test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Bug Reporting - What it is and what it isn't

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,018 Arc User
edited January 2010 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
Ok, not even an hour into the beta and we're seeing reports that aren't bugs here. We want to avoid flooding the bug forum with things that aren't bugs. Doing so makes it more difficult for Cryptic to see the real bugs in order to fix them.

First of all, bugs do not include not being able to connect because the server (or map) is full. This includes login issues related to that as well as getting kicked out of the game itself. It also doesn't include issues where the server gets reset or crashes. If you have any of these issues and what to discuss them, there are other forums for doing that and if you want to offer suggestions, such as having a queue instead of being kicked all the way out, there's a feedback forum where you can put that.

Now, if you have a legitimate bug, here's what you want to make sure that you include in your bug report (whether it's in the forum or in the game itself).

1) Complete description of what the bug is. Don't just say "the game crashed." Don't just say "My graphics are messed up." Give a real description of what happened or what you see.

2) Explain what you did to create the bug. Did you try to warp and then crashed? Did you level up and your graphics started flickering? Etc. Explain everything that led up to the bug occurring. If it always happens, say that too.

3) Give your system specs... as a bare minimum, include OS, CPU, Graphics, RAM, Sound. Also, include your settings that you're using in the game including resolution, shadow setting, draw distance settings, etc.

4) If appropriate for the bug, include a screenshot (this is likely only possible when posting the bug on the forum).

5) Include whether or not you can reproduce the bug. This is actually very important as it helps them to know how the bug is affecting the game and what it might be related to.

Remember that it is very difficult for someone to find a bug if all you say is "My graphics are messed up." Instead, if you tell them your graphics messed up when you did X and the graphics are doing Y and your settings are Z on a system with such and such hardware, they can much more easily track the cause of the bug.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Riamus wrote: »
    Ok, not even an hour into the beta and we're seeing reports that aren't bugs here. We want to avoid flooding the bug forum with things that aren't bugs. Doing so makes it more difficult for Cryptic to see the real bugs in order to fix them.

First of all, bugs do not include not being able to connect because the server (or map) is full. This includes login issues related to that as well as getting kicked out of the game itself. It also doesn't include issues where the server gets reset or crashes. If you have any of these issues and what to discuss them, there are other forums for doing that and if you want to offer suggestions, such as having a queue instead of being kicked all the way out, there's a feedback forum where you can put that.

Now, if you have a legitimate bug, here's what you want to make sure that you include in your bug report (whether it's in the forum or in the game itself).

1) Complete description of what the bug is. Don't just say "the game crashed." Don't just say "My graphics are messed up." Give a real description of what happened or what you see.

2) Explain what you did to create the bug. Did you try to warp and then crashed? Did you level up and your graphics started flickering? Etc. Explain everything that led up to the bug occurring. If it always happens, say that too.

3) Give your system specs... as a bare minimum, include OS, CPU, Graphics, RAM, Sound. Also, include your settings that you're using in the game including resolution, shadow setting, draw distance settings, etc.

4) If appropriate for the bug, include a screenshot (this is likely only possible when posting the bug on the forum).

5) Include whether or not you can reproduce the bug. This is actually very important as it helps them to know how the bug is affecting the game and what it might be related to.

Remember that it is very difficult for someone to find a bug if all you say is "My graphics are messed up." Instead, if you tell them your graphics messed up when you did X and the graphics are doing Y and your settings are Z on a system with such and such hardware, they can much more easily track the cause of the bug.

What would we do with out you!
    edited January 2010
    You can be sarcastic if you want, but the majority of people "testing" the game in open beta have never beta tested before and don't have any idea how to report bugs in a way that they can get fixed. Just because you know (I assume), doesn't mean everyone else does.
    edited January 2010
    Riamus wrote: »
    You can be sarcastic if you want, but the majority of people "testing" the game in open beta have never beta tested before and don't have any idea how to report bugs in a way that they can get fixed. Just because you know (I assume), doesn't mean everyone else does.

I've never beta tested any games before however the majority of what you stated in your initial post is kind of common sense to me seeing as "Oh noes! My game haz crashes!" can mean ol' anything.