test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Logan (spoilers)

championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
edited March 2017 in Off Topic
So, I just got back from seeing this movie. A number of things were expected maybe one or two things that weren't but in the end, I think it was better than the other Wolverine movies. Still not up there with the likes of the first X Men or X2, but definitely way better than Origins: Wolverine and X3.

Now, beyond this point there will be spoilers that pop up. So this is your last warning before proceeding.

Now, as far as my take on how the movie progressed, they explained why Wolverine was old and decrepit in this movie. To those that read the comics, it won't be a big shocker since it has come up before. Basically his adamantium is killing him. Makes sense, since having his bones completely laced with the stuff would have been lethal anyways since bones are needed to help keep your blood reproducing in your body, but that's just getting to silly biology at that point. The adamantium has poisoned him so much in fact that wounds he takes do not heal straight away and in fact his claws leave visible open wounds, and you can even see signs of infection setting in. In fact, he's actually limping throughout the movie.

Charles Xavier's character is once again portrayed by Patrick Stewart, but apparently he's developing some sort of brain disease such as Alzheimer's or something similar. It's one of the ones they mention in the movie, but he tends to forget things, which kind of creates a sad Mr. Magoo moment in the movie of a decrepit old man that suffers seizures that sends his telepathic powers out in death waves that essentially Logan is keeping under control with specific drugs, though what type is never actually mentioned. It can tug at heart strings at moments when you watch the interactions play out. And for those who have been predicting it, yes, your expectation of Professor X is exactly what happens.

The plot essentially is a dystopian ideal, but not the one where we are in mad max, but more or less all the world's mutants had been practically exterminated. Of course, that isn't true thanks to a black ops government experiment that uses DNA from past mutants to create a new breed of mutant children. The end result, Laura eventually finds her way to Logan, and Logan being the bitter, broken man longing for death that he is, is very reluctant to take her on. Even after he finds out that she is his daughter, he would rather just leave her behind. It subverts that common trope you often see in movies.

Dafne Keen (Laura Kinney, aka X-23, aka Wolverine) is surprisingly good in the role, doing quite well portraying that Wolverine level anger, rage and ferocity that Jackman did in the earlier movies, and under the guise of a Mexican child her dialog doesn't come off as bad, and even in those moments feels more natural. I was surprised they actually kept all the lore facets about her including her foot claws given how much Fox loves to ruin the lore and history of many of the mutant characters. The only mild change is instead of being a clone she's a direct offspring with them some how gaining access to Wolverine's seed. But given his proliferation in marvel, probably not a hard thing, when you think about it.

Over all, I give the plot a decent pass. My one major gripe is, they pull an Origins: Wolverine on us towards the middle of the story (not Deadpool) by sending out a genetic clone of Wolverine that is all rage. It ruins a good narrative, IMO, since Wolverine is already a dying man with his regenerative abilities growing weaker and weaker by the day to only throw in a last minute Wolvey on Wolvey fight that just feels forced and comes off as pointless, ruining the narrative flow that already created just for a 5 second gasp moment. And the stupid adamantium bullet returns like it was some how a silver bullet.

Over all I think it's a good movie, it can set up a New Mutants line and passes the torch to Laura Kinney quite well in this movie. It also creates, I think, a decent send off for Hugh Jackman as this is rumored to be his last outing as Wolverine. But, we will see what happens since there have been rumblings of Fox planning to reboot the X franchise again.
Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
Silverspar on PRIMUS
Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!