test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Nightmare invasion thoughts

squirrelloidsquirrelloid Posts: 869 Arc User
The event leaves me feeling pretty meh.

1. Make sure enemies are obeying knock resistance. Especially if you're going to make a mob of ~20 critters, 80% of whom use or spam knocks. I'm getting tired of being knocked 10x in as many seconds, especially as a tank. Not a single one of the portal enemies is properly creating knock resistance stacks. Did no one test this?

2. Less mandatory grouping. The big cosmic boss fight is fine. The portal fights not so much. Just reinforces the 'constitution is a mandatory superstat' problem this game has.

3. Too much grind. The number of tokens to unlock everything is like 14 characters doing all the dailies for 2 weeks straight. I realize they don't want it to be possible to easily unlock everything, but as a limited time event, 14 characters worth of grind is kind of absurd, especially when we have no idea if or when it'll be back again.

4. Make enemies easier to find. Concentrate them more. Worms are especially hard to find. (Which is especially annoying because 3 siphon groups is like half the required worm kills for the daily).

5. Too much travel power disable. Nightmare devourer is fine - but there's like 5 or 6 travel power disablers in the portal group. Travel power disabling should be a rare thing, not 'you never get to use your travel power ever'.

6. The voice acting in the mage council cutscene is terrible. Green Dragon vs. Redsnake levels of terrible.

7. Golden Seraph's costume is *awful*. Not only is it a bad costume, it's not at all thematic for what Golden Seraph is supposed to be (an entity from 'a higher plane'). It looks like bad bird-themed 60's power armor. The bird theme is just bizarre (Seraphs are angels, not birds). I'd scrap the whole thing and go back to concept - it's unsalvageable, and in the running for worst costume in the game, especially when you factor in the character's theme.

This is especially glaring because i *know* Kaiserin is better at costume design than that, and I *know* she's aware of the costume contest scene. Worst case scenario, hold a costume contest to pick important NPC costume designs if cryptic can't make anything decent itself.

Edit:
8. Credit on the nightmare colossus is borked. Lots of people with significant scores aren't getting mission credit, but are getting drops. (I think i got 296k and didn't get mission credit).

Comments

• jessypranksterjessyprankster Posts: 26 Arc User
    Only main problem I have are the mobs stun/knock spamming me. No matter how much ego or strength I have, they just seem to overpower me with their abilities. Goodness, I was playing as an offensive healer, and I could barely move without being launched off a building or held every 5 seconds. Some of the mobs, like stated above, don't properly stack these resistances either x.x That's right, I'm staring at you, Miss I-Like to Chain You Up.

But I will admit, Golden Seraph's costume COULD be better, but that's just an opinion.

"When in doubt, spam Ebon Ruin! It works! 90% of the time!
  • guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    Well the Golden Seraph costume isn't the best I don't think it's terrible either.

Knock spam has always been a problem in CO to the point I think it should be renamed KO for Knockbacks Online. These Mobs seem to be able to knock me more then three times before building knock resistance though and that kind of breaks some of the fixes they added regarding knock back. Though, in the game's defense, those mobs are intended for a group of three or more, and while I can solo them, those knocks might have been intended to keep the encounter challenging for a larger group. I wish they'd consider other things to make mobs challenging besides knocks though.
  • lanternjacklanternjack Posts: 20 Arc User
    The knockback/hold/nttg spam is SO annoying, I've given up on this event. This isn't fun.
  • squirrelloidsquirrelloid Posts: 869 Arc User
    Bonus thought: you can complete the portals quest while an Onslaught Villain. You may even be able to do so *while* completing the OV daily.

Content that's tough to solo, unless you're a sub and get a free 'become damage powerhouse that shrugs off everything but UNTIL targets like they were pea shooters' per character per day... :rolleyes:
  • magpieuk2014magpieuk2014 Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    The knock spam is funny and the reason for the mandatory teaming. It's OK, once you get over the irritation at being bounced around. The grind is inevitable - bother or don't.

Mandatory grouping isn't really working - there's a surprise - and the new 50 player zone limit is making the place feel empty, when there are 300+ players in Mil City. Lots of complaints about not being able to find the Worms, event locations, etc.

I liked the scaling effect when I played the event on PTS but if the intention was to allow lower level characters to participate, diffusing the playerbase across multiple zones hasn't encouraged them.

The main problem with Golden Seraph is that they're hidden behind their vehicles and not especially visible to players. Costume is what it is.
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    I did the demon and worm portal missions with a group of 3 people, because it says it's a 3-man mission, and the knocks and stuff were pretty much trivial because there was enough damage and/or healing to keep us alive and the target dead.

The knocks are annoying, but if my group can take out the portal while I'm being knocked 47 ways from Sunday, I don't think it's an issue.

It's a group mission, get a group.
    biffsig.jpg
  • championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User

*gasp* That's heresy on these forums.

Realistically they can be solo'd by most builds. Even my ice blaster did them fairly well, but it's better to have others to make it go faster.​​
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    I wouldn't say most builds, that sounds real arrogant. Heck, I have a guy who can do cosmics with ease but not take out the demon mobs. Some builds can do it, some can't, get a group if you can't; that's what the mission suggests.
    biffsig.jpg
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    Just dropping by to mention that I did my dailies solo on my glass cannon. I'll be going now ^_^
  • qawsadaqawsada Posts: 739 Arc User
    It's pretty much what I expect what a MMO event SHOULD be like: interacting with players in order to fill the objective while collecting things to get the things you want. If you cannot find a way to solo the content, then you find some like-minded allies to join and complete those mission. Other than the knock back and Westside being bugged until the next update, it's an okay event. If there is one thing I will complain about the event, it's that it happen too soon, especially after the Cosmic update.

As for the portal itself, my Soldier manage to do her daily just fine simply because her Sniper Rifle can pick off the portal from afar. My main tank can easily attack the portal without dying from the portal mob. Sometime, there are mobs nearby that are willing to attack the portal mobs and I always lure the mob to another mob and have them battle each other while I take out the portal that way. Or sometime, I just get my dps vehicle and let that do the job.
  • sigmaseven0sigmaseven0 Posts: 714 Arc User
    Nightmare invasion is ok but, not as fleshed out as other events.

Like:
    1. I like the fact that It allows me to street sweep where I want.
    2. I like that the portals are dangerous but soloable even on a DPS build.
    3. I don't think Golden Seraph's costume breaks theme per se. I see her as a "spiritual being" in the the same way as the MCU Asgardians or the armored "Gods of Ebypt".
    4. I like the look of the event vehicles.

Don't like:
    1. It feels like this event needs a custom alert or instanced content like Cybermind/Mechanon/Night Hawk.
    2. I would have liked for a "chaos energy" themed mod to be released. Maybe a mod that gives your attacks a %chance to confuse.
    3. I don't like that this update ties in with the Qliphothic World. We already have Demon Flame, Aftershock, (the end of) Resistance and Nemcon now this... This is the 5th Qliphothic story line and the 2nd time we've dealt with "new" Kings of Edom. The events of Whiteout need to be fleshed out. The consequences of the end of resistance and return of Destroyer need to be fleshed out. The countless unexplored villains from the Champs IP need to be introduced.

If we need to keep revisiting the Qliphothic (I guess to reuse game assets?) Then switch it up and put some of this evil energy in a high tech setting (kinda like what Doom does).

PVP is starving without rewards

1. Please give us Daily PVP missions that reward Questionite.
    2. Please give us an exchange rate between Acclaim and Recognition so that PVP has access to all "On Alert" PVE rewards.
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User

1. It feels like this event needs a custom alert or instanced content like Cybermind/Mechanon/Night Hawk.

It's a two week event. I'd bet that week 2 will have the instanced mission where we find out the identify of the mastermind behind this.

It's a two week event. I'd bet that week 2 will have the instanced mission where we find out the identify of the mastermind behind this.
    Ya but, there was never anything like that on pts was there? o.o
    I hate the knocks, detest the holds, but the thing that really burns my biscuits is having my travel powers disabled. I mean I suppose you think you're punishing players with flight and ranged attacks but those guys can get on top of buildings and don't have to worry about melee attacks ever. The ones you're actually dicking over, as per usual, are melee attackers who now can't escape the swarm. It's amazingly bad game design.

And that's a big design flaw of this mission, it's designed for a group, but you have to find a group on your own. The worst part is that when I solo the first two missions they only take 10 minutes or so and that means you're probably going to spend more time setting up groups then actually adventuring together. If you don't know anyone in game or don't belong to an active super group then that could take even longer. Requiring group work isn't the same thing as encouraging it.

The other major flaw is this is something we're meant to farm, group farming isn't a thing, farming is usually a solo endeavor and so if there's nothing repeatable (at this point everything seems to be a daily) then finding a group becomes an added burden to the monotony of farming.
  • aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    spinnytop said:

Just dropping by to mention that I did my dailies solo on my glass cannon. I'll be going now ^_^

Instead of bragging, you could maybe be helpful and tell them how you did it.

Anyway, I highly doubt that what you're calling a glass cannon is actually a glass cannon. The amount of knockback that goes on, not to mention how easy it is to get flung off the roof and take falling damage, is all more than enough to destroy a real glass cannon.

A glass cannon is, by definition, a character that hits hard, but can't take the hits themselves due to little/no defense, self-healing, etc.

- - -

Anyway, how I did it on my 3 FFs was this:

1) Character 1: Tank. Not much to say since tanks can pretty much just roll face. This particular tank can spam cleave, thunderclap, and soul vortex to live forever.

2) Character 2: Ranged-speced DPS that switches to Invulnerability to deal with solo content. For defense, it's able to stay alive with Lifedrain, Chi Resurgence, Ebon Void/Voracious Darkness stacks, and Ebon Ruin (healing from the shadow it summons is pretty awesome)

3) Character 3: Passive support-specced with an offense (hybrid) loadout, which I used to deal with these dailies. Its passive is AoPM, but it also has Inertial Dampening Field which is better than nothing. It has sentry + sentinel aura as well, but what really keeps this character alive is thunderclap + sentinel mastery + lightning storm spam. This character also uses support drones which are great normally, but these things beat them up quickly. I had better luck switching them to offensive mode to draw fire.

Overall, a great strategy is to kite all the heavy melee trash down from the roof. Fly/teleport down, wait for them to follow, then get back up however you can--I used teleport which I suspect may be more effective in this case. Burn down the acolytes and the portal because (I think) they all summon additional trash mobs. Work quickly, because eventually the trash you kited down will port back up and be in your face again.

Good luck.

- - -

PS: My only real complaint about this event is the colossus. Killed 4 of them earlier and never once got credit for the daily even though I got a ranking and loot circle each time. Even for ones where I was right there when it spawned, no credit. Either fix the participation nonsense or increase the loot circle rewards and abolish the daily entirely.
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • xacchaeusxacchaeus Posts: 308 Arc User
    to short, to soon after cosmic revamp, and stuff to expensive (especially when factoring in the length) enjoyed what i did play last night though...
    spinnytop said:

I can't seem to solo the nightmare colossus, maybe you can explain how you managed that.
    guyhumual said:

And that's a big design flaw of this mission, it's designed for a group, but you have to find a group on your own.

No, it's not. You're basically arguing that nearly the entire MMO industry is operating on flawed design.
    aesica said:

Would "they" listen?
    spinnytop said:

guyhumual said:

And that's a big design flaw of this mission, it's designed for a group, but you have to find a group on your own.

No, it's not. You're basically arguing that nearly the entire MMO industry is operating on flawed design.
    The design flaw isn't that it's designed for a group, the design flaw is this game doesn't help you find a group, or particularity reward group work. Now when you get to the Nightmare Colossus you can quick join a group which is pain free grouping but for the lesser missions I'd rather not bother finding a group and just solo these missions. You want to make group work necessary? Make finding a group less painful.
    guyhumual said:

The design flaw isn't that it's designed for a group, the design flaw is this game doesn't help you find a group, or particularity reward group work. Now when you get to the Nightmare Colossus you can quick join a group which is pain free grouping but for the lesser missions I'd rather not bother finding a group and just solo these missions. You want to make group work necessary? Make finding a group less painful.

Quite a few people have found a group quickly and easily by typing "Hey anyone wanna group for these event dailies?" into zone chat. How much easier do you need it to be? You actually want them to program in a que for them or something?
    guyhumual said:

Do you play with zone chat off? I know some people do, and that might be why you missed people looking for a group for the dailies just about all day long. You could join the "Nightmare Invasion" chat channel also, which had people looking for a group for the dailies much of the day too.

While I seriously dig the auto-teaming stuff, I think it's kinda lazy or something to say the game should help you find a team better. This game has had group missions for six years that it didn't help you find a group for, what's so different about these missions that they require special treatment?
    biffsig.jpg
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    I really love the designs of the new big monsters :3
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!

Do you play with zone chat off? I know some people do, and that might be why you missed people looking for a group for the dailies just about all day long. You could join the "Nightmare Invasion" chat channel also, which had people looking for a group for the dailies much of the day too.

While I seriously dig the auto-teaming stuff, I think it's kinda lazy or something to say the game should help you find a team better. This game has had group missions for six years that it didn't help you find a group for, what's so different about these missions that they require special treatment?

What I'm saying is if the game wants you to do open world missions as part of a group then forming a group should be painless. Right now if I don't have a group of friends already that want to group I have to use zone chat. Then I have to start my own group or request someone to add me to their pre-existing group. Then we all need to get into the same zone, then we need to travel together (which can be a pain if some players don't have vehicles and some do) then we have to work together to defeat the mobs. When you're done you see if anyone wants to do the daily again with other toons.

Meanwhile in a game like Guild Wars 2 you enter an open mission area and you're automatically in group. I don't mind forming groups, especially when we're doing lairs or adventure packs, but traveling around an open map with a bunch of strangers doesn't strike me as fun. I mean if I know some of the players it's not a big deal but I don't care for random groups. The On Alert system has taught me that PUGs can be pure hell. I just want to farm the event and move on. It's easier for me to just solo the two group of three missions then to potentially try herding cats for the measly 30 credits.
    edited May 2016
    guyhumual said:

Meanwhile in a game like Guild Wars 2 you enter an open mission area and you're automatically in group. I don't mind forming groups, especially when we're doing lairs or adventure packs, but traveling around an open map with a bunch of strangers doesn't strike me as fun. I mean if I know some of the players it's not a big deal but I don't care for random groups.

Wrong. The system that GW 2 uses is the same as the system CO uses when you just run in and tag the target. The only differences where is that GW 2's classes made the "trinity" useless and everyone end up being the same build to an extend, zerker armor and all. The only reason for anyone would party in GW 2 is to get ported when you dc, like in tequatl, or get into a profitable farming instance, like the Silverwaste.

qawsada said:

Wrong. The system that GW 2 uses is the same as the system CO uses when you just run in and tag the target. The only differences where is that GW 2's classes made the "trinity" useless and everyone end up being the same build to an extend, zerker armor and all. The only reason for anyone would party in GW 2 is to get ported when you dc, like in tequatl, or get into a profitable farming instance, like the Silverwaste.

I'm not sure what you're saying here. In guild wars 2 if there's an open mission I don't have to click join, I don't have to form a group, I just start doing things and everyone in the area reaps the benefits of my actions. I work with a bunch of people and we all get credit. Champions Online is no where near as streamlined and you can kill steal and deny other people credit.
    guyhumual said:

I'm not sure what you're saying here. In guild wars 2 if there's an open mission I don't have to click join, I don't have to form a group, I just start doing things and everyone in the area reaps the benefits of my actions. I work with a bunch of people and we all get credit. Champions Online is no where near as streamlined and you can kill steal and deny other people credit.

You don't have to join group in Champions Online, either, and still get the credit from doing the event, which I have done many times in the past. The only differences here is if you want the buff or not, or if you want to get targeted much easier from the healers from the team up. Unless you're close to the shout range of a Guardian or a Druid, you're on your own in Guild Wars 2 when it comes to your own survival. Credit wise, Guild Wars 2 practically encourage leeching the the whole tagging and go system. They "fix" this later on when it was a problem in the Silverwaste, but that doesn't stop the habit from dying.

guyhumual said:

Champions Online is no where near as streamlined and you can kill steal and deny other people credit.

In order to get credit for defeating a mob, you need to do around 1% of its hit points; with the exception of the shadow colossi (which have 10M hp or so) that basically means "tag it and you get credit".
    My experience on soloing portals

My Devastator - as much as I hate playing her now, she is wearing full onslaught secondaries and justice primaries, and brimstone spam is sufficient to clear the portal groups (and portal). Over 11k hp and over 400 str (that knock resistance works, at least), so she survives just fine.

My Cursed - can solo *some* portals, by drawing off most of the mobs, and circling around to hit the portal while they're pulled off, then dealing with them piecemeal as they come back. Can only solo portals with suitable obstructions that she can lose some enemies without ending the combat as she circles around. Despite a con secondary, attempting to take a portal group head on results in getting knock-spammed to death. (Likely too much hassle to make it worthwhile, ultimately).

Character on a bike w/ incend - incend is murder on portal mobs, and the bike holds up better than characters with 10k hp, strangely enough. And the bike suffers less from travel power disables. (Didn't actually try the character off bike - not enough AoE to make it worthwhile).

Lightning dps - cannot solo a portal mob. No con SS and the knock spam means she dies shortly after popping a single target. (It does mean she can kill the portal and then die, but that makes the daily really obnoxious).

Tank/Support hybrid - Cannot solo. The knock spam is what makes this impossible. Can't lifedrain enough to regain health (gets knocked), no strength so gets knocked around like a pinball, and can't even start setting up layered damage (ego sprites, the lightning toggle, flashfire). Knock resistance on Primal Circle doesn't seem to do anything. He builds lots of threat, but his damage is slow and steady - the lack of knock resistance stacking means he never stops getting knocked around, and thus can't maintain enough damage. And can't stay near the portal anyway with all the knocks, which means any kills he does score are wasted.

Onslaught device - makes soloing portal mobs so easy.

Pretty much all the characters I've successfully soloed it with *as the character* have a con SSS.

To try:
    -Sniper
    -cold tank
    -str/con/dex fighting claws

That's about all my builds I think are likely to solo it.

As far as teaming goes, waste of time. Not bothering to put a team together for a <10 minute mission. If a character can't solo it, i'll pass the bike or use an OV device. Far faster that way.

No seriously, this is a terrible attempt to force teaming. The mission is literally less than 10 minutes to complete. No one really wants to team for that.
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    I've only solo'd my way through the event missions (bar Colossi Daily) on three characters, my main, my magic user and my hybrid darkness healer (Mentella, CharmCaster & Silhouette). Only Charm & Sil have CON as a super stat, which did make things easier.

They all had "zero problems" (as in they didn't die). The problem is that the abundance of enemies causes some to lose focus and just continue fighting and fighting until the portal drags through LOOOOOOOOOOOOAAADS of enemies.

What I've been doing is obliterating the portals first then blocking loads and allowing them to kill each other. How? The massive SV rank guy can get on his allies nerves and they will soon start to attack him, so keeping him alive and not engaging him is a great tactic.

So:

1. Destroy the portal
    2. Kill the Flayers (Chain Hold ladies)
    3. Kill the Acolytes (They summon in additional people and they life drain)
    4. Try to fight near other hostile NPCs (as the basic NPCs (not Elder Worms) will engage the horrors and help you fight them :astonished: )
    5. Kill whatever is left in terms of trash mobs
    6. Kill the Supervillain last.

Remember to block a lot and be aware of all the enemies and what they are doing, if you are being attacked from all sides and suddenly one side stops attacking? Chances are something is being charged up, be it a knock or a hold, so just block for good measure.

EDIT: I think the idea of forcing teaming...is sort of good, I was surprised at how many players were willing to team up to fight portals or even the Elder worms. I don't require/want the perks on certain characters so I think going forward...I'd probably team up with people.
    guyhumual said:

What I'm saying is if the game wants you to do open world missions as part of a group then forming a group should be painless. Right now if I don't have a group of friends already that want to group I have to use zone chat. Then I have to start my own group or request someone to add me to their pre-existing group. Then we all need to get into the same zone, then we need to travel together (which can be a pain if some players don't have vehicles and some do) then we have to work together to defeat the mobs. When you're done you see if anyone wants to do the daily again with other toons.

Meanwhile in a game like Guild Wars 2 you enter an open mission area and you're automatically in group. I don't mind forming groups, especially when we're doing lairs or adventure packs, but traveling around an open map with a bunch of strangers doesn't strike me as fun. I mean if I know some of the players it's not a big deal but I don't care for random groups. The On Alert system has taught me that PUGs can be pure hell. I just want to farm the event and move on. It's easier for me to just solo the two group of three missions then to potentially try herding cats for the measly 30 credits.

The vehicle/no vehicle thing... I don't get how that's an issue. You're just moving at the speed of the slowest guy. You're obviously not going to go in and solo the mobs before slow guy gets there because... Well you can't solo the mobs and that's why you found a team in the first place.
    guyhumual said:

Since when is kill stealing a thing in this game? As long as you tag a mob, it gives you credit for it. Unless someone runs in faster than you and blows everything up before you even get the chance to pop your energy builder at the portal, which I haven't seen happen once yet, you should be okay.
    biffsig.jpg
    Would like to play it, can't get a team. Rubbish teaming mechanics, as usual. Disappointing-but-inevitable to see in-forum trolls downplaying these repeated and obvious issues. Ravenforce's guide is useful but characters with any measure of AoE attack won't be able to do the mobs in that kind of precise order, so it all goes a bit random and wrong.
  • ravynfallenstarravynfallenstar Posts: 43 Arc User
    I'm with squirrel on this one.. even the costume is bad... 100% agree
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User

Ravenforce's guide is useful but characters with any measure of AoE attack won't be able to do the mobs in that kind of precise order, so it all goes a bit random and wrong.

Funny you should say that...I actually relied a lot on AoE attacks to defeat portal mobs (Hurricane, Skarn's Bane, Force Cascade, Shadow's Embrace & Endbringer's Grasp for example.)
  • aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    spinnytop said:

aesica said:

Would "they" listen?
    You'll never know unless you try. Some would definitely listen, I'm sure.

Still, I have my doubts about your supposed glass cannon. I could be wrong, but I remember you making another brag about it in some other thread, only to have someone call you out on it when some big aoe wiped out a group of people except for your "glass" cannon.

You should post the complete build, stats, and gear/mods sometime, so that I or someone else can explain to you that it's not really a glass cannon. ;)
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
    edited May 2016
    Funny you should say that...I actually relied a lot on AoE attacks to defeat portal mobs (Hurricane, Skarn's Bane, Force Cascade, Shadow's Embrace & Endbringer's Grasp for example.)

Doesn't work for me, unfortunately. Inevitably you get knocked/pulled by something and then it's death by lockout and lag. The mobs are containable if you can get a good combination of angle and distance going for something like Gatling Gun (so you're not aggro-ing everyone), but they respawn very quickly and I don't have enough dps - which is fair enough in a mission meant to be played by three players.
    The thing about the Qliphotic portals is that, as long as the portal itself is alive, everything else respawns, so unless you're farming Qliphotic kill perks there's not much value to attacking anything else until the portal is destroyed.
    Sniper: Doable, too slow to be worth the effort. Nightmare destroyers have 120'+ range on their throw rocks and pull in (but the pull in is exactly 120', and you can back out of it when you see the animation), and both have long charge/animation times, so you can get sniper shots off between rock throws. Pop portal, pop destroyer, then its just clean up with no one able to do anything. But slooooow.

Ice tank: Just destroys portal groups. They can't really hurt her, but the knock spam is annoying. Again, full justice + 1 OV piece (defender gloves) + 2 vigilante, and Con primary, but she heals from specs more than enough to be immune to any real damage.

Both my full justice gear characters with good AoE have had little problem with portals, and OV defender gloves. Those things make a hell of a difference. (Also: Con superstats...)
    edited May 2016
    Targeting the portal is clearly key but without decent gear, CON SS or a focused attack (my Invuln build uses Plasma beam, which is almost impossible to target with all that knock going on) it's a little tricky. Oddly I think my archer build might work (Storm of Arrows' root seems to work on all the mobs, although Sonic Arrow's Stun doesn't)....
    1. Some ATs may not be able to solo this, but ATs have been getting buffs lately. This is more of a problem with AT design than the content it self.
    2. The game has LFT tools but no one uses/know they exist because this game was so solo focused for so long.
    3. The advantage of soloing with dps is that mobs seem to favor dropping the green healing orbs. Picking on low rank mobs for hp helps a lot. A potent aoe will often net several healing orbs.
    4. I feel like I'm the only one not having stun lock issues. FYI I'm running a NW melee build.
    aesica said:

I don't think she was bragging. I think she was making the point that squishy dps can do this content too. Shes been allover the forums with a similar message for TA and the monsters lately...

2. Please give us an exchange rate between Acclaim and Recognition so that PVP has access to all "On Alert" PVE rewards.

guyhumual said:

Champions Online is no where near as streamlined and you can kill steal and deny other people credit.

In order to get credit for defeating a mob, you need to do around 1% of its hit points; with the exception of the shadow colossi (which have 10M hp or so) that basically means "tag it and you get credit".
    There are two situations here, one is the big open world mission that allows you to group with a single click, the other is a mission that suggests you group but requires you to form you own group. Now if I fight a Shadow Colossus with other people, though not in a group, I should get credit, but in a group I can enjoy other player's passives so there is an incentive to join up. The other group missions aren't open world in the same way in CO, these are missions that are on the open world map, but not open world missions as CO usually defines them as you can't automatically join up. If I'm trying to do these missions solo, someone else might arrive after me and get credit for killing mobs that didn't hit but I was tanking, or worse, might destroy the fear generator or the portal while the mobs are distracted and I might not get credit for destroying them.

I'm pretty sure that if you form a group you get credit for what your teammates do so long as you're on the same map. What I was trying to suggest with a MMO like GW2 is that you don't need to go that extra step of teaming up, as long as I'm in an area, doing the same mission as the others, I'm considered to be part of the team. When I solo portals I sometimes find I need to stretch the mobs out, kill a few of the permanent guardians, but then fall back so the meatier summons die. In a game like GW2 that's not a problem, if someone flew in behind and destroyed the portal while I was fighting the mobs I'd get credit for destroying the portal, but if I'm not grouped is CO I might not get credit for destroying the portal, especially seeing as the damage resets when you're far enough away.
    aesica said:

You'll never know unless you try. Some would definitely listen, I'm sure.

Still, I have my doubts about your supposed glass cannon. I could be wrong, but I remember you making another brag about it in some other thread, only to have someone call you out on it when some big aoe wiped out a group of people except for your "glass" cannon.

You should post the complete build, stats, and gear/mods sometime, so that I or someone else can explain to you that it's not really a glass cannon. ;)

Oh we've been over that already. It's a bunch of really dumb power choices and a bunch of gear that's good but it doesn't matter for some reason and a middle of the road player behind it all. Now please remove the bicycle pump from his hear.

Unless you want to hear "all content can be done by anyone regardless of power choices, I mean gee, if even I can do this stuff, everyone should be able to! ;)" over and over again, Spinny's posts are completely skippable.

The fact is that some builds just aren't good for soloing these things, and you should just find groups for builds that can't solo it.

For instance on my main, if I jump in at the portal, block for a bit to stop those annoying pulls/knocks, then pop my active defense and offense and start throwing haymakers, I can usually kill the portal without dying.

A character that I made a brand new build with, in a powerset I'd never used before, has a much easier time doing the portals. Regen, with Thrash. I jump in, bleed the portal as much as I can, throw on my active defense/offense, then build my bleed stacks up to 5, then munch on the thing with Thrash, doing damage while healing.

My third character, a Force Cascade guy, I haven't figured out a way to even approach the thing without getting murdered. He's the one out of my three that doesn't have Strength superstat, and that may be why he just spends most of the time flying around against his will.

There's several factors, so the best thing to do is just look for a team, ask a friend, or ask in the Nightmare Invasion channel for a team. I hear people ask about teams all day there. It ends up being easy, and takes a lot less time than trying to solo.
    biffsig.jpg
    @guyhumual I get what your saying and I would love some better LFT search tools, but I'm getting the impression that you have more a problem with how CO handles finding a team than you do with the Nightmare Invasion itself.

The vehicle/no vehicle thing... I don't get how that's an issue. You're just moving at the speed of the slowest guy. You're obviously not going to go in and solo the mobs before slow guy gets there because... Well you can't solo the mobs and that's why you found a team in the first place.

Well it's more of a "hurry up and wait" thing. It's not a major issue, I could solo the mobs, but as part of a team I would prefer to wait for my team mates, but if they have an unranked travel power those few seconds can be excruciating especially when I know I need to repeat this process 15 more times with my other toons so I can get the costume unlocks from this event.

Since when is kill stealing a thing in this game? As long as you tag a mob, it gives you credit for it. Unless someone runs in faster than you and blows everything up before you even get the chance to pop your energy builder at the portal, which I haven't seen happen once yet, you should be okay.

It's a thing. It only shows up on the open maps, and it's not an issue if you're grouped, but if you're doing a mission where you need to kill 150 of a type of mob on the open map, someone with a good AoE attack can zoom in and kill the mobs that are attacking you and leave you in the cold as far as credit. Also, as I pointed out earlier, one of the ways I've found to do these mission solo is to stretch out the mobs around a portal, I sometimes need a couple runs to clear away enough of the permanent guards before I can attack the portal. If someone swoops in while I'm drawing out the mobs they could destroy the portal before I can get back.
    guyhumual said:

There are two situations here, one is the big open world mission that allows you to group with a single click, the other is a mission that suggests you group but requires you to form you own group. Now if I fight a Shadow Colossus with other people, though not in a group, I should get credit, but in a group I can enjoy other player's passives so there is an incentive to join up. The other group missions aren't open world in the same way in CO, these are missions that are on the open world map, but not open world missions as CO usually defines them as you can't automatically join up. If I'm trying to do these missions solo, someone else might arrive after me and get credit for killing mobs that didn't hit but I was tanking, or worse, might destroy the fear generator or the portal while the mobs are distracted and I might not get credit for destroying them.

I'm pretty sure that if you form a group you get credit for what your teammates do so long as you're on the same map. What I was trying to suggest with a MMO like GW2 is that you don't need to go that extra step of teaming up, as long as I'm in an area, doing the same mission as the others, I'm considered to be part of the team. When I solo portals I sometimes find I need to stretch the mobs out, kill a few of the permanent guardians, but then fall back so the meatier summons die. In a game like GW2 that's not a problem, if someone flew in behind and destroyed the portal while I was fighting the mobs I'd get credit for destroying the portal, but if I'm not grouped is CO I might not get credit for destroying the portal, especially seeing as the damage resets when you're far enough away.

The thing you describe sounds a lot like it could be extremely leechable. You want to just be in the same area and get credit for things other people are doing? That don't sound right. There's no incentive to participate since you're not after a loot drop based on score. I could go into Downtown, step away from the game for an hour, and pretty much be assured that my missions would be completed without me.

If you want to make sure people don't "kill steal" your portals, just give it a good hit or two (not just from your energy builder) and it should be tagged enough for you to get credit for it, even if someone else comes in and kills everything around you. I honestly never heard of kill stealing being a problem for this game. If you're worried about the portal being "stolen" just hit it. If you're worried about the mobs, just fight a colossus or the smaller Horror groups around the map, which are easily soloable.
    biffsig.jpg

@guyhumual I get what your saying and I would love some better LFT search tools, but I'm getting the impression that you have more a problem with how CO handles finding a team than you do with the Nightmare Invasion itself.

Yes, for the most part I don't have a problem with Nightmare Invasion, I don't like the knock/pull, hold, disable travel power mobs, but I can handle them. It's grouping that I find a bit bothersome . . . especially in a farming scenario. If I'm farming I just want to get on with it, get the missions done, and switch toons. With on Alert I can join a mission, with a traditional open world mission I just find an area where it's active and click join group, but these other two missions I have to do a bit more work for not a lot of content.
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    my problem with it, is not the drag, knockdown, knockback, TP turnoff, attacks of the mobs.
    It's trying to get the collossus mission to complete.
    It took 7 tries doing up to 483k on the list.​​
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!