test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Companions can't defend anymore

hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,460 Arc User
One of my alts runs with a Frost Mimic, which very recently was the best defender in the game. Now it can't get aggro anymore -- it behaves like just another companion, and my alt, who who was built to rely on a defender, doesn't have one any more. Is this really WAI?
Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured

Comments

• nitocris83nitocris83 Member, Cryptic Developer, Administrator Posts: 4,495 Cryptic Developer
    I'll escalate this for investigation.
  • putzboy78putzboy78 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,950 Arc User
    tanks can't hold agro anymore, why should companions be any better?
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    Personally, I selected most all of my companions based upon a theme. This is why my husband is the car buyer in our family. I look at the car and say, "Now that's good color." and he just sighs and looks at the little details. You boys like to look under the hood too much! <3
    wb-cenders.gif
  • regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,043 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    Well, you could say the same about the permanent Soul Puppet from Warlocks... not saying that companions or puppets should be able to really tank anything, but they should be able to grab and hold the attention from regular enemies.

Anyway, i thought that all the regular companions were pretty much broken since the release of Undermountain, the healing ones can't heal for youknowhat, the damage dealing ones deliver a pitiful amount of damage if they even manage to hit their targets, and can't say i've seen any "defender" doing their job properly either.

Would be nice if the Devs could find the time to address the overall companion issues, or at the very least give us please something more then the "We're looking into it." line from several MONTHS ago about the healer companions.
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
  • milehighxr#1299 milehighxr Member Posts: 461 Arc User
    putzboy78 said:

tanks can't hold agro anymore, why should companions be any better?

My pally only has problems holding aggro when the rest of the groups has 30% more power or more than I do. When that is the case, and I am out of smite I'm basically window dressing. Especially in events like TOO where starting with the 3rd run you can't really use at wills much. Not that pallys at wills have been any good since mod 16...
  • milehighxr#1299 milehighxr Member Posts: 461 Arc User
    regenerde said:

Would be nice if the Devs could find the time to address the overall companion issues, or at the very least give us please something more then the "We're looking into it." line from several MONTHS ago about the healer companions.

100% agree, I'm still waiting to hear from the devs on whether bondings work as intended or not, if they will be fixed if they are indeed broken. The description makes it sound like HP should also be added to my toons stats like all the other stats are, and that is not the case. Sounds like false advertising to me. I've asked many times, in multiple discussions, and nothing but crickets from the dev team...
  • merik1999merik1999 Member Posts: 141 Arc User

I'll escalate this for investigation.

So in other words, don't hold your breath because odds are nothing will be done, nor will we update you on anything we do...if anything at all?

• sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    @merik1999 The name of the company is Cryptic Studios, if she worked Obvious Studios across the street that would be a different story.

Here is a quick run down of what I am noticing with my companions in combat. All of these companions are rank 40, I am not even talking about the math, and I am just pointing out behavior differences.
    1. Renegade Evoker - Seems fine, no odd or unexpected behaviors.
    2. Skeleton - No longer draws the aggro as much as before.
    3. Cambion Magus & Soul Puppet - The puppet no longer draws the aggro, the Cambion Magus is slow to deal damage.
    4. Wayward Wizard - No longer draws the aggro and dies in combat more often.
    5. Sellsword - No longer draws the aggro as much as before.
    6. Battlefield Medic - utterly worthless ... replaced with Honey Badger
    7. Renegade Illusionist - Slower than before on attacks.
    8. Xuna - Seems fine, no odd or unexpected behaviors.
    This list in the hopes that Julia can get attention to this it deserves from a team member. Then we must hope that the developer in charge of this can make the appropriate changes and present them to be implemented within the near future.

Edit: Side note about the soul puppet's audio. The ambient audio (gurgling water) of it healing is still very odd and I don't recall that ever being the healing noise it made. It needs to be replaced or turned down.
    wb-cenders.gif
  • xariamaxariama Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    I'll add my two cents on this one. I have a max level Angel companion that used to be able to keep up on heals just fine. Now, I'm popping healing stones like they're Pez candy, because she can't heal worth a flip. On another character, I use a Defender companion to keep aggro off of her. I can't play said character anymore, because the companion doesn't do squat. This is definitely not "working as intended", it needs to be fixed. Otherwise, just shutter the game if you're not willing to fix anything, and just shove the latest expansion down our throats.
    Kelvar Lo'Zakven, 70 Drow Elf Ranger

"Don't underestimate your foe. If you do, you're probably dead." - Kelvar, to Torrence the Strong