test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Darth Kaas - Sith Sorceror

new build time! this time a fairly self-explanatory one utilizing both the laser sword sub-powerset as well as AoPM for massive stat bonuses across the board

not really sure how well all these various powers will play together, especially with using concentration but as i don't know of any other form that's usable with a hybrid melee/ranged build...but i do have one of the only two universal energy unlocks in the game, so hopefully this will all work out with little issue

PowerHouse (Link to this build)

Name: Darth Kaas

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
Level 6: Intelligence (Primary)
Level 10: Constitution (Secondary)
Level 15: Presence (Secondary)

Talents:
Level 1: Arcanus
Level 6: Intimidating
Level 9: Acrobat
Level 12: Shrug It Off
Level 15: Quick Recovery
Level 18: Boundless Reserves
Level 21: Prodigy

Powers:
Level 1: Laser Edge
Level 1: Laser Sword (Rank 2, Rank 3) "These weapons are not playthings. A lightsaber is a dangerous and destructive instrument, a powerful blade that can strike down an opponent—or a friend, if you're not careful." ―Luke Skywalker
Level 6: Overdrive
Level 8: Aura of Primal Majesty (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 11: Force Eruption (Rank 2, Rank 3) "The power of energy over matter…and mind over both." ―Luke Skywalker
Level 14: Lifedrain (Rank 2, Rank 3) "It is a technique that is almost as old as the Sith themselves…it is a means of severing connections between life, the Force, and feeding upon the death it causes. It cannot be taught…it can only be gained through instinct, through experiencing its effects, first-hand." ―Kreia
Level 17: Ego Choke (Rank 2, Rank 3) "I find your lack of faith disturbing." ―Darth Vader
Level 20: Concentration
Level 23: Ego Surge (Nimble Mind)
Level 26: Masterful Dodge
Level 29: Lightning Arc (Rank 2, Rank 3) "Power! Unlimited power!" ―Darth Sidious
Level 32: Force Shield (Rank 2, Rank 3, Force Sheathe) "Much to learn you still have." ―Yoda
Level 35: Rebirth "Rise, sisters. Undead sisters, rise from your sleep. The time has come. Awaken. You have been called upon." ―Old Daka
Level 38: Endbringer's Grasp (Rank 2, Rank 3) "The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded." ―Obi-Wan Kenobi

Travel Powers:
Level 6: Acrobatics (Rank 2)
Level 35:

Specializations:
Intelligence: Enlightened (3/3)
Intelligence: Tactician (2/2)
Intelligence: Detect Vulnerability (3/3)
Intelligence: Expertise (2/2)
Warden: Fortified Gear (1/3)
Warden: Ruthless (2/2)
Warden: Elusive (2/2)
Warden: Reactive Strikes (2/2)
Warden: The Best Defense (3/3)
Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3)
Vindicator: Mass Destruction (2/3)
Mastery: Vindicator Mastery (1/1)​​
#LegalizeAwoo

Comments

• flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,740 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    Overdrive prob isn't going to work as well here if ur spamming Laser Sword's combo mostly. It will help when using LArc and Lifedrian, but then you also lack Negative Ions to make LArc deal 20% more dps. MSA may still be an easier fit here if ya get into the habit of throwing a short-cd power in there (like Geyser). Concentration also won't proc off the LS combo since its melee.

Unfortunately, Ego Choke isn't too practical of a power in-game generally, but taking its special adv can at least allow it to also debuff enemy dmg a bit while you take out time to channel a low-dps incapacitate.

If ur spamming the LS combo enough, then I'd prob get Warden Mastery. Int Mastery, while never amazing, works pretty well w/ INT PSS and AoPM too.

Pres SS w/ AoPM is prob a bit wasteful, since AoPM will soft-cap Pres's bonus heal at 70 anyways. Past that point, its more for the ally benefit of AoPM (if that matters to you as a Hybrid- still won't boost allies anywhere near a Pres-Support's AoPM).

Ultimately it kinda just comes down to how ya plan on playing this. If mostly using the ranged attacks and maintains, then it overall can work as is w/ some tweaks, but if wanting to also use Laser Sword regualrly then you may want to make some more drastic changes. The build also lacks a spammable AoE attack atm.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • isn't force eruption spammable? i originally had energy wave there, but since i'm building a force-user, i wanted to have at least ONE power from the actual force powerset

and the presence SS is there mainly to squeeze as much presence out of the character as i can possibly get, which translates to even more other stats - at least as how i understand AoPM works

as for ego choke, well...unless you can suggest another force choke-like power, it'll have to do​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
    edited September 2016
    Ah, I missed Eruption being in there. That could do alright as the main AoE, though its a bit weak and requires ya getting close up (and can scatter mobs if charged).

The Pres-only scaling for slotted auras like AoPM is only true for the ally portion of the aura. The self-portion is instead boosted by ur 3 SS's like any other passive.

I'll assume this will be a mostly ranged build, so Laser Sword is mostly just there for show or if ya get bored w/ the ranged powers (cause what's a sith_jedi w/o a light saber?).
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    Here's an edit of it, assuming mostly ranged in playstyle:

Super Stats:
    Level 15: Dexterity (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 1: The Glacier
    Level 6: Covert Ops Training
    Level 9: Healthy Mind
    Level 12: Acrobat
    Level 15: Coordinated
    Level 21: Investigator

Powers:
    Level 1: Power Bolts
    Level 1: Laser Sword (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 6: Concentration
    Level 11: Lightning Arc (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 14: Molecular Self-Assembly
    Level 17: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 20: Thunderstrike (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 23: Resurgence (Rank 2)
    Level 26: Gigabolt (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 29: Force Geyser (Nailed to the Ground)
    Level 32: Force Shield (Force Sheathe)
    Level 35: Ego Choke (Garroting Grip)
    Level 38: Ego Surge (Nimble Mind)

Travel Powers:
    Level 6:
    Level 35:

Specializations:
    Intelligence: Preparation (2/2)
    Guardian: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Guardian: Ruthless (2/2)
    Guardian: Find the Mark (2/3)
    Guardian: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Mastery: Intelligence Mastery (1/1)

Geyser can be ur Force attack, and it can be used for MSA, CC, and/or to ground flying opponents- and ya also have Force Shield as the block. Choke is there mostly for theme/show, though it has some minor utility. Ur main offense here is Electricity: TStrike + LArc, and Gigabolt.

TStrike, Choke, Conviction, and Geyser can all proc MSA. So ya got some options here. Gears mostly for Int and Con.
  • huh, i thought AoPM worked purely off presence...well, there goes my idea of stacking the hell out of presence and getting massive stat boosts

as for the power changes...that's sacrificing way too much from the feeling of a sith for the sake of game meta; i would only use conviction if i were making a jedi, as it's analogous to force heal, and while the sith love lightning (especially in TOR), 3 abilities based on it is too much; either TStrike or GB, but not both, and if i need another source of NI that badly, there are devices that can proc it

i also flatly refuse to give up force corrupt (aka endbringer's grasp) or rebirth - the utility of having a self-rez in a game whose devs keep screwing over other forms of self-rez with every new patch is too valuable to not have​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
    *shrug* I thought my build edit was pretty good :p But hey if ya dun want it for mostly theme reasons, then that's fine. I'm not sure what sort of feedback you're looking for now, though.
  • i was mainly hoping you'd know of a form that can be used with both melee and ranged AND would be stacked by every attack in the build - but it seems like concentration is the best i can do until something like that is released, even if it won't stack or refresh with laser sword uses

also, i'd kill for another power slot or 2...too many powers i want to use and not enough slots given during leveling to use them

anyway, i made minor edits

Name: Darth Kaas

Super Stats:
    Level 15: Dexterity (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 1: The Master
    Level 6: Brilliant
    Level 9: Acrobat
    Level 12: Shrug It Off
    Level 15: Quick Recovery
    Level 21: Prodigy

Powers:
    Level 1: Laser Edge
    Level 1: Laser Sword (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 6: Overdrive
    Level 11: Force Eruption (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 14: Lifedrain (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 17: Ego Choke (Garroting Grip)
    Level 20: Concentration
    Level 23: Ego Surge (Nimble Mind)
    Level 26: Thunderstrike (Rank 2)
    Level 29: Lightning Arc (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 32: Force Shield (Rank 2, Rank 3, Force Sheathe)
    Level 35: Rebirth
    Level 38: Endbringer's Grasp (Rank 2, Rank 3)

Travel Powers:
    Level 6: Acrobatics (Rank 2)
    Level 35:

Specializations:
    Intelligence: Tactician (2/2)
    Warden: Fortified Gear (1/3)
    Warden: Ruthless (2/2)
    Warden: Elusive (2/2)
    Warden: Reactive Strikes (2/2)
    Warden: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Mastery: Vindicator Mastery (1/1)

i decided to keep warden because of reactive strikes looking to be champs version of lightsaber blaster bolt deflection even though i'll likely be using more ranged abilities than the lone two melee ones​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
    Well, AotMachine gives an equal melee and ranged bonus, but as you prob know it only procs off of killing blows, and doesn't return energy innately. Otherwise.. yeah, FotT is the most 'universal' dps toggle, though ofc it boosts melee powers more and requires a Dex-focus.

Warden is fine even for ranged builds, due to Elusive being good vs. many things defensively. It will be less dps than Guardian w/ Find the Mark, though. Reactive Strikes is kinda questionable for non-tanks, imo, unless ur mostly doing solo stuff. Provided a tank is running w/ you and controlling aggro, most of any dmg you'd take is gonna be from AoE attacks.

The build looks a bit more cohesive now, imo. Should be okay as long as its playing Ranged w/ the maintains mostly. I'm still wondering if it'll be better served w/ MSA over OD, though, and that will also depend on the playstyle a bit.
  • aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    I'd personally consider MSA over Overdrive unless you just don't plan on using your "light saber" much at all. Laser Sword is a very hungry power that has no interaction with Overdrive, so you'll pretty much be a ranged lightning spammer (to keep Overdrive rolling) or you'll be leaning on your energy builder after every few laser sword swings. It's worth noting that Overdrive's tooltip is incorrect: It actually scales primarily with your recovery, but also with your intelligence to a lesser degree. (Instead of the other way around) MSA, on the other hand, favors Intelligence primarily so you'll get more from it.

At the very least, I'd consder swapping the following powers:

Force Eruption -> Force Geyser: Force Geyser is one of the few non-gapcloser powers with an extremely short 3 sec cooldown. Such powers are perfect for using with MSA.

Overdrive -> Molecular Self-Assembly: As already mentioned, you'd get more out of it, and when used along with Force Geyser, you'll have energy rolling in mere seconds after using it.

As for Concentration? Yuck, but this game really doesn't have crap for people who want to hybridize ranged + melee. I normally use Compassion for these types of builds, but I understand how that wouldn't fit a sith lord theme very well. In general, the Laser Sword micro-set suffers from the lack of a proper form, so they typically lean on Form of the Tempest.

It mainly depends on what you want to be though: a light saber wielder or a lightning shooter. :D
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • yeah, you know the problem with taking MSA as an energy unlock...it's impossible to take at level 8 with laser sword as your initial power, since LS is power armor and MSA is gadgeteering

i ended up having to take concentration at 8 so i could grab MSA at 11 when it became a valid choice​​
    #LegalizeAwoo