test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I Just Died 30 times in 20 minutes...

..and all I got was a few hundred Q, a handful of resources, a shoddy catalyst, and a crappy piece of green gear.

Seriously, the Destroid Event rewards table needs shot in the face, dumped in a vat of super-steroids, and revived with sleek and sexy new generous performance.

And that one-shot needs its kneecaps broken.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

Visit Coffin Baby's Entry on The PRIMUS Database

Need a new Build? Visit Bluegrass Beast's Build Basement - Last Updated 09/10/16: New Build!

Comments

• flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    I didn't die once. And got Nighthawk Backup.​​
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • zemmaxzemmax Posts: 295 Arc User
    I was on top of the list, with most DPS, I beat everybody in points.

and I got a piece of green secondary gear and 3g.

HUEHEUEHHUHEUHGGHGHUEH

out of 8 completed completed Destroid invasions i got one Permanent Backup. It seems pretty fair to me. Tho that backup might be the last thing I get whole week, then I might change my mind about this.​​
  • guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,386 Arc User
    I just helped take down 4 mega destroyers, game crashed as I was going to help take out the last two, got NOTHING!
    I am absolutely livid right now. I have absolutely no incentive to do any of that again. I mean the content is about as ridiculous as it was the last two years. You routinely get blindsided by Mega destroyers you can't see and thus can't block against, melee and close range characters are at a distinct disadvantage, and now I got to deal with random crashes? I was so mad I was actually lowered to the level of swearing in game. I never swear. I apologize to anyone in game, no doubt you've heard worse, but I could literally punch something right now I'm so angry.
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
    I wonder how dodge tanks are faring?​​
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,021 Arc User
    I died Several times thanks to the LAG!
    This is why I stop bothering with Open World events like this! THE LAG!

SERIOUSLY CRYPTIC! Remove DoTs and Debuffs SFX from HUGE targets (this includes Harbinger) onion-57.gif​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • xrazamaxxrazamax Posts: 979 Arc User
    Turning down video settings helps, but actually the thing that was causing my crashing was the damage floaters and names of other players. Once I went to the HUD options and turned those off, I stopped crashing. I forget who gave me this advice last year, but it has worked ever since.
    edited September 2015
    xrazamax wrote: »
    Turning down video settings helps, but actually the thing that was causing my crashing was the damage floaters and names of other players. Once I went to the HUD options and turned those off, I stopped crashing. I forget who gave me this advice last year, but it has worked ever since.

I will keep it in mind for future reference, thanks for sharing! onion-7.gif

I remember people mentioning that the lag is caused by the U.I! players' Names, Role Icons and damage floaters​​
    Post edited by avianos on
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    The rewards table for the destroid event should sort of be evened out -- everything but the Backup devices is total trash, and the Backup devices are grossly overpowered (a Backup can run 1,000G; nothing else you can get is worth more than 3G). Also, the megas used to drop resources and no longer do. My other problems with the anniversary event:
    • If you're not level 40, go home. Something about level vs level tables means that shots that do 24k base damage to a level 40 (which most level 40s should survive if they block) do 70k to a level 30.
    • If you can't take a 24k hit without blocking, and you're using attacks with range < 100', you're going to die lots, because while it's possible to block the mega you're fighting, it's not so possible to block the other one.
    • The event encourages leeching and tagging. I'm not sure that performance-based methods are optimal either, but it would be nice to have a 'are you participating at all' check.
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    lets see, green gear, green gear, no Q, catalyst, blue gear.
    ranged level 40 and I got about 14th on the list
    I hd the game crash when I ran up to the gardens around the HQ. didn't even get near the fight.
    Guyhumal , if you manage say anything I haven't already heard from my father, I'll be surprised.
    His last comments on my swearing was " where did you learn that language from?" Odd how he hasn't mentioned it since.​​
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• squirrelloidsquirrelloid Posts: 869 Arc User
    Melee is simply unplayable. I've gone to using a vehicle with my melee, even though it cuts my damage by to 1/3rd of her normal potential. And I'm vastly prefering using my sniper character. 120' means never getting hit by insta-death waves. Now, if only the Mega-D's hitboxes didn't move 10' just because they turn 90 degrees.
    ok just got booted while at Gateway station. got back in and then game and whole computer locked up. had to turn the power to get out.​​

Melee is simply unplayable. I've gone to using a vehicle with my melee, even though it cuts my damage by to 1/3rd of her normal potential. And I'm vastly prefering using my sniper character. 120' means never getting hit by insta-death waves. Now, if only the Mega-D's hitboxes didn't move 10' just because they turn 90 degrees.

*SIGH* Melee has to suffer so much in CO it's not even funny​​
    chaelk said:

Guyhumal , if you manage say anything I haven't already heard from my father, I'll be surprised.

His last comments on my swearing was " where did you learn that language from?" Odd how he hasn't mentioned it since.​​

I'm in the opposite boat, my parents never swear, my grandparents never swore, and I almost never swear (except when I'm playing computer games), and even then it's usually localized to my computer room and not in the game itself. Yesterday I was really angry though, and although I didn't unleash a profanity ridden rant into zone, I did uncharacteristically use a very crude word. Worse still, it was while I was on Masquerade, my main. No doubt people have heard much, much worse, but not from me. Random crashes and being robbed of rewards does that to me I guess.
    avianos said:

*SIGH* Melee has to suffer so much in CO it's not even funny​​

which is why I was disappointed that they unbinded the follow key, one of the few commands that actually helped melee characters, but I suppose that's par for the course. I didn't get into CO until it went F2P but one of the first videos I saw of the game featured a developer talking about how they were listening to feedback and improving melee powers.
  • stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    I do better with my glass cannon Soldier than my melee FF toons. Kinda makes me a bit sad since I love melee. I don't go out to 120ft though, since sniper rifle kinda has poo dps. Gat gun. Woo!

Although, I have to wonder if the player effects overwrite the Mega D's attacks. Sometime I keel over and die but I didn't see any of the one-shotty attacks.

One shotting is lame. Especially with this content when you need to pay attention to two giant disco-balling robots.

I swear all the time, despite my (failing) efforts to curb my casual f-bomb usage. I have to make the effort not to be a potty mouth in my videos.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • aiqaaiqa Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    The only real problem I had with melee is the stun attacks.
  • sammiefightersammiefighter Posts: 92 Arc User
    Yeh one shots suck. Guess one smart Dev might scale their alphas strikes some day to take into account squishies. But on the other hand sooner or later somethings gotta kill you?

Hopefully through all the effects you can see them squat (easier at range), when they do .. block. Cause their going boom. If your melee its harder, stay behind them (they have some front cones) helps a bit. Plus the old defensive passive high hp. Dodge melee never friendly in most games.

As for rewards. Meh. Some times you just need fun things, its not like its permanently bad. Plus all those games with abandoned sections that no one plays cause rewards fuel all (gotta grind that gridium) is sad.
    Guyhumal. my mother doesn't swear and I make sure never to swear near her, children(who pick up words at the most inopportune moment) or most times but boy does my language go downhill when I get anoyed. You don't want to hear what my computer gets called.
    Melee has the other problem, they are close in on large targets, the tells are WAY over their heads.
    Sammie, RNG hates me. anywhere there is rewards by RNG, I get crap or nothing.​​

• squirrelloidsquirrelloid Posts: 869 Arc User
    sterga said:

I do better with my glass cannon Soldier than my melee FF toons. Kinda makes me a bit sad since I love melee. I don't go out to 120ft though, since sniper rifle kinda has poo dps. Gat gun. Woo!

My sniper is usually 4th or 5th, and never below 10th, in damage rankings. I've spiked as high as 21k hits. Admittedly, not everyone has a VB-A1A Eagle Rifle, which markedly improves performance at long ranges.

And never needing to block is so less annoying, with the lagfest these things usually become.
    edited September 2015
    I just outranked 8 people on a level 14. That's bad and got an extra 12 deaths over 2 runs, which isn't too bad. Though those AOE's seem to be bigger than 100ft. I had Pulse beam rifle was just in range and ran backwards as soon as they crouched and was hit by the damage at least 10 ft outside the blue dome.​​

• xrazamaxxrazamax Posts: 979 Arc User
    chaelk said:

Melee has the other problem, they are close in on large targets, the tells are WAY over their heads.

​​
    You can increase camera range to zoom out farther and see their "tells".

• jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    chaelk said:

I just outranked 8 people on a level 14. That's bad and got an extra 12 deaths over 2 runs, which isn't too bad. Though those AOE's seem to be bigger than 100ft. I had Pulse beam rifle was just in range and ran backwards as soon as they crouched and was hit by the damage at least 10 ft outside the blue dome.​​

It was noted last year that apparently so long as you were targeted during the attack's buildup, you're going to get hit by the attack, even if you get out of range first. It's happened to me a number of times this year. (Kind of frustrating to see the blue bubble end ten feet away from me - and then die anyway.)
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • euthymiaeuthymia Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited September 2015

..and all I got was a few hundred Q, a handful of resources, a shoddy catalyst, and a crappy piece of green gear.

Seriously, the Destroid Event rewards table needs shot in the face, dumped in a vat of super-steroids, and revived with sleek and sexy new generous performance.

And that one-shot needs its kneecaps broken.

Ha! Why would they fix reward tables, which give you rewards for playing the game, when they can put the rewards you want in lockboxes and make you buy keys and pray to the RNG gods to get them?

You haven't noticed that the reward tables for pretty much everything have been broken since about the time the first lockboxes started to appear?

Used to be able to get tons of costume pieces and gear just by going through the game and beating up random thugs. Alerts used to be healthy sources of costume pieces too. Hell even the Z-store had a a more constant stream of costume sets.
    jonsills said:

chaelk said:

It was noted last year that apparently so long as you were targeted during the attack's buildup, you're going to get hit by the attack, even if you get out of range first. It's happened to me a number of times this year. (Kind of frustrating to see the blue bubble end ten feet away from me - and then die anyway.)
    That's just how the game works. It's always worked that way. Enemies can even shoot through walls!

As soon as a signpost gets in your way though, you get "you can't see the target."
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    gradii said:

The main issue I saw with it was the lack of tells. If you were targeting ONE particular mega Destroid, you'd get to know when THAT one was going to nuke, NOT the other one often right next to it.

Yeah, it's a glaring issue. Someone in Conquer tried to tell me I just need to zoom out my camera to the max distance... they didn't say anything else after I pointed out that I was already doing that and I still couldn't see the other destroid's tell. Sure I can just watch the other Destroid for the animation, but I have a nice smooth framerate even with a bunch of people there - not everyone has that luxury, some people depend on that big red circle to survive as a squishy melee.... and even then, my squishy melees simply cannot survive two blocked Destroid AOEs back-to-back.

People try to tell me this event isn't badly designed, but I still hold that this event is an example of some of the worst design in the game - one-dimensional stand-there-and-spam combat, blatantly unbalanced for melee glass cannons and mid-range glass cannons, arbitrary start timers, ungodly rng-based rewards, camera-based visibility issues, and lack of foresight concerning people with lower-end hardware. This event, to me, looks like a thesis on how to make poorly designed content in CO. I'm sure someone out there thinks this event is super fun.

The same person that told me about zooming my camera out told me that the rewards are not influenced by your score. Not sure if I believe them. Conquer is full of dumdums.
    spinnytop said:

The same person that told me about zooming my camera out told me that the rewards are not influenced by your score. Not sure if I believe them. Conquer is full of dumdums.

I scored so low on the list once, I couldn't even find my name. I got an Ironclad Backup that time. No relation between prize and score confirmed,
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

Apparently the Mechanon event is now live :(
    It's the event where the developers listened to all our complaints about the Dr Destroyer event and said "I think we can ramp the BS up 100%!"

Tired of dealing with 6 mega destroids and then switching zones to help out other folks in other zones? Well now you'll be lucky if you finish your own zone in time!

Dissatisfied with crummy rewards you got from couple of rewards boxes in the Destroyer event? Well now you'll be even more disappointed when if you manage to get a reward and get the same crummy rewards for double the effort!

Frustrated with people in PUGs not listening to you and letting the rest of the team down? Well now you get to experience that on a much larger scale as dozens of players desperately try to corral cats.

All this and more as Mechanon goes live for a second year.
    But at least this year the Plasma Beam spam won't render the targets immune to damage after stacking enough times.

• theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    I'm trying to log on now to see if I still have a couple copies of that aura. If I do, I'll let you know.
    @bluegrassbeast, unfortunately I don't have any remaining copies, I think I must have handed them out to others a few months beforehand...sorry for getting your hopes up. Here's hoping you do get a shot at the aura though!
  • stellariodragonstellariodragon Posts: 588 Arc User
    It's fun content. I think there's a hitch in CO where players aren't used to dying and then suddenly finding themselves dying in team-based end-game content.
    • It might relive player tensions if they found stars in the reward box. I know this is usually tied to fame (giving to charity/talking to reporters), but the player *did* just save the city.
    • A silver champion recog would be better than a piece of green gear.
    • The Mega Ds need a more unique animation for when they're charging up their big attack. Perhaps something like an oscar statue pose with thier legs together--that way players who only see the legs can know when to block.
  • gaarafrednorrispgaarafrednorrisp Posts: 504 Arc User

No, its not the dying. Its the dying constantly to badly-designed cheap-shots.

"We here at Cryptic have heard the complaints of some players that the game is too unfair with some fights. So we've decided to implement a new system. Upper level battles will now be less cheap for players that activate what we're calling 'Balance Mode', and be easy enough that 25 players or less can complete them with plenty of time to spare. As a trade off, every sound effect will now be replaced with that of a loud child crying on loop. The same goes for music. To ensure your enjoyment, this will lock the sound of your computer so you can't lower the volume."
    AWWWW CHAMPIONS UNIVERSE! DON'T YOU DARE. BE SOUR. CLAP FOR YOUR NIGHTMARE AND FEEEEEEEEEEEL THE POWAAAAAAH!
    jonsills said:

spinnytop said:

I scored so low on the list once, I couldn't even find my name. I got an Ironclad Backup that time. No relation between prize and score confirmed,
    Thank god someone not in Conquer provided some evidence, finally something I can trust.
    edited September 2015

It's fun content. I think there's a hitch in CO where players aren't used to dying and then suddenly finding themselves dying in team-based end-game content.

Listen. I'm "that player" ...the one who purposely builds to make the game more difficult for myself, builds so I actually have to react to things quickly and accurately, can't rely on just having high defense and spamming heals, loves the thrill of a fight that actually requires me to pay attention and react, dies a lot ( within the context of what that means for this game ) directly because of the way I build and play and doesn't even complain about it... and even I think this event is total nonsense.

The issue is not "oh no I died!". The issue is that on certain extremely squishy characters this event is a cake walk because all I have to do is occasionally move backwards two feet, and on other squishy characters I just have to get used to the fact that I'm going to die repeatedly because of the reality of numbers. I'm all for content where you have to react or die... but this content doesn't foster that.

And I'm not even talking about open-world Mechanon yet.

They can do better. They have done better. And I believe they will do better. I'm rating this content as filler to silence the most high-pitched whiners who constantly complain that there's not enough stuff coming out fast enough - I'm sure someone at Cryptic knows this content isn't particularly great, but they're working with what they have until the better stuff is ready for pts.
    edited September 2015
    I hate dying without knowing why, I can usually block the BOOM attacks, but there's another close range attack that does 13000+ damage and I have no idea what it is.
  • jellycupsowbugjellycupsowbug Posts: 358 Arc User
    It uses the thunder clap animation, so watch for when they stick their hands out to their sides. The animation gets overridden pretty easily, so it might not show at all.

They also have the one with the Fire Ball animation. I think it's a hold as well as spike damage.
    edited September 2015
    I have to say, this event mainly enforces the need to block (in most cases) and frankly I think that is a good thing.

The only issue I have is what guyhumual says "I hate dying without knowing why". The main reason I die is because I don't pay attention and block attacks. This happens because when there are loads of players around as well as FX, it is difficult to see exactly who the Mega D is targeting with:

-Giant Micro Munitions (20k Crushing base)
    -Giant Shoulder Launcher (20k Crushing base)
    -"Mega Destroid Scream (or whatever this attack is called)" (20k Sonic base)
    -Electrical Hold (15k base? not sure on this one)
    -Giant Fireball (15k base? not sure on this one)

And of course:

-Double Mega Destroid Destroyer Waves (20k Particle Base per wave) for when Mega D's feel like synchronising their attacks.

It would benefit from having better tells, because currently staying alive is mostly about positioning, paying attention to two Mega D's attack cycles, HP and your ability to block.

I've run the event successfully (depending on your definition of success) on my main who has low defence, 5k HP and a passive which doesn't work correctly at all (only 1/3rd of the passive is working, the other two thirds are offline) and I've managed to score pretty well (based on my circumstances, Top 30 is pretty well IMO), survival is mainly about me making sure I am tracking both, but then again, silly things happen and I die or someone else moves an inch or two forwards when I move back and they take "my damage".

I've said this since the fight first came out, the Mega D event needs to be less concentrated around ONE area that hardly anyone goes to all year round.

To feel like an invasion I would expect it to be something more like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjBbH36KN0U

I'd honestly like to see this event redesigned to be spaced out around the city, but the problem there is that level 60s aren't things you can easily take down even as a level 40, so spacing it out might/likely will cause issues for players who don't want to participate.

If I can I'm going to try running this event in melee range today and see what happens.

Post edited by theravenforce on

It would benefit from having better tells, because currently staying alive is mostly about positioning, paying attention to two Mega D's attack cycles, HP and your ability to block.

I think this particular chunk of your post really illustrates best what's wrong with this event.

Because the event is all about tells, positioning, paying attention, and a player's ability to block... but if they don't have enough HP too often none of that will matter. Maybe damage amounts need to be lowered, maybe ranges need to be shortened... but in the end, we need to make sure that players are being rewarded for blocking and/or maneuvering and that people are not being effectively punished for choosing a low-defense melee or mid-range glass cannon. By this point you people know that I don't use "punished" lightly( i.e. Dark Souls!!!). This event feels like I'm being punished for even thinking of showing up with a non-tank melee or mid-range glass cannon. This coming from the person who is usually at the front of the line to proclaim "But I'm fine in this situation that everyone else is complaining about".

Give me a video of how my glass cannon melees can survive this without sacrificing my customization and I'll be happily satisfied... until then, all this event gets out of me is this: >:C
  • xydaxydaxydaxyda Posts: 817 Arc User
    When you fall down you get back up and get back into the fight asap. That is what a real hero would do.

But dying doesn't bother me much and I always manage to do pretty good in this event... so feel free to disregard my comment and resume the hatefest.
    edited September 2015
    I used Echo stick(the crappy legacy device ) on one of the Mega destroids. It fell over. It was weird, didn't work on mechanon

I'm using one of my ranged supports.
    lightning arc, lightning storm, electric form.
    heal me, heal other, res me, res other.
    block and dodge.​​

• zemmaxzemmax Posts: 295 Arc User
    I killed em destroids around the ren center to get the 300% resistance devices and they work too. IT drops their damage significantly. On my Soldier AT, their Eyebeams went from 1000dps to 200dps. (also decreased their hueg blast damage too).

Tho I can't stay near the megas anyway :D I snipe em from the distance.​​
  • gaarafrednorrispgaarafrednorrisp Posts: 504 Arc User
    zemmax said:

I killed em destroids around the ren center to get the 300% resistance devices and they work too. IT drops their damage significantly. On my Soldier AT, their Eyebeams went from 1000dps to 200dps. (also decreased their hueg blast damage too).

Tho I can't stay near the megas anyway :D I snipe em from the distance.​​

...I just realized that might be the problem. No one else is probably doing this because they either don't know or it'd "take too long" to farm up Surge Protectors.
    AWWWW CHAMPIONS UNIVERSE! DON'T YOU DARE. BE SOUR. CLAP FOR YOUR NIGHTMARE AND FEEEEEEEEEEEL THE POWAAAAAAH!
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    Destrium beam emitters should make you immune to the big burst attacks (I couldn't be bothered to test), though they do nothing against other attacks. They'd be a pain to actually use, though, as they don't last very long.
    edited September 2015
    Oh I knew about the surge protectors, good for sonic and partial damage, I usually have one on me, the problem is they're good for 3 minutes and the original Doctor Destroyer event lasts 8 to 9 minutes and the mechanon mission lasts 12 minutes or so. It's great if you're a sniper or ranged attacker and you can click on the item if you're attacked by the eye beams, but that surge protector just isn't going to cut it in melee unless your tray is filled up with them.