test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Looking for advice

jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
So, I have an idea for a character concept. I want to build a toon that is almost impossible to kill. I don't care that much about holding aggro (although that might be nice), I just want to make sure that after any combat I'm still standing. Anyone have any ideas for construction?
"Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!

Comments

• nacito#6758 nacito Posts: 975 Arc User
    he resumed the whole thing xd
    Just another reptile lover, known in game as @nacito
    4hszgc1knoyo.png

This is a big journey, so far if you're reading this, wish you a good day
  • stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    Your concept is vague. Do you have a theme or powers you want to go with? There are a variety of ways to fulfill your request. Also: depends on budget and what content. Making a toon that can solo vik's lair is different than making a toon that can solo all missions. Plus, some things are gear depending or require expensive-**** con mods.

Easy stuff:
    - Invuln / defiant / regen in hybrid (or tank role if you want to actually tank)
    - Guardian + Vindicator OR Warden + Vindicator
    - STR PSS + Juggernaut + boat-loads of CON
    - One or Two self heals

If you go defiant, you might want to take something like Masterful dodge to use at the start of the fight since you won't have all of the defiant stacks.

You could make a 100% dodge toon. It requires a bit more to get it working, but getting tons of dex mods isn't too pricey. CON PSS + Deflection + all the dex. For powers: Thundering kicks r3, parry w/the elusive monk, lightning reflexes. You might also need crashing wave kick with subtlety of the tides. Should be 100% or very close with just r5 mods and gear that lets you use 2 stat mod slots or has ~55 dex built-in.

Take a flight power, use sniper rifle at 120 ft. Actually, most enemies are dumb and you could just use a 100ft power without being touched most of the time. Munitions is good for this since you can take ego PSS. Stack a decent amount of ego and you should have very nice cost discount plus oodles of energy from killer instinct and concentration or chiller form. It means you won't need your eb and can use the safety of being ranged.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    I guess that'd be a 100% dodge build (or one that gets close). CON PSS w/ Deflection, Legion's +dodge gear w/ gambler's gems. R3 Lightning Reflexes + R3 Thundering Kicks + Crashing Wave Kick w/ adv + Parry w/ EM adv and/or Evasive Maneuvers. And, ofc, add BCR/RR plus one or 2 ADs to fall back on. Could also make a dodge tank centering around Lead Tempest's dodge boosting adv.

Can also build a sturdy non-dodge melee tank using Defiance or Invuln and Energy Shield's Laser Knight, lotsa Con-stacking, 2 ADs, 1-2 self heals, STR PSS + Juggernaut + Wardicator, etc. Devour Essence would be good as the main attack as it has a built-in self heal. A Ranged tank could do something similar, but use Ebon Void + VD for the block instead.

Could also make a sturdy Support toon using AoRP and ample self-healing. The Support role takes a 10% maxHP hit, so you'd have to gear more maxHP. Protector's Bulwark can help w/ that. Maybe use Protector + Sentry or Protector + Sentinel for the specs.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    sterga said:

Your concept is vague. Do you have a theme or powers you want to go with? There are a variety of ways to fulfill your request. Also: depends on budget and what content. Making a toon that can solo vik's lair is different than making a toon that can solo all missions. Plus, some things are gear depending or require expensive-**** con mods.

Easy stuff:
    - Invuln / defiant / regen in hybrid (or tank role if you want to actually tank)
    - Guardian + Vindicator OR Warden + Vindicator
    - STR PSS + Juggernaut + boat-loads of CON
    - One or Two self heals

If you go defiant, you might want to take something like Masterful dodge to use at the start of the fight since you won't have all of the defiant stacks.

This is a useful start, thanks. I've been turning the idea over in my head, and I think what I'm trying to go for is someone who can take hits. Lots of hits. Think Stonewall or the Blob in Marvel. (In PnP Champs, I'd be buying Physical and Energy Defenses out the yinyang, and probably boosting CON a lot too.) Most of the ideas I've seen have been for main tanks, though, so they're always focused on dealing enough damage to maintain aggro. (I think I can probably do that with a couple of lesser-regarded powers. Maybe Fire Breath - that sure gets attention focused on Pyretta Blaze!) This guy, tentatively named Bulwark, might wind up holding aggro in a group, but that's not my main concern.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User

wait supports can be unkillable too? am i missin out on somethin here

As I said, something like AoRP + Protector's Bulwark + Con SS and Con stacking + a decent block- yeah. Main benefit is the high +heal bonuses, so ya may have lower maxHP and dmgRes than a formal tank, but can pop ur health up w/ a self-heal much faster.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!