test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Hunter-ranger themed build

xcelsior41xcelsior41 Posts: 1,056 Arc User
edited February 2016 in Builds and Roles
I loved the duality in NW of the HR, so I thought I'd see if I can keep it here(and add in some nature themed abilities as well(hence Fractal Aegis, and probably Ice Barrier instead of Imbue)

PowerHouse (Link to this build)

Name:

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
Level 6: Dexterity (Primary)
Level 10: Constitution (Secondary)
Level 15: Recovery (Secondary)

Talents:
Level 1: The Disciple
Level 6: Coordinated
Level 9: Healthy Mind
Level 12: Enduring
Level 15: Brilliant
Level 18: Agile
Level 21: Impresario

Powers:
Level 1: Strafe
Level 1: Straight Shot (Rank 2, Split the Arrow)
Level 6: Blade Tempest (Rank 2, Crashing Crescendo)
Level 8: Lightning Reflexes (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 11: Form of the Tempest
Level 14: Bountiful Chi Resurgence (Rank 2, Resurgent Reiki)
Level 17: Storm of Arrows (Rank 2, Achilles' Heel)
Level 20: Hunter's Instinct
Level 23: Smoke Bomb Lunge
Level 26: Dragon's Wrath (Rank 2, Tiger's Courage)
Level 29: Toxic Nanites
Level 32: Imbue (Rank 2, Illusive)
Level 35: Fractal Aegis (Rank 2, Chilling Reminder)
Level 38: Ego Surge (Rank 2, Nimble Mind)

Travel Powers:
Level 6: Acrobatics
Level 35: Tunneling

Specializations:
Dexterity: Combat Training (2/3)
Dexterity: Gear Utilization (2/3)
Dexterity: Brush It Off (1/2)
Dexterity: Deadly Aim (2/3)
Dexterity: Expose Weakness (1/2)
Dexterity: Quick Reflexes (2/3)
Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
Vindicator: Merciless (1/3)
Vindicator: The Rush of Battle (3/3)
Vindicator: Focused Strikes (1/3)
Vindicator: Modified Gear (2/2)
Vindicator: Mass Destruction (1/3)
Warden: Fortified Gear (3/3)
Warden: Ruthless (2/2)
Warden: Elusive (1/2)
Warden: Tenacious (2/2)
Warden: The Best Defense (2/3)
Mastery: Dexterity Mastery (1/1)
Buffing everything to stupid high levels and nerfing everything to piss poor levels yields the same results, but not the same community reactions.

42 40s, LTSer.
Post edited by xcelsior41 on

Comments

• Options
    Anything? :p
    Buffing everything to stupid high levels and nerfing everything to piss poor levels yields the same results, but not the same community reactions.

42 40s, LTSer.
  • Options
    flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    NW's HR made me like the concept of a melee ranger- even if its dps is kinda low in that game atm. Almost tempted to try WoW's revamped Survival Hunter for Legion - but that means playing WoW again .... eh.

Main thing for the HR is the fluidity of switching between melee and ranged on the fly. Can't really re-capture that in CO w/ a lack of 'stances', but a ranged + melee mix build would work okay.

W/ LR, ur dps is going ot be a good bit lower, but if ya liked using AotLW and being kinda-tanky in NW then that's prob ur best simulation here (Quarry's dodge is too low). Hunter's Instinct also scales w/ Ego, which isn't statted here. I'd get R3 of Blade Tempest and DW over their special advs, and the build is missing Archery's best added dps attack (taps of Explosive Arror w/ WtK adv- assuming that's still in-theme enough).

Brush It Off also doesn't seem to be working properly. I'd also not bother w/ the dodge or avoid options in Dex PSS; giving up Expose Weakness and Deadly Aim for them means ya mine as well take Con PSS, imo :p I'd also max Merciless and The Best Defense.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • Options
    flowcyto said:

NW's HR made me like the concept of a melee ranger- even if its dps is kinda low in that game atm. Almost tempted to try WoW's revamped Survival Hunter for Legion - but that means playing WoW again .... eh.

Main thing for the HR is the fluidity of switching between melee and ranged on the fly. Can't really re-capture that in CO w/ a lack of 'stances', but a ranged + melee mix build would work okay.

W/ LR, ur dps is going ot be a good bit lower, but if ya liked using AotLW and being kinda-tanky in NW then that's prob ur best simulation here (Quarry's dodge is too low). Hunter's Instinct also scales w/ Ego, which isn't statted here. I'd get R3 of Blade Tempest and DW over their special advs, and the build is missing Archery's best added dps attack (taps of Explosive Arror w/ WtK adv- assuming that's still in-theme enough).

Brush It Off also doesn't seem to be working properly. I'd also not bother w/ the dodge or avoid options in Dex PSS; giving up Expose Weakness and Deadly Aim for them means ya mine as well take Con PSS, imo :p I'd also max Merciless and The Best Defense.

Ty! :), I'll look into those(also, EA kinda break for me the theme of nature) And mostly keeping dex as PSS to stack it w/LR to make a survivable DPS(though Ik LR will lower my DPS a bit, but hey! :p). I most certainly will go into the Dex tree and remove those, as I honestly just used em to get to the good stuff >:).

42 40s, LTSer.
  • Options
    xcelsior41 wrote: »
    (also, EA kinda break for me the theme of nature)

you could just pretend your ranger is coating pinecones with nitroglycerin and sticking them on the arrows if you want a 'natural' explosive arrow...although i don't think nitro is a natural compound, but rather human-made - even if it is though, there's got to be some kind of natural substance that explodes on impact​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
  • Options

xcelsior41 wrote: »

(also, EA kinda break for me the theme of nature)

you could just pretend your ranger is coating pinecones with nitroglycerin and sticking them on the arrows if you want a 'natural' explosive arrow...although i don't think nitro is a natural compound, but rather human-made - even if it is though, there's got to be some kind of natural substance that explodes on impact​​

Or I could say it's a fire-embodiment(think whenever you used fox shift on the HR/the bow version that grants a free dodge). What power should it replace?

42 40s, LTSer.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    If ya dun want to stretch the theme to include Explosive Shot, then that's fine. It is good added dps, but it also eats energy a bit to rotate it in. Ur single-target dps won't be as good at range, but that's not a huge deal if ya can focus on DW in melee instead for ST dps.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
  • Options
    flowcyto said:

If ya dun want to stretch the theme to include Explosive Shot, then that's fine. It is good added dps, but it also eats energy a bit to rotate it in. Ur single-target dps won't be as good at range, but that's not a huge deal if ya can focus on DW in melee instead for ST dps.

That's the plan :). Also, using Toxic Nanite can help maybe with both ranged ST and AoE damage( pop it/RoA >:)).

42 40s, LTSer.
  • Options
    i don't know nearly enough about the various powers to know which are good and which are crap to be able to tell you which power to consider removing for EA...that being said, toxic NANITES? nanites are technology - pure human technology; you can explain away explosive arrow for a natural archer, but nanites can't be explained away so easily​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
  • Options
    edited February 2016

i don't know nearly enough about the various powers to know which are good and which are crap to be able to tell you which power to consider removing for EA...that being said, toxic NANITES? nanites are technology - pure human technology; you can explain away explosive arrow for a natural archer, but nanites can't be explained away so easily​​

[Nature's Touch]- tip the arrows in a rare toxin found in only the most secluded forest, learn to harness this poison thanks to druidic teachings :p

42 40s, LTSer.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    in that case, couldn't you use gas arrow? that deals toxic damage, it's AoE and has a range of 100 ft

i dunno what the damage is like on it, but it's at least worth considering until flowcyto says just how useful or useless it is​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
  • Options
    edited February 2016

in that case, couldn't you use gas arrow? that deals toxic damage, it's AoE and has a range of 100 ft

i dunno what the damage is like on it, but it's at least worth considering until flowcyto says just how useful or useless it is​​

I've used it on my other archer..not bad, buuuut..it definitely is my least used of the skills..though to be honest healing drones are pretty bad on it but I wanted the extra support :/. So I wouldn't run it past me. Oh! since I removed CON for EGO/switched REC for INT, I could in theory take EA over ES :)..orrr...I could take Ice barrier(the defensive passive), but I've no idea how the new one is.
    Post edited by xcelsior41 on

42 40s, LTSer.
  • Options

Name:

Super Stats:
    Level 10: Ego (Secondary)
    Level 15: Intelligence (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 9: Negotiator
    Level 12: Agile
    Level 18: Impresario
    Level 21: Acrobat

Powers:
    Level 6: Blade Tempest (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 14: Storm of Arrows (Rank 2, Achilles' Heel)
    Level 17: Hunter's Instinct
    Level 20: Bountiful Chi Resurgence (Rank 2, Resurgent Reiki)
    Level 26: Storm's Harvest (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 38: Eye of the Storm (Rank 2, Blade Beyond the Veil)

Travel Powers:
    Level 6: Acrobatics

Specializations:
    Dexterity: Combat Training (3/3)
    Dexterity: Gear Utilization (3/3)
    Dexterity: Expose Weakness (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (2/3)
    Vindicator: The Rush of Battle (1/3)
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (2/3)
    Warden: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Switched a few things, not too sure how SH preforms as a ST DPS, as I hate DW animation

42 40s, LTSer.
  • Options
    Storm's Harvest isn't really a great power compared to other charged melee attacks. I'd prob stick to DW, even if ya dun like the anim- more dps and Rush for more energy. SH is still an okay attack, but I'd only use it in a melee-controller build or something, since it can proc Manip- not so much for its dps.

I'd consider dropping HI (since ya dun have many Archery attacks to proc it) and replace it w/ MSA, since ya have some short-timer cds in there. Also means ya can drop the otherwise wasteful 2ndary SS slot on Ego (for Con SS, ofc).
  • Options
    flowcyto said:

Storm's Harvest isn't really a great power compared to other charged melee attacks. I'd prob stick to DW, even if ya dun like the anim- more dps and Rush for more energy. SH is still an okay attack, but I'd only use it in a melee-controller build or something, since it can proc Manip- not so much for its dps.

I'd consider dropping HI (since ya dun have many Archery attacks to proc it) and replace it w/ MSA, since ya have some short-timer cds in there. Also means ya can drop the otherwise wasteful 2ndary SS slot on Ego (for Con SS, ofc).

Alrighty..shame I have to keep DW :/, I'll probably find myself rarely using it other than to proc rush

42 40s, LTSer.
  • Options

Name:

Super Stats:
    Level 10: Intelligence (Secondary)
    Level 15: Constitution (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 9: Negotiator
    Level 12: Agile
    Level 18: Impresario
    Level 21: Acrobat

Powers:
    Level 6: Blade Tempest (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 14: Storm of Arrows (Rank 2, Achilles' Heel)
    Level 17: Molecular Self-Assembly
    Level 20: Bountiful Chi Resurgence (Rank 2, Resurgent Reiki)
    Level 26: Ice Barrier (Rank 2, Frigid Freedom)
    Level 38: Dragon's Wrath (Rank 2, Rank 3)

Travel Powers:
    Level 6: Acrobatics (Rank 2)

Specializations:
    Dexterity: Combat Training (3/3)
    Dexterity: Gear Utilization (3/3)
    Dexterity: Expose Weakness (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (2/3)
    Vindicator: The Rush of Battle (1/3)
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (2/3)
    Warden: The Best Defense (3/3)

Went back again for another go..realized I could switch out a power for Ice barrier(which I've wanted for abit)

42 40s, LTSer.