What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[Suggestion] Block Ability.

2»

Comments

• xcelsior41xcelsior41 Posts: 1,056 Arc User
    xrazamax said:

gradii said:

And I'm saying block replacers and energy unlocks should be entirely seperate from the power point pool you get normally.

14 power points 1 energy unlock point and 1 block replacer point sounds perfectly reasonable to me. if you want to go without a block replacer or energy unlock you can always neglect to spend your block replacer/energy unlock point.

Nothing else would really change.

And I'm saying you are looking at it the wrong way. The reason you don't get 16 power points is because you HAVE to take two travel powers. Also, you don't need a block, and you don't need an energy unlock. Many builds go without these and save the power selection for other uses.

Where does it stop? I mean, unless you want to travel around CO extremely slowly, you are taking at least 1 travel power, so those don't count, as well as energy builders - but you can only have 1 EB and only 2 TP. You pay a point for passives because you can take as many of those as you want if you decide you want to be able to play multiple roles.

And then will we say, "1 point for forms, because everyone takes a form" and "1 point for AO/AD because you really need one" "1 point for heals because you can't survive without it" "1 Point for Energy Unlock because only certain builds can get by without one" ? The game isn't designed like that. You can ONLY take 1 Energy Builder, You can ONLY take 2 Travel Powers - so these don't count against you. Everything else is up to you - decide what to use your 14 points on. Blocks are calculated into those 14 points.

I get what Ravenforce is saying, and it is an interesting proposal, but ultimately it is a request for another power point selection, and until we get content that requires a level increase, we don't really need those.

I've rarely seen a build that successfully, without a legion's energy efficiency or something along those lines, go without a EU. It just seems waay to problematic, as a toggle form(Unless you spec END or REC or(in old times) Max out INT) won't give you the end you need to keep a' chuggin'.
    Buffing everything to stupid high levels and nerfing everything to piss poor levels yields the same results, but not the same community reactions.

42 40s, LTSer.
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User

I've rarely seen a build that successfully, without a legion's energy efficiency or something along those lines, go without a EU.

I can do it on a healer (because iniquity doesn't cost energy) but for most builds you're gimping yourself. However, the question is which is a preferable setup:
    1. 14 power slots
    2. 12 power slots, 1 block slot, 1 energy unlock slot
    I prefer the first, even though many builds will be identical to the second. Bonus slots are not happening.

I've rarely seen a build that successfully, without a legion's energy efficiency or something along those lines, go without a EU.

I can do it on a healer (because iniquity doesn't cost energy) but for most builds you're gimping yourself. However, the question is which is a preferable setup:
    1. 14 power slots
    2. 12 power slots, 1 block slot, 1 energy unlock slot
    I prefer the first, even though many builds will be identical to the second. Bonus slots are not happening.
    I'd honestly think the second is better, as I feel a lot of people will find themselves with 2 extra slots just to spend(going with what is currently live of 14 slots) and will spend them either on an extra utility or just a 'for fun' power.( the latter being the case more often, which is fine. But removing the need to grab a block/EU may help to round out some builds/allow them to get powers that would otherwise be hindered by the need to grab an EU/block replacer.)
    Buffing everything to stupid high levels and nerfing everything to piss poor levels yields the same results, but not the same community reactions.

42 40s, LTSer.
  • nacito#6758 nacito Posts: 974 Arc User
    xrazamax said:

(...) I get what Ravenforce is saying, and it is an interesting proposal, but ultimately it is a request for another power point selection, and until we get content that requires a level increase, we don't really need those.

This in resume is the reason why block replacers arent mandatory
    Just another reptile lover, known in game as @nacito
    4hszgc1knoyo.png

This is a big journey, so far if you're reading this, wish you a good day
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    Okay, so there seems to be a split between:

- This suggestion gives more power to players and I don't agree with this.

&

- This suggestion gives more power freedom to players and I like this idea.

I personally would like the ability to have an innate block enhancer on all my characters, I get that "You already can do this, you just have to spend a power point.".

With the direction that content is going...it will be useful to have additional abilities in some circumstances, whilst being able to keep the "staple" abilities which you would expect players to have access to (blocking).

I made this suggestion because I think that block replacers are good to have on a build when things go a little pear shaped but I guess that is mainly up to the play style of a person.

I don't think that having to always make the choice between "Do I want a decent turtle up power or a damage power" is fun. Having to make that choice can often times hinder a build in one area or another.

On the other hand, I do see the argument that we don't have a "Block Enhancer Point" separate from the main bulk of our points so we can make those choices and so that we're not all "standardized" and have more freedom.

I think xrazamax/Mira has said:

"I get what Ravenforce is saying, and it is an interesting proposal, but ultimately it is a request for another power point selection, and until we get content that requires a level increase, we don't really need those."

makes alot of sense to me. Whilst it is a request so that everyone at some level has access to an empowered version of the basic mechanic, in the current game situation there isn't a real need for it.

Although I do see the other side, I still stand by this suggestion, I think it would be a nice addition to our ability to customize our character's powers.

Post edited by theravenforce on

Okay, so there seems to be a split between:

- This suggestion gives more power to players and I don't agree with this.

&

- This suggestion gives more power freedom to players and I like this idea.

I personally would like the ability to have an innate block enhancer on all my characters, I get that "You already can do this, you just have to spend a power point.".

With the direction that content is going...it will be useful to have additional abilities in some circumstances, whilst being able to keep the "staple" abilities which you would expect players to have access to (blocking).

I made this suggestion because I think that block replacers are good to have on a build when things go a little pear shaped but I guess that is mainly up to the play style of a person.

I don't think that having to always make the choice between "Do I want a decent turtle up power or a damage power" is fun. Having to make that choice can often times hinder a build in one area or another.

On the other hand, I do see the argument that we don't have a "Block Enhancer Point" separate from the main bulk of our points so we can make those choices and so that we're not all "standardized" and have more freedom.

"I get what Ravenforce is saying, and it is an interesting proposal, but ultimately it is a request for another power point selection, and until we get content that requires a level increase, we don't really need those."

makes alot of sense to me. Whilst it is a request so that everyone at some level has access to an empowered version of the basic mechanic, in the current game situation there isn't a real need for it.

Although I do see the other side, I still stand by this suggestion, I think it would be a nice addition to our ability to customize our character's powers.

^
    Agreed

42 40s, LTSer.
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited January 2016

^
    Agreed
    Hey, I agree with that too :smiley:

I think it would be a nice addition to our ability to customize our character's powers.

But we can already pick block replacers, so it wouldn't really be an addition.
    Also, being forced to take a block replacer doesn't really say "customization" to me... to me it says "homogenization".
    It's fine that you're sticking with the suggestion, I just still don't understand why, considering that you acknowledge it's not needed, and the stated benefit is something we already have.