Quoting first post of a thread creates faulty link

Quoting the first post of a thread creates a link to the wrong post. I tested this in Firefox. It doesn't matter whether you post the reply on www.arcgames.com/en/forums or perfectworld.vanillaforums.com.

Steps to reproduce

1. Sign in to the forums.
2. Navigate to a thread.
3. Click on "Quote" below the first post of the thread.
4. Post a reply that contains a quote of the first post.
5. The top of the quote should say "XYZ wrote: >>", where XYZ is the name of the person being quoted. Click on the ">>" link at the top of the quote.
6. Observe that the link doesn't take you to the first post of the thread. You may get a "404 Not Found" error, or you may be sent to an entirely different post.

Comments

• frtoaster
    frtoaster Posts: 2,566 Arc User
    A demonstration:
    frtoaster wrote: »
    Quoting the first post of a thread creates a link to the wrong post. I tested this in Firefox. It doesn't matter whether you post the reply on www.arcgames.com/en/forums or perfectworld.vanillaforums.com.

Steps to reproduce

2. Navigate to a thread.
    5. The top of the quote should say "XYZ wrote: >>", where XYZ is the name of the person being quoted. Click on the ">>" link at the top of the quote.
    6. Observe that the link doesn't take you to the first post of the thread. You may get a "404 Not Found" error, or you may be sent to an entirely different post.

• frtoaster
    frtoaster Posts: 2,566 Arc User
    I found a workaround: Replace the post ID in quote="frtoaster;1192063" with the URL of the thread as I have done below.
    frtoaster wrote: »

Steps to reproduce

2. Navigate to a thread.

You should still fix this bug though. Most users won't know how to work around it.

Categories