test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I Just Died 30 times in 20 minutes...

2»

Comments

• guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,391 Arc User

I have to say, this event mainly enforces the need to block (in most cases) and frankly I think that is a good thing.

The only issue I have is what guyhumual says "I hate dying without knowing why". The main reason I die is because I don't pay attention and block attacks. This happens because when there are loads of players around as well as FX, it is difficult to see exactly who the Mega D is targeting with:

-Giant Micro Munitions (20k Crushing base)
    -Giant Shoulder Launcher (20k Crushing base)
    -"Mega Destroid Scream (or whatever this attack is called)" (20k Sonic base)
    -Electrical Hold (15k base? not sure on this one)
    -Giant Fireball (15k base? not sure on this one)

And of course:

-Double Mega Destroid Destroyer Waves (20k Particle Base per wave) for when Mega D's feel like synchronising their attacks.

And the biggest problem with tells is that without a full field of vision you can't even see the attacks sometimes. What would be cool is that when you join the event, along with seeing your teammates on one side of the screen, if you could see the heads of your enemies on the other side, along with any power up warnings like BOOM, FLOOM, as well as being able to see who they're targeting. I don't think all of the attacks @theravenforce listed have tells, the micro munitions is the FLOOM attack, the BOOm is the Mega D waves, but I don't think the attack I'm being mushed with has a power up warning, and it's likely what @jellycupsowbug is saying is correct, that the animation to whatever they're doing is being overridden.

This is something I really wish they'd fix as I invited a silver player to this event but predictably they left disgusted. It's fine for me, with access to the VIP lounge, I can refill my stars when I decide to go melee (and repeatedly get mashed to a pulp from sometimes unknown forces), but these big events should bring everyone together and sadly the majority of the silver players are going to be turned off by this event.
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    So I joined the event as a melee player.

Black Diamond my Might build, admittedly I was using Invulnerability...

I died once due to being held (because I forgot to block) and then that being followed up by a Liberated Mega Destroid Destroyer Wave.

Honestly I paid attention to stuff only marginally more than I do when I'm ranged.

Fireball, Giant Micro Muni, Electrical Hold & Destroyer Wave all have discernable tells.

Shoulder Launcher's one isn't very distinct and I don't think the Sonic Damage once has a tell.

Generally if a Champion, like Sapphire is tanking and I'm within 50ft of her/them, I'll block anyway as a general rule.

I also try to position myself so I can see both Mega D's clearly so that I'm not caught out.
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited September 2015

So I joined the event as a melee player.

Black Diamond my Might build, admittedly I was using Invulnerability...

I died once due to being held (because I forgot to block) and then that being followed up by a Liberated Mega Destroid Destroyer Wave.

Honestly I paid attention to stuff only marginally more than I do when I'm ranged.

I pay attention like a fox near a piece of bacon... but no matter how hard I stare at the screen, and no matter how super hard I hold that block button, I still get mashed into paste if the timing of the two robot's big boom attacks puts them too close together. I'm literally just gambling that their timing happens to put enough space between them that I can recover.

This is just the reality for a character that has no Con, and doesn't utilize the typical defense stacking mechanics. I can block like a pro all I want, but in the end it's about numbers, not player action. This same character can beast their way through most other content like a reckless maniac.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    Sure, I die a lot. So? The only time that was annoying was when I was using The Other One, who for some reason keeps rezzing next to Kodiak (not sure why, as The Other One is lvl 26). It's a long flight back from there, even with a Wasp.

Most of my guys rez over near the magic shop, though, so it's right back into the fight for them! The penalty for death in this game is minor at best, as befits a genre in which the dead rise from the grave so often they have to make a point of it when a character dies for good. (Loved the bit in X-Factor a few years back when Banshee of the X-Men was killed, but his daughter Siryn figured it was okay because no X-Man ever really dies.)
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    One-shotting a player with attacks that can have no tells isn't challenging, it's cheap. I do better with my glass cannon Soldier than my FF melee. Even then, I've fallen over and died when nothing was going on that I could see. The Mega D near me was waving his hands in the air like he was at the game and then boom! Dead.

It's not the death part, it's death that can't be prevented because you aren't tank or sniper enough. Can't block what you can't see and non-tank probably aren't going to live through double energy waves even if blocking.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    Spinny, I've noticed on some characters. If I have the EB running, it won't let me block, regardless of how many times I press the button(or how much abuse I scream at the screen). Just keeps using the EB. I have died so many times due to that.​​
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • kaiserin#0958 kaiserin Posts: 3,088 Cryptic Developer
    It's doable on melee, but you need to play more carefully. When there's two in range it gets tricky as they can double up on their big hits. The handclap stun lacks a overhead tell, and they only use it if the person they're aggrod on is in melee.

One thing you want to do if you get hit by that stun and you block it late is to either have a active defense up or keep holding block and get yourself out of range. If you blocked it late and let go of block you'll still get hit by the stun. Active offenses do jack didley to break you out of it so you'll be open to other attacks for a while, best just let it wear off from a safe distance.

Two destroids together is a royal pain, and I partly blame the champion npcs. To avoid this you'd want people to draw them away, but the champs do so much damage that it's not easy pulling aggro from them, which I think is a mistake.​​
    spinnytop said:

This is just the reality for a character that has no Con, and doesn't utilize the typical defense stacking mechanics. I can block like a pro all I want, but in the end it's about numbers, not player action. This same character can beast their way through most other content like a reckless maniac.

I guess, sadly that's part of the reality of going up against enemies 20 levels above you and with cosmic status.

I'm not saying the event is perfect, far from it as I do understand and realize what your saying as facts, I've had it happen to me multiple times but just on my end and how I play, usually the deaths are my fault.

Occasionally I'll get one shotted through block because I blocked late and didn't give it a chance to charge up but other than that, on melee toons, I find it really is the stun that gets you.

Since they are NPCs (so they already run on a different system to players, a stronger one in terms of value/power) and 20 levels above you...and Cosmic, the stun will really diminish your effectiveness.

As with all forms of CC, you can hold block and wait for incoming damage from adds or the boss to hit you, to break the CC. Just be sure to give it more time than you normally would, since they are 20 levels above us.
  • elenahallelenahall Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    I was one of the few tanks in there who had no con as superstat or exceptional. Bad loot tables and lag and dc issues aside (I agree with both in general) the Destroids are easily doable if you have two high aggro tanks who pick the destroid groups of 2 apart so that the players are only in range of 1 of their aoe bursts.

Once that is done, its pretty simple. Either one of the two tanks stays on their own keeping one destro busy till the others are down and the group then joins them, or the groups split up evenly between the two.

Both works; In both situations each group is only confronted with 1 Burst and when they target the Mega-Destroid its easy to see when it casts and to block in time.

I also have to agree that working with two Destros at the same time is next to impossible to block both because of all the effects and confusion without a dedicated healer and con superstatted/exceptional to gain more buffer life, as well as because of the silly UI that makes it hard to zoom out properly and even let you see what the other one is doing at any given time. Even more problematic than for the tank alone though is the whole group that has to deal with two of them. You can't expect your group to take care of both of the Destros at the same time. It won't work.

Therefore I can only recommend to split them up whenever possible. Yes the NPCs are annoying, but they cannot really compete with a high aggro tank, even a lower con tank with 7-8k hits will do as long as the dps and aggro output is decent.
    When I see the Champions all taking turns to tank, that really cracks me up, I like that aspect.

I still remember seeing Kinetik showing everyone how it's done as a melee DPS tank lol
  • kamokamikamokami Posts: 1,633 Arc User
    For those having trouble seeing both destroids you can use the camdist command. I typically play at "/camdist 120" and it works out. Type that in without quotes to try it out.
  • jellycupsowbugjellycupsowbug Posts: 358 Arc User
    Thanks for posting that. I really didn't feel like searching for it.

I'm disappointed that a console command makes such a huge difference when it's so obscure. For having such shallow game play, CO is absurdly complicated.
  • darqaura2darqaura2 Posts: 932 Arc User
    kaizerin said:

It's doable on melee, but you need to play more carefully. When there's two in range it gets tricky as they can double up on their big hits. The handclap stun lacks a overhead tell, and they only use it if the person they're aggrod on is in melee.

One thing you want to do if you get hit by that stun and you block it late is to either have a active defense up or keep holding block and get yourself out of range. If you blocked it late and let go of block you'll still get hit by the stun. Active offenses do jack didley to break you out of it so you'll be open to other attacks for a while, best just let it wear off from a safe distance.

Two destroids together is a royal pain, and I partly blame the champion npcs. To avoid this you'd want people to draw them away, but the champs do so much damage that it's not easy pulling aggro from them, which I think is a mistake.​​

Nice tips. Also very nice interface setup! You've inspired me to fix mine. (Your youtube videos aren't bad either. :wink: )
  • jessypranksterjessyprankster Posts: 26 Arc User
    Fortunately, I just leveled up my sniper character through the Double XP Week and used it for the Destroid Event, BUT I can't tell you how many times I got nothing but a small percentage of globals and green gear! They could at least increased the G-Cap of the event to 30. I mean, 3G is just pitiful for taking down level 60 Mega Destroids and a level 60 Mechanon >.>
    "When in doubt, spam Ebon Ruin! It works! 90% of the time!
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    kamokami wrote: »
    For those having trouble seeing both destroids you can use the camdist command. I typically play at "/camdist 120" and it works out. Type that in without quotes to try it out.

That's really freaking awesome!
    ship

It's being really long since the last time I saw that Trailer!

Black Mask's @1:02 Steady Shot is way too faster than ingame (she also used MINI MINES)

and Defender decapitated a Mega Destroit? ok that's Beans​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!