test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Hammerfang: Soviet werewolf munitions

legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Posts: 1,569 Arc User
edited February 2017 in Builds and Roles
http://powerhouse.nullware.com/powerhouse.html?v=12&n=Hammerfang&d=1253KINPbhi0000810085038900880087038C03P503PB038A03EI048E058G007T0300000mTO438W1kvJ

so, my first build i tried to make myself; tell me how badly i did

a few caveats, however; assault rifle stays no matter how much it may suck since it's hammer's main weapon, and i'd prefer to keep regeneration, since werewolf, as well as frag grenade, since every military the world over never sends a soldier out without several - other than that, go crazy​​
#LegalizeAwoo
Post edited by legendarylycan#5411 on

Comments

• flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    Mini Mines are quite weak, so I'd drop those. If ya want the most dps from AR, then ya want to take R2 + Mow Em Down and use full maintains (ya want R3 if ur tap-spamming it, though that's less overall dps for more flexibility). Otherwise the build is mostly alright, given the stipulations. I prob wouldn't bother w/ Breakaway Shot as its low dps and one stack of Defiance isn't much for a whole power slot, unless ur keeping the power just for the looks (though the wire adv can add some CC, ya do have Grenade for a KB). I'd prob also add R1 Masterful Dodge in there.

Ya got 2-3 power slots open at the end for w/e ya want to prioritize: Holdout Shot w/ Stim Pack, another AO, a better threat wipe, a self-res, an ally res, an ultimate, a long-range AoE opener, a block enhancer, Nanobot Swarm, CoPD (in Primal Sorcery) for knock resist, more 'flavor' powers (like Bite or something), etc.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • criswolf09criswolf09 Posts: 748 Arc User
    I am also a fan of werewolves with guns too, but you had too many attacks and no survival at all. Note that gattling gun is much better that SMG burst given it hits 4 times per second and you'll crit like crazy. Also Conviction is a good idea since it can crit and returns a lot of health when it does it. Resurgence and Regen are a good mix and if you add masterful dodge you'll have another layer of survability. Plus mini-mines does poor damage and is not worth it, really. Consider adding at least a mod with recovery once you reach 40 to have a better energy return from killer instinct. Those are my two cents, hope it helps.

Name: Hammerfang - Revised

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Ego (Primary)
    Level 10: Dexterity (Secondary)
    Level 15: Constitution (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 1: The Soldier
    Level 6: Shooter
    Level 9: Ascetic
    Level 12: Acrobat
    Level 15: Quick Recovery
    Level 18: Wordly
    Level 21: Impresario

Powers:
    Level 1: Steady Shot
    Level 1: Assault Rifle (Rank 2, Mow 'em Down)
    Level 6: Killer Instinct
    Level 8: Regeneration (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 14: Concentration
    Level 17: Frag Grenade (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 20: Ego Surge (Nimble Mind)
    Level 23: Resurgence (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 26: Masterful Dodge
    Level 29: Smoke Grenade (Rank 2, Escape Artist)
    Level 32: Gatling Gun (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35: Strafing Run (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 38: Retaliation

Travel Powers:
    Level 6: Athletics (Rank 2)
    Level 35: Jet Pack (Rank 2)

Specializations:
    Ego: Force of Will (2/2)
    Ego: Insight (3/3)
    Ego: Follow Through (3/3)
    Ego: Sixth Sense (2/3)
    Guardian: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Guardian: Ruthless (2/2)
    Guardian: Find the Mark (2/3)
    Guardian: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: The Rush of Battle (2/3)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (3/3)
    Mastery: Ego Mastery (1/1)
    Useful Guides about Archetypes and General Gameplay of the Game Click Here
  • thanks for the suggestions so far; i did mean to add a heal halfway through adding powers to the build, but i got distracted by something and completely forgot about it...

mini-mines i wasn't too sure about, and it occurs to me that mines really are more of an engineer thing than a soldier thing, so i'll definitely ditch those

as for breakaway shot, i figured the reverse-lunge portion of it seemed reasonably attractive in case a dangerous melee got too close, but if it's not that great i can certainly ditch it

before i post the updated build with both of your suggestions, i have a pair of questions:

1. and before i ask, i should mention that this character does not have a single drop of magic in his body and conviction seems like a magic-themed power, being under the celestial powerset - is there a tech version of it?

2. why ego as primary instead of dex? will the extra ranged damage i get from having a higher score of that offset the loss of potential crit damage from having a lower crit chance due to a lower dex score? (obviously, this isn't taking any kind of gear or mods into account, so i can always shore up if need be)

also, how do i get my build on these forums in that format like criswolf09 posted above that i see all the time, only with everything colored and with a link leading to the build? i tried using the planner's export tab and copy-pasting what was in the box there, but...it kind of didn't work like i was expecting​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
    You want to copy and paste form the export feature in the PH Planner that uses the html tags "< >" between its text, if ya want an export w/ the colors and link to work.

Conviction may be in a magic-based tree, but the power itself has a limited visual that's rather nondescript (even moreso at R3, since the audio fx for it is muted at that rank, for some reason). BCR has more noticeable aesthetics, as does Bionic Shielding.

Dex PSS will be a bit higher optimal dps than Ego PSS, but not by much for Ranged dps builds, and Ego PSS has more benefits elsewhere (higher flat crit for crit-enabled heals via 6th Sense, higher defense, more ranged cost discount). Either PSS tree works fine.

<CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
  • well, here's the revised build...let's hope it posts correctly this time

PowerHouse (Link to this build)

Name: Hammerfang

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Dexterity (Primary)
    Level 10: Ego (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 1: The Soldier
    Level 6: Shooter
    Level 9: Ascetic
    Level 12: Acrobat
    Level 15: Quick Recovery
    Level 18: Survival Training
    Level 21: Field Ops Training

Powers:
    Level 1: Assault Rifle (Rank 2, Mow 'em Down)
    Level 17: Frag Grenade (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 23: Resurgence (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 26: Masterful Dodge
    Level 29: Smoke Grenade (Rank 2, Escape Artist)
    Level 32: Gatling Gun (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35: Strafing Run (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 38: Retaliation

Travel Powers:
    Level 6:
    Level 35:

Specializations:
    Dexterity: Combat Training (3/3)
    Dexterity: Gear Utilization (2/3)
    Dexterity: Deadly Aim (3/3)
    Dexterity: Expose Weakness (2/2)
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (2/3)
    Vindicator: Offensive Expertise (2/2)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (1/3)
    Mastery: Dexterity Mastery (1/1)

i did leave in the two Training talents for thematic purposes, because even though the bonuses they give are pretty spread-out, they shouldn't make THAT much of a difference than if i replaced them with Worldly and Impresario like criswolf09 suggested​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
    Yeah the diff between 2 talents won't be huge by lvl 40 standards. Usually I just use talents to boost my 3 SS's and Rec (for equilibrium) up a bit more.
  • so, i just hit 35 and picked up strafing run, then went to try and test it in a grab...key word there being TRY, because i couldn't get the damn thing to work - AT ALL

how the hell am i supposed to trigger this power, because i am getting beyond pissed off trying to make the POS fire​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
    Are you using a controller? Cause if so ya may not be able to (easily) use SR, since its a ground-targeted power.
  • no, i'm using mouse and keyboard, but not in any standard configuration

i set it up to as close to how NWO is set up as the game would allow, so i have B bound to toggle mouse look,
    left mouse click to power #1
    right mouse click to power #2
    Q to power #3
    E to power #4
    R to power #5
    7 to power #6
    8 to power #7
    Tab to power #8
    1 to power #9
    2 to power #10
    3 to power #11
    4 to power #12
    5 to power #13 (this is where i currently have SR)
    6 to power #14
    left shift to Block

i have a few other commands bound to non-default keys as well, but i think those are the most important​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
    Well, then you'll have to explain a bit more what you mean by it 'not working'. Does a reticle show up when you click it? Does it show the casting anim and/or ground fire effect when triggered?
  • the reticle shows up just fine, i just can't get the power to actually TRIGGER - pressing 5 again does nothing except make the reticle vanish whether i have an enemy targeted or not in both mouse look and non-mouse look modes, and clicking either mouse button while it's up just toggles my steady shot and assault rifle powers respectively, since those are the powers i have in the the #1 and #2 power slots​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
    Sounds like the culprit is making ur mouse buttons rebound to use ur first two powers, instead of their usual functions. Normally, you use w/e power hotkey to activate the reticle, and then trigger it w/ a left-click.. as pressing the same hotkey again will cancel it.

I believe what triggers it is the general 'Target Cursor' keybind option (under 'Powers & Targeting')- though it seems you have to change it back to left-click (its default) for it to work (trying other keybinds doesn't seem to work as a trigger- prob a bug).
  • carrionbaggagecarrionbaggage Posts: 721 Community Moderator
    From what I've observed, you need to have "Target cursor" (under Keybinds) set to Left Click. Then, left-clicking when the reticle is up will fire Strafing Run. If you also want to keep that button for your energy builder, I would set the energy builder to Left Press.
  • well, it's something to try when i get over to CO; thanks for the suggestion - i just hope it works​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
  • well, after fighting with it another half an hour, the only thing that worked was setting everything to default, and i can't play the game like that...so i'm getting rid of SR until cryptic can make it actually work properly with any key bind config, and i need to know what i can replace it with​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
    Well, SR is getting nerfed in its overall burst dps, so as a tack-on power its less compelling anyways. Ur build is fleshed out w/o needing to use SR, so replace it w/ w/e power is ur fancy- like a 2nd AO, Rebirth/CoRG, CoPD for Gravi, Rocket, Sonic Device, etc.
  • what about implosion engine? i've seen it in action a few times and its reverse repel seems to be fairly strong - might be a good way to bunch up groups of enemies for a gatling gun barrage​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
    Yea Implosion Engine would work fine, though I'd would place ranking it up as a lower priority.
  • update time! since the devs got it into their head to screw around with munitions even more than they already have been, i got forced into a respec, so he's what i worked up:

caveat: since the herocreator hasn't been updated with the munitions changes as of yet, i had to guess that assault rifle's position was valid and not every advantage has been filled or is using rank 3 as a placeholder (or maybe permanent, since i don't know if a lot of those new advs are useful over straight up damage buffs)

Hammerfang

Super Stats
    Level 10: Constitution (Secondary)
    Level 15: Recovery (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 1: The Soldier (Dex: 10, Int: 8, Ego: 10, Rec: 10)
    Level 6: Ascetic (Con: 5, Ego: 5)
    Level 9: Quick Recovery (Con: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 12: Wordly (Ego: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 15: Shooter (Dex: 5, Ego: 5)
    Level 18: Survival Training (Dex: 3, Con: 3, Pre: 3, Rec: 2, End: 2)
    Level 21: Field Ops Training (Con: 3, Int: 3, Ego: 3, Rec: 2, End: 2)

Powers
    Level 1: Burst Shot (Rank 2, Taking Names)
    Level 8: Submachinegun Burst (Rank 2)
    Level 11: Regeneration (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 17: Assault Rifle (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 23: Masterful Dodge
    Level 26: Retaliation (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 29: Resurgence (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 32: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35: Frag Grenade
    Level 38: Smoke Grenade
    Adv. Points: 30/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6: Jet Pack (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35: Athletics

Specializations
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3)
    Mastery: Ego Mastery (1/1)​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
    I would prob get R3 and Extra Bullets for SMG if its ur main AoE. Can take a rank from Retaliation, and you prob won't get much mileage from R3 of Resurgence anyways. Also, did you mean to take Smoke Grenade for a threat wipe? You'll need its special adv for that (or maybe take R1 Smoke Bomb instead).
  • assuming they get it fixed, yes; right now i hear smoke grenade is bugged where the wipe only functions around the player instead of the area the grenade goes off in​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
  • okay, herocreator was just updated, so here's the build with all advs in place

also, the threat wipe for smoke grenade is apparently built-in now, because the only advantage it has deals knockdown to any enemy within the radius of the effect

Hammerfang

Super Stats
    Level 10: Constitution (Secondary)
    Level 15: Recovery (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 1: The Soldier (Dex: 10, Int: 8, Ego: 10, Rec: 10)
    Level 6: Ascetic (Con: 5, Ego: 5)
    Level 9: Quick Recovery (Con: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 12: Wordly (Ego: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 15: Shooter (Dex: 5, Ego: 5)
    Level 18: Survival Training (Dex: 3, Con: 3, Pre: 3, Rec: 2, End: 2)
    Level 21: Field Ops Training (Con: 3, Int: 3, Ego: 3, Rec: 2, End: 2)

Powers
    Level 1: Burst Shot (Rank 2, Taking Names)
    Level 8: Submachinegun Burst (Rank 2, Rank 3, Extra Bullets)
    Level 11: Regeneration (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 17: Assault Rifle (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 23: Masterful Dodge
    Level 26: Retaliation (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 29: Resurgence (Rank 2)
    Level 32: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35: Frag Grenade (Cuts and Scrapes, Open Wound)
    Level 38: Smoke Grenade
    Adv. Points: 36/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6: Jet Pack (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35: Athletics (Rank 2)

Specializations
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3)
    Mastery: Ego Mastery (1/1)​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
    Yea, I'm not seeing that on either Live or the PTS atm. Smoke Grenade still takes the special adv to become a threat wipe. Makes sense, cause the baseline cd for the ability would be too short for a threat wipe as is. Also, the grenade doesn't have a KB adv (and never had one, afaik)- though Smoke Bomb does, so maybe you've confused it for that?
  • i'm just going off what i see in the creator, and it has only one advantage listed for smoke grenade, which is a knockdown effect​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
    edited February 2017
    Well that's just a bug w/ the HC then. In-game, you still have to get the special adv for the threat wipe, and its not a KD effect. If you want to save 2 adv points for a threat wipe, I'd prob just get r1 Smoke Bomb instead of the Grenade.
  • criswolf09criswolf09 Posts: 748 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    I have been playing a bit with the new Munitions stuff and thought I could give you a suggestion, flow's advice is also useful as well. I read on LIVE that the Threat wipe effect of Smoke Grenade will only activate on melee range. The description of the updated Escape Artist says that it will only remove the threat from enemies around 10ft of you. There are other threat wipes you could use instead of that for example Parting Shot w/Predictable adv, Cower R1, Smoke Bomb, Evassive Maneuvers with Sleigh of Mind/Stim Pack, etc

Super Stats
    Level 10: Dexterity (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 1: The Gunslinger (Con: 10, Dex: 10, Ego: 8, Rec: 10)
    Level 6: Wordly (Ego: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 9: Impresario (Dex: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 12: Quick Recovery (Con: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 15: Daredevil (Ego: 5, End: 5)
    Level 18: Accurate (Dex: 5, End: 5)
    Level 21: Boundless Reserves (Con: 5, End: 5)

Powers
    Level 1: Shotgun Blast (Breaching Round, Armor Piercing)
    Level 6: Submachinegun Burst (Rank 2, Assault, Extra Bullets)
    Level 17: Antagonize (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 20: Assault Rifle (Rank 2, Uncompromising)
    Level 23: Killer Instinct
    Level 26: Frag Grenade (Cuts and Scrapes)
    Level 29: Smoke Bomb (Concussive Escape)
    Level 32: Lock N Load (Rank 2)
    Level 35: Resurgence (Rank 2)
    Level 38: Rebirth
    Adv. Points: 33/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6:
    Level 35:

Specializations
    Guardian: Locus (2/2)
    Vindicator: The Rush of Battle (3/3)
    Vindicator: Modified Gear (2/2)
    Mastery: Ego Mastery (1/1)

The build I suggest here makes constant use of the Armor Piercing and Furious effects, so you can consider this rotation: Shotgun Blast -> SMG Burst -> Assault Riffle for high single target damage given that AR will deal 30% more damage if you have 3 stacks of Furious.​​
    Useful Guides about Archetypes and General Gameplay of the Game Click Here