test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is anyone here running CO on Windows 10?

Or, more importantly can it run on 10?

Comments

• championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    Yes. It runs on Win 7 or Win 8 and Win 8.1 it will run on Win 10.

The only thing I am curious about is if Cryptic plans to utilize DirectX12 or not.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    Yes. It runs on 10. Lots of things that ran on 8/8.1 can be expected to run on 10 especially.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
    Yep gaming works better on win 8/8.1, and from everything I've read the performance improvement on Win 10 is even better.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    Huh, that's really good to hear.
    biffsig.jpg
    As I said, my big interest isn't so much that Champs will work with Win 10, I already know it will, been using Win8 since launch and it improved game times significantly. My big interest is if Cryptic plans to utilize DirectX12 which is suppose to have the capability to increase draw calls by nearly 10 times if used properly with some games, and actually allow developers better control over directx components and make direct use of GPU hardware.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • gtw891gtw891 Posts: 115 Arc User
    K. Thanks for the info. I feel better about reserving it now.
  • sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    I was running the preview builds from the fast update channel. Some of the early builds were too buggy for CO, but now that it's getting close to release, it runs great.
    As I said, my big interest isn't so much that Champs will work with Win 10, I already know it will, been using Win8 since launch and it improved game times significantly. My big interest is if Cryptic plans to utilize DirectX12 which is suppose to have the capability to increase draw calls by nearly 10 times if used properly with some games, and actually allow developers better control over directx components and make direct use of GPU hardware.

Given how Neverwinter runs on the Xbox One, I think they just ported the DirectX 11 code, because it's a bit of a dog from all reports. DirectX 11 is an option on Xbox One, but it cripples the performance over the native API, which is more or less DirectX 12. I would hope Cryptic invests in DX12 if only to get that straightened out.
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    not until July 29 in my case, when I get the free update.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• gtw891gtw891 Posts: 115 Arc User
    chaelk wrote: »

Same here. But I wanted to know if it works on CO (among other things) before I reserved it
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    but if it's out in a month, how will anyone know if it works on it. When nobody has it to check.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

edited June 2015
    gtw891 wrote: »
    chaelk wrote: »

Same here. But I wanted to know if it works on CO (among other things) before I reserved it

Reserve it. It's free. If you don't like it you can always go back to a previous windows.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS