test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The evolution of CO's subscription.

As the title states, I've had this nagging thought for a few days now(not in a bad way, just a general look at things, now that I'm about to make the jump to LTS for financial reasons). And began to really think about subs in general of CO and it's evolution. I believe it is as such:
  1. Beginning: P2P-Simple enough, most MMOs in '09 were this.
  2. F2P Transition: Happened around the same time as CoH, however, it created a very important factor later down the road. Golds/Silvers. See below.
Golds and Silvers is what it is currently, through the creation of these two, a very important factor became more and more considered, and subsequently purchased among the populace; LTS. I see more LTS in-game than I do Golds, why? Because it's more financially practical(even if you have to save to get one) than to stay Gold. After a year and 4 months(maybe less) LTS pays itself off than gives you $5 in return. Gold charges you $15/mo, then only gives you $5 in return. However, you do get more perks than silvers, not as many as LTS however.(though, a lot of LTS perks are subjective to the 'eye of the beholder'.). I say all this now, because I just realized that through the years, I've spent about a LTS' worth and some change on the game through gold/micro-transactions, and looking back, I'm a bit flustered I couldn't see the value earlier :'(. This is also Not to put down Gold or silver(though, I don't see how it could be taken that way for the latter), just a thought for myself, personally.
Buffing everything to stupid high levels and nerfing everything to piss poor levels yields the same results, but not the same community reactions.

42 40s, LTSer.

Comments

• Options
    decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    I'm working poor. I simply don't HAVE $300 to plop down all at once (some months the $15 is a touchy situation).
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • Options
    xcelsior41xcelsior41 Posts: 1,056 Arc User

I'm working poor. I simply don't HAVE $300 to plop down all at once (some months the $15 is a touchy situation).

Totally understand, and sympathize..I've recently come in to the opportunity to receive a LTS, and was honestly just thinking out loud about subs in general here.
    Buffing everything to stupid high levels and nerfing everything to piss poor levels yields the same results, but not the same community reactions.

42 40s, LTSer.
  • Options
    iamruneiamrune Posts: 965 Arc User

I'm in the bottom of the same boat.

...Desperately bailing so I don't drown.
  • Options
    renegade0renegade0 Posts: 119 Arc User
    They should have Gold, Silver, and Bronze.
    Maybe actually reward people who bought the game when came out and acknowledge people who support them financially, whether it's buying Zen or subbing. Right now, that's all meaningless if you're a silver. You're the same and someone who hasnt put a dime into the game.
  • Options
    raighnraighn Posts: 2,339 Arc User
    I underwent the same thought process when I bought my LTS... I had realized I had already spent about $500 on the game in monthly subscriptions and zen purchases and acknowledged I was going to still be playing the game a year later (and here I am a month or two away from that year later, still playing)... though it really didn't hurt that LTS was also on sale for $200 at the time either... spent a lot of the time I've played CO bouncing between gold and silver due to finances, scrimped and saved to get the $200 to buy LTS before the sale ended (got it on the last day of the sale... barely)
    ^-^ cute, cuddly, @Pandabutt ^-^
    jniKqKJ.png
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    I bought a bunch of FF slots before eventually going LTS. Sunk costs :smiley:
  • Options
    renegade0 said:

Right now, that's all meaningless if you're a silver. You're the same and someone who hasnt put a dime into the game.

Except that you have the things that you bought, and they don't.
  • Options
    spinnytop said:

Did you get 'em during sales? If not you mighta spent more than me or raighn :o. Personally, I think it's because I saw my sub was only a mo. each time/had to keep putting $15, so I figured why waste $15? And always ended up taking breaks for long periods, wherein with a LTS I'm sure I'll feel less rushed to do everything/annoyed, and will just play to play :)

42 40s, LTSer.
  • Options

spinnytop said:

Did you get 'em during sales? If not you mighta spent more than me or raighn :o. Personally, I think it's because I saw my sub was only a mo. each time/had to keep putting $15, so I figured why waste $15? And always ended up taking breaks for long periods, wherein with a LTS I'm sure I'll feel less rushed to do everything/annoyed, and will just play to play :)
    I'd be shocked if anyone has ever purchased a FF slot for full price... I don't think anyone at Cryptic expects that to ever happen either :wink:
  • Options
    spinnytop said:

spinnytop said:

I'd be shocked if anyone has ever purchased a FF slot for full price... I don't think anyone at Cryptic expects that to ever happen either :wink:
    You'd be surprised(as am I, I mean, you dump $50 but won't sub for that amount? :/).

42 40s, LTSer.
  • Options
    decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    I can see it, at least for non-altaholics. $50 one-time for a slot they can continue to play as Silver, or sub for the slots, and not get to use them if you switch back to Silver.
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • Options
    stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    I have no problem putting down gold. LTS exists, gold is a waste of money. Personally think they should dump the gold sub and just make gold what an account is upgraded to after spending a certain amount of money. Vet rewards are based on money spent instead of a worthless sub. Why rent when there are much better buying options? Hell, anyone that spent $300 in gold subs should just get auto-upgraded to LTS. There really is no difference between paying all at once and using a payment plan. There can't be that many people it applies to.

$50 buys a FF slot for the life of the game. $50 in gold subs is renting for less than 4 months.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • Options
    selpheaselphea Posts: 1,229 Arc User
    Got my LTS at 50% off. Ironically I hopped to other games shortly after, but hey at least the monthly stipend is still rolling in.
  • Options
    selphea said:

Got my LTS at 50% off. Ironically I hopped to other games shortly after, but hey at least the monthly stipend is still rolling in.

that's how I'd imagine it would shine, when time or care does not permit to playing the game on a regular.

42 40s, LTSer.