test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Back after break - can't find Freeform/Might tank build (Haymaker).

diggotdiggot Posts: 309 Arc User

Before i took a break from the game, i was working on a build i got from these forums, a build that was base around Freeform/Might tank that used Haymaker for building agro since dps = agro. It was also stated in this thread that he never lost agro, ever...

If no one can find this particular build that i apparently lost, then perhaps someone can suggest another very threat-strong build for PvE with decent survivability ?.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    I guess you mean the one that I edited in this old thread?

http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/championsonline/#/discussion/252135/might-freeform-tank-feedback-request

If ya want that build re-visited, then we can discuss that here. Maybe ya want to make some changes to it since then.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • diggotdiggot Posts: 309 Arc User
    Thats the one, thanks, i'll be digging into it more tomorrow and get my tank up to 40.

PowerHouse (Link to this build)

Name:

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Strength (Primary)
    Level 10: Constitution (Secondary)
    Level 15: Intelligence (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 1: The Behemoth
    Level 6: Covert Ops Training
    Level 9: Physical Conditioning
    Level 12: Healthy Mind
    Level 15: Body and Mind
    Level 18: Boundless Reserves
    Level 21: Bodybuilder

Powers:
    Level 1: Clobber
    Level 1: Defensive Combo (Rank 2, Crippling Challenge)
    Level 6: Roomsweeper (Rank 2, Challenging Strikes)
    Level 8: Defiance
    Level 11: Enrage (Endorphin Rush, Giant Growth)
    Level 14: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 17: Mighty Leap (Crippling Challenge)
    Level 20: Haymaker (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 23: Shockwave (Rank 2, Rank 3, Challenging Strikes)
    Level 26: Masterful Dodge
    Level 29: Molecular Self-Assembly
    Level 32: Unbreakable (Rank 2, Better You Than Me)
    Level 35: Retaliation
    Level 38: Unleashed Rage (Rank 2, Rank 3)

Travel Powers:
    Level 6: Jet Pack (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35: Superjump

Specializations:
    Strength: Swole (3/3)
    Strength: Physical Peak (2/3)
    Strength: Brutality (2/2)
    Strength: Juggernaut (3/3)
    Warden: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Warden: Ruthless (2/2)
    Warden: Tenacious (2/2)
    Warden: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (2/3)
    Mastery: Strength Mastery (1/1)

So i assume this build is still very viable. I tested it out myself on Monster Island at level 32 against the Chimera and i had no problems whatsoever standing up to him and killing him, slowly, but still killed him. I've yet to solve the problem in Alerts with not being able to build enough threat on multiple targets, so someone usually ends up dying on big pulls.

I have however read another guide from "The Black Knight" who says that PSS should be Strength and SSS is Con, then all his gear is just CON which gives him around 700+ with 17k life. That particular build however is towards survivability and not tanking per se.

My goal is just jump into the frey with multi threat
    Might's AoE is kinda patchy all around, though is still workable depending on what advantages and disadvantages you can tolerate. Do you want to stay strictly in Might for that, or try other powersets?

And yes, Str PSS w/ Juggernaut is very good for melee builds and melee tanks- as pumping up Con makes Juggernaut give lotsa passive defense. It also is decent for dps since it still gives crit severity (which will scale up w/ all the Con ya gear), melee dmg bonus (via Str), and Offense when using Vind's Aggressive Stance (to convert some Defense to Offense).
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)

Considering that i always try to make my builds follow the costume design as much as possible, staying true to Might or any melee as much as possible is prefered.

I am however currently planning or a Force-tank, so i will start doing research on wether or not they are a viable option.
    edited March 2016
    Well, there aren't many great melee AoEs atm, and esp ones that work w/ Enrage. Ya could try Brimstone if ya got invis weapons. The Thunderclap + Roomsweeper combo is great, but it's all close-up and RS is a small melee cone, and takes 2 power slots. Vortex Iron Cyclone is great for its wide reach and ability to corral enemies, but has low dps in itself- just like Shockwave (great reach/range; very low dps for Might builds)- partly cause both are flagged as Ranged.
    Been playing this build up to 35 now, tanking Alerts while soloing content, and i have to say that either i suck donkey at tanking and building threat/multithreat, or this build sucks at it... something's wrong either way.
    Most of the times i jump in and smash my shockwave as opener to build AoE threat, then i do a fully charged RS on main target.
    My standard rotation - HM>SW>RS>DB /repeat. Reason for SW is the threatbuildup over a few seconds that works as a DoT, but building constant threat, and while that continues to tick, i work on the 3 other skills.

Yet i continue to lose agro against some of the dps and most times multithreat loss. It's quiet pointless to even try tanking when you have all skills "threat increased" yet you can't manage to hold agro.
    Ur single target threat should be fine in a Haymaker build, so I guess ya just mean AoE?

SW does apply CS rapidly, but yeah its base dps is so low that even decently built dps FF's can pull off ya.

Ya can try the Vortex Cyclone w/ CS -> Defense Combo setup. Cyclone ropes enemies into you, then ya can use the last hit of DC to hit them all (since its an AoE). Even if a mob is aggro'd on another target, the knock from Cyclone can keep them CC'd a bit while ya try to snap them back w/ DC's threat.