test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Good Job Devs, Cryptic and all involved for a great launch!

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,018 Arc User
GREAT JOB DEVS for a smooth and successful launch!

Now granted this is a soft launch (head start) with the real server load happening on Feb 2. However in all my 14 years + of MMO gaming, testing, and even some reviewing; Star Trek Online has had perhaps one of the smoothest launches I have experienced in any MMO. It takes a lot of work and not a little luck to have a good MMO launch, unforeseen server loads, hardware failures, software issues all always seem to creep up and render most MMO launches so bug ridden usually at least an hour or 2 if not the entire day of a players game time is wasted or lost due to crashes, lag, and connection issues.

Hell Star Wars galaxies could not even get the website registration right, it took hours on launch day 3 different web browser attempts and then still when I finally got on to Corbantis after hours of trying to get the game working, the game crashed so hard all progress was lost and the game server had to be actually wiped.

I just mentioned SWG in comparison because well you cannot please everyone, and certainly not gamers who will nitpick and declare STO’s launch a failure just because preorder bonuses are unavailable until Feb 2, or it took Cryptic all of an hour to fix the Borg officer issue. All such things are relatively minor and should be expected.

For anyone wanting to debate the success of STO’s launch with me I ask just a few questions…

1.How long did it take to log in? (For myself under 5 minutes)
2.Did Character creation work? (For Me it worked perfectly)
3.Could I complete the tutorial? (For Me again yes, it was a breeze and I was not disconnected even once.)
4.Did I enjoy playing the game and how long did I play without a game ending crash/event? (Again for myself I have had a blast, all but 1 quest functioned properly and the one was a missing reward of an officer I did not need. I gamed with my friend using Ventrilo for 11 HOURS straight. I was disconnected 2 times and after each I could immediately reconnect.)

Did I get a bit of rubber banding on occasion, did I get a hiccup in load times every once in a while? Sure it happens in every MMO, especially during its first few months live. What I can say is Devs, Cryptic, and Atari... THANK YOU... thanks for giving me a great day of fun with my oldest and best friends, good job all your hard work has paid off in spades.

Sincerely,
Doug
aka JEST3R
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    *ignores the gazillion hate threads from people who use Steam*

Hurray for a 100% painless launch!!!!

*returns to reality*
    edited January 2010
    It's the best Cryptic launch, but that's everything I would dare say about it.
    edited January 2010
    Arsilon wrote:
    *ignores the gazillion hate threads from people who use Steam*

Hurray for a 100% painless launch!!!!

*returns to reality*

:rolleyes: The problem with steam is steams own doing not Cryptics Steam manages to single handedly TRIBBLE up every single MMO they offer.
    edited January 2010
    :rolleyes: The problem with steam is steams own doing not Cryptics Steam manages to single handedly TRIBBLE up every single MMO they offer.
    I have never heard of this problem from COH, CO, EVE, AOC, or any other MMO where a 10GB file disappeared. Granted I've only bought a few through Steam, so maybe this problem exists. CAn you post a link to this happening.
    edited January 2010
    You do realize Cryptic has NOTHING to do wth that piece of trash called Steam. I have avoided steam like the plague ever since I first was forced to install it to play Dawn of War 2.

Steam is a piece of GARBAGE, I would recommend instead buying from Atari or D2D.

I feel the pain of those dealing with steam at the moment and if your STO is still not properly working, just search for a STO torrent from open beta and patch up instead.
    edited January 2010
    Can't wait for february 2nd, I hope my first log in will be as smooth as yours OP.
    edited January 2010
    Actually I have not had a problem with Steam on any other game. I think it's more of a verson issue of some kind. There is no way around it so I'll download it tonight, and then apparently again in the morning, and maybe sometime next week will have a working client.
    edited January 2010
    I have the same issue and didn't use Steam. ***The issue is not with Steam***
    edited January 2010

It'd be nice if people actually read Full_Metal's thread rather than bash Steam because it's just easier to do, he actually knows what he's talking about. It's even been forwarded to the dev team because it's something Cryptic did.
    edited January 2010
    Well... the reality is that it was a mediocre Head Start. It took 1.5 hours to be able to log in, and another 2.5-3 hours for my Liberated Borg to show up. It appears that they were/are using the same login servers for STO and CO, and the login servers couldn't handle the deluge.

Yes, SWG's launch was horrible... there's a reason that SWG is 10 on the Torres Scale.

There was a fair bit of rubber-banding from roughly 8PM-9:30PM ET, but aside from that, the game has been very playable. I've been able to complete my missions without bugs. I managed to get to Lt. 5 in a few hours.
    edited January 2010
    I am having a Blast with the game. The steam thing was a pain, but once I read the post about reconfig your directory, the game was a breeze. No slow downs, no rubberbanding on my part.

Plus, all the instances I was alone which was nice...so no need battling 5 heavy Klingon battleships at the same time.
    edited January 2010
    I've had no problems with this headstart. Came home from work, booted the PC, launched the STO patcher, patching took less than a minute, logged in and started playing. Works for me.
    edited January 2010
    I had a beautiful time with this launch, came back from work. loaded up the patcher, didn't even have to patch. Started up the game, rolled a character and gamed for 5 hours straight. Absolutely beautiful.
    edited January 2010
    Ulfhedjinn wrote: »
    It'd be nice if people actually read Full_Metal's thread rather than bash Steam because it's just easier to do, he actually knows what he's talking about. It's even been forwarded to the dev team because it's something Cryptic did.

Again, It is STEAM that hosed you guys, not cryptic. Look at Full_Metals thread it plainly states STEAM moved the install directory. All MMO's have intensive file scanning, checking, and fixing aspects to them. It is down right necessary in MMO's. I am not trying to be a cryptic defendant here, but rather a Steam critic.

I loathe Steam... there is absolutely no reason for Steam to shift the default install directory. Now Obviously cryptic will make a fix, not because it is their fault but rather hell would freeze over first before Steam would correct the issue on their end.

I have a ton of sympathy for those screwed up and not enjoying the game... I hope all of you read the suggested fixes threads (as linked by Uffhedjinn in the quote.) and I hope to see you all in game soon.
    edited January 2010
    JEST3R wrote: »
    Look at Full_Metals thread it plainly states STEAM moved the install directory.

If Valve did this, it's because Cryptic required them to do it. Steam is nothing but an FTP server that handles billing for other companies. All pricing/policy and maintenance of the game is handled by the publisher, not Valve.

And it wouldn't be a problem if this registry key worked properly.

But, hey... http://jubeegankin.bigmandan.com/HatersGonnaHate.jpg
    edited January 2010
    I've seen much much better launch in the other mmorpgs, Aion for example, it was very smooth.

Anyway no pre-order items, no joined trill, no other perks, whats the point playing a headstart, for me its extended beta. I wanted to create a joined trill character, now I have no choice but to play an alt then restart on a new char, which sux big time.
    edited January 2010
    I can agree that it is minorly annoying not having access to the pre-order items at Headstart. I would have liked to have had my joined trill option at character creation. Luckily for me however I like the generic alien template that lets you hand pick all 4 starting traits, many of the races with pre-choosen traits lack anything truly ground breaking in my opinion. I find advantage in being able to select 4 space specific traits, never mind the advantage of the Character creator for Generic alien, I can litterally switch at will my look to nearly any alien race in STar Trek.

Currently I am enjoying life as a "Free-Alpha" Jem' Hadar.

As for steam, again I have beaten that dead horse in my opinion about that POS software. It is far more then a simple FTP download tool. For example to play Dawn of War 2 (my initial experience with steam) I actually BOUGHT the game from a store. I had physical discs. To play Dawn of war 2 not only was I forced to install steam for no apparent reason, but for the game to be played I had to LOGIN to steam online to play the single player offline campaign.

Then of course on my network if my son was playing another game which required Steam to be running it would not let me login with the family account as well to play the single player offline game campaign of DOW2. Then of course Steam became linked to my damned Microsoft login which is used for my Xbox 360 on my home network. So yet MORE login issue conflicts with steam if my son was playing a game on Xbox Live and I simply wanted to play DoW2.

That my friend is an invasive and annoying POS piece of Software forcing itself upon a user. Now granted many people seem to like steam and disagree with my opinion about it. I of course grant everyones point in having a just as valid opinion about Steam as mine is. But Steam has proven itself to be far more then just a simple FTP download tool. Direct2Drive does the same thing as Steam says it does, but D2D does not cause login conflicts, nor have I encountered a Store bought game that forces me to install D2D to play an offline single player game from a DvD installed game.

So my opinion is simple, Avoid Steam like the plague and my life is that much easier... I am sure I am not the only person with that opinion.

Good gaming everyone in STO!
    edited January 2010
    *sigh* It's not Steam. Me and at least one other poster I've seen had the 10g patch issue with the launcher without getting the game through Steam. Never touched Steam, likely never will, but this is not a Steam issue.
    edited January 2010
    Just want to say my thanks too. Sorry I didn't read the OP, but wanted to say thanks without making an entirely new thread.

Thank you Cryptic. I am enjoying Star Trek Online very much with only a few things aside.

Huzzah!
This discussion has been closed.