test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I WON!!!

It was July of last year and we were pretty much done Steel Crusade six ways into Sunday already.

Then, it happened: An LTS sale... the first one I've seen since I started playing this game, and two years ago there were still no plans in motion to fully standarize CO's events with STO's in order to require even less people to operate this game, so this could only mean the game was in trouble and needed to increase its net value at any cost.

After consulting with a friend who has worked in the industry, I decided to take on the LTS offer as a bet. All executive decisions are made two business quarters in advance, and game sunsets usually have the etiquette of being announced one business quarter before pulling the plug, so I purchased a LTS betting on the game lasting long enough to at least give me my money's worth (the cost of two years of gold status). I was lenient, though, and decided to call it even if CO took at least 1.5 years in croaking.

So, we're already in Agust of 2015 and sunset hasn't been announced yet, so saying it's announced in December to take effect in Q1 2016, I have officially broke even, and from this point on it's all gravy for me!

So, I lucked out in CO's Russian Roulette... just don't try it yourself it now, the gun is almost fully loaded by now, and you're playing against a gunman who recently moved to Cayman Island and is not above just shooting you himself in order to cut the game short.

Comments

• championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    Eh? I doubt Cryptic plans to sunset Champions. Unlike most MMOs, there is no license fee, since they own the IP lock, stock and barrel, and the actual cost of keeping the server up is moot really since pretty much all their games run off the same server basically. While I seriously doubt CO shutting down would seriously impact their revenue stream, I don't think they plan to shut it down for a bit.

Though if they have plans to really take the game anywhere remains to be seen.​​
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    Uh.... ok.

No, Champions isn't dying. Could you, maybe, not try to persuade people to overlook the benefits of LTS?
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    foxyperson wrote: »
    So, I lucked out in CO's Russian Roulette... just don't try it yourself it now

Oh, fuff.

1384833720058.gif
    biffsig.jpg
  • dialamxdialamx Posts: 931 Arc User
    Well I, personally, suggest anyone considering getting a LTS to do it. I got it way early in CO's life, and I'm glad I did. It has paid off in spades for me. I don't feel guilty taking breaks when I need to, and I love knowing the game is always here when the urge comes back. Plus the access to freeform, extra costume pieces, and the monthly stipend are great!
  • nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    Well that sounds like a fun gamble, but isn't the real challenge staying interested and having fun more than the life of the product?

This thing could last for a thousand years but if I'm not interested, well, it basically stops existing in my fold of reality.
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    You didn't actually win anything. You didn't "break even" either. Breaking even when it comes to some sort of monetary investment means that you have gotten back the same amount of money that you have used. In this case you didn't, you're just reaping the benefit that comes with LTS after paying up an amount of money equivalent to how many months worth of regular gold in terms of cost with regards to the LTS sale price.

All you could really boast is that you took a leap of faith and the results are positive according to your expectations.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    I got an LTS about a year ago or so, at full price. Haven't regretted a moment of it; been having loads of fun with all the toons I can make and all the costumes and costume bits I get. I encourage anyone who can take advantage of this sale to do so.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • cynicoolcynicool Posts: 160 Arc User
    The things I like about my LTS is that I've gotten it long enough ago that I would have payed more in subscriptions if I hadn't signed up and that I no longer have that feeling of obligation where I think "I'm paying for it so I have to play."

It's paid for. I can pick it up when I want. Or not.​​
    10dsf81.png
  • violetnychusvioletnychus Posts: 136 Arc User
    dialamx wrote: »
    Well I, personally, suggest anyone considering getting a LTS to do it. I got it way early in CO's life, and I'm glad I did. It has paid off in spades for me. I don't feel guilty taking breaks when I need to, and I love knowing the game is always here when the urge comes back. Plus the access to freeform, extra costume pieces, and the monthly stipend are great!

Agree
  • decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    The only thing that keeps me a regular subscriber instead of LTS is never having a couple of hundred bucks to spare at once. And that's my issue, not the game's.
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    screw tact on this one.
    It was July of last year and we were pretty much done Steel Crusade six ways into Sunday already.

Then, it happened: An LTS sale... the first one I've seen since I started playing this game, and two years ago there were still no plans in motion to fully standardize CO's events with STO's in order to require even less people to operate this game, so this could only mean the game was in trouble and needed to increase its net value at any cost.or that a lot of people had been harassing out Community Manager who is also assistant product manager about how come we don't get any LTS sales and STO gets them 3 times a year.
    WE also started getting the weekly sales last year after a few(blatant) hints like" IF we had weekly sales like the other 2 games, you could sell more."

next: why would they spend a lot of time standardizing CO's events to STO's, that would require them to do a lot of work for no material gains . STO's events are bigger, longer and have better prizes.
    They also run on 2 different games and would require 2 different sets of files, so it's unlikely they could standardize them.

After consulting with a friend who has worked in the industry, I decided to take on the LTS offer as a bet.a bet with who? All executive decisions are made two business quarters in advance, and game sunsets usually have the etiquette of being announced one business quarter before pulling the plug, so I purchased a LTS betting on the game lasting long enough to at least give me my money's worth (the cost of two years of gold status). I was lenient, though, and decided to call it even if CO took at least 1.5 years in croaking.

So, we're already in Agust of 2015 and sunset hasn't been announced yet, so saying it's announced in December to take effect in Q1 2016, Isn't that when the vaporware is supposed to be out or is that 2017 now?I have officially broke even, and from this point on it's all gravy for me!

So, I lucked outand there we have it, CO didn't get closed, so you consider you lost. in CO's Russian Roulette... just don't try it yourself it now,because you don't want people to spend any money on the game the gun is almost fully loaded by now, on what information?and you're playing against a gunman who recently moved to Cayman Islandfor Tax purposes, as do a lot of businesses and is not above just shooting you himselfso you know him personally or you normally slander people you don't know? and what information do you have to prove that is what the Original owner(the buyer) intends? in order to cut the game short.

​​
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• windupduckwindupduck Posts: 52 Arc User
    So, I lucked out in CO's Russian Roulette... just don't try it yourself it now
    Oh, fuff.

My sentiments exactly!
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    Apparently, reorganizing in the Caymans is (at least for now) a status symbol among Chinese businessmen; it means you're doing well enough that you need to shelter your money from the government. It's a tax haven, not a Nigerian-scam stronghold.​​
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    I went LTS when I heard about New Telepathy being thought about and soon ending up on the PTS. Since I went LTS, I haven't had much reason to regret it, in fact with the fixes and additions coming to CO, even though it's somewhat late, I am incredibly appreciative of them and I haven't seen anything to say CO will suddenly sink, if anything it looks like it's on it's way up out of the depths and sailing towards something a whole lot better...and that's a good thing in my books.