test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Some random tool got a Gold Foil Series A Costume Voucher from the Collectors Lockbox!

nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
Ok I am in my hideout with chat off and that kinda stuff STILL turns up on my screen. I aint in zone. I am in my hideout. Something I PAID for to escape spam in zone U_U

And you guys begin the spamming urselfs. GG Cryptic and cut it out :O
nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!

Comments

• aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    It's really not a big deal, plus it's mean to call people "random tools" like that when they haven't done anything wrong. Displaying reward announcements is a smart business move for Cryptic, since it constantly reminds players about the kinds of goodies they can get if they throw some money at a lockbox.
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    Yeah, it's called the launcher and it says all that there, you silly socket wrench.
  • beezeezebeezeeze Posts: 927 Arc User
    I barely notice them anymore... would be nice to have a feature to turn them off but oh well.

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    you can... It's part of the [System] Chat channel.

Disabling [System] is a bad idea, so the other option is to move the UI element for them I usually stick it on the edge of the screen where it's not in the way.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    aesica said:

It's really not a big deal, plus it's mean to call people "random tools" like that when they haven't done anything wrong. Displaying reward announcements is a smart business move for Cryptic, since it constantly reminds players about the kinds of goodies they can get if they throw some money at a lockbox.

Right. You've gone and did it. You have surpassed the mighty Shev. Your actually defending lockbox spam.

If you gamble or take part in gamble type activities your are a tool. With me there is no middle ground.

If I am in my hideout I don't want to hear it -_-"

you can... It's part of the [System] Chat channel.

Disabling [System] is a bad idea, so the other option is to move the UI element for them I usually stick it on the edge of the screen where it's not in the way.

Well that just makes it worse.

Thanks for the info anyway ^__^

They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    nepht said:

Right. You've gone and did it. You have surpassed the mighty Shev. Your actually defending lockbox spam.

If you gamble or take part in gamble type activities your are a tool. With me there is no middle ground.

If I am in my hideout I don't want to hear it -_-"

I have no clue who Shev is, and I only "defend" it because I understand why Cryptic does it. It's really not a big deal and there are certainly far more annoying things in CO than showing who got what out of a lockbox.

Anyway, the reason lockboxes exist in just about every F2P game is because they're big moneymakers. You may not like them and you're free to look down with contempt upon those who do all you like, but at the end of the day, know that those "tools" are contributing a sizable amount of money to support the game you play.

Clarification: I personally don't care for lockboxes or RNG-based rewards in general, but I can live with spam from them if it encourages people with disposable income to continue supporting the games I enjoy.
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    Nepht is drunk, take her with a grain of salt. :D
    biffsig.jpg
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User

Nepht is drunk, take her with a grain of salt. :D

Drunk, yes. But the Shev analogy was spot on.

zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
    Was Shev drunk too? :p
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • xacchaeusxacchaeus Posts: 308 Arc User
    i think this really isnt a feature, considering how rarely i see them... i think a) people arent opening boxes or b) the drop rate is abysmal
    nepht said:

Well, look at it this way. Do you like the game up and running or do you want it to be shut down? Lockboxes probably make more money than subscriptions. (And we all know how many people subscribed to the game... remember the ghost town the game was before free-to-play?) Heck, they are probably the largest chunk of profit for the game, hands down. A little message flying up in the screen is annoying, but they do drive lockbox sales. Nobody at Cryptic or wherever is sitting around thinking "What can we do to annoy the players?" It's more like "What can we do to increase our profit so that we can a) keep the game alive and b) afford to pay people to make stuff for this game?" If a little annoying message is helping in some way to keep the game alive, then I'm all for it. I'll wear that Shev badge loud and proud! :D
    xacchaeus said:

i think this really isnt a feature, considering how rarely i see them... i think a) people arent opening boxes or b) the drop rate is abysmal

I see them all the time.

biffsig.jpg
  • beezeezebeezeeze Posts: 927 Arc User
    yeah even though I said I barely notice them, I do notice the yellow flashing text pretty regularly when I'm playing, I just manage to tune it out and don't usually read it.. can't tell you for sure how many I see per hour or whatever on a regular basis...but I know I see 2 or 3 at least every time I log in and play.

I'd guess... dozens every time I play. I tune them out so thoroughly it's little more than BG chatter.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    The only time it really annoys me is when I'm doing cosmics, and chat gets wiped out so quickly that only a few lines can exist in the chat box at a time. When that pops up, I'm like "I don't care! I just wanna know who's saying what!"
    biffsig.jpg
    aesica said:

I have no clue who Shev is .

That was part of the point >:D

• chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    Been playing STO evening s this week. ONe person has been opening boxes all week, keep seeing the same name and handle come up.
    NO , turning off system chat , doesn't get rid of it.

Shev was the precursor to the Gingers. More coherant, despite using a second or third language to write in. Did long... unusual rants on the forums.​​
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    chaelk said:

Shev was the precursor to the Gingers. More coherant, despite using a second or third language to write in. Did long... unusual rants on the forums.​​

I don't know who the Gingers is/are, either. :(
    edited August 2016
    aesica said:

chaelk said:

I don't know who the Gingers is/are, either. :(
    As I reckon I might have been a smudge mean to you ( No one deserves to be called Shev...she did defend boxes of lock when they first came out though :P ) I will educate you in the ways of the League Of Super Gingers.

Female Ginger : Normally with the name Linda is some dude that calls himself Fred.

Tiger Ginger : A fat arsed obnoxious biker in real life ( don't ask how I know this ) that has the games oldest and most annoying level 8 toon. Seriously on same toon since launch never leveled it up ._.

2nd Female Ginger : UNKNOWN could be Fred multi-boxing or some other nutbar >_>

I've seen at least one of them idling around the ren center at times. Master Ginger, or something like that. Only level 6 though, so I figured it was just somebody's RP alt.
  • reiwulfreiwulf Posts: 442 Arc User
    lol I dont even notice them anymore. Im lockbox reward announcement blind, finnaly.
    natesig.jpg

reiwulf said:

lol I dont even notice them anymore. Im lockbox reward announcement blind, finnaly.

I wish I could acquire that immunity :V
    the Gingerlinda's get acct banned regularly.
    The one Nepht refuses to identify is her brother.​​

• draogndraogn Posts: 1,269 Arc User
    chaelk said:

Been playing STO evening s this week. ONe person has been opening boxes all week, keep seeing the same name and handle come up.

NO , turning off system chat , doesn't get rid of it.

You can hide that spam in STO, it would be nice to have that feature here as well.

edited August 2016
    chaelk said:

The one Nepht refuses to identify is her brother.​​

Actually he is the cat one and is my Half brother U__U"

edited August 2016
    nepht wrote: »

The one Nepht refuses to identify is her brother.

Actually he is the cat one and is my Half brother U__U"

well you didn't identify him, only the lindas.
    NOW how do you block the spam in STO?​​

In the chat channel options, where you can see all the channels that show up in your main chat window, I think you uncheck System. Could be wrong but worth the try.
    biffsig.jpg
    there's also a HUD element that displays them. I just move the HUD element. hiding system hides a wide variety of things.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters

there's also a HUD element that displays them. I just move the HUD element. hiding system hides a wide variety of things.

Is there away to remove the Gingers from the hud because they is trolling STO now -_-"

• pwestolemynamepwestolemyname Posts: 978 Arc User
    This is the textbook definition of SPAM. SPAM is bad business. If they think it motivates key buying, they are wrong. SPAM motivates only hate.
    - - - - -
    SIGNATURE:
    Used to be coach on the forums. Still @coach in game.
    nepht wrote: »

Is there away to remove the Gingers from the hud because they is trolling STO now -_-"

normal-1.gifReally? That can only improve zone chat in STO.​​

chaelk said:

Really? That can only improve zone chat in STO.​​

The only way to really improve STO zone chat is to open chat options and uncheck the mark next to "zone" :)
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    nepht said:

For every solution, there is always another problem to complain about.
    edited August 2016
    spinnytop said:

nepht said:

For every solution, there is always another problem to complain about.
    Circle of life and all that.

Now all that baboon needs to do is drop that cat right off the cliff and we golden.
  • This is the textbook definition of SPAM. SPAM is bad business. If they think it motivates key buying, they are wrong. SPAM motivates only hate.

Without spam life is dull and boring. Spam has many nutritional values as well so one should at least consider it.