Vanilla Forum Migration Status Update 6/22/15

Comments

• nrglg
    nrglg Posts: 347 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    krittycat wrote: »
    Fixed with the CSS injection created by nrglg.
    You refer to this a few times in your reply. I don't understand this reply? What is a CSS injection and who is nrglg? Link, please?

I am NRGLG. A CSS injection is an addon for your browser that allows you to inject style sheets into a website. If on anything but IE, get an addon called Stylish. It handles the CSS injections quite well. Link to my changes for their style sheet can be found here: http://perfectworld.vanillaforums.com/discussion/7895/testing-bug-hunting-and-finding-exploits/p17#Comment_12557727

Note: The CSS changes must be for "perfectworld.vanillaforums.com" not "arcgames.com".

GAME FORUMS (Direct Link & Arc Frame)
    Hub | Arc | PWI | FW | NW | STO | SO | BLR | JD | BOI | CO | WOI
    Hub | Arc | PWI | FW | NW | STO | SO | BLR | JD | BOI | CO | WOI
    Forum Enhancements and Visual Improvements
    (Greasemonkey/Tampermonkey and/or Stylish required)
    PWI vBulletin Forum Data Dumps and Backups
  • qziqza
    qziqza Posts: 969 Arc User
    eiledon wrote: »
    daveyny wrote: »
    I'm not liking that I have to scroll all the way back to the top of a thread to get to the next page...
    <grumble..., grumble..., grumble...>
    B)

If you use greasemonkey, add the following user script to re-enable the hidden bottom pagination block, at least until they get their formatting sorted

// ==UserScript==
    // @name VanillaStuff
    // @namespace Eiledon
    // @include */discussion/*
    // ==/UserScript==

document.getElementById("PagerAfter").style.display = "inline-block";

Awesome little fix, thanks kindly :smiley: that was really bugging me.
    tYld1gu.gif?1
    TOS style icons used with the kind permission of irvinis.deviantart.com ©2013-2015
  • eiledon
    eiledon Posts: 228 Arc User
    nrglg - if you have the following at the top of your css, I believe it should work for either url version

@-moz-document domain("vanillaforums.com"), domain("arcgames.com") {

• krittycat
    krittycat Posts: 4,187 Community Moderator
    eiledon wrote: »
    nrglg - if you have the following at the top of your css, I believe it should work for either url version

@-moz-document domain("vanillaforums.com"), domain("arcgames.com") {

Or in Stylish for Chrome, just add a secondary domain of arcgames.com. :smile:
  • jcsww
    jcsww Posts: 1,607 Arc User
    A few friends are having a similar issue. I have tried to explain this before but hopefully this will help out a little more. I had my friend drop by not to long ago to try logging in from my computer. He can't login from his nor from my PC. He isn't the only person I know that is having this issue and none of them to report it due to not being able to login to the actual forum.

@cookiecrook sent me a link to this screenshot. He can login but it never actually logs him into the forum.
    2015-06-19%2021-34-57_zpss0dndtqo.jpg

I literally sat her and watched him a few times keep logging in through the link that says, sign in, which it let him sign in but would never log him into the forums.
    2015-06-18%2019-52-15_zpsixqtqb88.jpg

I am sure he would appreciate any help on fixing his and others having this same issue.
    Reminder: Put something here!
  • jcsww
    tfcz wrote: »
    30 per page is a little much on the scrolling
    Especially considering that, once you reached the bottom of the page you will have to scroll back up to go to the next page.

I agree! I would also like to see page numbers and the ability to go to the next or previous page from the bottom of the mile long page instead of having to scroll all the way back up to the top to move to the next page as well as having less posts per page.
  • krittycat
    edited June 2015
    jcsww wrote: »
    tfcz wrote: »
    30 per page is a little much on the scrolling
    Especially considering that, once you reached the bottom of the page you will have to scroll back up to go to the next page.

I agree! I would also like to see page numbers and the ability to go to the next or previous page from the bottom of the mile long page instead of having to scroll all the way back up to the top to move to the next page as well as having less posts per page.

If you don't mind using something like Stylish or Greasemonkey on your browser, you can use NRGLG's CSS injection to add some stuff that was needlessly excluded. :smile:
  • justawitness
    justawitness Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I really wish RaiderZ had their forums up

It'll get there. I'm hoping for next Tuesday (Star Trek reference...)

So on these forums you don't specify that your job isn't to be cool. Does that mean you are cool here?
    This will be my last post until raiderz is back up, let me do it

Face piles of trials with smiles.
  • frtoaster
    frtoaster Posts: 2,566 Arc User
    A few friends are having a similar issue. I have tried to explain this before but hopefully this will help out a little more. I had my friend drop by not to long ago to try logging in from my computer. He can't login from his nor from my PC. He isn't the only person I know that is having this issue and none of them to report it due to not being able to login to the actual forum.

@cookiecrook sent me a link to this screenshot. He can login but it never actually logs him into the forum.
    2015-06-19%2021-34-57_zpss0dndtqo.jpg

I literally sat her and watched him a few times keep logging in through the link that says, sign in, which it let him sign in but would never log him into the forums.
    2015-06-18%2019-52-15_zpsixqtqb88.jpg

I am sure he would appreciate any help on fixing his and others having this same issue.

There is another issue shown in those screenshots. It's a small thing, but "Install Arc" now appears as a gray box instead of a blue button. It happens on the main site as well, not just the forums. And it happens in both Firefox and IE. It's actually been like that for a few days. I noticed it while the forums were down and they were still making internal changes. I'm guessing that the CSS for that button is broken.
  • lewstelamon01
    lewstelamon01 Posts: 15,946 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    My feedback:
    1. Mod permissions need to be straightened out and properly assigned. Should have been ready before the forums went live. There also needs to be a clear identifier for mods and staff aside from signatures, as (due to another point posted further down) many users have signatures disabled and therefore cannot differentiate between a mod/admin or a normal user unless they click on the user's profile and read that user's role.
    2. RoC needs to be posted, even if the standardized ARC Community Rules and Policies have to be used until individual rules for each forum can be finalized as they pertain to their specific title. This also should have been ready pre-launch. It would be difficult to moderate properly without posted rules even if we had our proper permissions, since we no longer have access to any old forms of the RoC/R&P and have to rely on common sense principles to moderate. There are several flatly impermissible images being used as sigs (for example, we have NEVER permitted the depiction of smoking, drug use, or alcohol use in any imagery on our forums) and some posts in need of moderation.
    3. The layout, flatly speaking, looks rushed. Quotes are sucked into the background. If a user-created stylesheet has to even be conceived to make the forums more readable on a basic level, that says little about the effort put into these forums.
    4. Clicking on the latest post link (which is the time the post was made) does not always take you to the actual latest post in the thread. This can be quite cumbersome for a large thread.
    5. The PM system MUST be looked into. There are many reports of players getting PMs not even addressed to them--many of these being warnings and infractions issued by moderators, which represents a major breach of privacy policy. There is absolutely NO reason for players to be able to view such messages. They are private for a reason.
    6. I understand that one of the selling points for Vanilla was the animated sigs and avatars. However, excessively large animated sigs pose a very real seizure threat for many individuals, and are quite an eyesore to boot. They have to be toned down, or eliminated entirely.
    7. Dev Tracker. There's a Developer Corner but it's not the same--it just includes News and Announcements rather that a list of all staff/dev created posts. Really needs some work.
    8. Another priority issue: Some mod/admin only sub-forums were made visible in the transition. I have alerted Strum as to which ones but these need to be hidden posthaste, as they contain staff and mod only information, and many posts in those sub-forums are threads removed from view for valid reasons.
    Post edited by lewstelamon01 on

ROLL TIDE ROLL
  • krittycat
    edited June 2015
    My feedback:

* Mod permissions need to be straightened out and properly assigned. Should have been ready before the forums went live. There also needs to be a clear identifier for mods and staff aside from signatures, as (due to another point posted further down) many users have signatures disabled and therefore cannot differentiate between a mod/admin or a normal user unless they click on the user's profile and read that user's role.

Mod permissions are going to be sorted as soon as the dust has settled - at least contact an admin next time before asking about something like this. They don't even have admins properly set up yet... It's priorities right now. They feel like they can handle the volume the forums are actually going to garner over the next few days, and thus want everything settled before they start handing out permissions again.
    * RoC needs to be posted, even if the standardized ARC Community Rules and Policies have to be used until individual rules for each forum can be finalized as they pertain to their specific title. This also should have been ready pre-launch. It would be difficult to moderate properly without posted rules even if we had our proper permissions, since we no longer have access to any old forms of the RoC/R&P and have to rely on common sense principles to moderate. There are several flatly impermissible images being used as sigs (for example, we have NEVER permitted the depiction of smoking, drug use, or alcohol use in any imagery on our forums) and some posts in need of moderation.

The Rules of Conduct are probably something that PWE has to hash out. The various forums had differences in rules, and even how they were enforced. That could cause issues with users seeing other users treated differently in another forum, so PWE has to come up with a semi-standardized RoC that can be applied across each forum appropriately. This is something that is going to take some time.
    * The layout, flatly speaking, looks rushed. Quotes are sucked into the background. If a user-created stylesheet has to even be conceived to make the forums more readable on a basic level, that says little about the effort put into these forums.

Remember, the announcement does say that they are basically all set up, but that work is also still ongoing. Things are not yet set in stone, and I doubt that the forums will remain as bland as they are now in the future.
    * Clicking on the latest post link (which is the time the post was made) does not always take you to the actual latest post in the thread. This can be quite cumbersome for a large thread.

"Latest Post" takes you to the latest post you haven't read. This is actually not a bad thing - it ensures you get all the context of the thread instead of coming into a conversation halfway and wondering what someone is talking about or who they're talking to. While it might be slightly non-intuitive (I mean, it does say Latest Post, not Latest Unread Post), I can understand the reasoning behind it being the way it is.
    *The PM system MUST be looked into. There are many reports of players getting PMs not even addressed to them--many of these being warnings and infractions issued by moderators, which represents a major breach of privacy policy. There is absolutely NO reason for players to be able to view such messages. They are private for a reason.

It is being looked into. This was addressed by Trailturle here. You knew this, though - you commented on the thread after he posted. It was an unforeseen complication that PWE is dedicated to figuring out and fixing.
    *I understand that one of the selling points for Vanilla was the animated sigs and avatars. However, excessively large animated sigs pose a very real seizure threat for many individuals, and are quite an eyesore to boot. They have to be toned down, or eliminated entirely.

I'm sure things like this will be addressed in the updated RoC, and all images that break those rules will then be taken care of.
    *Dev Tracker. There's a Developer Corner but it's not the same--it just includes News and Announcements rather that a list of all staff/dev created posts. Really needs some work.

This is the first idea you have that I can actually agree with as being a serious issue. However, until we have some sort of indicator for Devs on the forums, there's really no point in having this.
    *Another priority issue: Some mod/admin only sub-forums were made visible in the transition. I have alerted Strum as to which ones but these need to be hidden posthaste, as they contain staff and mod only information, and many posts in those sub-forums are threads removed from view for valid reasons.

Another valid issue, and one that I'm sure will be taken care of. I actually wasn't aware this had happened, because the two forums I have unhidden don't have this. Well, other than the GD Test subforum in the BLR forum, but yeah...
  • jscorpion
    jscorpion Posts: 25 Arc User
    this wasn't suppose to be who I am, but a username >,<

change this back to proper game name. like others or is this intended?
    Jade Dynasty: NA Servers list
    Wildlands: 3500886X020602067009220Z3fada2
    Doom Bog: 2500886X021602063009121Z3e6da2
    The Billows: 8510886X020602068009226Z3f7da2

Enter this special code at the first character creation for EXTRA goodies: [Brocade Box]
  • krittycat
    edited June 2015
    jscorpion wrote: »
    this wasn't suppose to be who I am, but a username >,<

change this back to proper game name. like others or is this intended?

I believe that, with the new forum, your username is your forum name.

Another of the unfortunate incidences that comes with migrating to new software, I suppose...
  • jscorpion
    ouch then goes byebye my postcount. if not, maybe they will update it?

*sigh*

I hope Arc will make a forum event where every1 can participate to win a new forum title.

Enter this special code at the first character creation for EXTRA goodies: [Brocade Box]
  • krittycat
    jscorpion wrote: »
    ouch then goes byebye my postcount. if not, maybe they will update it?

*sigh*

I hope Arc will make a forum event where every1 can participate to win a new forum title.

I believe that post counts are something that are hit or miss... Some people post, and suddenly have every post from the forums, others have yet to see their post count be linked with their actual username.

It's weird.
  • jscorpion
    its like Elyisum on Jade Dynasty being fixed finally to include cross server PvP (it never happened) but on Arc.

what irony. I hope it does iron out eventually.

• frtoaster
    frtoaster Posts: 2,566 Arc User
    It seems that the forums for most games are up now, though I suppose some are still being worked on. You might want to start pointing the links from www.arcgames.com to the new forums. For example, the links in the "FORUM" tabs of the following pages still point to the old forums:

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online
    http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter
    http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/champions-online
    http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/pwi
  • ilithyn
    ilithyn Posts: 125 Arc User

Another of the unfortunate incidences that comes with migrating to new software, I suppose...

Nope it's not. Or at least not always. My handle in game is ilithyn, but my user name (the one I use for logging in to the forum and on to the game) is something completely different. :confused:
    Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end of it.
  • khamseenair
    khamseenair Posts: 345 Arc User
    ilithyn wrote: »

Nope it's not. Or at least not always. My handle in game is ilithyn, but my user name (the one I use for logging in to the forum and on to the game) is something completely different. :confused:

Same, my login name is one thing, my forum display name is another and my in game @handle is yet another. I did it that way intentionally so nobody ever sees my login name simply from me posting on the forums and also spammers don't get my in game @handle simply from me posting on the forums either.
    <center>Ciaran%20Sig.jpg
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
    Check my GitHub for details on STO forum themes: https://github.com/khamseen/PWEVan
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!</center>
  • gulberat
    gulberat Posts: 400 Arc User
    Regarding the Rules of Conduct, I forget where it was said, but it was said that there'd be a heads up for all forums that will be affected by changes in rules before they go into effect. I know that during my chats with people from PWI, that they were very surprised at the extent of the rules we have on the STO side. Our forum, being newer, seems to have a more formal set of rules in comparison to PWI. We're used to it--but for PWI I would bet that would be a culture shock.

But anyway, that disparity has been thought about, and my understanding is it will be addressed.

If I were a betting person I'd say the other forums will be brought into line with our policies, but I certainly don't know that as a fact.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • lewstelamon01
    lewstelamon01 Posts: 15,946 Arc User
    gulberat wrote: »
    Regarding the Rules of Conduct, I forget where it was said, but it was said that there'd be a heads up for all forums that will be affected by changes in rules before they go into effect. I know that during my chats with people from PWI, that they were very surprised at the extent of the rules we have on the STO side. Our forum, being newer, seems to have a more formal set of rules in comparison to PWI. We're used to it--but for PWI I would bet that would be a culture shock.

But anyway, that disparity has been thought about, and my understanding is it will be addressed.

If I were a betting person I'd say the other forums will be brought into line with our policies, but I certainly don't know that as a fact.

Thing is, with all the forums except Neverwinter, the PWE/Cryptic Community Rules and Policies were the base set of rules in effect, with changes and modifications pertinent to each game's forum posted on that forum. So, at a minimum, those should have been adopted as the base rules for these new forums.

Even a town just beginning has a charter in place.

ROLL TIDE ROLL
  • senhn
    senhn Posts: 2
    well, i had to create a new account for posting my problem. even if I sign in with my old account @sennahcherib (game STO), when i go in the forum, i can't post a message or create a thread. i want to keep my old account because my zen purchases are linked to this account.
  • jcsww
    senhn wrote: »
    well, i had to create a new account for posting my problem. even if I sign in with my old account @sennahcherib (game STO), when i go in the forum, i can't post a message or create a thread. i want to keep my old account because my zen purchases are linked to this account.

You aren't the only one having that issue. Hopefully when they get back to work Monday, that resolving that issue for quite a few people is high up on their list.
  • tfcz
    tfcz Posts: 20

It seems to be a problem with certain accounts. I have made a thread about it here:
    http://perfectworld.vanillaforums.com/discussion/1190671/login-problem

This is a new account I had to create, because the old one does not work with the new forums. :/
  • tfcz
    tfcz Posts: 20
    I understand that one of the selling points for Vanilla was the animated sigs and avatars. However, excessively large animated sigs pose a very real seizure threat for many individuals, and are quite an eyesore to boot. They have to be toned down, or eliminated entirely.
    Honestly, I would prefer if animated avatars and signatures were removed completely. Yes, some of them are cool, but in general I find them to be distracting. Our eyes are drawn towards things that move, which is not helpful, if you're trying to read.
    This is a new account I had to create, because the old one does not work with the new forums. :/
  • hidingcat
    hidingcat Posts: 41 Arc User
    A few things:

1. You can disable images in signatures. First thing I did.
    2. There's no PM function on this board!
  • jcsww
    I would really like to see larger avatars once the issues that need to be addressed are out of the way.
  • opkossy
    opkossy Posts: 11,177 Community Moderator
    hidingcat wrote: »
    A few things:

1. You can disable images in signatures. First thing I did.
    2. There's no PM function on this board!

The PM function had some major issues when the old PMs were moved over. Namely, messages with the same subject would be visible to EVERYONE who received that message, which made many private messages a lot less than private. As a result, the function has been temporarily removed until they can fix the issue.
    (Insert fancy image here)
  • smeeinn1t
    smeeinn1t Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Here are my first impressions/thoughts on the new forum:

* I can't find the Dev Tracker.

I don't believe they have one set up. Remember, this forum wasn't used for many larger games until now, so there are some things that will need to be worked on or added.
    * Default text is too small.

That's a matter of opinion. The text size, for me, is perfectly fine, the text color is the issue.
    * Colors of the whole forum is dark/bland with low contrasting backgrounds.

This I agree with. They went from forums with highly customized backgrounds and pages to this bland mess.
    * No color options when making a new post. Apparently we can use coding if we know it?

Correct. Using the BBCode for color will allow you to use colors in your posts. Also, some members of the forums are working on a CSS injection that will add more options to the post box.
    * It's difficult to tell where quoted text and new message body begin/end.

Agreed. Again, as ridiculous as it may sound, forum users are working on fixing this.
    * It's even more difficult to tell when message body ends and signature begins.

Fixed with the CSS injection created by nrglg.
    * Avatars are too small (hard to see).

Also fixed by nrglg's CSS injection.
    * Signature pictures are too big. Yes, I know I can adjust settings to remove sigpics, but I don't want to get rid of them entirely. IIRC, previously there was a 150x500 pixel limit and four lines of text, and that seemed appropriate, can something like that be enforced here?

Right now, the admins are kind of busy with the migration process. I would assume this is something that will be focused on after the process is complete, and guidelines can be officially set up for all the forums that are now part of this page.
    * The Flag/Quote options are not buttons and are difficult to see. They are single-word links with nothing to make them stand out as links (ie no bolding, no different colors, no underlines, no button graphics/pix).

Again, matter of preference.
    * Old links to articles/posts/threads no longer work. How can we find that important information?

The only way to find that information is to manually search for it... We were warned that the migration would likely break links, since the forum uses a different system for thread IDs that vB.
    * How can I change the number of posts per page?

As of right now, there's no option for it. I agree that there does need to be one, though.
    * When I scroll to the bottom of a page, I don't see a Next or Forward button, or any other option to select the next page. I have to scroll back to the top to queue forward.

Fixed with nrglg's CSS injection.
    * There's no post number. So I can't be making a reply in a thread and say, hey, look back to post #xx.

That's probably a forum limitation... If you want to reference a post, Quote it. If you're referencing it in a different thread, Quote it, Copy the output from the box, then Paste it in the box for whatever thread you're attempting to reference it in. The >> beside the poster's name in the Quote will take the user back to the post in whatever thread it's in.
    * There doesn't appear to be a way to multi-quote multiple posts in one response.

Just click Quote on each post. It will add them to the box at the bottom of the page, and you can respond to each Quote in kind.
    * Posts don't have a time/year stamp, only date.

Strange, I don't see a date on the posts themselves. I only see a time. Or are you referring to older posts?
    * No "New Posts" link so I can see any new posts that have been added.

"Discussions" is the link that will take you to the list of threads that have recently been posted in. Then, just click on the link to the latest post, and it'll take you to the newest posts of the thread.
    * Dev names don't show up in Bolded Yellow.

This is something that will probably be taken care of when the forum migration is complete. There are higher priorities right now than getting name colors/titles changed. After all forums are migrated, I expect them to get moderators, devs, and admins all clearly marked.
    * I don't have my Forum Titles (like my LTS Career Officer or my Delta Rising Operations Pack DQ Ambassador).

Same answer as above. Wait until the forum migration is fully complete, so that the admins have a chance to take care of some of the more mundane things.
    * When writing a post, the format is not WYSIWYG, and the Preview button doesn't seem to work right... I guess it's a preview, but it still isn't quite what is actually going to be viewed when the post is done.

As cliche as it sounds, the forums are still a WIP. In the meanwhile, using nrglg's CSS injector will assist in making the forums more usable. :smiley:

Wow this post tells me one thing, Vanilla is the wrong choice for a game like STO. Why the hell did we have to migrate to this amateurish pile of shtako.

MAJOR IP ?!

Well done PWE, first Arc and now this...

Hmmm H-E-L-L is censored?
    V9BQ6SM.gif
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." — Lazarus Long [font="title-Space Cadet ☮"][/font]Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • comrademoco
    comrademoco Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Please find this, just trying to test the @ thing.

@comrademoco

Seems like it doesn't work. Can someone else try and tag me? ☺

Categories