Private Message Privacy Issues?

Comments

• khamseenair
    khamseenair Posts: 345 Arc User
    krittycat wrote: »
    This (^$# is broke and we're going to fix it as soon as we can. We're working with Vanilla, they're working well with us, and we'll either update or... fall asleep or something when it's done. I might do that.

I don't have a timeline on it getting fixed, but Vanilla has a dev working tomorrow who I get to pester about things.

^ Here's your official response, guys, as unofficial as he might look. :wink:

Glad you pointed that post out. I haven't ever seen that user before and since this forum doesn't seem to point out anybody who's in charge, I figured there had been no official response yet.

Man I hate Vanilla.
    <center>Ciaran%20Sig.jpg
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
    Check my GitHub for details on STO forum themes: https://github.com/khamseen/PWEVan
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!</center>
  • angrytarg
    angrytarg Posts: 165 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    primar13 wrote: »
    No it shows that someone is angry and coming up with any sort of "Justification" for why they could be right.

It's nice that some people consider mass publication of private content no big issue. Before I knew what was going on I read through those messages because I didn't know they were there - theoretically, I have real names of people, email addresses, private correspondence - if that doesn't show that no testing went into this transition I don't know how to interpret it. This is just a private forum, but if something like this would have happened on a business platform.

Of course, between this, trackers running in the background (at least they seem to be gone for sub-forums), automatic "draft" saves you are right, I am angry. And I don't have trust in PWE or Vanilla (anymore?). At least Cryptic is innocent this time :D

<center>223.gif</center>
    <center>"No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh</center>
    <center>Vanilla is nice... we're talking about ice cream, right? ...
  • lewstelamon01
    lewstelamon01 Posts: 15,946 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Yeah, you actually have to click the user's name to figure out their roles, unless it's in their sig. Trailturtle is one of the PWE admins, though, so please do take his word (however terse, frustrated, and quite possibly sleep-deprived it may be) as official in capacity.

ROLL TIDE ROLL
  • arrmateys
    arrmateys Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    same here. i have a long list of infractions of other people. over 960 messages, all sent by trendy, or to trendy (also smirk and even q, i see them on the left side too) in reply to those infractions i think.

guess the forum messed up and grouped every single infraction message into one huge conversation, then made everyone who got it participate in it.
    Now clowns, that's another story. They scare the cr​ap out of me.
    We fight them too. Entire armies spilling out of Volkswagens.
    We do our best to fight them off, but they keep sending them in.
  • gulberat
    gulberat Posts: 400 Arc User
    Yeah, you actually have to click the user's name to figure out their roles, unless it's in their sig. Trailturtle is one of the PWE admins, though, so please do take his word (however terse, frustrated, and quite possibly sleep-deprived it may be) as official in capacity.

Hmmm...maybe there would be a way to get admins' and mods' names lit up with a special color? I don't know what the forum's code actually allows though, so I am just thinking out loud...

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • deaftravis05
    deaftravis05 Posts: 3,839 Arc User
    well, there's some real interesting reads for us folks who got a warn or two...
  • primar13
    primar13 Posts: 985 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    gulberat wrote: »
    Have we had any official word on redress for this situation?

Trendy said she was going to
    Yeah. I'm going to activate High Order Invictia on that issue.

Part of this Twitter Thread, where she mentions the Login redirect Loop.

Post edited by primar13 on

Directive 010 - Purple Company Commander
    Twitter Junkie
    #ItsAllMarcosFault
  • trailturtle
    trailturtle Posts: 6,337 Perfect World Employee
    Quick clarification: This will not be an issue going forward. This consolidation of messages is the result of the migration not properly separating by the involved users.

Unfortunately, the messages in question are probably beyond saving. We will probably be deleting these older messages entirely, to preserve your privacy. Again, though, future messages shouldn't be affected by any of these problems. (Although do remember that people can add other users to your conversations.)
  • lewstelamon01
    Quick clarification: This will not be an issue going forward. This consolidation of messages is the result of the migration not properly separating by the involved users.

Unfortunately, the messages in question are probably beyond saving. We will probably be deleting these older messages entirely, to preserve your privacy. Again, though, future messages shouldn't be affected by any of these problems. (Although do remember that people can add other users to your conversations.)

So, any ETA as to when we will be able to use the PM system again?

ROLL TIDE ROLL
  • katamaster81899
    katamaster81899 Posts: 869 Arc User

Any ETA on when, ya know, you'll actually give the moderators mod permissions? It's a pain wading through all of the whiny troll posts to get to the real discussion
    dulopa4e1d9.png
    XB1 Thaumaturge PVE CW Build || NW_Legit_Community Moderator || Axios Guild Leader || Neverwinter Trade Forum Moderator
    Check out my foundry, titled "Akro's Gone Wacko", featuring our ex-CM Akromatik!: NW-DL8J7BY5T

Erza Moonstalker | Lara Moonstalker | Julie Marvell | Erza Moonhunter | Annie Hellangel | Jenn Moonstalker
  • krittycat
    krittycat Posts: 4,187 Community Moderator

Any ETA on when, ya know, you'll actually give the moderators mod permissions? It's a pain wading through all of the whiny troll posts to get to the real discussion

They're waiting until the dust settles from the migration so that they don't have to do multiple passes to get the permissions sorted.

Until then, the moderators are just contacting PWE to get posts removed that need it. If you really believe something is bad enough, use the Flag button, and it will be looked at.
  • lewstelamon01

Strum is working on that for the NW mods. We hope to have our proper permissions soon.

ROLL TIDE ROLL
  • frtoaster
    frtoaster Posts: 2,566 Arc User

I have a question. Did you guys write custom code to import the data (posts, threads, PMs, etc.), or did you use an import function built into Vanilla?
  • angrytarg
    angrytarg Posts: 165 Arc User

And why do I see private correspondence clicking the "activity" button? It seems it randomly just shows *everything* *everywhere* on these forums. I see avatar changes and occasionally supposedly private messages or wallposts from random people. Is this intentional?
    <center>223.gif</center>
    <center>"No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh</center>
    <center>Vanilla is nice... we're talking about ice cream, right? ...
  • opkossy
    opkossy Posts: 11,177 Community Moderator
    edited June 2015
    Seconding the above. The activity button shows random snippets of -everything- going on. I've already counted 5 different "private" messages from the first few pages.

... Oh and it doesn't help that I can actually join in on said messages via the comment function in said feed.
    (Insert fancy image here)
  • khamseenair
    khamseenair Posts: 345 Arc User
    Well the system appears to be back up now, and annoyingly their solution seems to have been to wipe all PMs... Wish they'd warned that was what they were going to do so I could have made a backup of important ones...
    <center>Ciaran%20Sig.jpg
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
    Check my GitHub for details on STO forum themes: https://github.com/khamseen/PWEVan
  • revjimjones
    revjimjones Posts: 604 Arc User
    Well the system appears to be back up now, and annoyingly their solution seems to have been to wipe all PMs... Wish they'd warned that was what they were going to do so I could have made a backup of important ones...

No worries I am sure some enterprising user made copies of everything that was visible and will make it available to the general public eventually
    EXH79YQ.gif
    stuffbydavid.com/textcolorizer
    Sarcasm Font and color[ font="Trebuchet MS"][ color=#FF61F4][ /color][ /font]
  • gulberat
    edited June 2015

Actually, I believe they did warn about it (22 June--Trailturtle)--and even before that, I proposed it (19 June--because I had a fairly good idea how this happened and suspected the messages would not be salvageable :( ). The problem is that right now there's nothing to quickly distinguish CM/Mod posts from the general population, so I am not surprised it caught people off guard. :(

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • linyive
    linyive Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    We have multiple users in this thread reporting being able to see correspondence that is not theirs, including that regarding forum infractions.

I am not affected but I think this is a priority issue: http://perfectworld.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/12557809/#Comment_12557809

EDIT: I have seen now that I AM affected by this. See below for details.

I am seeing private communications and weird notifications. Even though I haven't been on for several days, I am getting weird notifications about religious bashing?

Also, I use a very-very private email system. If Cryptic is leaking my email accounts (and IP addresses), I will 'sue' for a breach of privacy and security. I know the best lawyers in my area.
  • gulberat
    linyive wrote: »
    I am seeing private communications and weird notifications. Even though I haven't been on for several days, I am getting weird notifications about religious bashing?

What button are you clicking on that shows you these notifications?

• linyive
    edited June 2015

'Notifications' link.

Is there a way to prevent people, outside of the moderator team, from posting notifications?
  • primar13
    The Actvity page is intended to show Changes in Avatars, and I think Signatures.

It also shows whenever someone writes on another persons wall... These are NOT Private Messages... they are public...

Twitter Junkie
    #ItsAllMarcosFault
  • gulberat

'Notifications' link.

I'm afraid I don't have a clue what's happening, then. I haven't had a notification for a while. Do your notifications link to publicly viewable posts on the forum? Or do they link to (for example) something in the Moderator's Lounge, or to old PM's that are supposed to have been deleted in the PM privacy breach? Particularly if it's one of the latter options, or there is just no clue what they link to, then there's a problem that needs to be addressed.

BTW, see if you get a notification because I wrote this: @linyive (wait a few minutes and then check).

Also, all of my Inbox PM's sent before the migration were purged the day PWE announced they were going to purge the inbox notifications. Do you still have items in your Inbox from before the migration? (The only item remaining in my inbox is something I PM'ed to a person after the migration occurred.)

I'm not PWE so I can't actually see the code or fix anything, but these might give someone who can, a bit better of an idea what's happening.

• linyive

'Notifications' link.

I'm afraid I don't have a clue what's happening, then. I haven't had a notification for a while. Do your notifications link to publicly viewable posts on the forum? Or do they link to (for example) something in the Moderator's Lounge, or to old PM's that are supposed to have been deleted in the PM privacy breach? Particularly if it's one of the latter options, or there is just no clue what they link to, then there's a problem that needs to be addressed.

BTW, see if you get a notification because I wrote this: @linyive (wait a few minutes and then check).

Also, all of my Inbox PM's sent before the migration were purged the day PWE announced they were going to purge the inbox notifications. Do you still have items in your Inbox from before the migration? (The only item remaining in my inbox is something I PM'ed to a person after the migration occurred.)

I'm not PWE so I can't actually see the code or fix anything, but these might give someone who can, a bit better of an idea what's happening.

I can use all the information I can get.

When I click on the message link, accompanying the notification, I get, "Permission Problem-You don't have permission to do that." I have no idea.

• primar13
    Your full Notification's page should appear here: http://perfectworld.vanillaforums.com/profile/notifications

Twitter Junkie
    #ItsAllMarcosFault
  • gulberat
    Your full Notification's page should appear here: http://perfectworld.vanillaforums.com/profile/notifications

Afraid I'm clueless as to what linyive is seeing. My notifications page says, "You do not have any notifications yet," and the only time I've ever seen a Notification is when someone writes @ my name.

• linyive

Yes, I was talking about that page.
  • primar13
    edited June 2015

Afraid I'm clueless as to what linyive is seeing. My notifications page says, "You do not have any notifications yet," and the only time I've ever seen a Notification is when someone writes @ my name.

Sound like you have most of your Notifications Turned off. Try Turning them on.
    The "Popup" Setting controls the UI Popups and what appears on your notifications page.

http://perfectworld.vanillaforums.com/profile/preferences

@linyive I think you are seeing notification for posts that have been removed.... Try Clearing your Cache/History and see if that clears it up...

Twitter Junkie
    #ItsAllMarcosFault
  • linyive
    edited June 2015

Sound like you have most of your Notifications Turned off. Try Turning them on, (Popup)

http://perfectworld.vanillaforums.com/profile/preferences

@linyive I think you are seeing notification for posts that have been removed.... Try Clearing your Cache/History and see if that clears it up...

I just figured it out. I was being notified about 'everything'. As a result of making posts in certain threads, I am being notified when someone posts. I was taking it personally. lol....

Thanks for the help.

*blushes*
  • gulberat
    I just figured it out. I was being notified about 'everything'. As a result of making posts in certain threads, I am being notified when someone posts. I was taking it personally. lol....

OK, so was everything you were being notified about that you found questionable linked to publicly-viewable posts?

Categories