test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

So they changed the Teleport to Ren Center Device . . .

Now amongst the pitchfork and torch waving at the Recognition changes, some of you might have missed the changes to your teleport devices. For starters it's not a charged item, which isn't horrible, but now it doesn't seem to work from inside instances, which means no teleporting back from alerts, from inside dungeons, lairs, special instances . . . if you want to teleport back to Ren Center you need to map exit and then teleport from a world map. The other change, if I'm reading this right, is that we now don't get a permanent Teleport to Ren Center Device at level 25. It seems from now on our devices will be limited.

So I guess this is another dagger in the back of missions. Traveling to far away places, doing missions, reading lore, collecting gear, grinding for drops. Now everything is done though Alerts. Actually leaving the Ren Center after level 10 just got to be that much more of a bother.

Comments

• eviltwintwoeviltwintwo Posts: 351 Arc User
    Whoah, I had heard it had to be charged, but I hadn't heard it was going to be withdrawn.

If it is going to be blanked, that is sad, it saved a lot of travel time. I've never tried it inside a mission though (unless you count from inside a hideout, also convenient).

As for why it's a charge-up, that's because the devs are obsessed with charging powers. Frankly, most charge-ups take too long--some of them are ridiculous. After playing City of Heroes, it took some getting used to, but I still prefer instant and maintained powers.

Well, I guess I'll be doing a lot more flying back to the plane now. Oh well.
  • xrazamaxxrazamax Posts: 979 Arc User
    I like that you can't just have people teleport out of missions and lairs. It always felt like an exploit that you could (and probably why the ability was removed). I do not like that you don't get a free one anymore, but it isn't a huge deal. It really isn't going to have any bearing on people doing missions outside of alerts. Nobody was going around doing missions and teleporting back after each one, and most vets are just bums sitting around the Rencen anyways - the teleport device wasn't changing that.

In my own anecdotal experience, after going to Canada without a teleport device, I just stayed there and talked to my group via private channels. +1 to Canada population :p
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    They were basically giving out a store item for free. It was never meant to be permanent, and we all knew it was broken because it used to be limited charges, so it was bound to be fixed sooner or (much, much, much) later.
    biffsig.jpg
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    I'm still doing missions, so I may have to run a bit.
    I can always take a teleport device off a 40 and give it to a new one. The old devices are still permanent​​
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,589 Arc User
    It shouldn't be a store item anyways at those prices.​​
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,429 Arc User
    It is an inconvenience, but crossing most any zone takes less than a minute, so not the end of the world.​​
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • riveroceanriverocean Posts: 1,690 Arc User
    The charge is literally 4 whole seconds long. Not sure why there is one.. but I think I can spare 4 seconds. Of all the things going on.. this issue is pretty minor. The teleport device was never supposed to be unlimited - it was obviously broken, but just got left that way for years.

I mean it sucks for people that have grown dependent on it being bugged --- but it's fixed now.​​
    Questions About AT Play? Visit Silverwolfx11's Updated AT Guides!
    > @xrazamax said:
    > I like that you can't just have people teleport out of missions and lairs. It always felt like an exploit that you could (and probably why the ability was removed). I do not like that you don't get a free one anymore, but it isn't a huge deal. It really isn't going to have any bearing on people doing missions outside of alerts. Nobody was going around doing missions and teleporting back after each one, and most vets are just bums sitting around the Rencen anyways - the teleport device wasn't changing that.
    >
    > In my own anecdotal experience, after going to Canada without a teleport device, I just stayed there and talked to my group via private channels. +1 to Canada population :p

Yeah teleporting directly out of missions is completely unnecessary; all you have to do is (at mission finish) open Socrates from the mini-map and click to option to exit current map--that even works from a hideout. The charge on the teleporter isn't that big of a deal; no longer getting one at 25 is actually irritating. They gave us that for years then it's like, "Oh, wait, you can't have that anymore." Kind of like going to McDonald's and finding out they no longer serve french fries.

In the end, though, it's a convenience, not a necessity. We'll live--after we growl a bit.
    > @riverocean said:
    > The charge is literally 4 whole seconds long. Not sure why there is one.. but I think I can spare 4 seconds. Of all the things going on.. this issue is pretty minor. The teleport device was never supposed to be unlimited - it was obviously broken, but just got left that way for years.
    >
    > I mean it sucks for people that have grown dependent on it being bugged --- but it's fixed now.​​

It's still something that was really nice that is being taken away. As I said in my reply to @xrazamax, it was really convenient for those times when you wanted to TP back to RenCen (to get to AH, for example). I didn't actually know it wasn't meant to be permanent. Permanent teleports to certain places were veteran rewards in City of Heroes, I actually found them extremely time-saving. No matter how you look at it, it's Cryptic's game. It doesn't sit well with me, though, that we get things taken away because THEY made a mistake.
  • holloweaverholloweaver Posts: 582 Arc User
    guyhumual said:

Now amongst the pitchfork and torch waving at the Recognition changes, some of you might have missed the changes to your teleport devices. For starters it's not a charged item, which isn't horrible, but now it doesn't seem to work from inside instances, which means no teleporting back from alerts, from inside dungeons, lairs, special instances . . . if you want to teleport back to Ren Center you need to map exit and then teleport from a world map. The other change, if I'm reading this right, is that we now don't get a permanent Teleport to Ren Center Device at level 25. It seems from now on our devices will be limited.

So I guess this is another dagger in the back of missions. Traveling to far away places, doing missions, reading lore, collecting gear, grinding for drops. Now everything is done though Alerts. Actually leaving the Ren Center after level 10 just got to be that much more of a bother.

The sense of priorities from Cryptic Studios is definitely beyond logic.
    I would have prefer they don't break the Right-Click Sell feature in the Sell tab and don't implement a glitched Bairgainin' Bill. For once, Cryptic Studios would have looked like they know how to deliver a finished patch.
  • guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    My main problem is that most of the other MMOs I play have ways of teleporting around the maps (usually at the cost of in game currency), most single player games have that, and although being able to teleport back to the Ren Center was a poor substitute for that freedom that's standard in most games, it better then not being able to teleport at all.

One of the original beefs with CO is that there's a lot of needless traveling. There are some maps, like Canada and Monster Island, that have missions closely clustered together, but you do UNITY missions for example, the Millennium City portion of the Viboria Bay Crisis for example, and most of the time spend doing those missions is just traveling from one point to another.

Who hasn't been in the city center and had a civilian run up and tell you that "I just saw a bunch of Robots run into that building over there . . ." and the building they're referring to is on the far end of the West Side. Traveling all the way over to one side of the map for a single missions was a bother but with a single click of your teleporter you could get most of the way back to were your other missions were.

I don't mind making a device that you'll pay real world money for the convince of getting back to the Ren Center, but leaving us without an alternative quick way of traveling when your missions force us to put in serious mileage does strike me as unfair, and it does leave a sour taste in my mouth. You should be able to teleport to re-spawn locations, after you've discovered them, for half a global or something.
    Hmm, sometimes when I try to charge the TP device it does nothing but act like I've clicked on it to drag it out of the device tray. Anyone else seeing this? Nothing I do click-wise activates it. If I hit ctrl + device tray # it will charge and teleport though.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Might be because you have your primary bag open?
  • warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,076 Arc User
    What do you think people are going to say when they make the Alerts an actual location you have to travel to?

Most players are too used to just queuing up for an Alert and when they finish, they are back in Ren Cen (most likely) where they queued up.

I think how they implemented Alerts diminished the "feel" of the size of the Champs world. And you lost that "let's go explore" feeling.

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    guyhumual said:

I don't mind making a device that you'll pay real world money for the convince of getting back to the Ren Center, but leaving us without an alternative quick way of traveling when your missions force us to put in serious mileage does strike me as unfair, and it does leave a sour taste in my mouth. You should be able to teleport to re-spawn locations, after you've discovered them, for half a global or something.

Except that alternatives do exist. The Collector has teleport items for trade, you can get Teleport to VIP club items if a vet/LTS.
    You can get untimed/uncharged teleporters in the AH. You can buy one with Zen.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • you can get Teleport to VIP club items if a vet/LTS.

from where? i never got any such thing when i bought my LTS almost a month ago​​
    #LegalizeAwoo

Except that alternatives do exist. The Collector has teleport items for trade, you can get Teleport to VIP club items if a vet/LTS.
    You can get untimed/uncharged teleporters in the AH. You can buy one with Zen.

As a lifetime subscriber this doesn't affect me as much as it does sliver players. I have options. I have access to the Club Caprice VIP room. I also have about a dozen of teleport devices from back when I was a silver and saved my teleport items for emergencies. I'm not pointing this out for myself. I'm bringing this up because I think this will have a negative effect on the game. I think it will make exploring and doing missions that much more of a bother.

Vehicles alleviate a bit of the pain, which is good, and vehicles have been much easier to get as of late . . . but teleports are standard for most games. Teleporting back to Ren Center is convenient but hardly ideal, and not something I foresee any sliver spending money on.

from where? i never got any such thing when i bought my LTS almost a month ago​​

Oh, go inside the VIP section of Club Caprice, to the big room with the statues and pool, and visit the bar. There's all sorts of goodies there.
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    And the new "teleport to nearest superjet" device is pretty durn useful.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »
    Hmm, sometimes when I try to charge the TP device it does nothing but act like I've clicked on it to drag it out of the device tray. Anyone else seeing this? Nothing I do click-wise activates it. If I hit ctrl + device tray # it will charge and teleport though.

where were you?
    not in a Lair?
    not in an alert?
    not in a hideout? yes, I've found mine doesn't cooperate in there.​​

It was because the bag was open. Once I closed it it worked fine. Also explained why I could never get that TP card for the VIP lounge to work either.​​
    JwLmWoa.png
    > @riverocean said:
    > The charge is literally 4 whole seconds long. Not sure why there is one.. but I think I can spare 4 seconds. Of all the things going on.. this issue is pretty minor. The teleport device was never supposed to be unlimited - it was obviously broken, but just got left that way for years.
    >
    > I mean it sucks for people that have grown dependent on it being bugged --- but it's fixed now.

It's still something that was really nice that is being taken away. As I said in my reply to @xrazamax, it was really convenient for those times when you wanted to TP back to RenCen (to get to AH, for example). I didn't actually know it wasn't meant to be permanent. Permanent teleports to certain places were veteran rewards in City of Heroes, I actually found them extremely time-saving. No matter how you look at it, it's Cryptic's game. It doesn't sit well with me, though, that we get things taken away because THEY made a mistake.

The bugged writing at the bottom should have been a hint, it wasn't working properly.
    did you actually ask anyone if it was meant to be permanent and yes people have asked?
    just checking my hideout, I have some with the bugged writing,
    some without the writing at all- I think those are the ones which borked when I tried transferring them and split from 1 x10 charges to10 x 1 charge. That did horrible things to my bank space.
    checked my mail and yes I have a dozen in storage.
    and the AH has none. I'm betting the people who have been selling them are wishing they hadn't now​​

I don't like any of the changes to the teleport device. I'm not a fan of it being a charged item, as I said, it's not horrible, but it does add a second or three to traveling which is strange as I don't recall anyone complaining about this before. I really don't like the limited use though, first they made it unusable in Alerts, in dungeons and lairs, basically anywhere that's not a world map. That to me was a bad change, it really slows me down if I'm doing missions. Now I got to map exit before I can teleport. So it's two loading screens instead of one.

The last change, which people have correctly pointed out was a bug, was a bug that worked on our favor. I don't begrudge the company from trying to make money, but this change is purely negative, and it takes away something that was part of the game for years. I realize it's entitlement, that they accidentally gave us something, but given the fact that we stayed with the game despite it's bugs and lack of updates, I'd think that this was something they should have let us keep.

Teleporting to the nearest Jet sounds infinitely better for adventuring, that's something that might sell, make stuff like that for sale. Let us keep our Teleport to Ren Center device. I'm not asking for myself, I'm asking for all the silvers out there who might take my route and become future LTS.
    edited February 2016
    The complaint form a person ingame " It's not instant. It's wrong. It's says teleports you instantly but you have to charge it."
    I and several others just kept repeating" the teleport is instant, NOT the activation."
    oh and that was the only person I heard complaining. Maybe I was on at the wrong time all weekend
    the amount of unnecessary running around in CO vs fast travel powers in CO.
    go try TSW or WOW and see their travel speed.
    we may have a lot of running round, <sarcastic comment removed> but we also have fast travel powers.
    ​​

chaelk said:

we may have a lot of running round, <sarcastic comment removed> but we also have fast travel powers.

​​
    I like the secret world, you can usually teleport from one side of the map to another in an instant, plus your running speed is upgradable. You can now buy items with real world money to increase that travel speed. I do like the travel powers in CO, so long as it's a flight variant, because I can do something else while traveling to a mission. The slow speed in The Secret World is a turn off if that were your only option, but thankfully it isn't.
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    chaelk said:

The complaint form a person ingame " It's not instant. It's wrong. It's says teleports you instantly but you have to charge it."

​​

Haha, oh lord. My favorite of these was the UNTIL shuttle. "It costs 24L, false advertisement!"
    biffsig.jpg
  • crashjrivecrashjrive Posts: 47 Arc User
    The fact this is even being complained about... Just use your TP. There was a point where these didn't even exist.