test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Travel Powers: Option to remove visual effects.

guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,391 Arc User
So when you rank up some travel powers visual effects are added or increased to the higher power level. This often has the adverse effect of making those travel powers an ugly mess no the screen. I like shadow wings but I don't dare rank them up because it makes flying with them an unpleasant experience. If we rank up a power we should be allowed to decide how that appears visually.

I'm sure this won't be the first time or last time this suggestion has been made but I find with these effects it makes some of these travel powers undesirable at higher levels.

Comments

• Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    shadow wings, pheonix flight, rainbow flight, bug light flight.
    I don't use any of them after the first time.
    Couldn't see past them unless I put the character at max range. In the case of bug light flight, I avoid going near characters with that one, just so i can see things.​​
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    spookyspectrespookyspectre Posts: 632 Arc User
    I wholeheartedly agree. Instead of making those visual effects overpowering at higher ranks, maybe they could add an interesting (more subtle) visual element to the higher ranks?
  • Options
    chaelk said:

shadow wings, pheonix flight, rainbow flight, bug light flight.

I don't use any of them after the first time.

Couldn't see past them unless I put the character at max range. In the case of bug light flight, I avoid going near characters with that one, just so i can see things.​​

With rainbow flight there's also the curious problem of audio effects. Also shadow wings and phoenix flight in particular are awful with the added visual effects, I have shadow flight on exactly one character (Masquerade, my main) and use it only as a secondary power and haven't ranked the power up at all.
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    not for me, I have bad hearing and I play with the sound OFF.
    I spend most of my time trying to work out what noises are, if the sound is on.

try to avoid Power flight, it has a noise as well.​​
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    Power flight's sound doesn't annoy me. It's just a whoosh effect. The Rainbow powers actually play music while you use them.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    The noises don't bother me either, which is why I haven't suggest that they be removed. I mean the work around for sounds you don't like is pretty easy, turn the sound off, but the problem with visual effects is that you don't have that option.
  • Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    guyhumual said:

Also shadow wings and phoenix flight in particular are awful with the added visual effects, I have shadow flight on exactly one character (Masquerade, my main) and use it only as a secondary power and haven't ranked the power up at all.

I have the same issue here. I use Shadow Wings and Phoenix Flight only as R1, as secondary flight powers. Even R2 of these can just be too much to see what's going on.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options

guyhumual said:

Also shadow wings and phoenix flight in particular are awful with the added visual effects, I have shadow flight on exactly one character (Masquerade, my main) and use it only as a secondary power and haven't ranked the power up at all.

I have the same issue here. I use Shadow Wings and Phoenix Flight only as R1, as secondary flight powers. Even R2 of these can just be too much to see what's going on.
    And the thing is these are Zen Store powers, people have to pay money to get these things, and so if anyone were to ask me if I'd recommend these powers I'd have to tell them that they were not worth it in their current state. At Rank 1 a lot of these powers are okay but for me they'er usable at rank 2 and above and thus I could never recommend them.
  • Options
    crappynamerulescrappynamerules Posts: 81 Arc User
    Be nice if they'd tone down Millennial Flight, I might actually use it. It gets the extra pulse of speed over normal flight which is nice given how slow flight is, but it's like having a sparkler in the center of your monitor.
  • Options
    rtmartma Posts: 1,198 Arc User
    Travel Power Aura's anyone? lol
    Want to get to know me a bit better, Click me and take a read of My Dragon Profile Page, it's a bit dated but still relevant.

I take this quote from a review that I agree with.

"customisation is so linear; everyone is after the optimal dps:survivability ratio with 0 reliance on other players = autonomous gameplay... Players don't need each other anymore... which in my opinion is a bad thing."
  • Options
    How do you get Millennial flight?

Would you say it is more or less obscuring than this aura:

ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Think you have to be LTS to get it.
    Want to get to know me a bit better, Click me and take a read of My Dragon Profile Page, it's a bit dated but still relevant.

"customisation is so linear; everyone is after the optimal dps:survivability ratio with 0 reliance on other players = autonomous gameplay... Players don't need each other anymore... which in my opinion is a bad thing."
  • Options
    avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    How do you get Millennial flight?

1000 Days Veteran Reward as Subscriber or just be Lifetimer
    and then you get a horrible travel power which gives you Epilepsy, THANKS DEVs​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • Options
    So here's a couple pictures from my character gallery Guy's guys and gals
    Fire flight (with Aspect of the Infernal)

Millennial Flight at max ranks:

• Options
    O_o' Yeah.... does it blind your enemies too? :p
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    dragonf1ightdragonf1ight Posts: 9 Arc User
    So, at the risk of necro-ing a old thread, has there been any changes yet which allow the player to control or remove the active aura effect on travel powers? While they look cool at range, when you're right behind your character, you either can't see anything, or give up in disgust and remove it from play. And considering we had to pay money for these things, I think it would be appreciated if we could control the amount of display.

As one of the people wrote above, what about adding aura control to the travel powers? That way, we get the degree of display we want, and can tailor it to our playstyles.
  • Options
    The travel auras are horribly painful. If you're like me, and you like to zoom in to the point where your character fills roughly 1/3 of the screen, the aura fills most of the screen, either in black fuzz, or painfully bright bloom. There needs to be a toggle. Or at least a filter so that the player doesn't see it if they don't want to.
  • Options
    Use Athletics and Flight, virtually no effects.

• Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    Is the request here no visual effects, or is the request for being able to use the lower rank vfx at higher ranks? The first can be done by just taking a travel power with subtle visual effects, the second is probably a mess because of the way CO powers are implemented.
  • Options

Is the request here no visual effects, or is the request for being able to use the lower rank vfx at higher ranks? The first can be done by just taking a travel power with subtle visual effects, the second is probably a mess because of the way CO powers are implemented.

The request from me is to be able to chose the visual effect level of my travel power. Removing the visual effects wouldn't be that useful but it would be better then nothing I suppose. Why take shadow wings if you can't even see them after R2?
  • Options
    Yeah, the nascent version(when you tap T to activate, at first it has tiny light streaks instead of the huge ones) of Millenial flight would be nice to be able to keep on all the time.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options

Be nice if they'd tone down Millennial Flight, I might actually use it. It gets the extra pulse of speed over normal flight which is nice given how slow flight is, but it's like having a sparkler in the center of your monitor.

I actually like to think of the blinding effect of Millenial Flight as the unintentional drawback it has to live with for that extra speed bug. You get to be faster, but you can't see anything. XD
  • Options
    soulforgersoulforger Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    guyhumual said:

The request from me is to be able to chose the visual effect level of my travel power. Removing the visual effects wouldn't be that useful but it would be better then nothing I suppose. Why take shadow wings if you can't even see them after R2?

I can see shadow wings at R2 and R3.
  • Options

guyhumual said:

I can't see anything save for a small triangle at the top of the screen at max ranks, the rest of my screen is filled with garbage effects. There's a line of black that suggests were the wings start, but everything beyond that is lost in particle and aura effects. Maybe didn't graphic settings is the difference?

• Options
    edited April 2017
    The problem with the travel auras is that they were designed to look cool from a distance. If you're right behind your character, however, that's a different problem. As as for the idea of only using non-aura effect powers, that defeats the purpose of spending money to buy the cool visual movement power I wanted. Why should I fork out money for Shadow Wings, if the "solution" is not to use it? I want the cool effect, but I also want to customize how much impact the movement aura has on my game.

Most Level 1 default auras are quite enough for the most irritating travel powers. They show off the cool movement power without adding immersion-breaking crap on the screen. The simplest solution for the devs would be an aura mod which can be slotted into the passive aura slots which sets the travel power display to level 1. (And possibly an aura mod for level 2 as well, if you wanted to cover all the bases. Level 3 would just be "no mod".) Just like that, it allows for power customization. If you use a movement power which doesn't cover the screen in garbage or visual bloom, don't use it. If you (for some reason) prefer the look, don't use it. But for the rest of us, who find the distortion and bloom impossible to game with, it gives us control over our playstyle. Which is ultimately what the whole point of the game is supposed to be about, right?
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Peculiar. The post vanished in an edit. Well, reposting...
    ---

The problem with travel powers in their current incarnation is that they introduce too much bloom and/or garbage clutter on the screen when you're using them. Most travel powers were meant to look cool from a distance, and not up close. This is a problem for people who are actually using them. As for the suggestion to only use non-clutter movement powers, this defeats the purpose of having the cool powers in the first place. Why should I fork over money to buy a power (say, Shadow Wings,) if the "solution" is to not use the power in the first place? I want the cool shadow wings look, but I also don't want to be gimped in the use of the power because the power itself has been made unusable in its default incarnation by the developers.

The easiest solution for the devs would be a cosmetic aura passive which could be slotted into the always-on aura powers. This aura passive would simply reset the visual effects of a travel power to Level 1, the default starting display. This is plenty enough to show off the cool new look without filling the screen full of garbage clutter and thermal bloom, which starts to happen at levels 2 and 3. If the devs wanted to cover all the bases, they could sell a level 2 visual mod passive as well, with level 3 simply being "no mod." If they wanted to get fancy, they could design a third passive mod which makes the level 2 and 3 visual effects vanish just for the player, while leaving them active for everyone else.

This would allow the movement power auras to be fully customizable. If the individual doesn't use a power with this problem, don't use it. If you (for some reason) prefer the effect on screen, don't use it. If, however, you're like me, and want to be able to suppress the visual effects of higher movement power levels, use the aura slot passive to tune the movement aura in whatever way the user wants. After all, customization is at the heart of this game, so why not have travel aura customization as well? Especially when additional control over the effect the powers have on our screens might encourage us to spend more on travel powers?
  • Options

I actually like to think of the blinding effect of Millenial Flight as the unintentional drawback it has to live with for that extra speed bug. You get to be faster, but you can't see anything. XD
    Well, the issue with Millenial flight is the way the light rays get projected towards the camera.... so flying faster makes it worse.

It's like trying to look at a comet from inside the comet's tail.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    The selling point of these powers were that you had aura effects before aura effects were a thing. Now we have aura effects. Either allow us to fix the effect level or give us the option to disable the effects completely.
  • Options
    soulforgersoulforger Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    guyhumual said:

guyhumual said:

I can't see anything save for a small triangle at the top of the screen at max ranks, the rest of my screen is filled with garbage effects. There's a line of black that suggests were the wings start, but everything beyond that is lost in particle and aura effects. Maybe didn't graphic settings is the difference?

Well, I do have my graphics at max. So that might be the issue.