Vanilla Incoming Features/Request for Feedback

Comments

• nrglg
    nrglg Posts: 347 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    @yetweallfalldown You mind if I ask if this design is here to stay or if there was an overhaul of the design planned? I've been doing some themes for this design, so I want to know if I'm in for a surprise one day. (not that I mind a surprise, it's just that I'd like to have my mind prepared to jump on it when it happens)​​

GAME FORUMS (Direct Link & Arc Frame)
    Hub | Arc | PWI | FW | NW | STO | SO | BLR | JD | BOI | CO | WOI
    Forum Enhancements and Visual Improvements
    (Greasemonkey/Tampermonkey and/or Stylish required)
    PWI vBulletin Forum Data Dumps and Backups
  • yetweallfalldown
    yetweallfalldown Posts: 20 admin
    nrglg wrote: »
    @yetweallfalldown You mind if I ask if this design is here to stay or if there was an overhaul of the design planned? I've been doing some themes for this design, so I want to know if I'm in for a surprise one day. (not that I mind a surprise, it's just that I'd like to have my mind prepared to jump on it when it happens)​​

We'll probably make modifications to the current design. I don't feel that we are going to do a complete overhaul at this time.
    Communications Manager - Perfect World Entertainment
    Support | YouTube
  • nrglg
    nrglg Posts: 347 Arc User
    Oh, great. Thank you for the prompt response.​​

GAME FORUMS (Direct Link & Arc Frame)
    Forum Enhancements and Visual Improvements
    (Greasemonkey/Tampermonkey and/or Stylish required)
    PWI vBulletin Forum Data Dumps and Backups
  • yetweallfalldown
    nrglg wrote: »
    Oh, great. Thank you for the prompt response.​​

No problem!
    Support | YouTube
  • draogn
    draogn Posts: 572 Arc User
    Using these dysfunctional and hideous forums search feature is an even bigger pain to use then it was on the old forums. When I've tried to use the search, it gives me unrelated topics from all the game forums, even the ones I've hidden.
  • josephdridgeway
    josephdridgeway Posts: 514 Arc User
    Don't know if it's been requested or not, but the ability to subscribe to certain posters would be nice. I know we can subscribe to threads, but say I wanted to follow Tacofangs' (for example) postings. If I could subcribe to him, I would see everytime he posts something.
    Fleet Admiral Joseph D. Ridgeway
    The Armada
    Original join date: Feb 5, 2010
    Twitter: @davejl_99, & @STO_BBArmada
  • khamseenair
    khamseenair Posts: 345 Arc User
    draogn wrote: »
    Using these dysfunctional and hideous forums search feature is an even bigger pain to use then it was on the old forums. When I've tried to use the search, it gives me unrelated topics from all the game forums, even the ones I've hidden.

The search function appears to have been silently updated today, you can now specify the searches by title, author, category, type of post (discussion, poll etc), and date ranges. So it's now much more useful.
    Don't know if it's been requested or not, but the ability to subscribe to certain posters would be nice. I know we can subscribe to threads, but say I wanted to follow Tacofangs' (for example) postings. If I could subcribe to him, I would see everytime he posts something.

I'm hoping that now we have the new search by username, that a Dev Tracker will be on the books shortly again.
    In the mean time, you can use it to search for all posts by any number of named users. I've currently bookmarked a link with this which shows all posts by TacoFangs, Borticus, Trendy, CrypticFrost, and crypticjoejing. I can't recall other dev names off the top of my head but at least this should make things a bit easier for now.
    ​​
    <center>Ciaran%20Sig.jpg
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
    Check my GitHub for details on STO forum themes: https://github.com/khamseen/PWEVan
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!</center>
  • toiva
    toiva Posts: 2,606 Arc User

The search function appears to have been silently updated today, you can now specify the searches by title, author, category, type of post (discussion, poll etc), and date ranges. So it's now much more useful.
    ​​

Huh? Where is this functionality? I'm still only seeing one search window with absolutely no options.

• tehbubbaloo
    tehbubbaloo Posts: 246 Arc User
    toiva wrote: »

Huh? Where is this functionality? I'm still only seeing one search window with absolutely no options.

click the magnifying glass​​
  • primar13
    primar13 Posts: 985 Arc User
  • aesica
    aesica Posts: 11 Arc User
    For me, I think it'd be nice to have:
    • Bigger forum avatars. The current size constraints make both the image and the layout they're contained in look bad.
    • Better contrast between quoted text/boxes/whatever and the rest of a post.
    • This may be just me, but these forums suck to navigate if you like to use a keyboard. On websites, I frequently use home, end, page up, page down, and the up/down arrow keys just because I can get around faster and more accurately than by using a mouse. For whatever reason, I can't do that on these forums until I physically click somewhere on the page. It's annoying and needs to go away.

That's my list, anyway. :)
  • toiva
    toiva Posts: 2,606 Arc User
    edited July 2015

click the magnifying glass​​

Ah, must have missed that. Thanks.

Well that's one great addition.

Btw, any particular reason some people (me included) can't use colored text in signatures? (Note that I can use color in posts just about fine.)

• strach
    strach Posts: 331 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    WHere the hell is mark all forums read? Ah forgot its a gimped forum that even dont have changes to headers and despite paying alot for it its not have changes to logo like vanila :hushed:
    I am patient with stupidity, but not with those who are proud of it

Cheap games real cheap
  • protogoth
    protogoth Posts: 2,260 Arc User
    aesica wrote: »
    Bigger forum avatars. The current size constraints make both the image and the layout they're contained in look bad.

I certainly agree with that. I've found this annoying since the migration, but hadn't thought to include it in my feedback so far (probably because I found other things so much more annoying, but yes, this is definitely worthy of mention).
    Fleets_Banner_2015-05-01_0950.jpg
    Fvillhu s'Tal'Diann -- Praetor of the Tal'Diann/Tal-Diann
    Tal'Diann = KDF-allied Romulan Republic Fleet / Tal-Diann = Fed-allied Romulan Republic Fleet
    ahr'Lleiset mnhei'sahe mnei. Our chief governing passion is Freedom.
    Republic Veteran!!!

I'm still female, so please stop referring to me as "he."
  • gulberat
    gulberat Posts: 400 Arc User
    Is the flagged post queue now working for moderators?

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • captaincelestial
    captaincelestial Posts: 4 Arc User
    STO forum avatars and titles, so those who can't customize a pic can still have one!

STO alien emotes!
    'Today is a popular day to die!
  • asterelle
    asterelle Posts: 368 Arc User
    STO forum avatars and titles, so those who can't customize a pic can still have one!

STO alien emotes!

Do these alien emotes exist somewhere? I can add them to the extension in my signature.
  • gulberat
    edited July 2015
    asterelle wrote: »

STO alien emotes!

Do these alien emotes exist somewhere? I can add them to the extension in my signature.

Back in the day, TrekBBS had Star Trek-themed choices among their emotes. They may still use the same thing now...

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • pwlaughingtrendy
    pwlaughingtrendy Posts: 2,034 Cryptic Developer
    Why look at that? :)
  • eiledon
    eiledon Posts: 228 Arc User
    random change of links to blue text.. on a dark background. what fun... thank god for overwrites ;D​​
  • khamseenair
    Going to need to update a lot of the custom CSS files. Blue/purple text is not your friend. ​​
    <center>Ciaran%20Sig.jpg
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
    Check my GitHub for details on STO forum themes: https://github.com/khamseen/PWEVan
  • yetweallfalldown
    @pwlaughingtrendy is a wizard. We're still making tweaks.
    Support | YouTube
  • khamseenair
    Yeah, I'm undoing a lot of those tweaks already. :tongue:​​
    <center>Ciaran%20Sig.jpg
  • yetweallfalldown

I personally like the changes since it makes things a lot more readable. However, if there are other changes that you'd like to see, please feel free to let us know.
    Support | YouTube
  • eiledon
    eiledon Posts: 228 Arc User
    how does hiding user avatars on discussion list make it more readable exactly? Just wondering aloud..​​
  • khamseenair
    edited July 2015
    Yeah, I'm undoing a lot of those tweaks already. :tongue:

I personally like the changes since it makes things a lot more readable. However, if there are other changes that you'd like to see, please feel free to let us know.

They've been far more readable to me for weeks now. :tongue:

ck22T1u.jpg

2L9uoWc.jpg

Lactn5O.jpg

You guys should check out the enhancement script for some ideas. There are a lot of very nice user created themes in there, even if I do say so myself haha.
    ​​
    <center>Ciaran%20Sig.jpg
  • daveyny
    daveyny Posts: 4,787 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Since I'm not computer savvy enough to handle adding third party stuff to forums, I LUV what Trendy and the Gang has done with todays changes.
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    Star Trek Fan since Sept. 8th, 1966.
    Still a STO Veteran Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • gulberat

As someone not using third-party scripts, I think this is better than where we were before. There are still some weird things--such as YouTube videos not properly being handled as links when coded in as links (particularly in pre-migration posts) and displaying as videos. But overall this seems to be headed in the right direction.

• majortiraomega
    majortiraomega Posts: 2,217 Arc User
    Yeah, I'm undoing a lot of those tweaks already. :tongue:

This thread url="http://perfectworld.vanillaforums.com/discussion/1195098/pwe-forums-enhancement-extension-discussion-and-requests/p1"]LINK[/url outlines a great browser script that was created for these forums. The extension increases the width of the forums dynamically to fit the individual's screen. This is a great feature as currently the forums has a huge 2 inch whitespace border on the left and right side of the screen without the extension. Secondly, the extension adds a link to STO Wiki, to the STO Reddit Subforums, and a Dev Tracker button. This Dev Tracker button autofills all the search parameters with all the dev names to make finding all dev posts very fast.

Furthermore, the extension adds a 2 pixel width colored border to all posts and rotates between Yellow, Blue, Green, Red, and Teal in order to add more contrast between posts. This is so helpful as it makes determining where one post starts and another ends much faster and easier on the eyes. Lastly, I really like how the script appends the game logo to the forums. It makes it quite easy for me to see whether I'm in the STO forums, or neverwinter forums, or general PWE forums. There's also options within the script to add a more customization background to make the forums less bland and more "star trek". This feature is nice, but ultimately non-vital. I think implementation of any of these features would be great.​​
    --->Ground PvP Concerns Directory 4.0
    --->Ground Combat General Bugs Directory
    Real join date: March 2012 / PvP Veteran since May 2012 (Ground and Space)

Categories