test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Serious question... what is the point?

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
edited February 2010 in The Academy
Posted this in what appears to be a dead thread so I'm just going to put it out here and see what information I can get.

I'm still trying to figure out what exactly it is we're playing, tbh. What is the goal? I didn't play long enough in the beta to get to know that and haven't seen anything relating to high end content philosophy. I'm in Tier 2 now and it is exactly like Tier 1 except there are now real cruisers roaming around.

So what is there to do in Tier 5? What do you do when you've maxed out skillpoints and are and Adm? Can someone point me at some knowledge?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Bigger ships, bigger guns, pvp, different careers. And when you've maxed a character, you do it all again. And we love it ;)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    When you enter a new area, you get some audio. The game intro gives you some insight. Is it a bit convoluted, yes. While the story isn't fully developed, I guess you just need to ask yourself if you like playing the game.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Kthang wrote:
    Bigger ships, bigger guns, pvp, different careers. And when you've maxed a character, you do it all again. And we love it ;)

My impression is that the Federation side is more akin to a "theme park" mmo without any real linear progression to it. Its simply randomized mission content interspersed with whatever PVP you care to participate in.

The Klingon side however has none of the theme park aspects and is wholly devoted to PVP. In otherwords, it's more akin to sandbox mmos but without much of the elements that typically make up those types of games.

The game has crafting I hear, though I've seen no evidence of it. The Klingon side doesn't even have an exchange. No gathering on either side, unless you count gathering the anomalies. But that's more or less Federation only.

I'm still struggling to see the point of any of it. You level up with nothing to do but PVP at the highest level. That PVP, from what I can tell offers what?? over what I'm already seeing at T1/T2 level? Are there any additional maps? Seriously.. is there no more point to STO than leveling up just to level up?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    When you enter a new area, you get some audio. The game intro gives you some insight. Is it a bit convoluted, yes. While the story isn't fully developed, I guess you just need to ask yourself if you like playing the game.

Well that's just it. I'm trying to figure that out. If the point is just to rush to T5 where I do nothing more than I'm doing at T2, then what is the point exactly?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    For many of us the point is to fly Star Trek ships and shoot at things. Mindnumbing fun. It's Star Trek. I am sure there could be a lengthy explanation of some sorts, but for many it is really that simple. And we do love it. I have played EVE Online, with all its politics, intrigue and action for 7 years and STO was a fresh breath of relaxing sci-fi game. I can just pick it up at any time and not think, just fly and shoot :)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Iggep wrote:
    Well that's just it. I'm trying to figure that out. If the point is just to rush to T5 where I do nothing more than I'm doing at T2, then what is the point exactly?

The point is not to finish the game as fast as possible. The point is to sit back and enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Goal? To, uh, distract us from, uh, everything?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    the game's got more in common with the old strategy game "starfleet commander" than it does an mmo. just enjoy it as a ship combat "arcade sim" ... and hope that over the next year or so someone wakes up and realizes that they're ****ing away a great IP and decides to revamp this entire thing into a game with a wee bit o' depth.

good luck waiting for that.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    moonlit wrote:
    the game's got more in common with the old strategy game "starfleet commander" than it does an mmo. just enjoy it as a ship combat "arcade sim" ... and hope that over the next year or so someone wakes up and realizes that they're ****ing away a great IP and decides to revamp this entire thing into a game with a wee bit o' depth.

good luck waiting for that.

Sadly I can't see spending $14.99 a month for that. I was really hoping for a great Star Trek experience but I don't see anything here that I had hoped to see.

Ahh well. Thanks all.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Kthang wrote:

What he said!:cool:
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'm pretty sure the goal is to have fun. If you are curious about end game content please refer to Cryptic's State of The Game posts or the article about what is coming in the next two months. If you have trouble finding it I know there was also a link to it from massively.com