Vanilla Incoming Features/Request for Feedback

Comments

• asterelle
    asterelle Posts: 368 Arc User
    Would you guys be interested in using some of the editor improvements I've made?
    Dpwvd6f.gif
  • nrglg
    nrglg Posts: 347 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    I would be interested if I worked for PWE. tiger-4.gif

(A better pitch is needed, maybe something like...)

>> My life was changed because of Asterelle. If not for Asterelle, I would be on the mean streets of the forum alone and scared. Asterelle's extension got me $1.5 million in gratification. Now I'm living in the forum mansions and my life couldn't be better.
    Post edited by nrglg on

GAME FORUMS (Direct Link & Arc Frame)
    Hub | Arc | PWI | FW | NW | STO | SO | BLR | JD | BOI | CO | WOI
    Forum Enhancements and Visual Improvements
    (Greasemonkey/Tampermonkey and/or Stylish required)
    PWI vBulletin Forum Data Dumps and Backups
  • qziqza
    qziqza Posts: 969 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    nrglg wrote: »
    I would be interested if I worked for PWE. tiger-4.gif

(A better pitch is needed, maybe something like...)

>> My life was changed because of Asterelle. If not for Asterelle, I would be on the mean streets of the forum alone and scared. Asterelle's extension got me $1.5 million in gratification. Now I'm living in the forum mansions and my life couldn't be better.
    RylJ3cJ.png?1
    yep, im right there with you.. well not 'right there'.. just a little down the road at forum sea view manor.

tYld1gu.gif?1
    TOS style icons used with the kind permission of irvinis.deviantart.com ©2013-2015
  • eldarth
    eldarth Posts: 4,366 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    nrglg wrote: »
    i request you stop using superfluous !importants and resist inline styling.

No kidding. Yes, please tell the designers to stop using !important in the CSS. You guys have literally no reason to use it since you have a single theme and full creative control.

YES! And also please use/implement @nrglg and @asterelle themes and enhancements:
    nrglg's Forum Visual Mods: https://github.com/Goodlookinguy/pwvnrg
    Asterelle's Forum Editing Mods: https://github.com/asterpw/pwevanillaenhance

• nrglg
    eldarth wrote: »
    YES! And also please use/implement @nrglg and @asterelle themes and enhancements

Only parts of global.fixes.css should be taken, because it covers various usability issues and actual mistakes in their CSS. For the general theme, they should be able to figure out how they want the appearance on their own.

• sov42
    sov42 Posts: 548 Arc User
    sov42 wrote: »
    Also, give Trendy lots of cookies, because she's awesome. :3

Did Trendy tell you about the time that I made her eat habanero chips?

No, but that sounds like a fun story. :p
    Hark!
    Thou lady is full of snark,
    In her cupcake dress
    Of velvet so dark.
    ~Snarillius Von Carrilius

2jcwk79.jpg
  • where2r1
    where2r1 Posts: 32 Arc User
    IDENTIFY WHICH GAME A FORUM POST BELONGS TO.
    ~Sorry for the shout, but c'mon!~

I play all three Cryptic games and even a couple PWE games. And when I'm surfing' forums it can be a nightmare to remember where the hell I'm at in terms of which game the comment (and especially: Official Announcements) belong to.

Several games use the "General Discussion" and "Bug Report" for titles, also.
  • monkeybone13
    monkeybone13 Posts: 3,442 Arc User
    You know what would be nice? Being able to select a default text color in account preferences. We'd have a color palette to select a default color so all of our posts show up in that color and we won't have to use the [color] thingies every single post. There would also be an option above the comment box so you can turn off the default settings for that post only, in case someone wanted to use a different color or something.

Also it would be nice to select a default text style like italic or comic sans or whatever so all our posts show up in that style. It would give us more customizability and uniqueness.
    picard-facepalm_zpssvoltqmi.jpg~original
  • ovenusarmanio
    ovenusarmanio Posts: 301 Community Moderator
    We do not need a *shudder* default comic sans style.

kritty%20sig_zpsp0y7ttsb.png
    Thanks to MikoTenshi for the Avi and Kritty for the Signature.
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • gulberat
    gulberat Posts: 400 Arc User
    We do not need a *shudder* default comic sans style.

Indeed. There's a reason Weird Al mentions that font in his song "Tacky"...

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • nrglg
    edited July 2015
    But, but, comic sans is the best font ever designed. You just don't see the beauty in it. jellyfish-23.gif

On-topic:

- Has the bug where users can move posts to different threads been fixed yet?
    - Users writing guides and fanfiction need even longer posts than currently available
    - Hire me temporarily to write you either a JavaScript or php based proper BBCode parser (C# too, or like the 20 other programming languages I know). tiger-19.gif
    Post edited by nrglg on

• flyingfinn
    flyingfinn Posts: 6,694 Arc User
    - Hire me temporarily to write you either a JavaScript or php based proper BBCode parser (C# too, or like the 20 other programming languages I know). tiger-19.gif

Players are expected to provide free stuff. Like Game Specific Wiki. Game Bug Fixes. Game Features.
    Free to PWE, ofcourse.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • nrglg
    edited July 2015
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    Players are expected to provide free stuff. Like Game Specific Wiki. Game Bug Fixes. Game Features.
    Free to PWE, ofcourse.
    I've given them plenty for free, even a guide explaining the internet, and I'm barely a player. tiger-9.gif

Seriously though, I'm a freelance software engineer on the side, so this kind of thing is what I'm hired for once in a while. I mostly fix people's old computers for more money than it would cost them to get a new computer. Although I also build custom computers...for a price.

• apsciliara
    apsciliara Posts: 247 Arc User
    All I want is a light theme. Please, if nothing else, I need that. I generally use light/white themes on most of my programs and windows, so it's actually very uncomfortable swapping between this and light stuff.
  • edira
    edira Posts: 32 Arc User
    Can we have an 'Like' or 'Thanks' button?
    Forsaken World - Server: Dyos - Kindred Fire Mage
  • eldarth
    apsciliara wrote: »
    All I want is a light theme. Please, if nothing else, I need that. I generally use light/white themes on most of my programs and windows, so it's actually very uncomfortable swapping between this and light stuff.

The community has made a pretty nice light theme as well as fixed a number of forum bugs/deficiencies.
    While waiting for PWE to fix the forums you might try this:
    Asterelle's Forum Editing Mods: https://github.com/asterpw/pwevanillaenhance
    ...and since PWE inflicted this horrendous black theme on us, chances of them implementing a light theme are probably pretty slim.
  • bkthomson
    bkthomson Posts: 149 Arc User
    Is there a way to when you go to a thread that it drops you to your last unread thread? Any time I get a notification and click on it it take me to the opening post of said thread.
  • khamseenair
    khamseenair Posts: 345 Arc User
    bkthomson wrote: »
    Is there a way to when you go to a thread that it drops you to your last unread thread? Any time I get a notification and click on it it take me to the opening post of said thread.

Clicking a link to a thread, either from the board or your notification list, is supposed to take you to the first unread post in the thread. However it doesn't work if you're browsing from arcgames.com because they use embedding and the page doesn't actually scroll to where it's supposed to go. It works pretty reliably if you browse the forums from http://perfectworld.vanillaforums.com/
    <center>Ciaran%20Sig.jpg
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
    Check my GitHub for details on STO forum themes: https://github.com/khamseen/PWEVan
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!</center>
  • monkeybone13
    monkeybone13 Posts: 3,442 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Hmm....

While logged out of the forums posts aren't showing the time they were posted for my time zone. Only while logged in the timestamp is correct.

For example: I posted a comment at 6:52 pm but after logging out of the forums it shows my post was at 1:48 am. After logging back into the forums it shows as 6:52 am again. Am I posting in the future? I live in pacific time zone. I'm guessing the forums aren't detecting what time zone I live in unless I'm logged in. I'm not too familiar with time zones to be honest.
    picard-facepalm_zpssvoltqmi.jpg~original
  • lewstelamon01
    lewstelamon01 Posts: 15,946 Arc User
    Probably just a moderator thing, but we can't see the flagged posts queue. It is a little cumbersome to inspect all threads manually for potential problem posts.

ROLL TIDE ROLL
  • tehbubbaloo
    tehbubbaloo Posts: 246 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    i hate dark themes too.
    take the above advice and use this: https://github.com/asterpw/pwevanillaenhance

okZsAlw.png
    its light and does things like aggressive sig management, inline pic resizing and whatnot to make the forum less 'geocities' with all the image-spam.

we talk about pwevanillaenhance a lot on the last 20 pages or so here: http://perfectworld.vanillaforums.com/discussion/7895/testing-bug-hunting-and-finding-exploits
  • gulberat
    edited July 2015
    Hmm....

While logged out of the forums posts aren't showing the time they were posted for my time zone. Only while logged in the timestamp is correct.

For example: I posted a comment at 6:52 pm but after logging out of the forums it shows my post was at 1:48 am. After logging back into the forums it shows as 6:52 am again. Am I posting in the future? I live in pacific time zone. I'm guessing the forums aren't detecting what time zone I live in unless I'm logged in. I'm not too familiar with time zones to be honest.

That's what I would think. I don't imagine the forum is set up to autodetect the timezone any passing computer is set to; it relies on your profile information instead. I think that's how the majority of forums operate.

So long as that's just a choice, and not imposed on everybody. I much prefer dark themes, myself...
    Probably just a moderator thing, but we can't see the flagged posts queue. It is a little cumbersome to inspect all threads manually for potential problem posts.

That's kind of a big deal right there. I hope they'll get that sorted out soon...

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • askray
    askray Posts: 3,308 Community Moderator
    Ya know us STO moderators have had to do that for quite sometime now? :tongue:

Seeing the flag queue would be nice hehe.
    Senior Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment
    If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a community support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.

• jazerk
    jazerk Posts: 12 Arc User
    why do we need Animated GIFs in Sigs. we come here to read not look @ pic or stupid repeating gifs

• gulberat

So long as that's just a choice, and not imposed on everybody. I much prefer dark themes
    askray wrote: »
    Ya know us STO moderators have had to do that for quite sometime now? :tongue:

Seeing the flag queue would be nice hehe.

I can only imagine the trouble that would be caused by temporary measures like offended posters inserting #banhammernow into the thread in question, to create an easy, searchable tag for trouble...I entertained that thought for all of one second before I realized what a bad, bad, BAD idea it would be. O_O

I'd say either the flag system needs to get fixed, or the policy should be changed to allow PM'ing of the mods. I know some forums have allowed that in the past but STO did not. :-/

Of course, if the Private Message thread is any indication, that system may be still having problems...

• protogoth
    protogoth Posts: 2,260 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    I like the dark theme. It's far easier on the eyes than the blinding white of another forum site when it was first redone that caused migraines in several people (fortunately, I was not one of them, but it was still hard on the eyes).

Restore forum titles like Rihannsu, Survivor of Romulus, Survivor of Remus, Career Officer, Starfleet Veteran, Empire Veteran, and Republic Veteran. We paid for them.

Let us delete notifications. It's a lot easier to keep up with what we've already read, particularly after the date changes and the times are no longer visible for anything from the day before. It's a bonus for you as well, because they surely take up space in a database.

A like button for individual posts would be groovy.

The character limit on posts is prohibitive. Increase it or get rid of it. I haven't yet hit it, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time. I suspect that some of my old posts may be over the limit, which means any attempt to edit them would be disastrous. This is probably not a concern except in terms of guides and recruiting posts, but in those, it would be an issue.
    Fleets_Banner_2015-05-01_0950.jpg
    Fvillhu s'Tal'Diann -- Praetor of the Tal'Diann/Tal-Diann
    Tal'Diann = KDF-allied Romulan Republic Fleet / Tal-Diann = Fed-allied Romulan Republic Fleet
    ahr'Lleiset mnhei'sahe mnei. Our chief governing passion is Freedom.
    Republic Veteran!!!

I'm still female, so please stop referring to me as "he."
  • eldarth
    edited July 2015
    protogoth wrote: »
    I like the dark theme. It's far easier on the eyes than the blinding white of another forum site when it was first redone that caused migraines in several people (fortunately, I was not one of them, but it was still hard on the eyes).

I don't like either extreme, but prefer the darker especially if reading later at night.
    I prefer a nice soothing middle ground -- hence The Blues, a nice relaxing calmness with too much contrast.
  • gulberat
    edited July 2015
    A like button for individual posts would be groovy.

I've never understood what purpose this serves. Then again I also haven't figured out what real purpose Facebook and Twitter serve, either, other than to air private business and tell people what you had for lunch today.
    The character limit on posts is prohibitive. Increase it or get rid of it. I haven't yet hit it, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time. I suspect that some of my old posts may be over the limit, which means any attempt to edit them would be disastrous. This is probably not a concern except in terms of guides and recruiting posts, but in those, it would be an issue.

It definitely is, and should I try to go back and edit my fanfics it could be a lot of trouble. :(

• yetweallfalldown
    yetweallfalldown Posts: 20 admin
    Thanks for the all the continued feedback! Sounds like there are some key themes coming through for this. To reiterate, I'm primarily looking for feedback for the regular user (non-moderator tools) since I want to make sure the look and feel works well for everyone looking to read/navigate the forums.
    Communications Manager - Perfect World Entertainment
    Support | YouTube
  • protogoth
    protogoth Posts: 2,260 Arc User
    eldarth wrote: »

I don't like either extreme, but prefer the darker especially if reading later at night.
    I prefer a nice soothing middle ground -- hence The Blues, a nice relaxing calmness with too much contrast.

Blue has at least two contraindications:
    1. Blue light encourages macular degeneration; I'd rather not lose my sight from forum activity.

2. Blue in STO is associated with the Federation, which is already favored over the Klingon Empire (Red) and the New Romulan Republic (Green) in many ways (and this is not a baseless accusation; even Devs have admitted that the Fed side gets more stuff than the other two put together, and then went on to engage in circular reasoning as a "justification" for the situation). Making the entire forum blue would probably encourage even more perception of that favoritism.
    Fleets_Banner_2015-05-01_0950.jpg
    Fvillhu s'Tal'Diann -- Praetor of the Tal'Diann/Tal-Diann
    Tal'Diann = KDF-allied Romulan Republic Fleet / Tal-Diann = Fed-allied Romulan Republic Fleet
    ahr'Lleiset mnhei'sahe mnei. Our chief governing passion is Freedom.
    Republic Veteran!!!

I'm still female, so please stop referring to me as "he."

Categories