Invisible Posts?

This just hapened to two different threads in two completely different sections of the forums.

Both threads I had previously read. The overviews told me that both threads had one new reply by a user called aloishammer. However upon opening the threads I find, that said replies are not there. After that I opened aloishammers profile to find that he/she has never made a single post in these forums.
This is a new account I had to create, because the old one does not work with the new forums. :/

Comments

• aloishammer
    aloishammer Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    tfcz wrote: »
    This just hapened to two different threads in two completely different sections of the forums.

Both threads I had previously read. The overviews told me that both threads had one new reply by a user called aloishammer. However upon opening the threads I find, that said replies are not there. After that I opened aloishammers profile to find that he/she has never made a single post in these forums.

Now that's...truly odd. :s
  • tfcz
    tfcz Posts: 20
    And now it happened to this thread as well. Does not matter whether I'm logged in or not btw.

Does anyone see a post by aloishammer in this thread and can confirm it's existence for me please?
    This is a new account I had to create, because the old one does not work with the new forums. :/
  • frtoaster
    frtoaster Posts: 2,566 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    And now it happened to this thread as well. Does not matter whether I'm logged in or not btw.

Does anyone see a post by aloishammer in this thread and can confirm it's existence for me please?

For the record, I don't see any post by aloishammer whether I'm logged in or not.

EDIT: So apparently, posts by aloishammer show up on the main page

http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums

and on the category page

http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums#/categories/vanilla-forum-migration-bug-reports

but not in the actual thread

http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1190840/invisible-posts

Here are some screenshots that I took:

http://i.imgur.com/hXT2Sou.png
    http://i.imgur.com/BpY1zKJ.png
    http://i.imgur.com/ZtDJ2PZ.png
    Post edited by frtoaster on
  • aloishammer
    frtoaster wrote: »

For the record, I don't see any post by aloishammer whether I'm logged in or not.

So I'm invisible. Interesting.

-wanders off in search of the ladies' shower-

Let's see how long this continues to work. >:)
  • primar13
    primar13 Posts: 985 Arc User
    I've seen him posting around the forums. So he Does Exist and has made posts...

Maybe he got modded? and its not removing the post from the alert system? Just spitballing... Doubt I hit anything :smiley:

Directive 010 - Purple Company Commander
    Twitter Junkie
    #ItsAllMarcosFault
  • aloishammer
    primar13 wrote: »
    I've seen him posting around the forums. So he Does Exist and has made posts...

Maybe he got modded? and its not removing the post from the alert system? Just spitballing... Doubt I hit anything :smiley:

It's hit and miss. I've gotten responses some places, been quoted some places, and some- like here- got people talking about phantom posts. -shrug-

Fun with forum migrations? :D
  • arrmateys
    arrmateys Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    he just posted here, but i'm also not seeing his post. it's possible he's muted, his posts need moderator approval or he may even be ghost banned, although i doubt the last one, since that practice was never implemented into any forum software, and forum modifications for something like that were always abandoned as far as i could find.

he has over 3k posts on his counter, but his profile shows he didn't make any posts at all.
    Now clowns, that's another story. They scare the cr​ap out of me.
    We fight them too. Entire armies spilling out of Volkswagens.
    We do our best to fight them off, but they keep sending them in.
  • ilithyn
    ilithyn Posts: 125 Arc User
    A quick Q. What on Earth is a 'ghost ban'?
    Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end of it.
  • aloishammer
    ilithyn wrote: »

My guess, and that's all it is, would be a form of ban where one can post, but nobody else can see it. Basically a senseless exercise in wasted coding and disk space.
  • krittycat
    krittycat Posts: 4,187 Community Moderator
    edited June 2015

It's when a user can still post, and they see their posts as if they're still there, but nobody without some form of administrator privileges can see the posts.

The idea was suggested as a way of to prevent the traditional "feed the troll" methond of encouraging people to continue to post troll-posts, but I'm not sure it was ever implemented anywhere.
  • primar13
    I just had a 2 year old Thread pop up in the New Discussions, so I'm assuming the guy who posted in that section was muted.

:lol:

Twitter Junkie
    #ItsAllMarcosFault
  • tehbubbaloo
    tehbubbaloo Posts: 246 Arc User

aka 'tachy goes to coventry' its a particularly juvenile form of forum moderation that puts users on global ignore.
  • arrmateys
    edited June 2015
    it's not juvenile at all. it enforces the "don't feed the troll" rule, while also preventing particularly nasty forum members who can easily go around normal, and even ip bans from spamming the forum.

if they don't know they're banned, they think people finally saw through their trolling and started ignoring them, and eventually they get bored and leave. it deprives them of attention they crave.
  • tehbubbaloo
    arrmateys wrote: »
    it's not juvenile at all. it enforces the "don't feed the troll" rule, while also preventing particularly nasty forum members who can easily go around normal, and even ip bans from spamming the forum.

if they don't know they're banned, they think people finally saw through their trolling and started ignoring them, and eventually they get bored and leave. it deprives them of attention they crave.
    actual trolls know better than to think people suddenly wised up and stopped taking the bait.
    no, this is a silly and juvenile toy for the passive aggressive style of administration employed by somebody that isnt secure enough to own their decisions publicly. tachy, 'miserable users', etc arent legit moderation tools; they are toys for trolling the userbase.

• ilithyn
    ilithyn Posts: 125 Arc User
    Thank you for the answer both.

aka 'tachy goes to coventry' its a particularly juvenile form of forum moderation that puts users on global ignore.

Okay I read this as 'Trendy goes to Conventry'. :D
    Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end of it.
  • arrmateys
    edited June 2015
    no, this is a silly and juvenile toy for the passive aggressive style of administration employed by somebody that isnt secure enough to own their decisions publicly. tachy, 'miserable users', etc arent legit moderation tools; they are toys for trolling the userbase.
    why are you so angry about that? did you get ghost banned in the past and still feel resentment over it or something?

besides, as the people above said, that kind of thing was never implemented anywhere, it was all a theoretic thing that never got completed and was forgotten.

also i think i saw another weird case of invisible posts. first post on a second page was probably made by someone like that, but the post wasn't there so the page was blank.

in the end it's much more likely to be a simple forum bug rather than anything like that.
    Post edited by arrmateys on
  • tehbubbaloo
    why are you so angry about that? did you get ghost banned in the past and still feel resentment over it or something?

besides, as the people above said, that kind of thing was never implemented anywhere, it was all a theoretic thing that never got completed and was forgotten.

also i think i saw another weird case of invisible posts. first post on a second page was probably made by someone like that, but the post wasn't there so the page was blank.

in the end it's much more likely to be a simple forum bug rather than anything like that.

in what way is my 'anger' manifesting itself? i thought we were having a discussion.
    ...or was that merely an upscale 'u mad bro'?
  • primar13
    actual trolls know better than to think people suddenly wised up and stopped taking the bait.

uh... if they knew better... they wouldn't keep posting after they got muted... :trollface:

__________________________________________________________________________________________

On a Serious note, Ghost banning is quote helpful in some situations... for example...

a While back my forums got hit with a bunch of Bots... Everytime I banned one... it would create a new account.
    What I found was that if I ghosted them... and hid all their posts. I could set up for all their posts to get automoved to a new hidden section.

This way I could monitor the accounts, but no one else could see them, and because the Bot thought it was still posting... It didn't create any new accounts.

Twitter Junkie
    #ItsAllMarcosFault
  • lewstelamon01
    lewstelamon01 Posts: 15,946 Arc User
    edited June 2015

It wasn't forgotten, it just wasn't widely used. Muting a user does have its uses, much of it being that it takes a matter of thirty seconds to create a new account to continue to troll when their previous account gets banned. Or, as a more effective means of dealing with bot forum spammers--which actually were rampant for a time until the new poster restrictions were put in place some time ago.

I hated clearing out four pages of spam posts, then refreshing the forum page and seeing another two pages pop up instantly.

ROLL TIDE ROLL
  • tehbubbaloo
    edited June 2015

uh... if they knew better... they wouldn't keep posting after they got muted... :trollface:
    unless they arent actually trolls... that was the entire point i was making.
  • primar13
    edited June 2015

unless they arent actually trolls... that was the entire point i was making.
    Rokey Dokey

:vulcan2: vulcan2.gif

I also like Having new accounts have to have their posts approved. I usually require it for the First 5 Posts. on an account, on my Forums

[EDIT]
    Hey wheres my LLAP Emote... Had ti link the image

Twitter Junkie
    #ItsAllMarcosFault
  • arrmateys
    edited June 2015
    in what way is my 'anger' manifesting itself? i thought we were having a discussion.
    ...or was that merely an upscale 'u mad bro'?

this:
    this is a silly and juvenile toy for the passive aggressive style of administration employed by somebody that isnt secure enough to own their decisions publicly.
    sounds like passive agressive lashing out. repeatedly insulting and belittling the thing by calling it juvenile, insulting the hypothetical person who uses it by calling them insecure for absolutely no reason. that's not a neutral discussion, it's emotionally charged.
  • gulberat
    gulberat Posts: 400 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    OK...I dunno if this is an actual ban, or if there are still CSS vulnerabilities that could allow a user to make their own profile page look like this: http://perfectworld.vanillaforums.com/profile/118373/aloishammer

Used to be people could really mess with their own profile pages before the migration.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • arrmateys
    he may simply be banned as the profile suggests. maybe the software here hides all posts of a member who got banned, but it wasn't configured correctly and still allowed him to post.
  • primar13
    gulberat wrote: »
    OK...I dunno if this is an actual ban, or if there are still CSS vulnerabilities that could allow a user to make their own profile page look like this: http://perfectworld.vanillaforums.com/profile/118373/aloishammer

Used to be people could really mess with their own profile pages before the migration.

Looks to me that they really are banned...

See how all Posts and Discussions are now MIA, plus the Banned Tag to the left of the username is the Real thing...

Plus that Avatar... That's got Trendy Written ALL over it... You can set a forced avatar for Banned people in most forum software.

Lets limit that discussion... though... iirc Talking about how/why/if someone was moderated is a no-no

Twitter Junkie
    #ItsAllMarcosFault
  • gulberat
    gulberat Posts: 400 Arc User
    Totally understood--solely wanted to ensure we didn't have more software vulnerabilities.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • krittycat
    krittycat Posts: 4,187 Community Moderator
    edited June 2015

Yeah... no. Not this time, anyway.
    he may simply be banned as the profile suggests. maybe the software here hides all posts of a member who got banned, but it wasn't configured correctly and still allowed him to post.

I don't know if that was the case, or if the ban perhaps wasn't done properly? It is new software, so maybe they just derped on the first attempt to ban...

Looks to me that they really are banned...

See how all Posts and Discussions are now MIA, plus the Banned Tag to the left of the username is the Real thing...

Plus that Avatar... That's got Trendy Written ALL over it... You can set a forced avatar for Banned people in most forum software.

Lets limit that discussion... though... iirc Talking about how/why/if someone was moderated is a no-no

I'm pretty sure that's the avatar for those that are officially banned, like primar13 said.

Also, as was said, discussions about bans aren't really permitted, so this conversation is pretty much over.fox-43.gif
  • arrmateys
    edited June 2015
    on another topic, it looks like half of everyone's signatures doesn't appear in this topic, at least for me.

i can see mine in this post, but my previous posts on this page don't have one. i also can't see gulberat's signature in any of his posts here for example, but they work in other topics.
    edit: it's gone now.

was there a change to it recently that broke something, or is this a bug?
  • frtoaster
    frtoaster Posts: 2,566 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I found two more cases.

Case 1

There is no post by flyingfinn in this thread

http://perfectworld.vanillaforums.com/discussion/8371/portal-wide-forum-migration

even though the main page and the category page say otherwise.

http://i.imgur.com/p79foum.png
    http://i.imgur.com/XtGJtwf.png

Someone also quoted him in that thread, so he must have posted something.

http://perfectworld.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/12558599/#Comment_12558599

Case 2

I'm quite certain that I had two replies in this thread earlier in the day.

http://perfectworld.vanillaforums.com/discussion/1190911/pwe-shares-our-email-addresses-with-vanilla-forums-and-disqus

And the category page seems to agree.

http://i.imgur.com/0Dxc9aQ.png

But when I check now, there is only one reply.

http://i.imgur.com/cWiixbW.png
  • primar13
    edited June 2015
    on another topic, it looks like half of everyone's signatures doesn't appear in this topic, at least for me.

i can see mine in this post, but previous ones on this page don't have one. was there a change to it recently that broke something, or is this a bug?

My Money is that This Section was made just to be temporary, and that the fancy stuff like Sigatures were not turned on...

They appear everywhere else so I'm happy :smile:

They are also just appeared on this post, when I made it but not after a refresh... so wtf

Twitter Junkie
    #ItsAllMarcosFault

Categories