Vanilla Forum Migration Status Update 6/22/15

Comments

• khamseenair
    khamseenair Posts: 345 Arc User
    @comrademoco Boom?
    <center>Ciaran%20Sig.jpg
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
    Check my GitHub for details on STO forum themes: https://github.com/khamseen/PWEVan
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!</center>
  • primar13
    primar13 Posts: 985 Arc User
    Looks like its Working... Hashtags are still working AFAIK

#ItsAllMarcosFault

Directive 010 - Purple Company Commander
    Twitter Junkie
    #ItsAllMarcosFault
  • aloishammer
    aloishammer Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    smeeinn1t wrote: »
    Wow this post tells me one thing, Vanilla is the wrong choice for a game like STO. Why the hell did we have to migrate to this amateurish pile of shtako.

Seems like a perfect choice to me- "Y'all grab some third-party tools and make some browser add-ons to fix our problems, and then we'll...uh...wait, if y'all got it solved already..." >:)

Brilliant, in a Dr. Evil sort of way.

@comrademoco Oh wait, even if that works it may not work since I'm like some semi-invisible poster at the moment.

• ilithyn
    ilithyn Posts: 125 Arc User
    primar13 wrote: »
    Looks like its Working... Hashtags are still working AFAIK

#ItsAllMarcosFault
    If you only made three posts with that hashtag then yes, they do.

Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end of it.
  • frtoaster
    frtoaster Posts: 2,566 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Same, my login name is one thing, my forum display name is another and my in game @handle is yet another. I did it that way intentionally so nobody ever sees my login name simply from me posting on the forums and also spammers don't get my in game @handle simply from me posting on the forums either.

I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but you can actually log in to Arc and arcgames.com with your email address instead of your login name. It's funny how they won't let our login names be the same as our forum names, yet they share our email addresses with Vanilla Forums and Disqus. We discussed some of this on the STO forums before the forum migration. Now that our communities are merged, I decided to start a new thread.

http://perfectworld.vanillaforums.com/discussion/1190911/pwe-shares-our-email-addresses-with-vanilla-forums-and-disqus
  • comrademoco
    comrademoco Posts: 592 Arc User
    > @khamseenair said:
    > comrademoco Boom?

Nein dosent give notification.
  • frtoaster
    It just occurred to me. Aren't French and German speakers supposed to have their own STO forums? I only see "Swordsman" under "Forums francophones" and "Deutsches Forum".
  • opkossy
    opkossy Posts: 11,177 Community Moderator
    @comrademoco Have you checked http://perfectworld.vanillaforums.com/profile/notifications

Pretty sure the pop-up version only applies when you're actively browsing and only for a brief time. Alternatively, check your preferences. If it's setup right you should at least see a red number or somesuch next to your name (between Activity and Sign Out) at the top of the forums.
    (Insert fancy image here)
  • comrademoco
    comrademoco Posts: 592 Arc User
    opkossy wrote: »
    @comrademoco Have you checked http://perfectworld.vanillaforums.com/profile/notifications

Pretty sure the pop-up version only applies when you're actively browsing and only for a brief time. Alternatively, check your preferences. If it's setup right you should at least see a red number or somesuch next to your name (between Activity and Sign Out) at the top of the forums.

there we go... I see the "Mention" now on the notifications area... koolz... as for the pop-up... mah have to pay close attention... cheers, normal-39.gif
  • limonazza
    limonazza Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Is there any way to change your forum name or ID or whatever, i am not really going to post anymore (and i had thousands post count) as long as i am forced to do it with my very account ID.... The devs really need to fix this... i mean your email is kinda public, your ip is kinda public, your account ID is public... seriously? getting hac.ked couldn't be easier than this (why is h acked even a bad word wtf)
  • ilithyn
    ilithyn Posts: 125 Arc User
    limonazza wrote: »
    Is there any way to change your forum name or ID or whatever, i am not really going to post anymore (and i had thousands post count) as long as i am forced to do it with my very account ID.... The devs really need to fix this... i mean your email is kinda public, your ip is kinda public, your account ID is public... seriously? getting hac.ked couldn't be easier than this (why is h acked even a bad word wtf)

As far as I have been able to establish, no. And believe me I looked hard as I would like to change my forum name too.

Considering that security here appears to have as many holes as a sieve, we really need some way to change our display name to give just a teeny bit of security for our accounts.
    Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end of it.
  • jcsww
    jcsww Posts: 1,607 Arc User
    Some sort of confirmation that they are working on a fix for those who can't login would be greatly appreciated!
    Reminder: Put something here!
  • cdnhawk
    cdnhawk Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    <-- "Neverwinter User"??? What the heck is this??
  • trailturtle
    trailturtle Posts: 6,337 Perfect World Employee

I did some checking, and I'm not actually sure there's an issue. Your username is something different, it's not the limonazza that's displaying when you post. The term we use in our database is that it's your nickname, not your user name. So no one can be able to log in as you with the limonazza name. :)
  • pwlaughingtrendy
    pwlaughingtrendy Posts: 2,034 Cryptic Developer
    jcsww wrote: »
    Some sort of confirmation that they are working on a fix for those who can't login would be greatly appreciated!
    Hey jcsww, we actually just introduced a fix to the login issues today. If you're still having issues with logging into the forums on another account or know a person who can't login, can you please provide their name so I can send it for more debugging?

• eradicator84
    eradicator84 Posts: 855 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Can we please get pagination links at the bottom of each thread page?
    Read to the end of a page and have to scroll all the way back up the top to go to next page.

EDIT: Also, are we getting the dev tracker back?? Was a very helpful tool to have.
    Dislike the forum theme? Try THIS. Dislike the STO news page? Try THIS.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Using - Qui'Tu, Pythus Fighter Favs - Corsair, Klinzhai, Mogh, Mat'Ha, Voth Fighter
    Some others - Manasa, Qib, Nicor, Sheshar, JAS, Bulwark The rest - HERE
  • trailturtle
    Hey jcsww, we actually just introduced a fix to the login issues today. If you're still having issues with logging into the forums on another account or know a person who can't login, can you please provide their name so I can send it for more debugging?

Side note -- now that we've got the login issues resolved, we're working on polish for the forums. If you've got any issues you see (like normal users being able to post in Official Announcements sections), sing out.
    Read to the end of a page and have to scroll all the way back up the top to go to next page.

EDIT: Also, are we getting the dev tracker back?? Was a very helpful tool to have.

We're trying. Everyone agrees these are good, but I don't know Vanilla well enough to know how to make it happen.
  • lewstelamon01
    lewstelamon01 Posts: 15,946 Arc User
    edited June 2015

Side note -- now that we've got the login issues resolved, we're working on polish for the forums. If you've got any issues you see (like normal users being able to post in Official Announcements sections), sing out.

Patch Note and Official Announcement forums for BOI and WOI can be posted to by normal users (but yay, we got all the player forums back that were weirdly hidden before, such as the pet forums for BOI).

Also might wanna sweep for sub-forums that were mod/admin only under VB that are visible here. I pointed out the ones I knew of to Strum but it wouldn't hurt to triple-check.

ROLL TIDE ROLL
  • eldarth
    eldarth Posts: 4,366 Arc User

Forum users have "fixed" the missing pagination problem (and many other deficiencies).
    If you're comfortable using Chrome/Firefox add-ins, check the "Forum Fixes" link in my signature.

• lewstelamon01
    eldarth wrote: »

Forum users have "fixed" the missing pagination problem (and many other deficiencies).
    If you're comfortable using Chrome/Firefox add-ins, check the "Forum Fixes" link in my signature.

They might, but it looks like Vanilla ate your sig.

ROLL TIDE ROLL
  • krittycat
    krittycat Posts: 4,187 Community Moderator

It's an on-and-off thing. Sometimes, they'll show up on refresh, other times, they'll disappear.
  • eldarth
    eldarth Posts: 4,366 Arc User
    krittycat wrote: »

It's an on-and-off thing. Sometimes, they'll show up on refresh, other times, they'll disappear.

I'm guessing it may be an update timing issue as I was just changing it seconds beforehand. Might take time to propogate to appropriate databases or somesuch.
  • krittycat
    edited June 2015
    krittycat wrote: »

I'm guessing it may be an update timing issue as I was just changing it seconds beforehand. Might take time to propogate to appropriate databases or somesuch.

I've had a rotating signature for a few days now, and mine has chosen now to be AWOL for me, too. I think it's a back-end issue they're working on.

EDIT: And now mine is back, after posting. Glitchy glitchy...
  • lewstelamon01
    edited June 2015
    Here's the Forum Fixes link outside sig. :|

Another pet peeve of mine: they need to change link colors so it's not invisible through the text. Only way around that is to use manual color tags ( e.g. Color="Lime" with brackets of course ) to get the link to show up.

ROLL TIDE ROLL
  • krittycat
    edited June 2015
    Here's the Forum Fixes link outside sig. :|

Another pet peeve of mine: they need to change link colors so it's not invisible through the text. Only way around that is to use manual color tags ( e.g. Color="Lime" with brackets of course ) to get the link to show up.

Another issue that's fixed if you use forum fixes by @nrglg , actually.

You can find those CSS injections here: https://github.com/Goodlookinguy/pwvnrg

His fix highlights links in a darkened bubble.
  • trailturtle
    Patch Note and Official Announcement forums for BOI and WOI can be posted to by normal users (but yay, we got all the player forums back that were weirdly hidden before, such as the pet forums for BOI).

Also might wanna sweep for sub-forums that were mod/admin only under VB that are visible here. I pointed out the ones I knew of to Strum but it wouldn't hurt to triple-check.

Might do that now, just so I don't have to handle that later on...

Side note, I've seen people complaining about quotes not nesting. Not sure if you've already found this, but http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums#/profile/quotes
  • frtoaster
    edited June 2015

I did some checking, and I'm not actually sure there's an issue. Your username is something different, it's not the limonazza that's displaying when you post. The term we use in our database is that it's your nickname, not your user name. So no one can be able to log in as you with the limonazza name. :)

You guys should read this:

http://perfectworld.vanillaforums.com/discussion/1190911/pwe-shares-our-email-addresses-with-vanilla-forums-and-disqus

Email addresses can be used to log in. Our email addresses are shared with Vanilla Forums and Disqus. It may not be a huge security risk, but it's one you should consider if you are worried about login names being leaked. There is also the privacy issue of why PWE is sharing our email addresses with other companies in the first place.

We're trying. Everyone agrees these are good, but I don't know Vanilla well enough to know how to make it happen.

Some users like nrglg have been posting CSS fixes in this thread:

http://perfectworld.vanillaforums.com/discussion/7895/testing-bug-hunting-and-finding-exploits

It might be a good starting point.
    Side note, I've seen people complaining about quotes not nesting. Not sure if you've already found this, but http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums#/profile/quotes

There was a bug where inner quotes would break outer quotes. As far as I can tell, that bug has been fixed.
  • monkeybone13
    monkeybone13 Posts: 3,442 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    In the old STO forums when I logged in I stayed on the exact page I was viewing. Still when logging into the Arc forums I'm sent to the Arcgames/en/games page and still no way to navigate back to here from that page. I have to load my bookmark of the Arc forums homepage to get back here. I'll say it again: when logging into the Arc forums I should stay on the exact forum page I was on, or at least be sent to the forums homepage. :rage: (heh. found out how to get the rage face.)

Also I just noticed when I go to my account on the forums I'm no longer able to delete notifications. Yesterday when I hovered my mouse over the notifications there was an 'X' on the right and clicking it allowed me to delete the notification and I would get a pop up asking if I'm sure I want to do that.

Edit: On the account page my join date shows up as 'June 12' instead of 'September 2012'.

At least my post count seems to be correct.
    picard-facepalm_zpssvoltqmi.jpg~original
  • sennahcherib
    sennahcherib Posts: 1,026 Arc User
    edited June 2015

it works, thx to the team. btw could we have the page count at the bottom of the window? i mean 1 2 3 4 etc; each time than i read a thread, I have to go top of the page to move to the next

btw, how i can remove "champions online user" which is under my name?

oh, an other thing. i'm going to have a lot of enemies. i think that the size of the signatures should be reduced. when the signature is bigger than the size of a reply; it is really annoying, this is worst when this is an animated gif

Categories