test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Threat, Agro and Tanking Guide

2»

Comments

• championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    The guide has been updated. All information changed to reflect the changes, all posts to this point are essentially invalid though may still hold relevant info.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    The re-write looks pretty nice thus far. Sad to hear ya had to drop Regen though :/
    How do threat wipes work?
    There are now multiple powers that offer threat wipe potential for DPS, healers and even tanks. There are two types, area of effect and single target. Area of effect wipes (like palliate with absolve and evasive maneuvers) have long CDs but are generally for people to remove threat off themselves quickly from all mobs in an area. These tend to be best for healers. Single target threat wipes (mind wipe and entrancing for instance) have shorter CDs and will only effect the target you are hitting. They are good for DPS to be able to use more frequently and avoid agro of big mobs but not necessarily wanting to wipe threat from other mobs to protect the healer.

Single target threat wipes can also be good for off tanks as well who don't want to lose agro of mobs, but don't want to pull agro from the main tank with the boss while gathering up the adds.
    From my testing in the battle station w/ pets, EM w/ SoM now seems to just be a ST threat wipe like most of the others (w/ a temp aggro ignore due to the stealth), while Smoke Bomb is a true AoE threat wipe, along w/ Palliate/Absolve and Cower. Makes sense cause Smoke Bomb and Palliate's cds are the longer ones, while EM/SoM's cd is closer to the ST threat wipes.

(edit cause Cower also seems to be an AoE threat wipe)
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
    Fixed that up then.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    Hrr. Looking at this:
    The description of Challenge is incomplete, as it implies that Challenge does not stack. Correct version is that each type of challenge cannot stack, but the two different types can stack.
    Post edited by pantagruel01 on
  • monaahirumonaahiru Posts: 3,073 Arc User

What about Gloves of the Defender?

This is damage before resistance and is not modified by your role modifier. So, if your damage for that attack, before resistance, is 1500, this means you will generate an additional 150 threat with that attack.

What about the Confront Mod?

These mods work similar to the Gloves of the Defender, taking a percentage of the damage you do, before resistance, and turning it into threat.

​​

Please let me ask a simple question because its difficult for me to translate every English in my poor braaainz and the mathematics bit confusing for me.
    Those this mean DUC, [Depleted Uranium Core] that ignore 15% of the target's damage resistance doesn't provide any TPS?

If so, I'm considering changing DUC in gear on my Tank build to [Gamblers Lucky Gems] or additional [Confront].

My Critical Chance is around 21%, Severity is around 105% now and my main attack is [Dragon's Wrath]. Block power I chose is [Ebon Void] R3.

(((d + h) + !) * m) + c = t

​​

So if the damage per second was around 450 and self heal is about 50 by blocking, with the Protector role, using Challenge!, Confront providing 35% bonus treat, calculation would like be this?

(((450 + 50) + 250) * 1.1) + (35%) = 1113 (tps)
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    monaahiru said:

Please let me ask a simple question because its difficult for me to translate every English in my poor braaainz and the mathematics bit confusing for me.
    Those this mean DUC, [Depleted Uranium Core] that ignore 15% of the target's damage resistance doesn't provide any TPS?

It doesn't increase the threat from defender gloves and confront. It increases threat from damage done.

edited September 2017
    monaahiru said:

So if the damage per second was around 450 and self heal is about 50 by blocking, with the Protector role, using Challenge!, Confront providing 35% bonus treat, calculation would like be this?

(((450 + 50) + 250) * 1.1) + (35%) = 1113 (tps)

Almost. You forgot your threat modifier from your super stats which adds to your 1.1 there. For instance, if you have a total of 80% bonus threat from your super stats, your modifier would be 1.9. So your formula would look like the following;

(((450 + 50) + 500) * 1.9) + (35% of your damage before resistance)

Let's say your damage was regularly 700 every half second before resistance, that would be an additional 490 threat so the final formula would look like;

(((450 + 50) + 500) * 1.9) + 490 = 2,390 TPS

And remember challenge has two threat values, one for direct and one for AE and you can hit with both if you use separate ones, one that directly targets and one that doesn't.

Critical damage from tank mods is also additional threat that would be enhanced since it is damage before resistance, but it is a random factor and would require a longer formula, though looking at it now I need to fix the formula anyways, since the heal component is wrong.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • monaahirumonaahiru Posts: 3,073 Arc User
    TY I finally understood.