test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Crashes

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,018 Arc User
edited January 2010 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
So this has only been happening today.

Definitely a major issue.

I get the typical 'you are a character in space' bug from time to time, but today have gotten it 3 times, and two of those three times instead of rectifying itself into a ship it has crashed the game outright.

Anyone else running into this?
My theory is lag + a bit of bad code = culprit.

PS

Whenever I show up as a 'ship in a base' I haven't crashed (not yet) and it seems to eventually snap back to being a character.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    I have crashed 8 times so far from this. Again, this is only after the latest patch.

Each one of those times I was attempting to "Beam Up". Two were in the Delta Volonis Cluster, one was from Spacedock, can't remember where the others were. So it doesn't seem to be tied to location at all.

I've encountered the "beam down as ship" bug a lot more lately too, but the crash hasn't resulted for any of those instances.

I REALLY hope this gets fixed in a patch tomorrow, because I won't be able to test any ground content for Cryptic without looking forward to a crash followed by 5 minutes of verifying files each time.
    edited January 2010
    Its probably a 'two steps backward, one step forward, three steps backward and finally 20 steps forward' affair.

The code involved in transferring from space-to-ground and vice versa is obviously still screwed up.

It wouldn't be so irritating except for the long wait times to log back in after each crash XD :p
    But what else is beta for?

Good times....
    edited January 2010
    i also have been getting this today.. and only today.. never has STO EVER crashed for me for any reason.. now today, 4 crashes in a row after beaming up or down and the game loading the wrong ground/space model...

PLEASE FIX THIS!!!!!

worst part is after every crash the loader auto checks all my game files which takes like 5 mins

i miss last night... i played 6 hours straight. no lag. no issues
    edited January 2010
    ATTENTION;

no idea if it will work for you but this works for me as a temporary workaround that involves no waiting for the server to stop being busy and no file checking.

Procedure;

You beam out. you see your character in space.
    Immediately hit escape and 'log out' then enter your password and log back in.

Each time I have done this, it has taken an extra second to load the char and maps list but then when it loads back to space everything is fine.

Its also never made me 'wait for the server' as long as I didn't actually quit the program.