test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

another idea: hitchhiking NPCs

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Here's an idea for a set of repeatable missions that might add to the feel of Trek-ness:

What if there were a number of NPCs that would hitchhike with players between various locations, hanging out in your ship interrior until you reached their desired destination. On dropping them off they would give some reward. To prevent you from holding on to them too long, if you haven't dropped them off after x number of minutes you get a dialogue saying they've beamed onto another ship.

Because they would be travelling NPCs, only being with one player at a time, it would add an element of surprise when you run into them.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    i like that idea.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I like this. In fact I'd like to see the mission with the Vulcan ambassador retrofitted for this.

It seems to me we could get some optional shipboard missions from visiting (or captured, ala the Treasure Trading station ferengi) NPCs.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I'm thinking also, that, these traveling NPCs shouldn't only come aboard when they've got some detailed story to involve you in. Sometimes it would just be "Captain, can I please have a lift to Risa?" and that's it. But if they occassionally initiatied more in depth missions, then this would be an incentive to seek them out, give them rides, and talk to them in your ship interior.

Maybe, also, each time you give the a ride, you build your friendship with them, making it more likely they will give you good rewards in the future.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Wheels00 wrote: »
    I'm thinking also, that, these traveling NPCs shouldn't only come aboard when they've got some detailed story to involve you in. Sometimes it would just be "Captain, can I please have a lift to Risa?" and that's it. But if they occassionally initiatied more in depth missions, then this would be an incentive to seek them out, give them rides, and talk to them in your ship interior.

Maybe, also, each time you give the a ride, you build your friendship with them, making it more likely they will give you good rewards in the future.

I like the idea of some passengers being a mix of good and bad.

Sometimes, this guy is pulling a Harry Mudd-style scam and sometimes he's doing honest humanitarian work. Not the standard genre, moustache twirling rogue but a true rogue, who mixes criminal dealings (which you ought to try to expose) with good work (which you should do your best to encourage).

Maybe you have a hitchiker unique to your ship, procedurally generated, and you help determine whether they become a humanitarian or a criminal, a prophet, a jailed conman or a dangerous terrorist. Like the nemesis system for Champs but lower key.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I like the idea of some passengers being a mix of good and bad.

Sometimes, this guy is pulling a Harry Mudd-style scam and sometimes he's doing honest humanitarian work. Not the standard genre, moustache twirling rogue but a true rogue, who mixes criminal dealings (which you ought to try to expose) with good work (which you should do your best to encourage).

Maybe you have a hitchiker unique to your ship, procedurally generated, and you help determine whether they become a humanitarian or a criminal, a prophet, a jailed conman or a dangerous terrorist. Like the nemesis system for Champs but lower key.

Yes, great ideas Leviathan! It sounds like we're talking about the STO equivilent of recurring special guest characters in the series, like Vash, Lwaxana Troy, Wesley Crusher after he left, Lore etc.

But I think it would also be good if there were hitchhikers that players share, in addition to player specific hitchikers. A conman or conwoman would be a good shared hitchhiker, because he or she could try the same scam out repeatedly on different players.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Hmmm I like this idea....

I was also thinking that every now and then Starfleet would have you work with Starfleet engineers to help modify your ship (temporarily) and that on occasion bad things might happen that would have you performing minigames or inside your ship small scale missions to resolve the issue (ala the M5 computer)
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    There's gotta be a regulation against picking up hitch hikers.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yep, I can dig it...lets do it.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Wheels00 wrote: »
    Yes, great ideas Leviathan! It sounds like we're talking about the STO equivilent of recurring special guest characters in the series, like Vash, Lwaxana Troy, Wesley Crusher after he left, Lore etc.

But I think it would also be good if there were hitchhikers that players share, in addition to player specific hitchikers. A conman or conwoman would be a good shared hitchhiker, because he or she could try the same scam out repeatedly on different players.

A futher thought on the shared hitchhiking conman NPC idea: if the character prooved popular, it could be loaded with a set of different scams it would try on players, and could have a simple learning algorythm such that as players begin to wise up to its tricks, it would begin to favour a different scam (and put on a disguise?:p)

If NPC hitchhikers had this risky element, it would be important of course that they were a reasonably optional aspect of the game.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I like the idea I would have it setup that once in awhile is if you don't meet the deadline that the npc becomes Q and says you did not get me there on time bad boy as 5 borg cubes start attacking you.:)
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I like the idea I would have it setup that once in awhile is if you don't meet the deadline that the npc becomes Q and says you did not get me there on time bad boy as 5 borg cubes start attacking you.:)

Lol. ..........
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I love it.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Any more ideas for hitchhiking NPCs?

What about a group of children who won a competition to visit your ship? (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disaster_%28Star_Trek:_The_Next_Generation%29)