the present looser official one. That shouldn't lead to a change in game play, but could make for some interesting role playing opportunities.
    I haven't seen any sort of push for a registration act, but if there was one I would enthusiastically participate! Just imagine, some sort of record keeping process to keep track of all of my amazing achievements! \o/
    I'd expect that regardless of what version of real world politics you push over, because the way the government interacts with superheroes in the CU is nutty.
    edited November 2017

I'd expect that regardless of what version of real world politics you push over, because the way the government interacts with superheroes in the CU is nutty.

Well, you really have to make a distinction between the official government policy described in the source books from the PnP game, and what you see happening in CO, where the devs have to consider accommodating players who want to play what they want to play, regardless of whether it matches continuity. :p

As laid out in Champions Universe, in principle, CU American law requires all superpowered individuals living in the country to register their true identities and the details of their powers with the US government. The information is held in a super-secure database which to date has never been breached. Any supers who don't register are technically law-breakers. In practice, though, there hasn't been any pursuit of unregistered supers who are otherwise law-abiding and perform good deeds, due to public support for such heroes, and the fact that government frequently needs their help and goodwill. However, the government usually requires registration as the price from any superhero requesting their help, and automatically registers captured super-criminals.

Should the political will and/or public opinion in the States become more aggressive and pro-active, the legislative tools to get tougher with superheroes are already in place.
  • and if that happens, we'll likely have another Sokovia Accords issue on our hands - which would be interesting to see a storyline about, since Civil War was a damn good film​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
  • kamokamikamokami Posts: 1,633 Arc User
    spinnytop said:

I'll stay home and read the newest issue of "Spectre Highschool" instead!

That sounds amazing. Where is it?
    jonsills said:

bulgarex said:

Who?

Answer:

Well,
    her ex-boyfriend, who you interview while getting the clues to her location, suspects she's a telepath - she seemed to know the moment he joined VIPER, and dumped him almost immediately, without his saying anything about it.
    IIRC the melted version of millennium city is actually a pocket dimension she created with her powers in her efforts to fight Psimon.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • why are you putting spoilers on common knowledge? first of all, science says spoilers don't exist, and second of all, most people already KNOW this s.hit​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
    Dun' be silly, we all know most people have never played the entire story in this game :p
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • tough

if they weren't here for the story at the start, that's their problem​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
    What kind of mayor lets a crazed bear man just terrorize a park for this many years.
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited November 2017

jonsills said:

bulgarex said:

Who?

Answer:

Well,
    IIRC the melted version of millennium city is actually a pocket dimension she created with her powers in her efforts to fight Psimon.
    Um...

Nope. You're thinking of Adina Munroe, a protopath that ARGENT kidnapped from PSI. Adina Munroe is not the same character as Breanna Biselle. PSI was helping Adina to control her power, before ARGENT came along and kidnapped her and made her a bit aggro.

tough

Using spoiler tags causes no hardship, and shows consideration for people who may be new to the game. What's the harm?
  • beezeezebeezeeze Posts: 927 Arc User
    Biselle is a hero in his own right, if he were not already mayor for life and allowed elections I would definitely vote for him.

• randomchance4242randomchance4242 Posts: 195 Arc User
    I just don't understand how he ever gets any work done when he's making a speech 7/24 just outside of city hall.

I just don't understand how he ever gets any work done when he's making a speech 7/24 just outside of city hall.

When you're not there he's also being kidnapped.
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    its the way his people like it.

he makes speeches and doesn't interfere with them getting the actual work done
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• scildtrumascildtruma Posts: 76 Arc User
    bulgarex said:

tough

Using spoiler tags causes no hardship, and shows consideration for people who may be new to the game. What's the harm?
    Well played and thank you for the consideration.
    My lvl 40 champs in random order.

=Pieces of Stuff=Knock Dead=Cruel Yule=Cremator=Toys from the Attic=
    =Gnosis Arcanum=Twenty Seven=Kama D=Critic=Creep Freeze=
    =Mangled Man=G.I. John Doe=2D.=Lung the punch drunk monk=
    =By the sword=Scild Truma=Shadow Puppet=Lu-7=Erysichthon=
    =Nimravid=Buzzard Kill=Lorenzini=Schema=

• furries2furries2 Posts: 80 Arc User
    spinnytop said:

Heroes could be doing more important things with their super powers than blasting some goon in a purple hat 3 city blocks just so they'll stop harassing restaurant owners.

"A Hero: So you want me to go 3 blocks down beat up some purple hatted guy for harassing restaurant owners? Really? I am a Super Hero why do I need to bother myself with such minor tasks, That's like being asked to fly up and save a kitten from a tree. Why can't anyone else do these things. We have bigger threats to deal with. Jeez."

"I'll never look back I've got no regrets Cause time doesn't wait for me I choose to go my own way."
    "Sonic Archie Comics"
    14mrud2.jpg
    Sonic Vs. Scourge

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension! - (Dr. Ivo Robotnik: You took the words right out of my mouth.)
  • rtmartma Posts: 1,198 Arc User
    furries2 said:

spinnytop said:

Heroes could be doing more important things with their super powers than blasting some goon in a purple hat 3 city blocks just so they'll stop harassing restaurant owners.

"A Hero: So you want me to go 3 blocks down beat up some purple hatted guy for harassing restaurant owners? Really? I am a Super Hero why do I need to bother myself with such minor tasks, That's like being asked to fly up and save a kitten from a tree. Why can't anyone else do these things. We have bigger threats to deal with. Jeez."

No, you can't steal from the People, that's the Government's job... they don't want competition so they send the indoctrinated foot soldiers to deal with "Criminals" while the corrupted finish them off with their system of belief, so much easier/acceptable to do when you label convincingly.
    Want to get to know me a bit better, Click me and take a read of My Dragon Profile Page, it's a bit dated but still relevant.

I take this quote from a review that I agree with.

"customisation is so linear; everyone is after the optimal dps:survivability ratio with 0 reliance on other players = autonomous gameplay... Players don't need each other anymore... which in my opinion is a bad thing."
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    Besides which, it makes it much easier for PRIMUS to make up files on everyone and their powers by getting them to do stuff around the city.
    All thos npc's you do jobs for, they report it all back.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg