test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

BUG: Anti-Aliasing Cannot Be Enabled

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,018 Arc User
edited January 2010 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
I have a Radeon HD 4870 X2, I know for a fact my GPU supports it, so this is definately a bug, please see the screenshot below to see what I mean, the mouse icon, which is missing from the screenshot is hovered over the Antialiasing option:

http://i48.tinypic.com/25po68j.png
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    I dont want to sound rude, but you should read the patch notes, AA has been disabled for some video cards
    edited January 2010
    There was a nasty bug found with ATI video cards and AA enabled. Some of the visual effects started acting like strobe lights that just sucked all system resources until the system ran at a snails pace. Even on machines that had monster video cards the effect was so large it filled the screen making it impossible to see anything else while it was going on.
    edited January 2010
    Well, guess I'll stop playing until the fix it, and the gameplay in general. Actually, at this point STO is a bug itself!
    edited January 2010
    mlauzon wrote: »
    Well, guess I'll stop playing until the fix it, and the gameplay in general. Actually, at this point STO is a bug itself!

at what point didn't you understand "beta"? And how long it will take you to realize that AA is possible on any modern card??
    edited January 2010
    EaglePryde wrote: »
    at what point didn't you understand "beta"? And how long it will take you to realize that AA is possible on any modern card??

Closed Alpha, Closed Beta, Open Beta MMO experience: 10+ years
    Gaming experience: 30 years
    Computer experience: 30 years

Cryptic doesn't know how to code properly for non-nVIDIA GPUs, have you ever seen how crappy City of Heroes/City of Villians is on an ATi GPU!
    edited January 2010

Cryptic doesn't know how to code properly for non-nVIDIA GPUs, have you ever seen how crappy City of Heroes/City of Villians is on an ATi GPU!

You like to whine and complain a lot dont you?

For the record I dont care how much "experience" you have in the industry the fact is is that its beta. The game is not expected to work properly and if you have an issue with ATI's cards then get a nVidia card.
    edited January 2010

And yet you didn't notice that NCSoft has been in controll of CoH/CoV almost since those games went out and that it's NCSoft's job to improve those games and not Cryptic since they don't have anything to do with them anymore.

Oh wel...a troll will be a troll no matter what angle you look at them...
    edited January 2010

This is probably one of the most petty reasons to quit that I've ever seen in an MMO forum. You're going to stop playing because you can't enable anti-aliasing? I agree that it would look better with AA, but it in no way impacts my gameplay experience.
    edited January 2010
    There have been more than a few games that have released with issues enabling AA on ATI hardware (espeically on X2 and crossfire configurations). This is not an unusual issue by any stretch of the imagination.

I will be disappointed if it is not fixed by launch, but I consider it a low priority issue in the grand scheme of things.
    edited January 2010
    skylr616 wrote: »
    There have been more than a few games that have released with issues enabling AA on ATI hardware (espeically on X2 and crossfire configurations). This is not an unusual issue by any stretch of the imagination.

I will be disappointed if it is not fixed by launch, but I consider it a low priority issue in the grand scheme of things.

Those "issues" are often agreements between nvidia and the dev. However, I would be happy if cryptic could sort that out asap :)
    edited January 2010
    Torklan wrote: »
    There was a nasty bug found with ATI video cards and AA enabled. Some of the visual effects started acting like strobe lights that just sucked all system resources until the system ran at a snails pace. Even on machines that had monster video cards the effect was so large it filled the screen making it impossible to see anything else while it was going on.

Yup, I experience this even on an NVIDIA card during closed beta. I didn't find out this was the root of the problem until I started playing around with graphic settings. It was much worse in ground combat.

But if you use bloom effects and dynamic lighting, you really don't need AA since some edges will be smoothed due to lighting (since bloom and dynamic lighting are post processing effects). And I've seen bloom and AA fight each other in some game engines.

I usually run AA off now in most games. It was useful back in the days, but just gets in the way most of the time now.