test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Energy Unlock write-up and review

aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
edited December 2016 in Power Discussion
So, in light of the Overdrive nerf, I've begun looking for something that's actually useful for my main. Since I found the collection of this data useful, I figure I'd share it with anyone else who may be in the same situation as me. So here you go!

Note: The ratings are based on...
1) Usefulness of associated stats
2) Ease of application and uptime available via the "gimmick power" (what you need to make the energy unlock work)
3) Cross-framework usefulness. This one is very heavily weighted because obviously every energy unlock is good if all you want to use are the powers from its native framework*

* Except of course for Molecular Self-Assembly for Gadgeteering, but that's for another topic.

Note 2: These are based entirely on opinion

[Con]
★★★★☆ Spirit Reverberation
+ Scales with Constitution, a useful all-around stat for staying alive
+ Does not restore energy over time, although damage over time effects can simulate the energy over time feeling pretty well
- Very limited selection of powers that both apply fear and deal dimensional damage to trigger it reliably
- Highly visual effects can be theme-breaking
Recommended powers: Soul Vortex w/ R2 or R3 highly recommended. Void Shift w/ Emerging Nightmares and Grasping Shadows w/ Unyielding Agony can work too. Ebon Ruin w/ Paranormal Paranoia...barely

[Int]
★★★★★ Conjuring
+ Uses Int, the same stat as Concentration, Particle Accelerator, and Spellcaster
+ Has lots of different "1 shot apply" powers, many with other useful secondary effects
+ Restores energy over 6 seconds
Recommended powers: Pillar of Poz, Will-o-the-Wisp w/ Guide (and/or curse if using Magic damage), Hex of Suffering, Curse w/ Jinx, Particle Wave w/ Illuminate, Particle Smash w/ Light Everlasting, Illumination

★★★★☆ Molecular Self-Assembly
+ Uses Int, the same stat as Concentration, Particle Accelerator, and Spellcaster
+ Short-cooldown powers are found in many different frameworks, offering variety
- Does not return energy until a cooldown finishes, making short-cooldown powers ideal
3 second CD powers: Force Geyser, Hurl, Storm of Arrows (long maintain), Rising Knee, Eviscerate, Vala's Light, Expulse, most lunges
5 second CD powers: Torrent of Arrows
6 second CD powers: Tractor Beam, Force Snap, Thunderclap, Conviction, Telekinetic Wave, Backhand Chop, Plasma Cutter, Grapple Gun Pull, Rocket, Frag Grenade, Dust Devil

[End]
★★★★☆ Thermal Reverberation
+ Can stack multiple times with multiple enemies
+ Persists as long as clinging flames is active
+ Has lots of different "1 shot apply" powers
- Has a short internal CD which may prevent stacking when multiple targets are affected at the same time
- Highly visual effects can be theme-breaking
Recommended powers: Flashfire, Eruption w/ Magma Burst, Brimstone w/ Aftershock, Pyre, Iron Lariat w/ Red Hot, Will-o-the-Wisp w/ Ghost Fire, Frag Grenade w/ Incendiary Grenade

★★★☆☆ Wild Thing
+ Bleeds exist in several different frameworks
- The 25% chance-apply over time mechanics on certain powers aren't always reliable
Recommended powers: Chained Kunai w/ Open Wound or Barbed Lariat w/ Open Wound

★★★☆☆ Mephitic
+ Poison exists in a few frameworks outside Infernal--mainly Bestial
- The 25% chance-apply over time mechanics on certain powers aren't always reliable
Recommended powers: Will-o-the-Wisp, Vile Lariat w/ Viral

★★☆☆☆ Unified Theory
- Plasma Burn effects are limited to Laser Swords for now
Recommended powers: Cybernetic Tether w/ Radiate

★☆☆☆☆ Supernatural Power
+ Very short (if any) internal CD
- Only works with Bestial and Infernal powers
- Has a slight activation delay, so maintained powers may be interrupted before energy can refill
Recommended powers: Any Bestial or Infernal

☆☆☆☆☆ Wind Reverberation
+ Repels are present on a few powers outside Wind
- Most, if not all non-Wind repels only return energy if they actual repel the target - useless against repel-immune targets

☆☆☆☆☆ Icy Embrace
+ Restores energy over 3 seconds
+ Can stack with multiple targets
- Has a short internal CD which prevents stacking if several targets are chilled at the same time
- Even though it restores over time, the duration is too short to be useful with cross-framework powers
- Only decent easy-apply power (Frost Breath w/ Frostbite) runs into the internal CD problem

☆☆☆☆☆ Overdrive
+ Works with all maintains
- Can't come close to supporting most maintains
- Requires a large investment in End or Rec to yield decent returns
- Duration is too short to fully ramp up without running multiple PA toggles at once
- Stacking mechanic combined with current duration is fairly punishing to standard maintain users
Recommended powers: Extremely low-cost maintains, better energy unlocks

[Dex]
★☆☆☆☆ Steadfast
+ Scales with Dexterity, a useful offensive stat
+ Fast-ticking abilities can give it good uptime despite not having an over-time mechanic
+ Works well with all martial arts powers
- Only works with martial arts powers
- Requires high critical chance or guaranteed-crit abilities to reliably return energy since it's not over time

[Ego]
★☆☆☆☆ Killer Instinct
+ Scales with Ego, a useful offensive stat
+ Fast-ticking abilities give it efficient returns, despite not having an over-time mechanic
- Only works with Munitions powers

☆☆☆☆☆ Hunter's Instinct
- Only works with Archery powers

☆☆☆☆☆ Ego Reverberation
- Only works with Telekinesis powers

[Presence]
★☆☆☆☆ Telepathic Reverberation
+ Scales with Presence, a useful healing stat
+ Returns energy over time...sort of
- Only works with Telepathy powers and with very specific conditions

[Rec]
★☆☆☆☆ Ionic Reverberation
+ Very short internal CD
+ Has partial scaling with End
- Requires constant interaction with Negative Ions for energy generation
Recommended powers: Ball Lightning w/ Triplicity, Sparkstorm

Any mistake corrections or comments are appreciated. :3
(Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
Post edited by aesica on

Comments

• avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    For Thermal Reverb, You forgot to add Frag Grenade (Incendiary Grenade) really good synergy

I consider Wind Reverberation the worst EU as well, supposedly the update last week fixed it so it can get activated when fighting Repel Immune bosses now, haven't check it yet

There are repel powers which trigger it like Hypervoice, Crushing Wave and PA stuff
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    avianos said:

For Thermal Reverb, You forgot to add Frag Grenade (Incendiary Grenade) really good synergy

I consider Wind Reverberation the worst EU as well, supposedly the update last week fixed it so it can get activated when fighting Repel Immune bosses now, haven't check it yet

There are repel powers which trigger it like Hypervoice, Crushing Wave and PA stuff

Oh right, forgot all about frag grenade. added it.

When I last played with it, wind powers (well, the ones I tried) still gave energy vs repel-immune bosses, but quicksand, crushing wave, etc did not. That's why I pretty much disregarded them.

I'll play around and see if they fixed those. If so, it might actually jump from 0 to 1 stars. ;)
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • pwestolemynamepwestolemyname Posts: 978 Arc User
    CAN WE GET A STICKY?!?! WHAT WHAT
    - - - - -
    SIGNATURE:
    Used to be coach on the forums. Still @coach in game.
  • aiqaaiqa Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    Ionic Reverb scales with END & REC, but mostly with REC. Overdrive scales with END, not with REC (apart from the thing where REC makes all EU's return a little more energy). Supernatural power SC scales with REC (thought still works better with END).

Supernatural Power can be 5 stars if you don't use high cost attacks. You can infinitely spam any maintain or combo power in the supernatural sets, as long as you make sure 15% of your max energy allows for 2 damage ticks or combo hits. And since just taking END SS, without any END gearing, can get you well over 200 max energy, that means any combo or maintain attack with <15 energy per tick in be spammed without ever running out of energy.
  • kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    Overdrive is END, not REC. And I believe Supernatural Power scales on REC, not END (though END would affect when it triggers).

Also, I'll agree with aiqa that Supernatural Power can be good. My Bestial can go to town with Shreds, Massacre taps, and impersonate cans of Raid with Venomous Breath. But the fact that it only benefits Supernatural powers highly limits it's versatility, which I imagine you factor in with your ratings.​​
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    Thanks for the heads up on Overdrive and Ionic Reverb, I'll fix those in a moment.

Re Supernatural Power: The main reason I rated it so low is because it doesn't do anything for powers outside Bestial and Infernal, and the main purpose of this post was to highlight energy unlocks that can be used with any of the other frameworks.
  • raighnraighn Posts: 2,339 Arc User
    Regarding the Dex & Ego based EUs...

Killer Instinct
    + has access to multiple fast ticking abilities allowing it to proc often

Hunter's Instinct
    - has access to very few fast ticking abilities resulting in infrequent procs

Steadfast
    +has access to multiple fast ticking abilities allow it to proc often
    +has access to a few guaranteed crit abilities

for those reasons I would honestly bump Killer Instinct up to 1 star and Steadfast up to 2... Hunter's Instinct however if it were possible to give it negative stars it would certainly be deserving of such a rating...
    ^-^ cute, cuddly, @Pandabutt ^-^
    jniKqKJ.png
    ^ Thanks, updated. I gave KI 1 star because I forgot all about the quick firing rate most munitions powers have. Steadfast remains at 1 though because even though many abilities tick fast and there are some guaranteed crit abilities, proper use is gated around scoring critical hits. With Hunter's Instinct (which I agree is terrible) I can get energy by just dealing damage rather than requiring that the damage be a critical hit. The presence of 100% crit abilities seems to me like more of an equalizer rather than something that gives Steadfast an advantage over other EUs. if that makes sense.
  • raighnraighn Posts: 2,339 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    yea, that makes sense... I guess looking back on it, my Munitions character with KI does have better energy efficency than my MA characters with Steadfast... but only slightly... and of course, my Archery character's energy return with HI was so bad that I actually switched her to MSA simply because her Archery CDs ticked off faster than HI ever did...
    ^-^ cute, cuddly, @Pandabutt ^-^
    jniKqKJ.png
    raighn said:

yea, that makes sense... I guess looking back on it, my Munitions character with KI does have better energy efficency than my MA characters with Steadfast... but only slightly... and of course, my Archery character's energy return with HI was so bad that I actually switched her to MSA simply because her Archery CDs ticked off faster than HI ever did...

Yeah, when I dabbled in archery, I found it amazingly bad that MSA was better suited for the framework than its native EU. They could probably fix it by giving Hunter's Instinct an over-time mechanic like modern EUs.
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    I dunno, I think cross-set synergies are okay. I guess that's just me :smile: