test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Feedback Thread - Electricity Changes

Comments

• Options
    revanantmoriturirevanantmorituri Posts: 391 Arc User
    Bad time to discover that the Electricity update has gone live: right as you start fighting Grond for your daily GT ration.

Adapting my attack rotation without Lightning Arc and Ball Lightning was... exciting.
    -
    Formerly @Seschat pre PWEmerger. @Seschat on the Titan boards.

Supporter of the Titan Project.
  • Options
    avianos wrote: »
    >Not calling the ADV UNLIMITED POWER!
    3/10 ruined forever, litterly unplayable

funnily enough, it IS called that on live​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
  • Options
    jonesing4jonesing4 Posts: 800 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    I couldn't find anywhere it was addressed by a dev, and I'm not sure if people check the bug section for Live stuff. It's still fairly new, so maybe it's still fine here.

BUG:
    The additional lightning bolts that go off to the sides for Electrical Current are always red, unless you have the power color set to blue, in which case they disappear entirely.
    Post edited by jonesing4 on
  • Options
    ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    Might apply to above but..

BUG:Electrical Current: Typos in the description, refers to Bad Wiring- "Targets hit with VENOMOUS BREATH.."

also

The color changes are mostly red for this power. Blue seems to work but all the purples and yellows are defaulted to red.

• Options
    aiqaaiqa Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    Bug:
    Ionic reverberation does not work properly. For a full LA maintain I am getting 1, 2 or 3 energy ticks.
  • Options
    shadowolf505shadowolf505 Posts: 697 Arc User
    Oh, I thought I was the only one getting that problem. Meant to post about it as well.
    || Main Tank || DPSer || Healer || CCer || Altoholic || @shadowolf505 in game ||
  • Options
    xkagearashixxkagearashix Posts: 397 Arc User
    am I the only one that caught among the power changes listed was Frag Grenade which is a Muni power?
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User

am I the only one that caught among the power changes listed was Frag Grenade which is a Muni power?

No everyone noticed that. It just wasn't noteworthy enough to talk about.
  • Options
    kaiserin#0958 kaiserin Posts: 3,090 Cryptic Developer
    jonesing4 wrote: »
    I couldn't find anywhere it was addressed by a dev, and I'm not sure if people check the bug section for Live stuff. It's still fairly new, so maybe it's still fine here.

BUG:
    The additional lightning bolts that go off to the sides for Electrical Current are always red, unless you have the power color set to blue, in which case they disappear entirely.

I have not been able to reproduce this locally or on live. Do you have any further details on this bug?​​
  • Options
    notyuunotyuu Posts: 1,121 Arc User
    kaizerin said:

jonesing4 wrote: »

BUG:

I have not been able to reproduce this locally or on live. Do you have any further details on this bug?​​

it happens at random and looks like this

In all things, a calm heart must prevail.

Member of Paragon Dawn: Because some people like friendly helpful communities.

eOGi6Cv.png9rfvawn.pngr3iD4nS.png

Yeah some things are broken... no I don't use/abuse them.. where would be the fun in that?
  • Options
    ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    When I tested it at rank 1 the side bolts changed but the straight one stayed red
  • Options
    stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    Storm Summoner isn't very responsive when stopping or starting. I'm guessing it's the 1s activation, but it's still annoying when I want to move along or block or heal or anything.​​
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • Options
    gradii said:

I can add that even when electrical current is blue, sometimes at ranks other than 3 it will just display the middle lighting bolts and not show the side ones at all.​​

can confirm
  • Options
    jonesing4jonesing4 Posts: 800 Arc User
    Oddly enough, I'm no longer getting this bug. I was definitely still getting it yesterday, but I just logged on and tried all of my lightning characters out, and none of them had it. Tried every power color, tried it with no passive, no toggle, without applying NI or Superconductor (and with all of those things together), etc., and couldn't get the red stuff. Very strange.

Thanks for looking into it, either way. Seems like others are still having this trouble?
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Having tested END primary a bit, I think it's pretty nice now. However there are two things I think could still be improved a bit.

First the damage is still a bit lower than other options. And since the base damage bonus spec is still very much situational, I think the dps should be fully on par.

Second, stat scaling is far worse than other damage focused, primary stat specs. Ego and str both have crit chance and severity specs that scale with stats, and dex has severity, while end only has offense. So in bigger fights, where you have a good chance of getting AoPM, the already stronger stats pull ahead even more.

To improve on those two I think the base damage bonus spec should scale with your stats. With full r7 mods it should probably do the same 15% it does now, with justice gear and full r9 it could do about 3% higher.
    Post edited by aiqa on
  • Options
    revanantmoriturirevanantmorituri Posts: 391 Arc User
    The alternative is to buff the effectiveness of Offense, so building for it is nearly as effective as building for Criticals. Much the way in the PnP game, you can buy an EB for more consistent damage, or an RKA for those lucky multiplers, and depend on the fickleness of a malevolent RNG.

(Awaits the pitchfork bearing lynch mob calmly)
    -
    Formerly @Seschat pre PWEmerger. @Seschat on the Titan boards.

Supporter of the Titan Project.
  • Options
    eviltwintwoeviltwintwo Posts: 351 Arc User
    kaizerin said:

Build FC.31.20170802.12Increased the cost of the Electric personality advantage to 3 points, as 2 points was a bit cheap for a power that can be used alongside other powers.
    ​​

I'm going to go on record (again) as saying, THERE SHOULD BE NO 3-POINT ADVANTAGES IN THIS GAME. A 2-point advantage already removes the chance to make the power rank three, so making advantages cost 3 points is completely stupid. The fact that the devs can't see that annoys me to no end. All they're really doing is potentially preventing you from getting to rank 3 on TWO powers.

Also, what is this crap I'm hearing about forms like Concentration being changed to work with only one stat? That would be ridiculous. It would remove variety from the game.
  • Options
    kaizerin said:

FC.31.20170802.21
    New power progression path:

• 1: Electric Bolt
    • 1: Chain Lightning
    • 6: Electrical Current
    • 8: Electric Form
    • 11: Thunderstrike OR Ball Lightning
    • 14: Power Source
    • 17: Lightning Arc
    • 21: Electric Shield
    • 25: Ionic Reverberation
    • 30: Lightning Storm OR Giga Bolt
    • 35: Electric Sheath
    • 40: Electrocute OR Blinding Light
    ​​
    11: Thunderstrike OR Ball Lightning

Wow...just wow. I don't like this at all. Having both of these was central to how I played my Tempest. Well, I guess I can try another AT....
  • Options
    kaizerin said:

The goal of the recent archetype updates is to make them level easier, have fewer redundant choices and fewer 'bad' choices that can be made.

I understand that the level 40 power choices may not seem that 'grand', but allowing damage archetypes to access better area effect/single target moves earlier on makes the leveling experience much more smooth.

Electrocute and Blinding Flash aren't critical to the archetype, but offer some utility. Thunderstrike has an advantage that adds a 50% damage boost against held targets. Electrocute can apply the -res debuff via an advantage, creating a decent burst combination.

If that isn't appealing, a threat wipe is pretty handy in the late game when you're more likely to be teaming with people.​​

Kaiseran, I don't understand the changes to the Tempest, and I find your arguments at best uninteresting. Do you devs even play your own game? Well, it's yours and you can do what you want, I guess.
  • Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User

Wow...just wow. I don't like this at all. Having both of these was central to how I played my Tempest.

On a normal electric build, both of those powers fit a primary role of 'convenient power to apply/refresh negative ions', so yes, they're redundant and the AT should not give both. The AT could be improved slightly by, say, making the level 6 power a choice between electrical current and sparkstorm, but overall it's a solid electric build.
  • Options

Wow...just wow. I don't like this at all. Having both of these was central to how I played my Tempest.

On a normal electric build, both of those powers fit a primary role of 'convenient power to apply/refresh negative ions', so yes, they're redundant and the AT should not give both. The AT could be improved slightly by, say, making the level 6 power a choice between electrical current and sparkstorm, but overall it's a solid electric build.
    You're entitled to your opinion, of course, so don't take this reply as a jab at you or anything. They are not redundant. Lots of powers in the electric set apply negative ions. The percent chance on the two is not the same--Thunderstrike is 100% to primary target and 33-100% on secondaries; Ball Lightning is 25%. I do not consider 25% to be reliable for applying a debuff. Also, Thunderstrike is a charge, Ball Lightning is a click. I used a fully charged Thunderstrike as an opener, then Ball Lightning during the fight, then a click Thunderstrike if the fight was still going, then a Ball Lightning again. The cooldowns on the two powers made this a seemingly natural rotation which I liked very much but which is no longer available to me.

Secondly, applying a debuff was never the primary reason I used either of these powers.

Finally, the Tempest is not a free AT. I paid money for it because I thought it might be fun. I was right. It was one of the few AT's I grew to like--I can't play most of them, too irritating for me. Now it seems to be another cookie-cutter AT with poor choices at a few levels.

One day I may try it out and find that I like it okay. Today is not that day. I grew to like the Tempest because the power selection worked for me, and that is no longer true. So I'm going to erase it and try something else; my playstyle was absolutely destroyed by the changes, and I'm not interested in starting a level 40 that is neither what I paid for nor what I'm used to playing.

Again, if you feel differently, that doesn't bother me. Hope you and everyone else who likes the changes have fun with them.

[NOTE TO READERS: Keep in mind that this is about the Tempest, not the electricity powers as a whole. I like some of the changes.]
  • Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User

Ball Lightning is 25%. I do not consider 25% to be reliable for applying a debuff.

25% 3x/sec (assuming triplicity) for 16 seconds is most certainly reliable. The tempest matches the standard for electrical dps, which for single target is:
    1. Full charge Chain Lightning (Superconductor) to apply negative ions and superconductor.
    2. Lightning Arc (two full maintains, typically)
    3. Either ball lightning (triplicity, supercharged) or thunderstrike (strike down) to refresh negative ions/superconductor.
    4. Repeat steps 2 and 3.
    This may not be your favorite way to play, but the general requirement for revised ATs is that they're competently built, and the Tempest is.
  • Options
    gradii said:

Ball lightning has a 25% chance PER TICK and ticks many times though.​​

Why do you think I don't know that? And it doesn't matter anyway, I've already deleted my Tempest.
  • Options

Ball Lightning is 25%. I do not consider 25% to be reliable for applying a debuff.

25% 3x/sec (assuming triplicity) for 16 seconds is most certainly reliable. The tempest matches the standard for electrical dps, which for single target is:
    1. Full charge Chain Lightning (Superconductor) to apply negative ions and superconductor.
    3. Either ball lightning (triplicity, supercharged) or thunderstrike (strike down) to refresh negative ions/superconductor.
    4. Repeat steps 2 and 3.
    This may not be your favorite way to play, but the general requirement for revised ATs is that they're competently built, and the Tempest is.
    I'm not attempting to debate you about the value of the current AT. I told you already, did I not? If you like the new version of the Tempest, that's fine--but that's you. I don't like it, and I don't really care about the stuff you said above. What do you think you're going to do, repeat yourself with different words until I agree with you? And why would I play any other way than my favorite way?

I don't agree that the Tempest is better than it was. Or, rather, it isn't better for me. And I am not currently interested in playing it. End of discussion.
  • Options
    stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    Also, what is this crap I'm hearing about forms like Concentration being changed to work with only one stat? That would be ridiculous. It would remove variety from the game.

People being cynical based on changes to existing sets and how new forms are made. There hasn't been any official word, that I know of, talking about changes to Concentration.​​
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    sterga said:

People being cynical based on changes to existing sets and how new forms are made. There hasn't been any official word, that I know of, talking about changes to Concentration.​​

Oh. Thanks, Sterga. Here's hoping this, at least, is nothing but interweb fluff.
  • Options
    edited September 2017

4. Repeat steps 2 and 3.
    1. Chain lightning only applies superconductor on targets that are already affected by ions.
    Ions do no apply fast enough to do a double tap (if you have full energy) or charge + tap, you need to actually wait for a second or two. This makes superconductor pretty much useless against anything that is not a bossfight.

3. Ball Lighting is not a good way to refresh superconductor, it fails far to often. Thunderstrike is not a very safe way to refresh superconductor, since you only have a 2 second buffer for the duration. And Thunderstrike does about 500 higher damage (non crit) than chain lightning, over a 10 second duration that would be 50 dps, adding in crits that would increase to 75 dps or so. That is really quite a minimal improvement for requiring an extra power and adv points, and making your rotation that much more fragile.
  • Options

Oh. Thanks, Sterga. Here's hoping this, at least, is nothing but interweb fluff.

Sure, it makes sense that "the obvious best choice for any character" forms will stay the same as they are :)
  • Options
    kamokamikamokami Posts: 1,633 Arc User
    aiqa said:

Ball Lighting is not a good way to refresh superconductor, it fails far to often. Thunderstrike is not a very safe way to refresh superconductor, since you only have a 2 second buffer for the duration. And Thunderstrike does about 500 higher damage (non crit) than chain lightning, over a 10 second duration that would be 50 dps, adding in crits that would increase to 75 dps or so. That is really quite a minimal improvement for requiring an extra power and adv points, and making your rotation that much more fragile.

I get much higher dps with ball lighting as a refresh than with thunderstrike. I have found it to be a great way to refresh superconductor without any fails over 6-10 minute parses.
  • Options
    avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    kamokami wrote: »
    I get much higher dps with ball lighting as a refresh than with thunderstrike. I have found it to be a great way to refresh superconductor without any fails over 6-10 minute parses.

Yeah but have you tested it in 100 feet range?
    Ball Lighting is too slow and by the time it reach the target from that range, the electric debuff is already over before it refresh it

It's not trustworthy​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • Options
    One amendment to what I said before, at least for the electrical powers themselves--the 25% chance of negative ions from ball lightning does seem to be a bit more reliable than I originally considered it to be; I tested it on a FF (I got a respec because of Lightning Arc) and it appears I was underestimating the debuff apply rate. In fact, Hurricane + Perfect Storm (15% to apply negative ions) seems to work quite well, also. (NOTE: On my Tempest I considered certain powers as primarily damaging rather than debuffing, which means I wasn't paying close attention to the workings of negative ions.)

The new cone attack is aces; it'll probably get overnerfed. Its aftereffects are amazing, especially with the advantage + ionic reverberation. The small heals you can get from negative ions with the form could be really useful, too, like advantaged Ebon Void with damage instead of blocking. I can see that giving some survivability, as long as too much isn't expected of it.

None of this changes my mind about the new Tempest build. I still have no desire to play it. But as I've already indicated and stated, I like some of the electrical powers and some of the changes very much, so I'll be looking into using them on my freeform characters.
  • Options
    kamokami said:

aiqa said:

Ball Lighting is not a good way to refresh superconductor, it fails far to often. Thunderstrike is not a very safe way to refresh superconductor, since you only have a 2 second buffer for the duration. And Thunderstrike does about 500 higher damage (non crit) than chain lightning, over a 10 second duration that would be 50 dps, adding in crits that would increase to 75 dps or so. That is really quite a minimal improvement for requiring an extra power and adv points, and making your rotation that much more fragile.

When you're we bit further from your target, or when there is some lag in bigger fights, the initial refresh completely fails to work.
  • Options
    That's what you get when you trust your DPS set up on a psedo-pet

Electric Ball needs to be made faster​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • Options
    flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    Bug?: Storm Summoner still appears to not proc ranged toggles via the channeling stipulation. (prob due to its 1-sec tick, but it'd be nice if that was corrected for)

Also tested Sorc's Storm Invocation and it doesn't have this issue (I guess cause of the 1-sec longer channel time).
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • Options
    rebelscum58rebelscum58 Posts: 70 Arc User
    Yup, it doesn't proc it because it doesn't fulfil any of Concentration's conditions. It's 25 ft range so it can't hit things further away than that and proc it that way, it's not charged so it can't proc it that way, and it doesn't have enough ticks to proc it by maintaining for more than 4 ticks. The Force framework has the same issue with Crushing Wave.

It's worth noting, however, that Storm Summoner DOES proc Power Source reasonably reliably via its chance to apply negative ions. So it's possible, though not likely given the aforementioned Force power with the same issue, that it may have been by design to encourage the use of the new form toggle.
  • Options
    aiqa said:

When you're we bit further from your target, or when there is some lag in bigger fights, the initial refresh completely fails to work.

When I am far from the target I cast it before applying the debuff and the initial refresh always works.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    avianos said:

Yeah but have you tested it in 100 feet range?

Ball Lighting is too slow and by the time it reach the target from that range, the electric debuff is already over before it refresh it​​

Yeah I have tested it at 100ft and no other powerset, except for PA, gets higher DPS at 100ft. Ball Lightning will refresh the debuff easily for a huge portion of your cycle and when you see the timer running low then a quick tap of chain lightning will restart the full cycle over again. Not a big deal.
    Post edited by kamokami on
  • Options
    kamokami said:

aiqa said:

When I am far from the target I cast it before applying the debuff and the initial refresh always works.
    That is strange, because I can consistently reproduce the initial refresh failing.
  • Options
    I can also confirm from personal testing that I get refresh fail from 100 feet
    kamokami wrote: »
    Yeah I have tested it at 100ft and no other powerset, except for PA, gets higher DPS at 100ft. Ball Lightning will refresh the debuff easily for a huge portion of your cycle and when you see the timer running low then a quick tap of chain lightning will restart the full cycle over again. Not a big deal.
    It is kinda of a big deal though​​
  • Options
    aiqa said:

That is strange, because I can consistently reproduce the initial refresh failing.

What's your rotation? Mine is:
    1. Cast Ball Lightning
    2. Wait until it's about halfway to the target
    3. Tap Chain Lightning and apply Ions then tap it again to apply the debuff
    4. Ball Lightning reaches the target and refreshes the debuff

Works every time. I just did it about 10 times to confirm.
    avianos said:

Needing to tap a 0.67 activation power once every 20-25 secs to refresh a 100ft debuff is not a big deal.
  • Options
    kamokami said:

aiqa said:

What's your rotation? Mine is:
    1. Cast Ball Lightning
    2. Wait until it's about halfway to the target
    3. Tap Chain Lightning and apply Ions then tap it again to apply the debuff
    4. Ball Lightning reaches the target and refreshes the debuff

Works every time. I just did it about 10 times to confirm.
    avianos said:

Needing to tap a 0.67 activation power once every 20-25 secs to refresh a 100ft debuff is not a big deal.
    Apply ions+ debuff by any means you want. Then LA and BL at 100 feet range.

Are you taking into account that there are two refreshes on ball lightning? The refresh on the explosion part does work fine, but that is not enough to keep up the debuff. The refresh on the initial hit does not work fine.
  • Options
    aiqa said:

Are you taking into account that there are two refreshes on ball lightning? The refresh on the explosion part does work fine, but that is not enough to keep up the debuff. The refresh on the initial hit does not work fine.

Ah that. Yeah it fails a lot, that's true
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Also, refreshes failing is actually a big deal. You can of course easily "fix" it by applying the debuff again. But how will you even know it fails on a big fight, where your target has 50 status icons. That will be more a fight against the UI than anything else.

When you can not depend on your refresh, you will either have to reapply the debuff with chain lightning, or just ignore it and hope 3 other people will keep things up for you. All in all, refreshes are limited enough as is, they should at least be made reliable.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    after Storm Summoner got revamped, Sorcery's Invocation of Storm calling is looking really really inferior to comparison

Sure the Invocation of Storm calling has more ADVs, but most of them are underwelming
    The Repel adv needs to be changed into vacuum as well and this power needs more advs

aiqa wrote: »
    Also, refreshes failing is actually a big deal. You can of course easily "fix" it by applying the debuff again. But how will you even know it fails on a big fight, where your target has 50 status icons. That will be more a fight against the UI than anything else.

When you can not depend on your refresh, you will either have to reapply the debuff with chain lightning, or just ignore it and hope 3 other people will keep things up for you. All in all, refreshes are limited enough as is, they should at least be made reliable.
    My point as well, if you have to invest on a power slot a power points for ADVs, then the refresh better be working, especially on overcrowd battles like cosmics
    its not a free power, you need to invest on it​​
  • Options
    pwestolemynamepwestolemyname Posts: 978 Arc User
    aiqa said:

This is one of the biggest issues for any sort of debuffs or other status effects. In a line that stretches all the way across the monitor, and is constantly changing, it is very hard to reliably spot any given timer, especially when you trying to keep maintains up and work your rotation.
    - - - - -
    SIGNATURE:
    Used to be coach on the forums. Still @coach in game.
  • Options
    pwestolemynamepwestolemyname Posts: 978 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    Also, I noticed an issue using Chain Lightning at Ape. If you fully charge it to get the 100% debuff chance when your energy is not above 90%, the 50' arc from that can hit a heart and wake it up.

And, I'm still wondering if Ball Lightning w/ Triplicity is safe at Ape. I know it used to cause some problems with waking the hearts, but I'm not sure if that has been fixed. So far, at Ape, I have just been using my AOs and LArcing my brains out, not really worrying about the debuff. Hurts my score a bit, of course, but I don't have to worry about any errant damage waking a heart.

Personally, I just wish they'd do away with Arcing altogether. It's a useless mechanic that can get in the way more than it is helpful.
    - - - - -
    SIGNATURE:
    Used to be coach on the forums. Still @coach in game.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    I thought the Arcing mechanic changed so it won't break CC anymore [citation needed]​​
  • Options
    Ball lightning itself has never caused any problems against qwy. Problems are either people positioning themselves so that BL hits a heart while moving towards qwy, or people mistaking Teleios Lightning Rod for ball lightning.
This discussion has been closed.