test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Where is a Might energy unlock?

pallas0001pallas0001 Posts: 157 Arc User
Everyone else seems to have one... or multiple.

Comments

• roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    Defiance passive is its own energy unlock. You gain energy whenever you take damage.
    Otherwise, you're out of luck.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • chaosdrgnz43chaosdrgnz43 Posts: 1,674 Arc User
    Sadly, Might's only "energy unlocks" are its passives.

Defiance gives energy when you are struck
    Unstoppable give energy every tine you knock an enemy.
    mfZ37eB.png
    Feel free to visit my websites!^^:
    DeviantART|FurAffinity|
    Twitter
  • championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited March 2017

Everyone else seems to have one... or multiple.

Divorcing the energy return from defiance and unstoppable has been talked about, but probably won't happen until a passives review or the Brick tree sees a review itself.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • rtmartma Posts: 1,198 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    @championshewolf Hope not, it gives them distinction and Function giving a 'Fuel my Rage' (Strictly Brick Builds) type of Feel.
    Post edited by rtma on
    Want to get to know me a bit better, Click me and take a read of My Dragon Profile Page, it's a bit dated but still relevant.

I take this quote from a review that I agree with.

"customisation is so linear; everyone is after the optimal dps:survivability ratio with 0 reliance on other players = autonomous gameplay... Players don't need each other anymore... which in my opinion is a bad thing."
  • itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,777 Arc User
    It doesn't have one, and I like it that way.
    The last thing we need is to have to dump another power pick on an energy unlock and have even less bandwidth.

You have a selection of unlocks in other powersets anyway, like MSA and Wind Reverb w/ Mighty Kick.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • hamsupfaymuihamsupfaymui Posts: 17 Arc User
    Gravity doesn't have an Energy Unlock either. It relies on another framework's Energy Unlock at the moment.
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    Well, Relentless is a workable EU for now for might, just gotta get something that applies a bleed. I'm sure Might will get its own EU eventually. Just gotta wait for a new Incredible Hulk movie to come out \o3o/
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User

The last thing we need is to have to dump another power pick on an energy unlock and have even less bandwidth.

You have a selection of unlocks in other powersets anyway, like MSA and Wind Reverb w/ Mighty Kick.

I have some toons that have no energy unlock, especially if they have high End/Rec scores, and a hit or two from an energy builder works wonders. An energy unlock is great, but it isn't mandatory for many builds. None of my support builds use energy unlocks at all.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User

Gravity doesn't have an Energy Unlock either. It relies on another framework's Energy Unlock at the moment.

There's a Gravity framework??? News to me.

'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited March 2017

I have some toons that have no energy unlock, especially if they have high End/Rec scores, and a hit or two from an energy builder works wonders. An energy unlock is great, but it isn't mandatory for many builds. None of my support builds use energy unlocks at all.
    Too many people in this game that think they should never ever have to use their energy builder.

'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • rtmartma Posts: 1,198 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    gradii said:

Becuase it's the truth? Energy management is not a fun or well thought out part of the game.

Then how would you purpose it would work? like the NPC's that have no Energy but pretty much every power expect the Basic Energy builder with a cooldown? I don't have much problems with using EB, especially with the inconsistency of Lag, I end up hitting the target with EB a few times, with Rec rebuilding my energy in the process before I can charge up an attack.
    Want to get to know me a bit better, Click me and take a read of My Dragon Profile Page, it's a bit dated but still relevant.

I take this quote from a review that I agree with.

"customisation is so linear; everyone is after the optimal dps:survivability ratio with 0 reliance on other players = autonomous gameplay... Players don't need each other anymore... which in my opinion is a bad thing."
  • maatmonsmaatmons Posts: 346 Arc User1
    rtma said:

Then how would you purpose it would work?

Well, this is veering off topic a bit, but my preferred approach is for the “basic” attacks to be good enough that player's don't mind using them most of the time, and for all other attacks to be situational.

I want my choice of attack to stem from the tactical conditions on the battlefield. I want gameplay that forces me to keep my eyes on my enemy. I don't want to be watching a timer or energy meter off in the corner of the screen.

A good example is the basic light/heavy attack dichotomy. The heavy attack deals more damage, and is always available. The reason you don't just use that one all the time is because it's slower, easier to block, and leaves you open to counterattack. You need to set up a good opportunity to use it.

Then of course, you've got the single-target/area-effect dichotomy. Though I prefer for the “single-target” stuff to actually be area-effect with a small area, so it's hard to get multiple enemies in it, but not impossible. In any case, the decision of which attack to use is based on how many enemies are around, and where exactly they are.

For the attacks that have special effects, like knocking down enemies, inflicting bleed, or moving me toward the enemy, I like for them to deal less damage than the basic attacks. That way, I could just throw those out all the time, but I'm better off switching back to the basic attacks until I need to refresh a condition or something.

So, overall, I don't want any attacks to actually be better than any other attacks. Nothing I'll simply always want to use, assuming I have the energy or it's not on cooldown. I want a selection of attack, all of which are always available, set up so that I'll sometimes want to use one, and sometimes another.
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    rtma said:

gradii said:

Becuase it's the truth? Energy management is not a fun or well thought out part of the game.

Then how would you purpose it would work?
    Generally speaking, the point of energy is to limit how often you can use your best abilities. It's somewhat similar to cooldowns, but it's a shared cooldown rather than a per-power, so it behaves somewhat differently.

The problem with this in CO is that the way energy gain works in CO is utterly broken. Normally you would have a formula that's something like "1 energy -> 100 damage", and then a character that gains 20 energy per second could be expected to do 2,000 dps. However, energy gain in CO is absurdly variable. A rank 1 energy builder with 10 Rec and 10 End probably gives you a bit over 20 energy per second. With 200 Rec and 400 End, expected value would be more like 200 energy per second. You can't have an order of magnitude difference in energy gain and expect an energy model like the above to make any sense.

A rational model would be something like: you have a passive energy gain of 20 energy/sec (weakly adjusted for Recovery, End has no effect). A free power does 1,000 dps and costs no energy. A normal power does 3,000 dps and costs 20 energy/sec. An expensive power does 10,000 dps and costs 100 energy/sec (you can have a wider range of costs, this is just an example).

This means you can do 10,000 damage every 5s (and do 1,000 damage the other 4; total 14,000/5s), or you can do 3,000 damage every 1s (total 15,000/5s); thus, you get a dps spike at a slight cost of sustained dps. End becomes valuable because it increases the spike magnitude you can get, but doesn't increase your dps (exact details might vary, of course).
  • aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    rtma wrote: »
    Then how would you purpose it would work? like the NPC's that have no Energy but pretty much every power expect the Basic Energy builder with a cooldown? I don't have much problems with using EB, especially with the inconsistency of Lag, I end up hitting the target with EB a few times, with Rec rebuilding my energy in the process before I can charge up an attack.
    No energy cost on most powers. Scrap End/Rec and make energy returns the same for low levels and uber-geared endgame players alike, because one shouldn't have it bad while the other gets it ezmode.

Then, with tuning, energy could instead serve as a limiting factor for the stronger stuff. That's already how it pretty much works in endgame now, thanks to wonky energy unlocks, massive cost reductions on gear, form energy returns, and ridiculous crap like bonus energy returns on higher-tier gear. The difference is that, due to the way things work now, you have to game the stats in order to make everything work properly, and that's where the fault lies.

I realize energy builders try to do something like that already, but the problem is that the energy builder damage is so bad you might as well not be doing any damage at all. It's a "stop and catch your breath" button, and that doesn't really amount to meaningful gameplay. Thus, that's why most people try their hardest to kick the EB out of their rotation as much as possible.​​
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
    edited March 2017

Generally speaking, the point of energy is to limit how often you can use your best abilities. It's somewhat similar to cooldowns, but it's a shared cooldown rather than a per-power, so it behaves somewhat differently.

The problem with this in CO is that the way energy gain works in CO is utterly broken. Normally you would have a formula that's something like "1 energy -> 100 damage", and then a character that gains 20 energy per second could be expected to do 2,000 dps. However, energy gain in CO is absurdly variable. A rank 1 energy builder with 10 Rec and 10 End probably gives you a bit over 20 energy per second. With 200 Rec and 400 End, expected value would be more like 200 energy per second. You can't have an order of magnitude difference in energy gain and expect an energy model like the above to make any sense.

A rational model would be something like: you have a passive energy gain of 20 energy/sec (weakly adjusted for Recovery, End has no effect). A free power does 1,000 dps and costs no energy. A normal power does 3,000 dps and costs 20 energy/sec. An expensive power does 10,000 dps and costs 100 energy/sec (you can have a wider range of costs, this is just an example).

This means you can do 10,000 damage every 5s (and do 1,000 damage the other 4; total 14,000/5s), or you can do 3,000 damage every 1s (total 15,000/5s); thus, you get a dps spike at a slight cost of sustained dps. End becomes valuable because it increases the spike magnitude you can get, but doesn't increase your dps (exact details might vary, of course).

That all sounds great, but I think the question was "how would you propose it works" without any energy management, since Gradii's claim was that energy management is badbadnofunbad. You just proposed a different energy management system. I mean I think you have some good ideas, but you didn't really answer the question.
    gradii said:

Actually it's because the energy builder doesn't require any effort on the players part to use, you toggle it on and that's it, its the least engaging thing in the game. far more fun to press the other buttons.

Well, you can set it so the energy builder works like a maintain where you have to keep the button held if that will make it more fun and engaging for you.

As is, energy management adds another layer of thought to builds. As Panta points out the energy system as a whole isn't perfect ( and I'm sure that improvement of it is on that long long list of work the devs have ), but that doesn't detract from the fact that it makes character building more engaging and serves as another point of balance which allows us to have a greater variety of powers and potential builds. Yes, the end goal is always "Have enough energy to use what I want whenever I want" but the process of figuring out how to arrive there adds more thinking and potential for creativity to the process. Sure, it doesn't add crazy levels of theoretical physics problem solving levels of thought, but who would want that anyway; it's supposed to be fun, so each layer of thought should be light and breezy. So basically, the energy management system adds build diversity and engagement, two very good things for the game.
    spinnytop wrote: »
    As is, energy management adds another layer of thought to builds. As Panta points out the energy system as a whole isn't perfect ( and I'm sure that improvement of it is on that long long list of work the devs have ), but that doesn't detract from the fact that it makes character building more engaging and serves as another point of balance which allows us to have a greater variety of powers and potential builds. Yes, the end goal is always "Have enough energy to use what I want whenever I want" but the process of figuring out how to arrive there adds more thinking and potential for creativity to the process. Sure, it doesn't add crazy levels of theoretical physics problem solving levels of thought, but who would want that anyway; it's supposed to be fun, so each layer of thought should be light and breezy. So basically, the energy management system adds build diversity and engagement, two very good things for the game.
    While it may add more thinking, I disagree that it adds more diversity. If anything, it often feels like it limits diversity because, after I've picked the powers that best fit my intended theme, I arrive at the energy roadblock and ask myself, "okay, now how can I fuel all this?" Then, I'll look at my desired stats, my desired powers, then at which energy unlock would work best with what I want while presenting as few hoops to jump through as possible. Then I look at which cheese powers would be best to trigger that energy unlock in a way that is cross-framework friendly. Finally, I sit back and look at my character and...find myself lamenting how spirit reverb + soul vortex, or setting things on fire with clinging flames has absolutely nothing to do with my theme.

So I scrap it all and start again.

Energy management in this game is pretty stupid for all the reasons people have already pointed out. It's like the bloatware that comes bundled with a program you want to download, except the "Not interested" checkbox is nowhere to be found. I may not be speaking for everyone, but I want to blow up bad guys and feel like a badass, not trip over a poorly-contrived energy system.​​
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
    spinnytop said:

Sure, it doesn't add crazy levels of theoretical physics problem solving levels of thought, but who would want that anyway

Theoretical optimization for D&D 3.5 came pretty close to that level of complexity. I have fond memories of debates on comparative infinities, the mechanics of time travel, and population growth models for the common earthworm. And yes, all of those actually were necessary to determine if a proposed character could work.
    edited March 2017
    maatmons said:

spinnytop said:

Sure, it doesn't add crazy levels of theoretical physics problem solving levels of thought, but who would want that anyway

Theoretical optimization for D&D 3.5 came pretty close to that level of complexity. I have fond memories of debates on comparative infinities, the mechanics of time travel, and population growth models for the common earthworm. And yes, all of those actually were necessary to determine if a proposed character could work.
    Yeah but I don't wanna do that in CO o3o
    aesica said:

Finally, I sit back and look at my character and...find myself lamenting how spirit reverb + soul vortex, or setting things on fire with clinging flames has absolutely nothing to do with my theme.

So I scrap it all and start again.

That's good, because that's exactly what you should do in that case. The point isn't grabbing something out of theme to prop up your build. Where the thought comes in is preserving your theme while producing an efficient energy system. My suggestion would be to never deviate into the "Then I look at which cheese powers would be best to trigger that energy unlock in a way that is cross-framework friendly." part of your process - it sounds like that specifically is where you derail yourself. Always be looking for in-theme ways to meet your energy needs.

PS - The Cheese Framework is the worst power framework in the game, I would suggest avoiding it.
    aesica said:

I may not be speaking for everyone, but I want to blow up bad guys and feel like a badass, not trip over a poorly-contrived energy system.​​

If you like I can give you some tips on how to do that. I spend a lot of time being a badass and blowing up bad guys, and I never trip over the energy system - and I stay in-theme the entire time.
    spinnytop said:

The Cheese Framework is the worst power framework in the game, I would suggest avoiding it.

Really, all the Dairy frameworks were questionable inclusions.
  • kamokamikamokami Posts: 1,633 Arc User

This. If the introduction of a Might EU necessitates the effective removal of energy return from Might's passives then I'd rather not.
  • raighnraighn Posts: 2,339 Arc User
    kamokami said:

This. If the introduction of a Might EU necessitates the effective removal of energy return from Might's passives then I'd rather not.
    I honestly doubt it would... technically there are several Offensive Passives have an energy return mechanic... but all of them except for Unstoppable are so situational that you'll almost never benefit from them... Fiery Form returns Energy when you take Fire Damage, Ice Form from taking Ice Damage, Electric Form from taking Electric Damage, WotW from dodging, Shadow Form from Dimensional Damage... Honestly they should review all passives and give them all an innate energy return that is more in line with Unstoppable... Something that you can ACTUALLY benefit from anywhere.
    ^-^ cute, cuddly, @Pandabutt ^-^
    jniKqKJ.png
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,022 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    It's exactly where Force, Earth and Celestial energy unlocks are, Non existance
    When will Might get an EU? when the powerframe gets revamped (I suspect this will happen when the Wonder Woman movie hits the theaters)

Also it would suck if they removed the Energy gain for knocking from Unstoppable, I like not having an EU for my Might and Heavy Weapon DPS characters

but again removing this energy bonus would make Unstoppable less unique from other passives, making people ignoring it for Way of the Warrior, so I doubt it will happen​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
    edited March 2017
    avianos wrote: »
    It's exactly where Force, Earth and Celestial energy unlocks are, Non existance
    When will Might get an EU? when the powerframe gets revamped (I suspect this will happen when the Wonder Woman movie hits the theaters)​
    To be fair though, Celestial can at least make use of both Conjuring (Illumination/Illuminated) and Spirit Reverberation (provided it has a way to apply fear to targets) although the value of the latter is questionable because Celestial's dual-nature mechanic seems to mean its damage output must be subpar. Celestial is actually better off EU-wise than even some frameworks with EUs, such as Gadgeteering since the main Gadgeteering powers can't make proper use of MSA due to not having cooldowns. Earth and Force though, yeah. They've got it rough at the moment although I guess they could tap into Might's non-EU energy returns from Unstoppable or Defiance.
    kamokami wrote: »
    If the introduction of a Might EU necessitates the effective removal of energy return from Might's passives then I'd rather not.
    So you're okay with Might's passives being overpowered in that regard? By decoupling the knock-for-energy mechanic from Unstoppable, and the gain-energy-on-hit mechanic from Defiance, you could produce two new energy unlocks that would be useful for a much wider variety of builds.
    spinnytop wrote: »
    If you like I can give you some tips on how to do that. I spend a lot of time being a badass and blowing up bad guys, and I never trip over the energy system - and I stay in-theme the entire time.
    I'll probably post it in the builds section sometime later today, but I think it might be an issue of wanting to use powers that are currently in a bad spot in terms of energy unlocks (PBR) as well as a type of AoE that seems to be a combination of scarce, generally energy-hungry, and appropriate to theme. (maintained ranged sphere-based AoE or PBAoE)

Good luck if you can solve it though!​​
    edited March 2017
    aesica wrote: »
    To be fair though, Celestial can at least make use of both Conjuring (Illumination/Illuminated) and Spirit Reverberation (provided it has a way to apply fear to targets) although the value of the latter is questionable because Celestial's dual-nature mechanic seems to mean its damage output must be subpar. Celestial is actually better off EU-wise than even some frameworks with EUs, such as Gadgeteering since the main Gadgeteering powers can't make proper use of MSA due to not having cooldowns. Earth and Force though, yeah. They've got it rough at the moment although I guess they could tap into Might's non-EU energy returns from Unstoppable or Defiance.
    Doesn't change the fact that Celestial as a set needs it own unique EU instead of borrowing the EUs from Gadget, Darkness and Sorcery
    but this goes on another topic because I want Celestial to get revamp and get new Offensive-focused powers
    aesica wrote: »
    So you're okay with Might's passives being overpowered in that regard? By decoupling the knock-for-energy mechanic from Unstoppable, and the gain-energy-on-hit mechanic from Defiance, you could produce two new energy unlocks that would be useful for a much wider variety of builds.
    !
    With that Logic the energy gain from Way of the Warrior for having your attacks Dodged and Composure for granding you energy for dodging are OP
    All passives needs to have Unique features and Unstoppable REALLY needs them
    because if it didn't it would be an inferior Way of the Warrior clone, and a lot of people already take WotW instead for the Dodge bonuses​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
    edited March 2017
    Doesn't change the fact that Celestial as a set needs it own unique EU instead of borrowing the EUs from Gadget, Darkness and Sorcery but this goes on another topic because I want Celestial to get revamp and get new Offensive-focused powers
    Oh I don't disagree. Eventually, I hope it gets a pass at some point) it needs both its own, unique EU (fear doesn't make a lot of sense) and a way for its damage to not stink.
    With that Logic the energy gain from Way of the Warrior for having your attacks Dodged and Composure for granding you energy for dodging are OP
    All passives needs to have Unique features and Unstoppable REALLY needs them
    because if it didn't it would be an inferior Way of the Warrior clone, and a lot of people already take WotW instead for the Dodge bonuses
    I agree with them having unique features, because otherwise you might as well just remove them all and replace them with 3 options, named: Tank Passive, Healing Passive, and Damage Passive. The problem is that the "unique features" of might's passives mean that they double as energy unlocks. And they stack with actual energy unlocks. I can take my form of choice and my energy unlock of choice and get energy from both. Then, I can either take Defiance and get energy thrown at me on top of what the other two already give me, or I can take Invulnerability and get nothing. Defiance already wins out over Invulnerability when really big hits are concerned. Why does it need to have a free energy unlock bundled with it on top of that? The same goes for offensive passives. Most of them have situational energy returns that can't really be relied upon, but Unstoppable is the exact opposite, as its return is very reliable in a knock-heavy build.​​
    aesica said:

Earth and Force though, yeah. They've got it rough at the moment although I guess they could tap into Might's non-EU energy returns from Unstoppable or Defiance.

If only Unstoppable didn't have that caveat of "Melee knocks" then they could benefit from Unstoppable...
    jniKqKJ.png
    edited March 2017
    Well the whole Defiance-Invulnerability goes ALSO on another whole topic because Defiance is heavily relying on CON stacking, is bad for group mobs on low stacks and it resist better on Alpha strikes attacks
    while Invulnerability is NOT CON reliable, is better against mob groups, can handle maintain and aoes betters but melts like butter against alpha spike attacks (Cue Gravitar's force bubbles PTSD)

and to tell you my personal opinion I still prefer Invulnerability to this very day because it doesn't force me to stack CON, it's better for leveling, better for both main tanking and off-tanking and now that we are getting respective themed EU for each powerframe, Defiance's free energy from hit means nothing to me​​
    raighn wrote: »
    Earth and Force though, yeah. They've got it rough at the moment although I guess they could tap into Might's non-EU energy returns from Unstoppable or Defiance.

If only Unstoppable didn't have that caveat of "Melee knocks" then they could benefit from Unstoppable...
    Unstoppable returns energy for ranged attacks as well. The main drawback is the reduced bonus to ranged damage.​​
    Well the whole Defiance-Invulnerability goes ALSO on another whole topic because Defiance is heavily relying on CON stacking, is bad for group mobs on low stacks and it resist better on Alpha strikes attacks
    while Invulnerability is NOT CON reliable, is better against mob groups, can handle maintain and aoes betters but melts like butter against alpha spike attacks (Cue Gravitar's force bubbles PTSD)

and to tell you my personal opinion I still prefer Invulnerability to this very day because it doesn't force me to stack CON, it's better for leveling, better for both main tanking and off-tanking and now that we are getting respective themed EU for each powerframe, Defiance's free energy from hit means nothing to me
    Yeah, it's a bit weird that Defiance is one of the few (maybe only?) passives that relies on a particular stat rather than just "your super stats" in general. Other than that, I think all the tradeoffs are fine.​​
    There should be at least one EU for every power set... every build style should have a viable EU as well... and at least one of the EUs for each power set MUST function naturally with the set's synergies.

If you have to cheese the system to make an EU work then it is bad design.​​
    jniKqKJ.png