test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Extra-Life Player Rewards

ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
edited September 2015 in Champions Online Discussion

It’s a privilege to say that Perfect World Entertainment is taking part in this year's ExtraLife Gaming Charity Event benefiting the Children's Hospital Network. On October 25th, we’ll be livestreaming Champions Online and other games to help raise money for hospitals to research childhood diseases, pay for children’s medical bills, and purchase equipment.

We’ve set up a donation page here, and we hope you’ll consider helping us support this great cause. I'm going to be streaming Champions from 10am until noon, Pacific time, on 10/25. The total goal (for both 10/25 and 11/1) is $10,000, but I've got a hunch we can beat that.

Donation Page

On a personal level, Extra Life has a little more meaning to me this year. A very good friend of mine was diagnosed with heart problems that may keep her from having children of her own, and my cousin is about to bring his son home for the first time, born a month early but healthy and happy because of modern medical technology.

Things like that make you start thinking about what kind of world you want to be your legacy, and I’m going to be donating at least $100 to Extra Life. We’re the opening act for the marathon, running from 10am PDT until noon. There’s something poetic about kicking this all off with superheroes, and I hope you’ll join me and the rest of the team in making a better world, one child at a time.

--

Superheroes deserve thank-you rewards, so we’re happy to support Extra Life by giving donators some nice perks. If you make a donation to our donation page, make sure to note your @handle and that you want Champions rewards, and we’ll work on getting you the rewards below a few days after the livestream. (Comments like that with your donation are private, only we will see them.)

(Note: You can donate any amount, you aren't restricted to the tiers below.)

We’ve lined up some exclusive rewards for this, like the never-before-seen Defender Grav Bike, plus prints of the Steel Crusade splash art. If you’re a huge fan of costume pieces and vehicles, we’re also making available all of the Timewarp Lockbox top prizes.

Donation tiers:

$50: “Hospital Hero” custom title on the forums.

$100: Above + the Iris Irregular and LordGar and Meatiator action figures. We’ll also make a print of the Steel Crusade splash art, signed by the artist, and ship it to you. (US addresses only, unfortunately.)

$500: Above + all the costume pieces and vehicles from the Timewarp Lockbox.

$1337: Above + the Defender Grav Bike, a brand-new vehicle.

We’ll also do giveaways after the stream for everyone who helped us support Extra Life, in recognition of all the good that we accomplished. Everyone who donated for CO during the stream will be entered in the giveaway. We’ll be giving away three each of the Iris Irregular, LordGar and Meatiator AFs if we hit 50% of our goal, four each if we hit 75%, and five each if we hit 100%. (If you already have one, you can give it to a friend.)

Donation Page

Defender's Grav Bike:

98942b7b3d8736f46ee3028db4777a8a1413939489.png

So this is the original Ad from about a year ago. So where do I start...I won't go into why it's important to donate because I do and did before this was offered but when a business promises rewards, they should deliver. Champions Online has not delivered on their end of the bargain, in fact...they did not even have the prizes available that they were offering.

Any updates on player rewards?

This was the first of many requests for an update that I made, the first dated December 2014. If you notice that the POWERS THAT BE never volunteered information to us, it was constantly requested by the players.

Then we got an update that there were some snags...and Trail Turtle gave us an update.

All the AFs and the Timewarp rewards are in the queue, and the Hospital Hero title is set up. The Meatiator AF hit some setbacks, so until that's ready (January) we're hooking people up with the Iris Irregular and LordGar AFs until then. I'm verifying that everything is good with the print before I start emailing people asking for a US address to ship to.

Thanks everyone for your patience, and helping us do some good in the world. Happy holidays, folks.

Now at this point I will tell you, I donated $100 which would of been the forum title, the three AF's and the signed print. I already had Iris AF and Lord Gar..so honestly I was paying $100 for a silly forum title and Meatiator AF and print. Now let me be honest here...I could care less about Action-Figures and planned to give my Iris & Gar AF away anyways. So at this point I had a forum title...big deal, but I had one. Look at the forums now....they took that away about 6months later. So now I am back to owning 2 out of 3 AF (the two I already owned before the charity.)

Update please.

The Meatiator AF?

Iris & Lord Gar AF? If you have these can you donate to someone else?

Signed Print?

Another month...no updates.

Then in another thread I happen to catch Trail Turtle saying this:

AFs are super easy, yeah.

How is it that in a years time...these "Super Easy" Action-Figured are not done yet? We don't even have the same team either...And is Trail Turtle here too? I doubt it.

And signed print? Is your in house artist even there? Or is some random Dev just going to scribble on them?

I have been a huge supporter of Champions Online and I encourage a Dev to just look at my billing history. However, Extra-Life (which should of been a positive thing) has left a horrible taste in my mouth and I refuse to ever spend another dime to Cryptic again. The powers that be should be ashamed of how poorly they handled this charity.

Please use my experience and NEVER trust Cryptic and NEVER donate through them for Extra-Life.

Post edited by ealford1985 on

Comments

• thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Posts: 447 Arc User
    One the one hand, the donation goes to a good cause, so you should still be happy that you donated regardless of whether you get your video game stuff or not. On the other hand, Cryptic needs to stop making excuses and fulfill whatever terms they said they would in a timely manner.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • somebobsomebob Posts: 980 Arc User
    They completely totally failed the Extra Life stuff over on STO's side of things too according to their forums. No idea on NW. I'm assuming it went just as well.​​
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    So, you didn't actually want to donate to a worthy cause, you just wanted to buy some stuff?
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    jonsills said:

So, you didn't actually want to donate to a worthy cause, you just wanted to buy some stuff?

Yes Jon...That is why my first sentence says, "I won't go into why it's important to donate because I do and did before this was offered but when a business promises rewards, they should deliver."

If it was not for Champions Online, I would not have donated to Extra-Life, I wanted to support this game. It's no one business why I donated but I will tell you this since it clearly obvious the whole it's charity thing will come into question every time, I donate every month...and it's way more than $100.

It doesn't matter what if the reason was because I "wanted to buy some stuff", Cryptic said..Give us X and we will give you Y. PLAIN and SIMPLE.
    jonsills said:

There are 2 completely separate issues here:

1) The motives for charitable giving.

2) Cryptic honoring whatever terms they agreed to.

Regardless of whatever motives someone had when donating to this charity, that does not excuse or invalidate Cryptic from honoring whatever terms they agreed to.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • orangeitisorangeitis Posts: 227 Arc User
    So let me get this straight. You are telling everyone not to donate to a charity because they didn't give you an in-game title?

Yeah, no.
    edited September 2015

So let me get this straight. You are telling everyone not to donate to a charity because they didn't give you an in-game title?

Yeah, no.

Did you even read?

I love how people can just make up quotes. I said...."NEVER trust Cryptic and NEVER donate through them for Extra-Life."

Nowhere did I say "don't donate" to charity, by all means donate to Extra-Life, just not through Cryptic. I don't even care about the rewards (seeing how I already half of them.) A business should have certain principles and explaining why a company should honor their word shouldn't have to be argued about.
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,428 Arc User
    The take away from all this is don't donate to charities through PWE and expect anything in return. Make the donation to the charity directly and move on. If PWE does another of these charity things in CO that's the time to post these warnings so that the uniformed will know better than to expect the promised acknowledgement.​​
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • serpinecohserpinecoh Posts: 353 Arc User
    edited September 2015

I don't even care about the rewards (seeing how I already half of them.)

I still care about the rewards. If I can't have my forum title anymore I at least want the stupid print. It still bothers me how that turned into a non-starter. A kickstarter I backed for a print of a big poster of dogs playing D&D started, funded, and fulfilled, all within a few months so it can't be that difficult an achievement. And its not like there could have even been that many of us donating at the $100 level considering the final total...
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    Considering that Cryptic did the whole thing just to get the charity some money, I find the OP rather distasteful. Yes yes, you made sure to say "Charity good, Cryptic bad!" but you're still ultimately throwing a fit because you never got your digital doll.
    spinnytop said:

Considering that Cryptic did the whole thing just to get the charity some money, I find the OP rather distasteful. Yes yes, you made sure to say "Charity good, Cryptic bad!" but you're still ultimately throwing a fit because you never got your digital doll.

It was definitely a bad choice of thread title, IMO. The extra life charity is not a scam, but it sounds like Cryptic is also not fulfilling their end of the deal.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • carrionbaggagecarrionbaggage Posts: 721 Community Moderator
    I changed the thread title. While I agree that the OP has cause for complaint, I don't think it's fair to imply intentional deception from Cryptic. The original title could have also been interpreted as an accusation directed at the charity itself, which I don't think was the OP's intention.

If the OP would prefer a different title, please let me know.
    spinnytop said:

After a year of zero effort by Cryptic, I have every right to throw a fit. I have already stated I could care less about the AF (I don't even know what Meatiator looks like) and the print (which isn't digital) I see almost every day when I log on to CO. My point and the same point I have been making is Cryptic should be held accountable for making false promises to it's players. If demanding a company follow through on their agreement is "distasteful" then, yep.

It was definitely a bad choice of thread title, IMO. The extra life charity is not a scam, but it sounds like Cryptic is also not fulfilling their end of the deal.

I changed the thread title. While I agree that the OP has cause for complaint, I don't think it's fair to imply intentional deception from Cryptic. The original title could have also been interpreted as an accusation directed at the charity itself, which I don't think was the OP's intention.

If the OP would prefer a different title, please let me know.

I disagree. It could be read as I'm saying Extra-Life is a scam but i'm referring the Cryptic's Extra-Life Scam...I guess I could of called it "The Extra-Life False Promise made by PWI"

At least this will warn new players to not use Extra-Life through Cryptic.
    edited September 2015
    spinnytop said:

Considering that Cryptic did the whole thing just to get the charity some money, I find the OP rather distasteful.

Cryptic could have just said "can you all be nice and donate to this charity we like" and offered absolutely nothing in return. Then nobody would be unhappy *except* the charity which would have gotten less money.

I feel absolutely no guilt in saying that if rewards were not offered, I would not have considered donating. On the other hand, I would have never paid $100 for the few items offered if the money wasn't going to a good cause. Does the former make me a bad person undeserving of what was promised? Does the latter balance out my lack of generous spirit?

Regardless of whether I'm selfish scum, a business promised specific rewards including a physical item for a specified payment level and has not fully delivered.
  • quasimojo1quasimojo1 Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    Cryptic/PWE did likely receive some promotional/PR value from their participation campaign, and I don't know if it rises to the level of fraud, but it's still pretty shameful on Cryptic/PWE's part.

The OP and other participants have every reason to bring attention to the facts of the matter. They apparently made a significant donation to a charity, and have been more patient than most would have been after waiting almost a year for Cryptic/PWE to follow through on their promises. The unnecessary attacks on the OP are probably the most distasteful part of this thread; it really shows how surly and cannibalistic some elements of this community can be.
    LTS since 2009. Author of ACT parser module for CO. Founder of Rampagers. Resident curmudgeon.

"Without data, you're just another person with an opinion." -- W. Edwards Deming
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    I think ealford has every right to make his unhappiness known if Cryptic didn't honor the deal fully.

Whatever motive(s) involved in his donation is irrelevant. If Cryptic has promised rewards as thanks for the donation then the content of those rewards should be handed out in full. Criticizing someone for not donating purely out of selflessness is just an act of taking up the moral high ground.
  • reiwulfreiwulf Posts: 442 Arc User
    I agree, the op never mentioned to not donate to the charity, but cryptic made a promise it didn't keep. for it not being fixed im over a year is ridiculous.
    natesig.jpg

• jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    Equally ridiculous, however, has been Ealford's insistence on trying to hijack any thread a dev might possibly post in with his repeated complaints. If he'd started with this thread, I might have more sympathy.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    The devs haven't even provided commentary regarding this issue in the original Extra-Life thread since Dec 2014. Ealford likely wouldn't be bringing up the topic in other threads, or even have created this one, if a dialogue in that proper venue seemed at all effective.
    edited September 2015
    jonsills said:

Equally ridiculous, however, has been Ealford's insistence on trying to hijack any thread a dev might possibly post in with his repeated complaints. If he'd started with this thread, I might have more sympathy.

What ever helps you justify yourself by insulting me. I'll do your job for you and I'll show every comment I ever made that wasn't in the Extra-Life Thread. Because we all know..no one ever tries to communicate about skipped issues...NEVER EVER. Always on topic we are...

How about the Extra Life scam? That is how much I trust CO.

Posted July 22nd

What about the Extra Life scam?

You guys owe me a forum title, signed art, & a action figure.

Posted July 23rd

so how about that Extra-life scam?

Posted July 28

Sigh....I have no idea.

They do a lot of stuff that blows my mind. Like offering rewards for donations and not giving out those rewards.

Posted August 16

I'll be impressed if I get some sort of answer about Extra-Life rewards. I guess honoring year old charity aren't important.

Posted August 24

So After 9 months I started to get frustrated and tried to get an answer and made 5 comments...yep, total hijack of forums. Got anything else you care to share Jon?
  • neuraldamageneuraldamage Posts: 590 Arc User
    Your first mistake; trusting Cryptic with anything they promise. Their track record over the last 6 year at following through on their promises is sketchy at best. Pathetic would probably be a better description.

Your second mistake; coming here to these fine upstanding citizens looking for sympathy and anything other than mockery. You'd have better luck getting Cryptic to pony up.

Sorry, but you'd probably better chalk this one up to an expensive lesson learned unless you enjoy abuse. :s

People are broken. - Lum the Mad
  • crypticarkaynecrypticarkayne Posts: 182 Cryptic Developer
    Hey folks,

Wanted to give you an update on the Extra Life Rewards. The Meatiator Action Figure should already be granted to the receiving players. We got the posters printed, shipped to the original artist to sign, and recently got them back. We've shipped out the final signed posters to about a half-dozen of the winners and are trying to contact the rest.

Thanks again for participating and we apologize for the long delay. The studio transition caused a lots of hiccups and back-logs, and this was unfortunately one of them.
    edited November 2015

Hey folks,

Wanted to give you an update on the Extra Life Rewards. The Meatiator Action Figure should already be granted to the receiving players. We got the posters printed, shipped to the original artist to sign, and recently got them back. We've shipped out the final signed posters to about a half-dozen of the winners and are trying to contact the rest.

Thanks again for participating and we apologize for the long delay. The studio transition caused a lots of hiccups and back-logs, and this was unfortunately one of them.

@crypticarkayne
    The Action-Figure has not been sent.

photo Champions Online_2015-11-14_12-59-17.png
    photo Champions Online_2015-11-14_12-59-29.png

I'll poke the community/marketing folks again. If you've been in contact with them already, please note to them you're missing your AF.

I'll poke the community/marketing folks again. If you've been in contact with them already, please note to them you're missing your AF.
    @crypticarkayne

I was contacted prior to this by the communication manager, Alex (?)

He was under the impression they were already sent out. However, I will unfortunately be unable to check my account until the weekend, if all goes as planned.

I was contacted prior to this by the communication manager, Alex (?)

He was under the impression they were already sent out. However, I will unfortunately be unable to check my account until the weekend, if all goes as planned.

Yup, we're double-checking with them. The Meatiator AF should be good to go, just a matter of getting the unlocks to the right folks.
  • eiledoneiledon Posts: 1,287 Arc User
    @crypticarkayne , does this mean the winners of the costume design contest who are also awaiting their meatiator figure should be getting them soon?​​
    edited November 2015
    @crypticarkayne

Iris Irregular Action-Figure: check
    Lord Gar Action-Figure: check
    Meatiator Action-Figure: check
    Signed print: uncheck PENDING
    Forum Title: Uncheck

The Meatiator AF is pretty awesome looking, he has such MEATS to show you! I think @eiledon took a screenshot. I am bummed I couldn't get a custom one but I am very grateful you guys are living up to your end up the bargain. It really is unfair that the new teams had to fix issues because the old team dropped the ball, but I am very appreciative.

It really is unfair that the new teams had to fix issues because the old team dropped the ball, but I am very appreciative.

So it's not a scam anymore? Glad that's finally cleared up :)

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg

It really is unfair that the new teams had to fix issues because the old team dropped the ball, but I am very appreciative.

So it's not a scam anymore? Glad that's finally cleared up :)
    The squeaky wheel gets the grease, unfortunately.