test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Fire and ice build?

Ok so basically the ability rimfire really sold me after trying some stuff out, this is what I want to mix ice with, im not sure how im going to make a concept out of it though because it still looks pretty close to fire. I dont think ill be gimping myself with these two together though atleast it doesnt look that way.

If anyone could help give me the gest as how to synergize these to together id greatly appreciate it.

I havent tried allot of fire abilities but for the most part they all seemed cool, however on ice im not very fond of some of the looks like from shatter, frost blast, and I have mixed feelings about frost breath and spear, they seem ok and ill play with them if need be.

Also is rimfire the only ability that does both? Maybe I missed it? Im guessing there are a few ways you can do fire and ice though.

Thanks everyone!

Comments

• flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,740 Arc User
    Rimefire is the only attack to mix Fire and Cold dmg into one, yes. That said, Ice Spear can proc CF w/ its 1-pt adv, and if you wanted to mix Fire and Ice w/ Rimefire then I'd prob go w/ that route.

Since Ice Spear is single-target and doesn't proc Chill or CF consistently, that'd leave AoE and other supporting powers open. You have two basic approaches there: go w/ Icy Embrace and Ice/Chill stacking attacks, or go w/ TReverb and use at least one thing that can reliably put up CF (for Fire, that's Flashfire). Both EU's scale off End.

So, aside from maybe Ice Spear (w/ CF adv) and Rimefire, what type of extra Ice vs. Fire mix do you want?
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • xoriandruidxoriandruid Posts: 311 Arc User
    flowcyto said:

Rimefire is the only attack to mix Fire and Cold dmg into one, yes. That said, Ice Spear can proc CF w/ its 1-pt adv, and if you wanted to mix Fire and Ice w/ Rimefire then I'd prob go w/ that route.

Since Ice Spear is single-target and doesn't proc Chill or CF consistently, that'd leave AoE and other supporting powers open. You have two basic approaches there: go w/ Icy Embrace and Ice/Chill stacking attacks, or go w/ TReverb and use at least one thing that can reliably put up CF (for Fire, that's Flashfire). Both EU's scale off End.

So, aside from maybe Ice Spear (w/ CF adv) and Rimefire, what type of extra Ice vs. Fire mix do you want?

Probably frost blast, maybe one or two other ice powers like ice cage, shield. As far fire im interested in most didnt really see any I was not interested in.
    Well, you have to narrow it down, cause ya can't get everything between the 2 powersets.

Do you want to rely more on Chill or more on Clinging Flames?
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    flowcyto said:

Well, you have to narrow it down, cause ya can't get everything between the 2 powersets.

Narrow it down to what exactly? I never said anything about getting them all, I wasnt even looking for a build I just wanted to figure out how they synergize. I already stated I didnt have a prefrence for the fire abilities but nevermind ill figure out.

flowcyto said:

Narrow it down to what exactly? I never said anything about getting them all, I wasnt even looking for a build I just wanted to figure out how they synergize. I already stated I didnt have a prefrence for the fire abilities but nevermind ill figure out.
    You didn't answer my last question before getting defensive- I want more details if ur seeking more info than what I already provided. And I already gave info of how they can synergize, so I'm not sure what else you're looking for here.
    edited September 2016
    flowcyto said:

flowcyto said:

You didn't answer my last question before getting defensive- I want more details if ur seeking more info than what I already provided. And I already gave info of how they can synergize, so I'm not sure what else you're looking for here.
    I actually didnt get defensive im telling you ill figure it out its that simple. And you explained a few powers but I still dont understand all the combinations yet anyways im not saying that part didnt help.
    edited September 2016
    Okay if you want to just figure it out, but still- to help me help you- do you want to rely more on CF w/ TReverb, or more on Icy Embrace w/ Chill? There's too many ways to mix the powers for me to really give much info w/o some more details.
    edited September 2016
    flowcyto said:

Okay if you want to just figure it out, but still- to help me help you- do you want to rely more on CF w/ TReverb, or more on Icy Embrace w/ Chill? There's too many ways to mix the powers for me to really give much info w/o some more details.

Yea I went deeper into the search bar to find this out myself so my apologies, essentially I do want some shatter mechanics involved I really enjoy getting those crits in to, im not really worried about chill alone to be honest, the fire powers seem more interesting to me for the most part beyond ice blast, ice spear, and ice barrier. Im interested in quite a few fire ones like snake, fire shield and the one where you snap your fingers lol I forget the name though, so probably better for the t reverb.

If you want you can show a build but I think I have an idea what your going to show me since I saw one of your more recent rimfire post builds.

Thank you by the way.
    Post edited by xoriandruid on
    edited September 2016
    Well, when you say 'shatter mechanics'. I'm not quite sure what you mean, as you said you didn't want to use the power named Shatter in Ice (or at least that you didn't like its look). To use Shatter fully you'd have to go pretty deep into Ice anyways, so if ur leaning more towards Fire then that's prob not a good option.

Ur build could include Ice Blast w/ Hard Frost, Ice Spear w/ adv, Ice Barrier, and Icy Form (for Cold Snap) for Ice, and the rest as Fire (including Rimefire). Something like this maybe:

PowerHouse (Link to this build)

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Ego (Primary)
    Level 10: Constitution (Secondary)
    Level 15: Endurance (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 1: The Void
    Level 6: Ascetic
    Level 9: Boundless Reserves
    Level 12: Daredevil
    Level 15: Quick Recovery
    Level 18: Wordly
    Level 21: Amazing Stamina

Powers:
    Level 1: Throw Fire
    Level 1: Ice Blast (Hard Frost, Frost Bite)
    Level 6: Ice Form (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 8: Concentration
    Level 11: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 14: Thermal Reverberation
    Level 17: Pyre (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 20: Flashfire (Sweltering Heat)
    Level 23: Icicle Spear (Rank 2, Rank 3, Freezer Burn)
    Level 26: Ice Barrier (Rank 2, Frigid Freedom)
    Level 29: Resurgence (Rank 2)
    Level 32: Fire Shield
    Level 35: Rimefire Burst (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 38: Ego Surge (Nimble Mind)

Travel Powers:
    Level 6:
    Level 35:

Specializations:
    Ego: Force of Will (2/2)
    Ego: Insight (3/3)
    Ego: Follow Through (3/3)
    Ego: Sixth Sense (2/3)
    Guardian: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Guardian: Ruthless (2/2)
    Guardian: Find the Mark (2/3)
    Guardian: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (2/3)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (3/3)
    Mastery: Ego Mastery (1/1)

Going the pure dps route here. Pyre and flashfire for AoE, Flashfire (and/or full charges of Pyre) to keep TReverb running by keeping CF up, Ice Blast for Hard Frost's debuff and to refresh Chill, and Ice Spear for single-target. Rimefire for when ya have both CF and Chill up and want some extra burst dps from it. Could get the Backdraft adv on Pyre if ya want some AoE CC, though that means lowering its dps. This build gears mostly for Ego and Con.

Hope that gave ya some ideas, at least.