test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

STO IRC No longer STO account friendly.

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
edited February 2010 in Ten Forward
Well folks, this is the first I seen an IRC channel regulated to the point where you have to register with a third party in order to say anything anymore. The chat was flooded by idiots, joining with the canned suggested generic names during downtimes, but registered users of this forum cannot talk in it anymore unless you are registered with something called Coldfront.

I understand the idiots in chat need to be culled, and I mean the spammers who throw up garbage rather than conversation. I never spammed, always talked in a friendly fashion, but I'll be damned if I'm going to need to register with yet another system just to be able to chat in real time with fellow trekkie gamers.

I feel it's rather rude to do that. They need to change the log in procedure if they want to keep generic idiots out who aren't interested in chatting about the game, not locking out almost everyone and forcing them to register with something different yet again.

Take a look under my avatar there. I've been here, lurking mostly, in one form or another for a long time. That is the first and last time I am registering with this game. My account is active. I have my key for Feb 2nd. If this is not good enough to talk in the official STO channel, then to hell with it. My first frown here. May it be my last.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Gherick wrote: »
    Well folks, this is the first I seen an IRC channel regulated to the point where you have to register with a third party in order to say anything anymore. The chat was flooded by idiots, joining with the canned suggested generic names during downtimes, but registered users of this forum cannot talk in it anymore unless you are registered with something called Coldfront.

I understand the idiots in chat need to be culled, and I mean the spammers who throw up garbage rather than conversation. I never spammed, always talked in a friendly fashion, but I'll be damned if I'm going to need to register with yet another system just to be able to chat in real time with fellow trekkie gamers.

I feel it's rather rude to do that. They need to change the log in procedure if they want to keep generic idiots out who aren't interested in chatting about the game, not locking out almost everyone and forcing them to register with something different yet again.

Take a look under my avatar there. I've been here, lurking mostly, in one form or another for a long time. That is the first and last time I am registering with this game. My account is active. I have my key for Feb 2nd. If this is not good enough to talk in the official STO channel, then to hell with it. My first frown here. May it be my last.

Coldfront has nothing to do with Cryptic, so the account systems aren't hooked together. What you ran into was automatic flood protection designed to protect the channel against invasions by trolls and spammers. When it activates, it only stays activated for a few minutes; however, I've turned it off so you won't see it again.

Nobody was being rude to you; you got caught up in automatic flood protection.

Our choice was have no flood protection at all, or have the flood protection Coldfront can offer. Integrating with the Cryptic forum authentication isn't possible. Instead I turned off all the flood protection except one thing that gets people who send many lines of text in a single second. Just don't complain when the channel is unreadable due to 1,000 people talking at once.