test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Schrodinger - Scientist Supporter

legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Posts: 1,569 Arc User
edited September 2016 in Builds and Roles
so, with another double XP event upon us, i find myself turning to yet another character concept, this one wanting to be a scientist-type hero based around the use of the medical nanites passive since it was altered a while back to not be sucky, energy-based weapons and orbital strike for the ultimate (which does still suck, but then so does ARCHIMEDES II in fallout new vegas...they still both look awesome)

problem is...i know almost nothing about gadgeteering powers of that subtype, so i need to know what out of this following list is actually useful for such a build concept before i can craft the build:

Experimental Blaster
Pulse Beam Rifle
Particle Mine
Experimental Burst Ray
Bionic Shielding
Medical Nanites
Nanobot Swarm
Tractor Beam
Toxic Nanites
Miniaturization Drive
Munitions Bots
Support Drones​​
#LegalizeAwoo
Post edited by legendarylycan#5411 on

Comments

• flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    An Inventor, but refined, I suppose..

The Med Nanites buff is good, though Tech still lacks good normal healing powers. Tired of outsourcing to magic sets for reliable ally heals :/

An example using some of those powers:

PowerHouse (Link to this build)

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Presence (Primary)
    Level 10: Constitution (Secondary)
    Level 15: Intelligence (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 1: The Inventor
    Level 6: Shrug It Off
    Level 9: Healthy Mind
    Level 12: Diplomatic
    Level 15: Acrobat
    Level 18: Finesse
    Level 21: Coordinated

Powers:
    Level 1: Sonic Blaster
    Level 1: Pulse Beam Rifle (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 6: Medical Nanites (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 8: Compassion
    Level 11: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 14: Molecular Self-Assembly
    Level 17: Sonic Boom Generator (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 20: Arcane Vitality (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 23: Binding Shot (Nailed to the Ground)
    Level 26: Bionic Shielding (Rank 2)
    Level 29: Resurrection Serum (Rank 2)
    Level 32: Support Drones (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35: Rebirth
    Level 38: Miniaturization Drive (Rank 2, Rank 3)

Travel Powers:
    Level 6:
    Level 35:

Specializations:
    Presence: Repurpose (3/3)
    Presence: Selfless Ally (2/2)
    Presence: Moment of Glory (1/3)
    Presence: Force of Will (2/2)
    Presence: Vulnerability (2/2)
    Sentinel: Caregiver (3/3)
    Sentinel: Sentinel Aura (3/3)
    Sentinel: Moment of Need (1/3)
    Sentinel: Wither (2/2)
    Sentinel: Genesis (1/2)
    Overseer: Administer (3/3)
    Overseer: Ruthless (2/2)
    Overseer: Honor (2/2)
    Overseer: Trapped (3/3)
    Mastery: Sentinel Mastery (1/1)

Uses Binding Shot taps to proc all the spec debuffs (Vuln, Wither, Trapped, and Sent Mastery). Gears mostly for Pres and Con.

Iniquity is ur main long-range filler heal that ya prob still want here, since the drones aren't fully controlled, the heal auras are just passive ticks, and Bionic Shielding has a cd per target and only procs on dmg taken.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • i want a pure SCIENCE! type character; that means no magic or low-tech powers (which is what binding shot is)

i also don't see orbital cannon in there despite my saying i'm gonna be using that as my ultimate

and i probably should've mentioned in the initial post that contrary to what it might appear with my using medical nanites, this is NOT going to be a healer, but more of a hybrid, providing background healing and resist via MN but also wreaking havoc upon enemy forces through judicious use of SCIENCE! and hot particle death hell - i cannot stand healing in games where it ISN'T a royal pain to target other players; if the healing is fire-and-forget like MN, that's fine, but anything i have to physically target another player to use is a no-go

and what about these powers - what are the advantages and disadvantages of them?

Experimental Blaster
    Particle Mine
    Experimental Burst Ray
    Nanobot Swarm
    Tractor Beam
    Toxic Nanites
    Munitions Bots​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
    Well, I didn't see Orbital Cannon in the list, and you already said the power 'sucks' to you. So I just figured I'd ignore it :p
    Also, I dunno the details 'low-tech' here for you- at least in terms of CO that seems a bit arbitrary.

Bionic Shielding also requires targeting to work. I mean, you won't likely be able to replace a healer w/o having targeted heals. But if ya just wanted a dps hybrid w/ some passive support then I'll change the backbone of the build a bit:

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Intelligence (Primary)
    Level 15: Presence (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 6: Healthy Mind
    Level 9: Shrug It Off
    Level 15: Quick Recovery
    Level 18: Negotiator
    Level 21: Lasting Impression

Powers:
    Level 1: Sonic Blaster
    Level 1: Pulse Beam Rifle (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 8: Concentration
    Level 17: Experimental Burst Ray (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 20: Orbital Cannon (Rank 2, Anvil of Dawn)
    Level 23: Support Drones (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 26: Miniaturization Drive (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 29: Ego Surge (Nimble Mind)
    Level 32: Energy Shield (Rank 2)
    Level 38: Resurrection Serum (Rank 2)

Travel Powers:
    Level 6:
    Level 35:

Specializations:
    Intelligence: Enlightened (3/3)
    Intelligence: Tactician (2/2)
    Intelligence: Detect Vulnerability (3/3)
    Intelligence: Expertise (2/2)
    Guardian: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Guardian: Ruthless (2/2)
    Guardian: Find the Mark (2/3)
    Guardian: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (2/3)
    Mastery: Intelligence Mastery (1/1)

Overseer can also work as one of the specs, as Med Nanites healing allies can proc Honor. Its lower defense/offense that way (vs. Guardicator), but more bonus healing and Honor + Impact.

Since this version is a Hybrid w/ Conc, its gear focus is now more on Int than Pres (Pres still SS'd for the bonus heal and Med Nanite's heal aura on allies; Dex SS would be a more dps-oriented choice).

Any of the latter powers could be changed, though it'll be a trade-off of sorts.
    -
    ... and what about these powers - what are the advantages and disadvantages of them?
    A quick run-down:
    - Particle Mine is kinda meh. The KB adv is fun, but also can annoy teammates as it disrupts trash groups, and it requires getting up close and some arming time.
    - Exp Burst Ray would be decent.. if its cone wasn't a strict 30 degrees. A 50ft 30-d cone doesn't have great AoE coverage, though you can still make it work. I went w/ Sonic Boom Gen before cause its a 15ft sphere AoE, and those tend to be a bit easier to AoE with.
    - Nanobot Swarm is alright, though only really when combined w/ a decent array of cd powers.
    - Tractor Beam is pretty bad for PvE, imo, though it has some comedy factor w/ the pull-in + KB adv.
    - Toxic Nanites is okay.. mainly just a DoT to add-on dps, though its not as good w/ the CDR nerf lowering its uptime.
    - Muni Bots are pretty low base dps and come w/ an energy penalty, so outside of a pet build I wouldn't really bother. For pet builds, they are a decent 'cheap-adv' pet choice since they are also ranged and can don't gain much from being ranked up.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    and what about experimental blaster? that's the one with the teddification adv, isn't it?

and why sonic blaster as the EB over particle rifle? i wouldn't think there'd be that much of a difference between them, especially since EBs are never ranked or advantaged​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
    I usually don't pay much attention to the specific end builder taken, and look more into what sort of immediate powers I want unlocked- so I prob just didn't care here :p But sure, pickup Particle Rifle as the EB if ya want- shouldn't really matter much either way.

And yeah, Exp Blaster is the teddy-ing one. W/ R3 + Death Ray its pretty good dps when tap-spammed, but I'd chose between it or Pulse Beam Rifle, as they both fill a similar role here.
  • and regarding nanobot swarm only being useful when having a decent number of CD powers...i can see conviction, orbital cannon, ego surge, rebirth and resurrection serum for certain, and possibly mini drive and support drones (i don't know if either of those have CDs or not) so would all that qualify as 'decent'?​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,429 Arc User
    Nanobot swarm has a pretty long cool down of its own, so mostly useful with powers that also have long cool downs. E.g. AOs, ADs, Ultimates.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
    ^ yea pretty much. Here its kinda debatable if Nanobot Swarm is worth it- I wouldn't put it on a very high priority, though. Also, the drones aren't cd based. You will ave to re-cast them if they die, though.
  • well, here's what i got for a first draft; i decided to go with the experimental blaster because 'death ray' just sounds awesome...plus, it was the only one i could select at start

Name: Schrodinger

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Intelligence (Primary)
    Level 15: Presence (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 6: Healthy Mind
    Level 9: Shrug It Off
    Level 15: Quick Recovery
    Level 18: Negotiator
    Level 21: Prodigy

Powers:
    Level 1: Particle Rifle
    Level 1: Experimental Blaster (Rank 2, Rank 3, Death Ray)
    Level 8: Concentration
    Level 17: Experimental Burst Ray (Rank 2, Arcturus Cooling System)
    Level 20: Orbital Cannon (Rank 2, Anvil of Dawn)
    Level 23: Support Drones (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 26: Miniaturization Drive (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 29: Ego Surge (Nimble Mind)
    Level 32: Energy Shield (Rank 2)
    Level 38: Resurrection Serum (Rank 2)

Travel Powers:
    Level 6: Hover Disk (Rank 2)
    Level 35:

Specializations:
    Intelligence: Enlightened (3/3)
    Intelligence: Tactician (2/2)
    Intelligence: Detect Vulnerability (3/3)
    Intelligence: Expertise (2/2)
    Guardian: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Guardian: Ruthless (2/2)
    Guardian: Find the Mark (2/3)
    Guardian: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (2/3)
    Mastery: Intelligence Mastery (1/1)

what stats am i gonna be gearing for at 40 on what type of primary and secondary gear? keeping in mind the best i'm likely to ever get of secondary is AH stuff since they fucked up OSV and cosmic and equivalent is way beyond my reach

also, what kind of power rotation should i be looking at for trash, trash with tougher or hardened targets in it and bosses?​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
    You can re-train into T1 powers like PBR once ya hit the first PH in-game, if ya want them as ur 2nd power (after the end builder).

I'd gear mostly for Int and Con here, also getting crit and/or severity on offensive gear. Up to you if ya wanna mod for more bonus heal (vs. more dps). Defense and/or maxHP on defensive gear, and mostly cd reduction on utility gear.

Vs. trash, ya can open w/ Orbital Strike on one of the targets near the middle of a pack of mobs from afar (to net the msot targets in its initial blast), after some delay you can start charging Exp Burst Ray, and let it loose from 40-50ft as the orbital strike drops. Then I'd funnel mobs into Burst Ray's small cone by kiting back rushing mobs a bit. Can also throw Mini Drive on there beforehand to shrink mobs. If ur impatient, or ur team is rushing, then ya may skip Orbital Cannon and just proceed w/ the Burst Ray spam.

Vs single-target fights, you can keep MSA going w/ Conviction, Mini Drive, and/or Orbital strike, and otherwise tap-spam Exp Blaster as filler (if an enemy is in ur face, then half-charge it for Conc stacks).
  • riveroceanriverocean Posts: 1,690 Arc User
    I've built a few tech themed healers and personally my favorite combo of stats is EGO, CON, PRE. Geared for DEX/END/REC + Crit chance in the secondaries. With high crit chance your heals and dps are both greatly improved. With enough pre + crit conviction crits pretty highly. Also, your crit chance and severity effects the healing drones - or at least it appeared to in my case.

Of all the stat choices for a hybrid support --- that was my favorite. Its' even better in support mode as any energy issues vanish... and the dps hit is hardly noticeable thanks to all the criticals.
    Questions About AT Play? Visit Silverwolfx11's Updated AT Guides!
  • dakrushmordakrushmor Posts: 592 Arc User
    Letz wait until Christmas - maybe near it or Nighthawk event real techno-theme healing beam will appear, along with couple energy weapon maintaine, like it was just done with magic theme.