test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is there any reason event auras bind to individual characters?

violetnychusvioletnychus Posts: 136 Arc User
Seriously, this was quite strange. Usually if developer decisions hurt the interests of the individual customer, you expect a benefit to the game.

If there was a belief this would increase event participation, it's wrong. I certainly purchase the majority of the auras I have on the idea I might use them on a future costume instead of one I already have. Especially if there was not a model of the aura in the game. If it was bind on equip that probably would INCREASE the incentive to obtain the auras as a future commodity after the event.

There is not much economic justification either. The only benefit imaginable would be a few desperate completionists spending drifter salvage to get these on every character, which is a little ridiculous. Not only exploitative, but probably too small a group to justify the development cost or annoy the majority.

I have yet to imagine any reasonable explanation, other than counterproductive philosophies like 'arbitrary annoyances = challenge!'​​​
Post edited by violetnychus on

Comments

• organicmuhyorganicmuhy Posts: 18 Arc User
    I'm just going to post here in support, and I think they should be account bound.
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    The decision was made last year, as events were revamped, that event awards would be character-bound. Why would auras be different?

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • violetnychusvioletnychus Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    The decision was made last year, as events were revamped, that event awards would be character-bound. Why would auras be different?

First, EVERY item the store has is bound to account - power, archetype, vehicle, costume, action.

Not only are the auras the only non-account reward in the entire event but also make no sense as I laid out.​​
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    I can see those Bound on character auras as a Middle Finger to the ALT-enthusiasts
    OH! You want to buy this aura for one of your Future or Underleveled characters? WELL TOO BAD!
    What is this? You dont like the aura you just bought and you want to give to some other character? TOO BAD

Screw this Bound on character

STOP RIGHT THERE!
    Bloodmoon Auras are all still bound on Account
    and IT IS a big deal since auras are part of the character costumization now!​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,428 Arc User
    They still have time to fix this before the event is over. Hopefully they will do the right thing.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • rslvfzgrslvfzg Posts: 49 Arc User
    avianos said:

I can see those Bound on character auras as a Middle Finger to the ALT-enthusiasts

OH! You want to buy this aura for one of your Future or Underleveled characters? WELL TOO BAD!

What is this? You dont like the aura you just bought and you want to give to some other character? TOO BAD

Screw this Bound on character

Exactly THAT is the reason. They don't want players to play different toons. Don't ask me why. But to me at least, it seems like devs are like, "You're playing 2 (or more) different toons? LOL!"
    Regloh@rslvfzg - PARAGON DAWN
    - Dawn Radio -
  • guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    Not much point farming an event if you can't use what you farm for other characters.
  • lilsteffielilsteffie Posts: 598 Arc User
    This is the same issue with other tokens/currencies .. MCPD.. SCR .... Gold recog etc..

The list goes on, and this just deducts away from people wanting to make alts and progress.

Why they made the decision to make them bound only to character is beyond me...
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Handle:@XG3NX

Champions Online.. where we sell lockboxes by the dozen.
  • rtmartma Posts: 1,198 Arc User

Want to get to know me a bit better, Click me and take a read of My Dragon Profile Page, it's a bit dated but still relevant.

I take this quote from a review that I agree with.

"customisation is so linear; everyone is after the optimal dps:survivability ratio with 0 reliance on other players = autonomous gameplay... Players don't need each other anymore... which in my opinion is a bad thing."
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    avianos said:

what's "underleveled"? I did the dailies on a level 12 character yesterday... Well, he started at 12, apparently the horrors and worms are great for xp. He got to 13 just from the kill xp.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • squirrelloidsquirrelloid Posts: 869 Arc User

avianos said:

what's "underleveled"? I did the dailies on a level 12 character yesterday... Well, he started at 12, apparently the horrors and worms are great for xp. He got to 13 just from the kill xp.
    What about characters you haven't even made yet? That you won't think about until next month or 6 months from now?

----------------

All auras should be bind to account. All of them. No exceptions ever.
  • xacchaeusxacchaeus Posts: 308 Arc User
    especially auras that are limited to events...

avianos said:

What about characters you haven't even made yet? That you won't think about until next month or 6 months from now?
    They can get it next time the event runs.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User

Seriously, this was quite strange. Usually if developer decisions hurt the interests of the individual customer, you expect a benefit to the game.

*facepalm* You people are nuts.
    and you are a cheerleader

avianos said:

They can get it next time the event runs.
    In a year? Seriously? :rolleyes:

You don't understand how character customization is supposed to work...
    Ok... and are you going to say the same thing about the event exclusive costume parts you didn't get next year too?
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    All auras should be account bound, not character bound, in my opinion. If we have to put up with this badly conceived idea of an aura system then making them account bound is the least that can be done for the players.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods

avianos said:

----------------

All auras should be bind to account. All of them. No exceptions ever.
    Agreed, 100%
    edited May 2016

Ok... and are you going to say the same thing about the event exclusive costume parts you didn't get next year too?

I can farm those with the characters i have and then use them on the character i make 6 months from now. Just like I can use an account-bound aura i farm on a character i make 6 months from now.

What I can't do is use a character-bound aura on a character i make 6 months from now.

Account-bound auras are entirely equivalent to costume unlocks. (If i don't farm the aura at all, obviously i don't have it either). Character-bound auras are not equivalent in any way that matters.

Here's the thing - I always farm all the costume unlocks. Character-bound auras? I'm not going to bother. Because if i end up using the aura, I'd want to be inspired by it to make a character or outfit, and that doesn't work out when i can't move it to a different character.
  • violetnychusvioletnychus Posts: 136 Arc User
    spinnytop wrote: »

*facepalm* You people are nuts.

What an embarrassing comment. Do you think a company should make random bad decisions which have no benefit for anyone? Do you think a company's decisions should not have any basis in improving a product or generating profit? Trying to figure out reasons that a bizarre mechanic exists you consider nuts apparently?
    rtma wrote: »
    GRIND

Grind is there for increased participation and thus profit. This reduces participation. It absolutely makes no sense.​​
  • seeker1235seeker1235 Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Posting in support of account bound auras.
    Post edited by seeker1235 on
  • chaosdrgnz43chaosdrgnz43 Posts: 1,674 Arc User
    Devs wants us to play the event more.
    mfZ37eB.png
    Feel free to visit my websites!^^:
    DeviantART|FurAffinity|
    Twitter

Devs wants us to play the event more.

Can't play characters I haven't made yet.

Can't get inspired to make a character based on an aura when i can't get the aura ahead of time and pass it.

Before, i farmed all the event auras. Now I'm going to farm none of them. That's playing less, not more.
    If they're account bound I say: "Oh this is something I could use later, I'd better farm it!"

If they're character bound I say: "None of my characters need this, I'll skip it"
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    I will repeat what I said in game about auras today. I find auras annoying and sometimes obnoxious cosmetics that said the skulls unlock account wide I see no real reasons for auras not to be bound to account.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • chaosdrgnz43chaosdrgnz43 Posts: 1,674 Arc User
    I just heard that Bound to Character auras are intended apparently.

I'm starting to hate Nightmare Invasion rewards... (=_=)
    mfZ37eB.png
    Feel free to visit my websites!^^:
    DeviantART|FurAffinity|
    Twitter
    wont bother with worthless character bound auras, so that helps me decide which items to grind for
  • rtmartma Posts: 1,198 Arc User

Grind is there for increased participation and thus profit. This reduces participation. It absolutely makes no sense.​​

Depends on how bad you want it.

Want to get to know me a bit better, Click me and take a read of My Dragon Profile Page, it's a bit dated but still relevant.

I take this quote from a review that I agree with.

"customisation is so linear; everyone is after the optimal dps:survivability ratio with 0 reliance on other players = autonomous gameplay... Players don't need each other anymore... which in my opinion is a bad thing."
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    I agree that it makes event rewards easier to pick from. Won't bother with an aura, since none of my 4 characters farming the event could use any of them.

Of course, some other games have events where most people can't get all the rewards. Guess Cryptic has moved into that realm.

I am still hopeful that Thursday will bring an additional method of earning event currency, as happened with Halloween, Winter, and Foxbatcon events.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    Why is everyone assuming this is an annual event? I find it more likely these "newer" events are going to fulfill the old "rotating events" idea and it'll be back in a couple of months, like the Malvanum Race. And that's why all the restrictions. They want a system you can/have to keep playing rather than "I got all the loot the first time around. Why don't you put more in there?".
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    They've decided that auras aren't of the same format as costumes are. That's been already made apparent considering that Z-store auras aren't account-wide unlocks. It's just part of the business model they've decided on.

So unless auras are made to be account-wide unlocks across the board, then it is what it is.
    Auras aren't account wide unlocks from the z store but they also aren't bind to character either.
  • seeker1235seeker1235 Posts: 64 Arc User
    The Z-store auras are bound to account, jenny, unlike the event auras.
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,589 Arc User
    Its obviously for the crummy reason of keeping players in the game in the laziest form of content possible.​​
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    I want this now
    Why are they so expensive
    I want them all now
    Why can't i use them on any character
    why do I have to do this fight repeatedly to get this
    ----
    let's see, what other complaints ingame was there​​
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    chaelk said:

I want this now

Why are they so expensive

I want them all now

Why can't i use them on any character

why do I have to do this fight repeatedly to get this

----

let's see, what other complaints ingame was there​​

I'm not totally sure what you're trying to say regarding the main topic with that post.

zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User

I'm not totally sure what you're trying to say regarding the main topic with that post.

Whatever it is, they're right.
    edited May 2016
    spinnytop said:

Whatever it is, they're right.
    ....or wrong. Who knows? ;)

It was a sincere question though. Perhaps chaelk could clarify.

zrdRBy8.png
  • mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Posts: 521 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    I wouldn't mind BoE auras.

That way a given character could only use a single aura (so no passing that one aura back and forth between your characters), but it would still allow for flexibility in terms of keeping an aura for a future alt or using a character grinding Elysium tokens to provide for a character that isn't.

Not to mention the potential marketplace opportunities when the event ends and you have some extra auras to sell. :smile:
    yeah, CBoE would seem to be the idea way to do event auras to me :)
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    Who let SATAN be a DEV for CO?​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
    character bound auras are bad, period. m'kay?
  • draogndraogn Posts: 1,269 Arc User
    This sudden shift towards making content alt unfriendly is only going to alienate players.
  • revanantmoriturirevanantmorituri Posts: 391 Arc User
    Why is everyone assuming this is an annual event?

Frankly, I'm not. I have no expectations at present that we'll ever see this event again, and some of the rewards will simply get put in the less accessible stores (Drifter, GCR, etc).​​
    -
    Formerly @Seschat pre PWEmerger. @Seschat on the Titan boards.

Supporter of the Titan Project.
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    draogn said:

This sudden shift towards making content alt unfriendly is only going to alienate players.

I find this to be pretty ironic. You want to grind everything on one character to hand stuff off to your alts. But, the dailies are for level 10+, meaning that any of your alts can actually participate in the content. So you could do some actual alting to get the stuff you want. If you're not quite level ten yet... Well go pop an XP boost and do some quests for half an hour. The auras are easy to get in just a couple days of doing the daily,

Frankly, I'm not. I have no expectations at present that we'll ever see this event again, and some of the rewards will simply get put in the less accessible stores (Drifter, GCR, etc).​​

I'm about 100% sure that this will be an annual or semi-annual event. The rewards are set up that way, much like Foxbatcon, so that you can't just get everything in two days and then have nothing at all to play it again for next time it comes around. You don't know how many times I've heard "That event sucked, finished it in three days then went back to Guild Wars," and the like. With rewards like this, it keeps people online and playing, and interest in hunting colossi high. Imagine if you came in at week 3 of the event, and all the people hunting colossi are done because they got all the costumes and powers and auras and vehicles because they were like 40 coins apiece. Now you have no one to help finish the dailies. That's super bad.

Fact is, if you compare this event to older ones, the older ones had much less rewards at a cheaper price. Is that what you want this event to be? Three skulls, two auras, and a vehicle, and you better be here on the first three days or you're screwed on group content, or would you rather have long-time goals that'll keep the event alive the whole time it's up?

To sum up, people should be less "I want everything now" and more "I can't believe how much stuff we can get in this event."
    biffsig.jpg

draogn said:

I find this to be pretty ironic. You want to grind everything on one character to hand stuff off to your alts. But, the dailies are for level 10+, meaning that any of your alts can actually participate in the content. So you could do some actual alting to get the stuff you want. If you're not quite level ten yet... Well go pop an XP boost and do some quests for half an hour. The auras are easy to get in just a couple days of doing the daily,

I'm about 100% sure that this will be an annual or semi-annual event. The rewards are set up that way, much like Foxbatcon, so that you can't just get everything in two days and then have nothing at all to play it again for next time it comes around. You don't know how many times I've heard "That event sucked, finished it in three days then went back to Guild Wars," and the like. With rewards like this, it keeps people online and playing, and interest in hunting colossi high. Imagine if you came in at week 3 of the event, and all the people hunting colossi are done because they got all the costumes and powers and auras and vehicles because they were like 40 coins apiece. Now you have no one to help finish the dailies. That's super bad.

Fact is, if you compare this event to older ones, the older ones had much less rewards at a cheaper price. Is that what you want this event to be? Three skulls, two auras, and a vehicle, and you better be here on the first three days or you're screwed on group content, or would you rather have long-time goals that'll keep the event alive the whole time it's up?

To sum up, people should be less "I want everything now" and more "I can't believe how much stuff we can get in this event."
    If the stuff wasn't BoP, players who wanted to could keep farming the event to sell items to other players, and players who didn't want to play the event could buy them from those players. You know, how a game economy is supposed to work.

Bind on pickup is the reason people can declare they are done with an event, and its an abomination in any and every multiplayer game.
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    It still means more people getting their rewards faster, which means a shorter lifespan for the event.

Well, anyway, we're starting to argue points that we can't possibly know (it's bad for multiplayer games), so I'm done with that. But I think the rewards were put together like this either as a test, to see if it keeps people playing and interested (which to me, it looks like it has) or because of data gathered from older events. Who knows? I don't have a problem with it.
    biffsig.jpg
    edited June 2016

It still means more people getting their rewards faster, which means a shorter lifespan for the event.

Someone still has to earn the rewards. For K total coins worth of items to be purchased, K/n total event coin sources need to be played. It shouldn't matter to the developers at all who the players are who are playing that content. So if two people play n/2 event coin sources over the event, or one person plays n event coin sources and sells half their loot to the other player, it should be equivalent to Cryptic. It's still n event coin source plays.

And market dynamics will drive players into playing the content. If not enough people want to play relative to demand for the rewards, prices will go up and more players will start playing the event. The market is much better at creating good outcomes than any central planner (even devs) because the necessary information is *local*. (That's not opinion - Hayek won a nobel prize for proving it).

----

Relatedly, because auras are BoP, i will be done with this event sooner than i would have been if they were BoE. Because I can't be bothered to care about BoP auras. I'm not alone on that.