test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why is the server ALWAYS busy???

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
edited January 2010 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
It takes 20 minutes of trying to login before I actually can. I know it's the beta but all I'm trying to do is login for christ sakes. One would think Logging in would be a simple enough thing to implement one would think.
:mad::mad::mad:
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    You fail at basic reading. Why don't you actually try reading what Cryptic posts about it and then you won't waste your time looking like someone who can barely manage to wipe themselves after taking a dump.

Directly from the launcher window itself. You know; the one you have to click "ENGAGE" to start the game. So obviously you don't pay attention, but for the benefit of anyone else who might have overlooked it, (God only knows how you managed THAT) I'll post it here.

"January 16, 2010
    We are aware of the issue where many players are unable to log in.
    Below are the current steps we are taking to improve the situation:

1) We're increasing server capacity. We have new machines coming
    in to add to the server, and we've put a rush order on them. We're
    going to bring them online as soon as we can.

2) We're working on software solutions as well. Our development
    team is working night and day to be able to get as much power as
    we can from each machine, and we're focusing on increasing
    capacity, and server stability.

For now, all we can say is, please keep trying. We know it's
    frustrating. Please keep trying though. You never know when you
    might be able to get in!

Thank you for your patience, thank you for your support, and thank
    you for your interest in Star Trek Online!

The Star Trek Online Team"
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    It's a part of BETA testing. Server load and such is simply a part of how the game operates. We have to deal with this as a part of any beta test that we join. This is maybe the 2nd or 3rd game I have beta tested and it's always the same thing. Bugs, bugs, bugs, annoyances, etc. You're working out the kinks and such, not playing the game as a subscriber. ;)

Think of it this way, you're upset because you can't play, but you do want to play, the game is good enough to deal with beta annoyances and still wish to play.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    With the game coming out in less than 2 weeks I would think they would have had the foresight to see this problem. If I was to give out X amount of beta keys and I couldn't handle the load you think that maybe they would come up with some kind of que to get into instead of having to constantly retry. I find this UNACCEPTABLE. If they dont fix this FAST then I'm OUT.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Very well...
    And put a counter that says: "You are the 123456789 player in queue"?
    It would be useful...
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    There have been a lot of people waiting for this game for a long time, so I'm not surprised the open beta load would be huge already, but it's only going to get bigger. It sounds like this is a common problem, which kind of points to the fact it just hasn't been thought about properly at all.

I can see this being an annoyance well past the end of the beta. At the VERY LEAST a queue system will be needed, but subsciptions will fall through the floor after month 1 if the servers can't handle the demand once the game goes live
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Why do people keep using the argument, "the game is coming out in two weeks!". Two weeks seems like a lot of time to me, you've got a ton of people playing (obviously) and hopefully sending in bug reports. You've got crews at Cryptic 24/7 addressing those issues as well, so why do so many people keep getting bent out of shape about it?

Play when you can, and do a bug report whenever you find a problem, that is our role in beta testing. Beta testing isn't so that we can max out our characters, so getting maximum login time isn't necessary. Sure its frustrating not getting to play a game you enjoy (which I do), but look on the brightside, it's free right now
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    REACT wrote:
    With the game coming out in less than 2 weeks I would think they would have had the foresight to see this problem. If I was to give out X amount of beta keys and I couldn't handle the load you think that maybe they would come up with some kind of que to get into instead of having to constantly retry. I find this UNACCEPTABLE. If they dont fix this FAST then I'm OUT.

Man you people are stupid.

The whole purpose of BETA is to test the game NOT play it for your enjoyment.

They PURPOSELY gave out more keys than they thought the servers could handle. They have no idea until it is hit how many players can be handled on the hardware they have with out extreme testing.

The point in this is to establish a server load capability cause you CAN NOT determine how much your servers can handle in a private setting based off of system specs. They NEEDED to overload the servers to see what they can handle before they hit capacity.

Cryptic is AWARE of the situation. They HAVE STATED they have NEW hardware on it's way.

Once that hardware is installed and put into the server farm then hopefully this issue will be gone but again there is no guarantee even the new hardware can handle it all.

Also remember this is the FIRST weekend this game has had such a large amount of people hammering the servers. This was expected and should have been expected. If you have never played a MMO Beta before this is what happens EVERYTIME.

But I do agree that they should have implemented a queue system. Why this was not in place is kinda stupid on their part. Maybe it's just an oversight sure to be fixed by release.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    REACT wrote:

This is exactly what the Open Beta Phase is for to test server loads so they can calibrate it properly and make sure they have enough for the demand. They didnt know how many people it the server can take until they test it.. now they have an idea of whats needed they are getting the hardware to handle it.

Closed Beta could not give them this information.

Though I think in hindsight a login queue would be something they should work on.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    AndrewCrow wrote:
    Why do people keep using the argument, "the game is coming out in two weeks!". Two weeks seems like a lot of time to me, you've got a ton of people playing (obviously) and hopefully sending in bug reports. You've got crews at Cryptic 24/7 addressing those issues as well, so why do so many people keep getting bent out of shape about it?

Play when you can, and do a bug report whenever you find a problem, that is our role in beta testing. Beta testing isn't so that we can max out our characters, so getting maximum login time isn't necessary. Sure its frustrating not getting to play a game you enjoy (which I do), but look on the brightside, it's free right now

You are clearly not a coder if you think two weeks is a lot of time.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    i hav to agree with all the people saying about addign a counter, at least then u know when u can join, like wow;s one. When the server is full it says "you are 157th login time 15 mins" or words to that effect. How much easier would that make it for everyone
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Q: Why is the server ALWAYS busy???
    A: 'cause FAT BOB n his famly r in! Serverhampster r too weak to handle much moar!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    A queue system would be ideal.

In regards to a prompt fix is that that is costing them a lot of money not being able to efficiently set things so that players can actually play the game. In my case, the experience has been somewhat disappointing and I was using this open test to judge the game if I wanted to buy it... even go for a lifetime subscription. But with the shoddy login system and random disconnects and the fact the game in some ways is unpolished (yet promising) you'd start thinking twice before getting that lifetime subscription.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    AndrewCrow wrote:
    Why do people keep using the argument, "the game is coming out in two weeks!".

the same reason you all say "this is beta, expect it"

two weeks IS NOT a lot of time to fix some major issues, this is a major issue that can't be completely resolved by hardware

there NEEDS to be a QUEUE system in this game, no matter if they think they have enough servers or they do, just INCASE , and its pretty poor they didn't think about this ahead of time.

i still like the game
    and will still buy it

but 6 hours now, and I'm still "clicking" login, and not in game
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I've done quite a bit of Open Beta testing. There are things you expect. Lag should be one of those issues since OB should be for server capacity testing, balancing and working out minor glitches. Some of the issues present in game now, IMHO, shouldn't be there. A queue system would be greatly beneficial to everyone.

The game simply isn't where it should be considering it is 2 weeks from release. I am glad I didn't preorder.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    You are clearly not a coder if you think two weeks is a lot of time.
    You clearly don't work for a commercial software development house if you think two weeks isn't a lot of time.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Its not like they need to have the most updated version burned on DVD. Before widespread use of internet, sure you had to hope the game you shipped was 100% complete, cause good luck 'patching' it. Nowadays, you make sure your launcher is solid and then update as needed.

Cryptic could have gone "Lets see, these are the numbers we had for the CoH/CoV games, and Champions Online, lets start at 'x' number for Star Trek. Its more efficient for them to underestimate how many people would be interested in the game, than over-estimate the interest and buy alot of hardware they didn't need at the time.

Sure the game isnt finished, but its enough to keep my interest until it is. I mean, it could be worse, this could be Battlecruiser 3000, or Daikatana or something.