test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Pwi forum migration to vanilla

rawynnrawynn Posts: 42 Arc User

As of  May 4, pwi forums are going to be found here and not at there long standing site.

There have been many concerns being expressed on our current forums. Namely, the loss of ALOT of long standing created info, stickies, guides and well, so many other items too numerous to mention.  A lot of this information has taken hours to create, not to mention some of the creators of said things are no longer participants of PWI.

From how things have been presented so far, as of may 4 we will be losing this info as the old forums are being retired in favor of merging them here.  To whomever is going to be setting up our (PWI) forums here....

1. if you haven't already, you need to go over to our current forum site and take note of all the stickied info, guides. etc.

2. make yourselves know over there and take the time to find out what we would like to have brought over to our new forum home

3. consider allowing players and forum mods both to be able to use there knowledge and transfer what need to be moved over here.. player guides, dungeon guides , ini editing info,etc.....

4. be prepared .... on this all I can says is, when PWI comes over here, so does a lot of long standing history; good, bad and well some things that are just beyond any definition of ugly. then there is the player base, most don't post in forums, but the ones that do can be creative, helpful , and well... if something isn't right...let's just say things tend to get a tad bit vocal.

5. be honest with us, and maintain an open line of communication.  if someone asks something regardless of what it is and you don't know the answer, then tell us as such.

While some of what I have posted might make it look like I coming off as a bit of a jerk,  we have had in the past couple of years a lot of thing changed that well...have not been well received or even at times wanted. 

When it is time for us to come over and be added here, PLEASE DO IT RIGHT...

7GNOisE.gif?1

Comments

• gulberatgulberat Posts: 400 Arc User
    Hello from Star Trek Online.  I had been under the impression from our CM that the contents of our forum would be migrated over to these forums and that we would not be losing our information.  I am still backing everything up, but were you told otherwise at PWI?  :(

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • nrglgnrglg Posts: 347 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    No, but Arc/PWE has a history of doing things the wrong way with the PWI community. It's rubbed off on everyone in a bad way. So when we heard about this merger, everyone's first thought was that they'd mess up while doing it. If that doesn't show you how the community feels, I don't know what will.

In case I wasn't clear: Essentially the PWI community sees PWE as incompetent and/or uncaring about PWI. 

GAME FORUMS (Direct Link & Arc Frame)
    Hub | Arc | PWI | FW | NW | STO | SO | BLR | JD | BOI | CO | WOI
    Forum Enhancements and Visual Improvements
    (Greasemonkey/Tampermonkey and/or Stylish required)
    PWI vBulletin Forum Data Dumps and Backups
    I won't lie, the STO community has had a rocky relationship with some of its staff and devs as well, but I would rather wait until I see what happens.  I am not always perfect at it, but I try to make sure I'm focused on facts and incidents rather than on the people.

Still won't stop me from backing up a couple of items of mine that I would be upset if I lost, but that's just smart to do anyway. ;)

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • sylenthundersylenthunder Posts: 256 Community Moderator
    nrglg said:
    No, but Arc/PWE has a history of doing things the wrong way with the PWI community. It's rubbed off on everyone in a bad way. So when we heard about this merger, everyone's first thought was that they'd mess up while doing it. If that doesn't show you how the community feels, I don't know what will.

In case I wasn't clear: Essentially the PWI community sees PWE as incompetent and/or uncaring about PWI. 
    Nah, I see PWE as being mostly incompetent at everything. I've never seen so many half-assed projects in my life come from one company.
    edited May 2015
    I've had a number of half-assed projects...but oh, I'm not a company I suppose.

Edit: I'd like to change my wording. Not really half-assed, more like incomplete. I never don't put lots of effort into something, I just don't necessarily follow through to completion.

• opkossyopkossy Posts: 11,177 Community Moderator
    Remember Core Connect (beta)?  Remember Core Client?  Remember.... ah screw it the list is too big even if I only commented on stuff involving core.

Long story short, we've had a very strained relationship with PWE over the past close to 7 years.  To a point where whenever they claim they'll do something, most of the community considers it common sense to expect it to be horrendously broken, late, half-done, poorly done, or some combination of all the above.  The sad thing, of course, being that they're entirely justified to adapt that belief based on past experiences.

We'll see how time goes for this migration as well.  As the saying goes, hope for the best but prepare for the worst.
    (Insert fancy image here)
    We've definitely had problems with buggy or seriously flawed releases and things that didn't come through on the STO side, too.  In that regard I definitely understand where you guys are coming from. That said, we also have some cool individuals on our staff, and...it's not butt-kissing.  I just can't bring myself to dump on them as people.  I get the impression our new EP on the Cryptic side is trying, and I know some of our devs put in the effort, but I don't know yet a) how much he can do about the mess he's inherited or b) how much pushback he gets from upstairs on the PWE side about stuff.  Of course, this isn't exactly something our EP would have any control over at all, and I also would doubt the decision was made at our CMs' levels, so we'll have to wait and see.

• opkossyopkossy Posts: 11,177 Community Moderator
    I think perhaps we're not being quite clear on the matter.  When we talk about the experience PWI's community has had with PWE, we don't mean with individual staff members so much as the company as a whole.  We've had some incredibly awesome CMs and staff that are remembered extremely fondly and that no one could ever be negative about without the entirety of the community rising to the defense.  In fact, there are very few staff members we openly dislike, even when we crack jokes about some of the staff.  Heck, we referred one of our favorite CMs as, "Hey, You!" if that's any indication of how we'll tease the ones we like.

When it comes to PWE as a whole, on the other hand, it's a completely different story.  Things like being very aware of how much they stretch their staff thin, the hoops and ladders the ones we get to interact with have to jump through to get even the smallest changes to occur, the fact that PWE has blatantly lied to us on multiple occasions, and so on are the things that have heavily strained the faith PWI has in the company.  In essence, even if we like the staff members themselves,  members of PWI would put on heavy jackets and carry umbrellas if PWE claimed that it was a bright and sunny day outside.
    (Insert fancy image here)
  • cococyacococya Posts: 230 Arc User
    Also, please remember that STO is in Cryptic's portfolio, and even though they were bought off by PWE, they still have a different history and surprisingly a good deal of independence, in regards to DEV, GM, CM and other staff interactions. I've also noticed this trend on NW's forums, much the same rules in regard to forum etiquette you've mentioned on another thread and a different take on CM-playerbase relation. 

ladybeard-crossdressing-wrestler-death-metal-singer-05.jpg
  • rawynnrawynn Posts: 42 Arc User
    well, I guess that we are going to find out very soon what we (pwi) are going to have for a forum set up here.
    I have been reading on our soon to be closed forums about certain issues that individuals that know about how this new forum home works are finding already. some issue with signatures and there alignment?, some reference about class attribute?, not sure what that's about, and something about having "free roaming HTML " However i'm at this point, am just going to have to wait and see how things convert over here when our forums section is opened.
    7GNOisE.gif?1
    edited May 2015
    Right now the migration is on hold until the CM's give it the go-ahead. I know they are still looking at various things and at least our CM recently posted that she won't let it go forward until she is fully satisfied with the state of things.

rawynn said:
    I have been reading on our soon to be closed forums about certain issues that individuals that know about how this new forum home works are finding already. some issue with signatures and there alignment?, some reference about class attribute?, not sure what that's about, and something about having "free roaming HTML " However i'm at this point, am just going to have to wait and see how things convert over here when our forums section is opened.

Is this what people who don't understand this stuff are reading? That's not good. Since you seem a bit confused, let me clarify what's happening. At the moment, due to flaws in the system, you can insert webpage code directly into the thread's posts and signatures, as well as profiles. This is allowing for people to do things they weren't supposed to be able to do. For instance, I covered up my name and avatar as well as any ability to click on this or any other post I've made. This is just a small example of the problem. They are attempting to fix it and have sort-of solved part of the problem. However, there are still other problems. Basically, we're playing the waiting game to see what they will do.

• xtern1tyxtern1ty Posts: 864 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    > @rawynn said:
    >
    >
    > I have been reading on our soon to be closed forums about certain issues that individuals that know about how this new forum home works are finding already...
    >
    >
    > @nrglg said:
    >
    > Is this what people who don't understand this stuff are reading? That's not good...

That's the trickle down effect for you and it tends to happen. Those posting 3 levels down barely dealt with the issues themselves if at all and likely have rudimentary knowledge of the topic. They just relaying info picked up from a source; info which gets more lossy and/or embellished after each retelling. Eventually mods get a glimpse and may relay the watered down info to the devs, who can try to duplicate the issue in order to fix it but may not find anything and assume there's no problem. Meanwhile, the original problem remains unfixed.

Thank goodness some devs like @pwlaughingtrendy get on directly and see things for themselves.

A good rule to use when relaying info from others is to either quote or provide a link, sometimes both; to the source. That way those who know like @nrglg don't have to keep repeating themselves. I've used them so long I tend to take those habits for granted but if I'm the one finding something, I like to include pictures and/or use numbered steps to describe as elementary as possible how to find or fix (because the non-visual nature of forum interaction forces us to presume what's the intelligence level of Fleek Fougazie... ).

Fleek Fougazie knew what feet were for
    So one day he went to dance on the floor
    The girls went wild and wanted more
    He went all night then felt awful sore
    Till he busted a move and his ankle tore
    Now Fleek Fougazie can dance no more.

http://giphy.com/gifs/dancing-dance-party-clubbing-blSTtZehjAZ8I?utm_source=iframe&utm_medium=embed&utm_campaign=tag_click
    [img][/img]hcSfM9O.gif
  • slingerssslingerss Posts: 33 Arc User
    One bad apple can mess the whole bushel up